First Concerts

TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
edited May 2011 in History of Rock
So, I got tickets to my first concert this summer. Soundgarden on July 29 in Vancouver! Should be really awesome. (anyone else happen to be going?) I'll be going with my sister who lives there, and she got us presale tickets right when they came out at 10 this morning, so they should be good seats as well. Like I said, this is gonna be my first, so what should I expect here? What were your first concerts?

AAAHH, SO EXCITED!

Comments

• clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited May 2011
    What you should expect kinda depends on the size of the concert venue, to be honest. And I guess your expectations also rest on how much you like Soundgarden. I guess if you want to get a feel for what they sound like nowadays, try to find recent concert videos people put up on YouTube or wherever, although those will probably be low quality.

In any case, first concert I ever saw was a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert. I was in elementary school, but can't remember any more specifics than that. Maybe it was sixth grade, so 2003-2004. Yeah, let's go with that. In any case, I've seen Tom Petty a lot more than I've seen any other act, and he's always really good.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited May 2011
    It's a fairly big venue, not huge though. We should be fairly close to the front as well. Not front row, but not too far back either. I hadn't listened to a ton of Soundgarden before, but in the last while I have been, and I really like them. 2010-11 vids on Youtube seem really good, even if they are low quality. And my sister's seen them before and says they're good live. I've seen some recent setlists, and they generally have a lot of songs I like of theirs. The tix were $70 too, so not super expensive for good seats.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    My first shows were local West Tennessee bands, mostly of the punk/hardcore variety.

My first bigger show was Better Than Ezra (right after the "Good" single got popular) supported by Skiploader and Poster Children.

As for expectations, prepare to be physically drained and exhausted at the very least. Drink lots of water and take 3D glasses in case you can't see very well.
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    I take it it's a seated venue, then?

Everything pops out at you with 3D glasses, of course.
    edited May 2011
    I love 3D glasses. I keep a pair in my roommate's car for when I'm riding with her.
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it's seated.

Oh man, I'm watching some professional vids of them at Lollapalooza last year. Awesome, just awesome. Can't wait another second!
    edited May 2011
    I'm imagining Bones rocking out at the Soundgarden show with oversized 3D glasses on, surrounded by a bunch of dudes twice his age reenacting stage dive theatrics from old Pearl Jam videos.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    First concert? Stellar Kart, Me In Motion, and Nevertheless.

First mainstream concert? Black Tide, The All-American Rejects, and Taking Back Sunday.
    edited May 2011
    afterstasis;4393374 said:
    I'm imagining Bones rocking out at the Soundgarden show with oversized 3D glasses on, surrounded by a bunch of dudes twice his age reenacting stage dive theatrics from old Pearl Jam videos.

Age is but a number. Real music is timeless.

That's me trying to be deep. :cool:
    edited May 2011
    TheRollingBones;4393370 said:
    Yeah, it's seated.

Makes sense for a band like Soundgarden, though at this point, I would say I much prefer standing-room only places. The acoustics are just so much better, usually, because the places are smaller.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    I went to a third eye blind show when i was like 9,but my first actual show was a Coheed and Cambria show.
    edited May 2011
    I could've gone to a Third Eye Blind show about two weeks ago, but didn't. I don't really regret it, either.
    edited May 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4393413 said:
    Makes sense for a band like Soundgarden, though at this point, I would say I much prefer standing-room only places. The acoustics are just so much better, usually, because the places are smaller.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. Usually a closer performance too, I would guess. But Soundgarden's a pretty big band, I'm not surprised they're playing in a bigger venue.
    clashcityrocker10;4393418 said:
    I could've gone to a Third Eye Blind show about two weeks ago, but didn't.

Those guys are pretty cool. Need to check em out more...
    edited May 2011
    When i saw them it was when they were massively popular.mid-late 90's,1998 i think.
    edited May 2011
    Cubecubed;4393425 said:
    When i saw them it was when they were massively popular.mid-late 90's,1998 i think.

For some reason their name always makes me think of bands like Simple Plan or Green Day, but then I remember that I like them. :p
    edited May 2011
    TheRollingBones;4393421 said:
    Yeah, that's what I've heard. Usually a closer performance too, I would guess. But Soundgarden's a pretty big band, I'm not surprised they're playing in a bigger venue.

Those guys are pretty cool. Need to check em out more...
    Yeah, I don't mean to be ripping on larger venues (after all, my second-favorite concert was Neil Young at Madison Square Garden), but it's definitely a more intimate experience at smaller ones.
    Cubecubed;4393425 said:

They played on my campus as part of Spring Weekend ****. A combination of hating most things about my college and not being particularly interested in Third Eye Blind made me decide my afternoon would be better spent in Manhattan.
    edited May 2011
    TheRollingBones;4393439 said:
    For some reason their name always makes me think of bands like Simple Plan or Green Day, but then I remember that I like them. :p
    I've seen Green Day twice,one of the best live shows in world for sure.Lots of Fire.Good stupid fun.
    edited May 2011
    I kinda forgot I saw Green Day, actually, but I think that's because I saw them the same day after I got back from a trip to Hawaii or somewhere.

Well, that and I had no idea my parents had even gotten tickets to that show until maybe two weeks before it.
    edited May 2011
    Cubecubed;4393450 said:
    I've seen Green Day twice,one of the best live shows in world for sure.Lots of Fire.Good stupid fun.

Well, I actually kinda like Green Day tbh. I meant more like Sum 41 or something. I dunno!

I also just found out that Queens Of The Stone Age and Meat Puppets will be playing with Soundgarden there, and it'll only be one of a couple times they'll be playing together. Just keeps getting better!
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited May 2011
    All my life I've only been to 3.

Kamelot was my first concert. Awesome. Awesome to the max.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    First concert I ever went to was a Waylon Jennings concert when I was 12.
  • KnottyMarieKnottyMarie Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    My first concert was a Foreigner concert
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    I think I'd be too ashamed to name the first concert I went to.....
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2011
    The first few concerts I went to:

The real first was an orchestra doing renditions of Tchaikovsky's material, since I was really into him back then. As in he was practically all I listened to. It was a seated amphitheater deal complete with fireworks at the end. I remember it was raining pretty hard, too, though fortunately there was a roof over most of the theater.

The second was a small Donovan concert. It was seated, though there were not many people in attendance. He was just playing by himself, no one else, no band, just him and an acoustic guitar. It was pretty nice, except for a few drunk audience members who kept yelling out requests like he didn't have a setlist, which was bad due to the lack of people.

The first 'real' concert I went to was Isis. There were relatively few people there, too, but it was damn good. I actually can't remember much from this one, besides there being a slow moving mosh pit going on through the set.
  • DustinJames89DustinJames89 Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    My first concert was No Doubt in 2002. Garbage opened for them as well and it was really good!
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    My first concert was Disturbed and Damageplan. It was pretty awesome. I was super excited to see Disturbed since they were my favorite band at the time and they played the entire Believe album which made it even better since they rarely play those songs live anymore. I didn't know who Damageplan was at the time, I was 12 but I knew Pantera. It turned out to be special since it was one of Dimebag Darrell's last shows before he was murdered.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited May 2011
    My first was Foo Fighters and Weezer, in 2005 when I was 10. But the first I remember was seeing Iggy Pop with my dad the following year... my favourite ever: Green Day last year on my birthday (with AFI) :D
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited May 2011
    My first concert was at a county fair and I got to see simple plan preform.

yes Simple Plan.

my favorite concert was when I saw Cap'n Jazz this past summer, no band has ever matched that energy, fun. came close, but too many losers in the crowd
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    AC/DC was my first show @ age 15. Nassau Coliseum on Long Island.