Official Discussion - Ozzy Osbourne 8 Pack Coming 5/31 - 2 songs exclusive to pack

Comments

• mmetznermmetzner Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Couldn't be happier with the pack so far. I was pretty sure Mr Crowley was going to be announced but nice to have it confirmed, but with the emphasis being on Diary and Blizzard I was hoping for but not expecting Bark at the Moon.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2011
    Sayburr;4393976 said:

eight songs huh? Here is my wishlist:
    I Don't Know
    Suicide Solution
    Mr. Crowley
    Revelation (Mother Earth)
    Over the Mountain
    Flying High Again !!!!
    You Can't Kill Rock & Roll
    Diary of a Madman

Well, got to revise my wish list:

Confirmed:

Bark at the Moon
    Mama, I'm Coming Home
    Mr. Crowley
    Over the Mountain

Wish:

Suicide Solution

Flying High Again
    Diary of a Madman
  • KaradinnKaradinn Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Mr Crowley's organ intro should be pretty fun for the keyboardists.
  • Pointblank41Pointblank41 Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    i think there may be a substantial amount of Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades sort of like that massive Queen week.

In the last podcast someone asked, "any words on if there's pro guitar upgrades for the ozzy pack?" to which someone replied, "i don't know, maybe 1 or 2..." followed by laughter. i think this could potentially be taken as a hint for A LOT of pro guitar upgrades

if two of those songs have pro upgrades available with the pack only, (same way with we will rock you/we are the champions) the other 6 songs might have upgrades available as well
  • Lakers_Fan_24Lakers_Fan_24 Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Kinda pissed, Ozzy is re-releasing Blizzard and Diary. Why in the hell is Bark and Mama on there. Looking forward to Randy not Jake. Oh well, some Ozzy is better than none.
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    Lakers_Fan_24;4396766 said:
    Kinda pissed, Ozzy is re-releasing Blizzard and Diary. Why in the hell is Bark and Mama on there. Looking forward to Randy not Jake. Oh well, some Ozzy is better than none.
    Better six than none. We're going to have 7 out of 16 (15 if you don't count Dee but heck most Rhoades fans would gladly pay two bucks for such an important but short acoustic song) Randy/Ozzy songs, and I have a feeling that we might get the rest at a later date.

Next to Crazy Train, I'd probably pick Suicide Solution and Flying High Again as my favorite tracks, but I have a feeling the pack will be balanced with other songs that aren't as widely known so I might have to wait to sing "wine is fine but whiskey is quicker". (since "Mama" doesn't have keys we might get some of the mellower tracks...ones with keys or strings). Revelations & S.A.T.O. maybe?

I definitely can't get mad at Bark At The Moon, though, and that has great keys by Don Airey, who is in Deep Purple, played with Rainbow, cowrote Mr. Crowley, and played keys for Whitesnake (including "Here I Go Again").

(lol i needed at least a week away from forum...but couldn't resist joining the Ozzy fun)

PS I asked in another thread but does anyone know if the version of Crazy Train on Rock Band 3 is the remixed version with Robert Trujillo on bass or not?
  • tomahawk_72tomahawk_72 Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    Randy Rhoads is my favorite guitarist of all time. I hope (but seriously doubt) that all 8 tracks have pro guitar.
    I also really want Tonight in the pack - cool keys and 2 great guitar solos.
  • Whizzer191Whizzer191 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    FujiSkunk;4396274 said:
    "Weird Al" Yankovic seeks permission as a professional courtesy to his fellow musicians and songwriters, and so he can claim ownership of his additions to the songs (his new lyrics on the parodies, and the flourishes he adds to the polka medleys). He is not legally required to do so.

He brushes on this in the official Weird Al FAQ.
    I didn't know that. Shows that he is classy. Thanks!

I would at least expect 4 pro upgrades for a guitar driven pack like this one. If Queen got 100% upgrades, this one should be pretty close. Definitely more than 1 or 2.

The announcement on his site that the only the pack comes with pro upgrades, then I would expect many upgrades, perhaps all of them.

I also think that would mean either two packs, one with and one without upgrades, or the pro upgrades are free. After all, it makes no sense to make everyone buying the pack, pay for pro upgrades. That's exactly why they are upgrades.

Still, it means that pro people would not be able to cherrypick. Interesting choice if it turns out to be true, especially if the pro upgrades are free.

And as far as I know, rab39, 'Crazy Train' features the original bass and drum tracks, in line with these 30th Anniversary releases, which also have the original recorded tracks restored.
  • tomahawk_72tomahawk_72 Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    kingtonyx;4394325 said:
    "No More Tears" warrants an RB3 version. That was the song they SHOULD have put on RB3 and had "Crazy Train" out as DLC beforehand.

I don't think it will happen though.
    Crazy Train + pro guitar -----hello? One of the greatest riffs of all time.
  • dikettedikette Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    i don't get one thing about this statement in the ozzy site:
    [[ The Ozzy Osbourne 8-pack will include 3 remastered classics from each album including "Mr. Crowley" and "Over the Mountain" as well as additional monster hits "Bark at the Moon" and "Mama, I'm Coming Home" and their built-in Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades only available as part of the 8-pack. ]]

3 of each album is 6 and not 8.
    where they will got the other 2 of them? from the live disc? hell yeah! iron man and paranoid maybe? or am i missing something?

---------------------------------------------
    edited: forget it guys. i just notice that Bark at the Moon and Mama, I'm coming home are the other 2 that aren't in the discs. sorry :)

---------------------------------------------

my picks are
    Blizzard of Ozz
    - Mr Crowler
    - I Don't Know
    - No Bone Movies
    Diary Of A Madman
    - Over The Mountain
    - Flying High Again
    - Diary of a Madman

and the extra two we know that are Bark at The Moon and Mama, I'm Coming Home.
  • Funk-n-steinFunk-n-stein Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    I'm not a metal-head these days by any stretch, but Black Sabbath and Ozzy played a big part in my high-school years. Super excited for this pack, especially since it seems (fingers crossed) that most songs, if not all will have the pro upgrades.

My Picks for the unknown tracks:

From Blizzard:
    Suicide Solution

From Diary:
    Diary of a Madman
    Flying High Again

I'd prefer to trade Suicide Solution for another track off of Diary, like SATO or Little Dolls, since I generally like the sound of "Diary" more than "Blizzard", but I'm not going to complain no matter what comes off of either of those albums - both great.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2011
    jeronemitchell;4394617 said:
    Sorry, man. Copyright 101 says that you still need the original artist's permission to recreate their words/melodies in a non-parody manner.

So, yes... there would still be copyright issues even if it were just a cover.

The cover band needs permission to play and record a cover of the song, but does the company charting the cover of the song need permission from both the cover band and the original band?
  • edited May 2011
    dansolo;4396369 said:
    F yeahh, Over the Mountain is my favorite Ozzy track
    Mine too :)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2011
    HeyRiles;4397010 said:
    The cover band needs permission to play and record a cover of the song, but does the company charting the cover of the song need permission from both the cover band and the original band?

Not necessarily the original band, but a licence has to be obtained from whoever represents the songwriter, which is sometimes the band's label and sometimes a music publisher or some other third party.

Doing covers does make the overall licensing process cheaper but it definitely doesn't make it less complicated.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Please God please.. HELLRAISER!
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2011
    Woo! "Bark at the Moon!" There's at least one I'll be getting!
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Nice to see this pack is scooping up the remaining Ozzy songs available for GH. This is shaping up to be one of the most inspired packs released probably only behind the Doors which has a perfect 12/12 when compared with my dream 12 pack.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2011
    Full track list is out: http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news/00397.shtml

In celebration of the forthcoming reissues of Ozzy's landmark albums, Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, fans will be able to download a new 8-pack of songs for the Rock Band platform on May 31st. The tracklist includes
    "Mr. Crowley,"
    "Steal Away (The Night),"
    "I Don't Know,"
    "Flying High Again,"
    "Over the Mountain,"
    "Diary of a Madman,"
    "Mama, I'm Coming Home" (pack only),
    and "Bark at the Moon" (pack only).

Looks like no cherry picking if you want either of those two last songs...

Thanks goes to Cheech for finding this first.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure they're confused and meant those were the songs to get Pro upgrades. I don't think HMX would actually expect you to pay for the whole pack just to get the song that most people want. That would be a plain stupid thing to do.

EDIT: Or maybe they mean those are the only two songs to not be on either of the re-releases.

Whatever it means, I'm sure it doesn't mean you'll have to buy the whole pack just for one or two songs.
  • dikettedikette Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Sayburr;4398063 said:

In celebration of the forthcoming reissues of Ozzy's landmark albums, Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, fans will be able to download a new 8-pack of songs for the Rock Band platform on May 31st. The tracklist includes
    "Mr. Crowley,"
    "I Don't Know,"
    "Flying High Again,"
    "Over the Mountain,"
    "Diary of a Madman,"

Nice selection!! probably i will grab the full pack even that i'm not a ozzy fan. Nice find, Sayburr and Cheech. thanks!
  • ReaverReaver Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Surprised by "Steal Away (The Night)". Awesome selections though. "Diary of a Madman" is gonna be great. ""Flying High Again" is gonna have a ridiculous solo too. Can't wait!

And lol to the only comment on that page - "are they free?"
  • gamrrpolgamrrpol Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Sayburr;4398063 said:

"Mr. Crowley,"
    "I Don't Know,"
    "Flying High Again,"
    "Over the Mountain,"
    "Diary of a Madman,"

First, I think it's an absolutely awesome pack. I think Ozzy's first two albums are sheer genius (thank and RIP Mr. Rhoades) while all later efforts are hit and miss. While I would have preferred more DofaM or Blizzard, the two additional songs are among my favorite post-RRhoades Ozzy, so it's all good. Given my way, would have loved to have seen Revelations, You Can't Kill R&Roll, SATO and Goodbye to Romance. Still, can't complain at all about the pack.

As for the odd note about the upgrades, I think the key word is "built in" pro-upgrades for the two songs. My guess is this means if you buy the pack, the upgrades are included at no extra cost. But if you buy Mama or Bark individually, you will have to pay for the upgrades.

The quote from Ozzy's site:

"The Ozzy Osbourne 8-pack will include 3 remastered classics from each album including "Mr. Crowley" and "Over the Mountain" as well as additional monster hits "Bark at the Moon" and "Mama, I'm Coming Home" and their built-in Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades only available as part of the 8-pack."
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    dikette;4398100 said:
    Nice selection!! probably i will grab the full pack even that i'm not a ozzy fan. Nice find, Sayburr and Cheech. thanks!

Well, I'm no Ozzy fan either (though I love sabbath), but these picks are great.

Mama I'm Coming Home was totally unexpected, and a very well accepted addition to my library.
  • SnitskySnitsky Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    My picks for the pack said:
    My 8 personal Ozzy picks would be :
    Flying high again
    Killer of giants
    Over the mountain
    Bark at the moon
    I don't know
    Mr. Crowley
    S.A.T.O.
    Shot in the dark
    Real pack said:
    "Mr. Crowley,"
    "I Don't Know,"
    "Flying High Again,"
    "Over the Mountain,"
    "Diary of a Madman,"
    5 out of 8 of my top picks , pretty nice
  • PheranPheran Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    If "pack only" means what I think it means (you have to buy the whole pack if you want either of those two songs), that's a disturbing trend.
  • ReaverReaver Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    If that is the case, blame Sharon ;-)
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Reaver;4398118 said:
    If that is the case, blame Sharon ;-)

Heh, probably.

But yeah, I doubt that's the case. If it is the case for even 1/3 of the packs we get from now on, I'll have a very very hard time so loyally following HMX. Not to mention it's a stupid move financially.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited May 2011
    As far as I know, the only time there were songs we couldn't get as singles was with Abbey Road on TBRB. I don't see them starting now. Maybe you get free pro guitar if you buy the pack.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited May 2011
    I'm hoping they misinterpreted or misread something, so I'm going to wait for Harmonix to comment before freaking out. It seems odd that the only songs for which you'd have to buy the whole pack are the ones that aren't even on the albums they're promoting.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    I'd have no problem with "pack exclusive" songs. Other forms of media distribution do this kind of thing, whether it be DVDs with "special content added", or "deluxe editions" of CDs that feature a new song that is only available in that edition, etc.

Some artists may want all of their material to be distributed together. We've already seen this with AC/DC. I don't see why this couldn't be applied to the DLC model. Maybe Pink Floyd makes that a requirement...that if you want our music, you have to sell "Wish You Were Here" or "The Wall" as complete albums, and not permit singles to be cherry picked.

If that's what the artists want, and HMX and the network owners agree, then they should be allowed that control of their content.