My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
edited February 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
WHAT. The biggest demographic watching this show is males 17-40, so shut up.

I'm sure there's other bronies here anyways.

For anyone interested, the first episode. If you feel it's not testosterone-filled enough for you, play the Pony Drinking Game, where you drink every time someone says 'pony', 'Canterlot', 'Equestria', or any Pony Pun™.

Comments

• DustinJames89DustinJames89 Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4383691 said:
    A clopfic is the...DIRTY kind of fic.

Okay, I unfortunately just read it and...I feel a tad ill.....I can not be the only one thinks episode 25 was a shout out to the fanfic. W/ Pinkie Pie going a tad crazy and Rainbow Dash checking in on her....seriously, this could become an Adult Swim cartoon in no time.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited May 2011
    Fan fiction. Oh, to be young and naive again.

Back when the Internet was still in its infancy, the "Sonic the Hedgehog" cartoon series was still popular, and tons of fan fic was being written for it. One or two stories were actually pretty good. Most... weren't.

Lesson learned: Unless you're just that morbidly curious, and are willing to see your childhood or whatever passes for whatever shred of innocence you have left get raped over and over again, stay far, far away from fan fiction.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Aw, apparently season finale is the next episode. At least they've confirmed a second season.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    hiimSMAP;4384441 said:
    Aw, apparently season finale is the next episode. At least they've confirmed a second season.
    Yeah, but they say the episodes for season 2 won't be done until DECEMBER. I'm sure they'll start airing them before that, but JEEZ.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2011
    Fun fact: the voice actress for Twilight Sparkle is also the voice actress for Bubbles, Ben Tennyson, Truffles from Chowder, Terrence from Foster's, Dil Pickles both as a baby and as a 10 year old, and Raven from Teen Titans

Now go back and watch all those shows
    edited May 2011
    I thought I recognized Twilight's voice.....
    I still can't decide my favorite pony, it's either Applejack or Fluttershy...:)
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited May 2011
    HeyRiles;4381863 said:
    I just don't like it as much as Foster's. This show is cute, Foster's was clever

Not sure how the two are related much at all, but Foster's was genius. One of the few truly great newer cartoons. Didn't last nearly as long as it should have.

What's all the hype about this My Little Pony show though? I mean, I haven't watched it, but sure, it seems cute and all, but it basically just comes across to me like another kiddy cartoon based on a girl's toy.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2011
    TheRollingBones;4384667 said:
    Not sure how the two are related much at all

Same creator. Same as Powerpuff Girls
    edited May 2011
    HeyRiles;4384669 said:
    Same creator. Same as Powerpuff Girls
    Not quite creator. Pretty sure Craig McCracken created Powerpuff Girls and Foster's, and Lauren Faust just helped on those(and did eventually take over Powerpuff).
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited May 2011
    Not sure how the two are related much at all, but Foster's was genius. One of the few truly great newer cartoons. Didn't last nearly as long as it should have.

What's all the hype about this My Little Pony show though? I mean, I haven't watched it, but sure, it seems cute and all, but it basically just comes across to me like another kiddy cartoon based on a girl's toy.

The hype is within that MLP is as well written as any other project Faust has worked on before? I'd easily put it above Foster's and on par with PPG and I'm hardly the target demographic.

But yeah, it doesn't help that it's a meme.
    edited May 2011
    Gowienczyk;4384754 said:
    The hype is within that MLP is as well written as any other project Faust has worked on before? I'd easily put it above Foster's and on par with PPG and I'm hardly the target demographic.

But yeah, it doesn't help that it's a meme.

I think (more than anything) it has meme origins, but viewers saw the real quality and kindness expressed by the show, beyond the meme. I found out about it through the meme, but I continue to watch as I legitimately enjoy the show, and really like the messages conveyed about living your life in a positive fashion and dealing with your relationship with others in the same light. The animation is fun too.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but the folks who invisioned the meme pretty much legitimately enjoy the show and it's themes, so I guess it was just awesome fan marketing in the end.
    edited May 2011
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4384705 said:
    Not quite creator. Pretty sure Craig McCracken created Powerpuff Girls and Foster's, and Lauren Faust just helped on those(and did eventually take over Powerpuff).

Plus Lauren is Craig's wife.
    edited May 2011
    seriousbusson;4384908 said:
    Plus Lauren is Craig's wife.
    Hmm, did I not mention that? Guess not...
    edited May 2011
    I hope there's a lot of fan-service with the new season. I would like a Big Mac episode (w/ plenty of "eyups" as well.)
    edited May 2011
    Well, they gave us fan-service in the form of Derpy Hooves in 15.
    edited May 2011
    True, that was some good fan-service.
    edited May 2011

If you do start watching, start with episode 5 because that's when it really gets good.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited May 2011
    Why are we talking about a show targeted at young girls?

...It is targeting at young girls right?
    edited May 2011
    If you've watched it, you can tell it's a great family show under a MLP disguise, with some darker underthemes that get overlooked.
    edited May 2011
    I think just going to Youtube and looking further into the demographics show who the show's audience is:
    Female 13-17
    Male: 18-24
    Males: 25-34
    edited May 2011
    hiimSMAP;4385231 said:
    If you do start watching, start with episode 5 because that's when it really gets good.
    No, no, no, no, no. Start with 1.
    edited May 2011
    I agree, start with episode one, it gives a good, quick introduction of the main characters. You also get an Applejack episode (which I personally always enjoy).
    edited May 2011
    I dunno, Applejack hasn't had a lot going on lately, so she might be the new lowest.
    edited May 2011
    I think it was because they gave Applejack a lot of spotlight the first half of the season. Speaking of seasons, what the heck, one day they're getting ready for spring (Que "Winter Wrap-Up Song), two or three episodes later, Applejack is harvesting the autumn harvest.

I digress, I want more of them all. I'd like to see Rarity fleshed out a bit more too.
    edited May 2011
    DustinJames89;4385252 said:
    I think just going to Youtube and looking further into the demographics show who the show's audience is:
    Female 13-17
    Male: 18-24
    Males: 25-34

That is what the show's demographic has ended up being, although I'm sure it's main intention at least originally, was a family show.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited May 2011
    If I wanted to watch a family show with hidden adult meaning I go watch Rocko's Modern Life.
    edited May 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4385259 said:
    No, no, no, no, no. Start with 1.

Episode 1 though kinda condenses the plot really quickly and isn't that exciting either. Most people I've reccomended this too agree episode 5 was a great starting point.
    edited May 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4385276 said:
    If I wanted to watch a family show with hidden adult meaning I go watch Rocko's Modern Life.

Oh don't get me wrong, that's great too, but this show really is a rarity in that it's the only modern cartoon where I actually like the characters and find them genuinely funny, which hasn't really happened since some old-school Nicktoons.