Crunch Relief

edited July 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Thank you.

:D

Comments

• ParliamentFunkadelicParliamentFunkadelic Opening Act
    edited July 2007
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    He said "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGG GGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

I'm guessing they are busting ass to get RB done! Hence the name Crunch Relief.

BTW, Shouldn't this be in the general section (this seems a little off topic) Even if you are a HMX employee, still gots the rules man. Next thing you know its pandemonium!
  • edited July 2007
    IbanezBassist_v2;24748 said:
    He said "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGG GGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

I'm guessing they are busting ass to get RB done! Hence the name Crunch Relief.

BTW, Shouldn't this be in the general section (this seems a little off topic) Even if you are a HMX employee, still gots the rules man. Next thing you know its pandemonium!
    He is right you know, Moss. Moved.

NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW!
  • ParliamentFunkadelicParliamentFunkadelic Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    hmxsean;24760 said:

NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW!
    YA! NOW GET BACK TO WORKING ON MY DREAM GAME :p
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Crunch relief sounds like something an over-the-counter drug would solve.

I was just watching some coworkers try to solve a problem in VB.NET for 2 hours before they had to just throw in the towel. I can only imagine crunch time is a lot like that, except you have less time and actually have to find a solution right then and there.

-Jaime
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited July 2007
    Weeeeee Are The Priiiiiiiests! Of The Teeeemple! Oooof Syyyyrinx!
  • edited July 2007
    hmxsean;24760 said:

NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW!
    I AM TEH LAW!!!

Oh, wait.... No, I'm that other thing... not the law. Whoops.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    yeah, hmx programmer, law, easy words to mistake :P
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited July 2007
    Common typo, the keys are like right next to each other.
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    [CENTER]image[/CENTER]

I thought I'd use Wikipedia to help translate your infernal suffering.

Crunch time

Crunch time, or crunching, is another term for extended periods of consecutive overtime. The extra hours worked during crunch time are often unpaid, although some companies give the time back in the form of extra holiday time (often called "comp time").

During crunch periods, project managers often provide:
    • Temporary local accommodation for commuters
    • Meals on site
    • Administration staff to field calls and run errands
    • Extra staff (transferred from other projects to help)
    In the short term, crunching can increase the productivity of a team. But the increase in productivity is not normally proportional to the extra hours; twice the hours is unlikely to produce twice the productivity, due to diminishing returns. Adding extra staff is also not guaranteed to significantly increase productivity at this stage, and can often actually decrease productivity, as noted in The Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks.

As crunch time continues, productivity drops. Frequently, productivity at the end of a crunch is less than would be expected from normal working hours. Quality also suffers as tired developers make more mistakes. Extended periods of crunch time also raise health issues such as: stress, fatigue, exhaustion and poor diet (some company-provided meals are junk food or fast food take-out and developers often increase their consumption of stimulants such as caffeine due to lack of sleep.)

Crunch time is frequently misused in game development projects. Many projects are scheduled with overtime throughout. The International Game Developers Association (IGDA) surveyed nearly 1,000 game developers in 2004 and produced a report to highlight the many problems caused by bad practice.
  • DIEGOROBOT26DIEGOROBOT26 Banned
    edited July 2007
    WingsOfSteel;24768 said:
    Weeeeee Are The Priiiiiiiests! Of The Teeeemple! Oooof Syyyyrinx!
    All the gifts of life are held within our walls!!!!!!!!
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited July 2007
    Or maybe there's just too many kick ass crunching power chords in the game and he has a headache,perhaps like those of Pantera.