Ultimate Setlist - 83 songs of almost pure perfection

ThedonkeymanThedonkeyman Unsigned
edited May 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Made me one of these super fun lists of songs I would drool over if this happened to become RB4. There may be an under-representation in certain genres (new wave etc), and perhaps an over-representation of metal for some, but see below the list for a genre and decade breakdown. I don't actually like most new wave/post-punk/indie, so I didn't really know what to add for those. Also, there are a few too many for the 2000's I feel...

Also, I suck at defining genres - please overlook any faults.

Let me know what you think in the poll.

A - Nothing (Rock; 2000's)
Advent Children Soundtrack - One Winged Angel (Classical; 2000's)
Aerosmith & Run-DMC - Walk This Way (Rap; 2000's)
Alice Cooper - Love's A Loaded Gun (Rock; 1990's)
Alice In Chains - Them Bones (Grunge; 1990's)

Alkaline Trio - Crawl (Punk; 2000's)
Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post (Blues; 1960's)
The Answer - Come Follow Me (Rock; 2000's)
Anthax & Public Enemy - Bring The Noise (Live) (Rap/Metal; 1990's)
Ash - Burn Baby Burn (Rock; 2000's)

Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Rap; 1980's)
Biffy Clyro - 57 (Rock; 2000's)
Big D & The Kids Table - Noise Complaint (Ska; 2000's)
Black Sabbath - Dirty Women (Classic Rock; 1970's)
Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin' For You (Classic Rock; 1980's)

Breaking Benjamin - Breath (Rock; 2000's)
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (Classic Rock; 1970's)
Buddy Holly - That'll Be The Day (Classic Rock; 1950's)
The Butterfly Effect - Everybody Runs (Alternative; 2000's)
Clutch - Promoter (Of Earthbound Causes) (Alternative; 2000's)

The Cult - Love Removal Machine (Classic Rock; 1980's)
The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love (Rock; 2000's)
Deep Purple - Strange Kind Of Woman (Classic Rock; 1970's)
Derek & The Dominos - Layla (Classic Rock; 1970's)
Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing (Classic Rock; 1970's)

Dream Evil - H.M.J. (Metal; 2000's)
Dream Theater - Scene Nine: Finally Free (Prog; 1990's)
Dropkick Murphy's - The Gauntlet (Punk; 2000's)
Eagles - Hotel California (Classic Rock; 1970's)
Eddie Money - Shakin' (Classic Rock; 1980's)

Edguy - The Piper Never Dies (Metal; 2000's)
Elton John - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues (Pop; 1980's)
Feeder - Just A Day (Rock; 2000's)
Free - Wishing Well (Classic Rock; 1970's)
Funeral For A Friend - Juneau (Alternative; 2000's)

Ghostlines - Brave New World (Alternative; 2000's)
Guns N' Roses - You Could Be Mine (Rock; 1990's)
Hell Is For Heroes - I Can Climb Mountains (Rock; 2000's)
HIM - Wicked Game (Live) (Alternative; 2000's)
The Hives - Hate To Say I Told You So (Punk; 2000's)

Incubus - Smile Lines (Alternative; 2000's)
Iron Maiden - Wrathchild (Metal; 1980's)
JerryC - Canon Rock (Classical; 2000's)
Keane - Somewhere Only We Know (Pop; 2000's)
Kid Rock - Prodigal Son (Rap; 2000's)

The Killers - This River Is Wild (Alternative; 2000's)
K'naan ft. Kirk Hammet - If Rap Gets Jealous (Rap; 2000's)
Ladyhawke - My Delirium (Alternative; 2000's)
Little Richard - Long Tall Sally (Classic Rock; 1950's)
Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Alternative; 1990's)

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) (Metal; 1990's)
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (Classic Rock; 1970's)
Metallica - Fade To Black (Metal; 1980's)
Michael Jackson - Beat It (Pop; 1980's)
Million Dead - Smiling At Strangers On Trains (Punk; 2000's)

Motorhead - Overkill (Metal; 1970's)
Mr. Big - Lucky This Time (Classic Rock; 1990's)
Muse - Plug In Baby (Alternative; 2000's)
New Found Glory - Dressed To Kill (Punk; 2000's)
NOFX - Dinosaurs Will Die (Punk; 2000's)

Noisettes - Never Forget You (Alternative; 2000's)
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (Prog; 1970's)
Placebo - Nancy Boy (Rock; 1990's)
Prince - Little Red Corvette (Pop; 1980's)
Pulp - Disco 2000 (Alternative; 1990's)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way (Rock; 2000's)
Reel Big Fish - Beer (Live) (Ska; 2000's)
Rooster - Standing In Line (Rock; 2000's)
The Roots - The Seed 2.0 (Rap; 2000's)
Scorpions - Still Loving You (Classic Rock; 1980's)

Slash ft. Cypress Hill & Fergie - Paradise City (Rock/Rap; 2000's)
The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Alternative; 1990's)
Sonata Arctica - Replica (Live) (Metal; 2000's)
Stereophonics - Vegas Two Times (Rock; 2000's)
Stone Sour - Zzyzx Rd. (Rock; 2000's)

Streetlight Manifesto - We Will Fall Together (Ska; 2000's)
Sublime - Santeria (Ska; 1990's)
Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down (Punk; 1990's)
Toto - Africa (Pop; 1980's)
Van Halen - You Really Got Me (Classic Rock; 1970's)

Velvet Revolver - Slither (Rock; 2000's)
Weezer - Why Bother? (Alternative; 2000's)
Winger - Seventeen (Rock; 1980's)

DECADES
1950's: 2
1960's: 1
1970's: 11
1980's: 13
1990's: 14
2000's: 41
2010's: 1

GENRES
Alternative: 13
Blues: 1
Classic Rock: 16
Classical: 2
Grunge: 1
Metal: 8
Pop: 6
Prog: 2
Punk: 7
Rap: 7
Rock: 17
Ska: 4

Comments

• SlyDanteSlyDante Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    "Disposable Teens" is already DLC, so you might have to change that. Otherwise, there's a few GH repeats, but overall a pretty good setlist in my opinion!
  • SnitskySnitsky Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    I had to go with under represented genre vote

I think metal is represented oddly , seems like you like a little power metal and then tried to throw in some obvious choice classic metal bands , and songs that have been in other games like this before to make it more evident that metals not really your thing but that you are trying to get something in there but yeah definantley lacking variety/creativity in the metal departments choices

Then I think indie music and screamo/emo type music are completely or at least nearly absent at a glance

Overall I give it a 3 out of 5 stars

You wanted constructive criticism well there you go

But I think the interesting thing is that the real Rock Band games song lists are never actually any better or worse than this is , so its an acceptable list by realistic standards
  • NegimafanNegimafan Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    You have only 1 song with a female vocalist and it's Fergie. Every main disc has had at least 10.

Have you looked over how many songs have keys and harmonies? How about difficulty? Or in the case of them being present, are they prominent? (RB3 had 61 Key songs)

Have you looked into any foreign music? The last game had at least 3 different-language tracks and several artists popular in Europe.

How about the complete lack of Glam, Indie, New Wave, Dance/Electronic, Nu-Metal, Southern Rock or Country? Nearly every one of those has been known to work with pianos/organs or have reasonably difficult charts.
  • SlyDanteSlyDante Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    Negimafan;4394667 said:
    Have you looked over how many songs have keys and harmonies? How about difficulty? Or in the case of them being present, are they prominent? (RB3 had 61 Key songs)

Have you looked into any foreign music? The last game had at least 3 different-language tracks and several artists popular in Europe.

How about the complete lack of Glam, Indie, New Wave, Dance/Electronic, Nu-Metal, Southern Rock or Country? Nearly every one of those has been known to work with pianos/organs or have reasonably difficult charts.

You know, given that RB3 had - at least in my opinion - the worst main setlist of the three (& those European songs were pretty much completely forgettable), I think it's probably for the best that he put a little distance between it.

I will agree it could use a few dashes more of different genres, though that depends on donkeyman's tastes.
  • ThedonkeymanThedonkeyman Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    SlyDante;4394621 said:
    "Disposable Teens" is already DLC, so you might have to change that. Otherwise, there's a few GH repeats, but overall a pretty good setlist in my opinion!
    Hmm, I'll replace Disposable Teens then - replaced with Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This). The large amount of GH songs isn't so much to do with me copying GH, but more because they seem very good at collecting a load of the songs I like and putting them in a game. It's why I got suckered into buying them all then realising that the gameplay still sucks every time.
    Snitsky;4394625 said:
    I had to go with under represented genre vote

I think metal is represented oddly , seems like you like a little power metal and then tried to throw in some obvious choice classic metal bands , and songs that have been in other games like this before to make it more evident that metals not really your thing but that you are trying to get something in there but yeah definantley lacking variety/creativity in the metal departments choices

Then I think indie music and screamo/emo type music are completely or at least nearly absent at a glance

Overall I give it a 3 out of 5 stars

You wanted constructive criticism well there you go

But I think the interesting thing is that the real Rock Band games song lists are never actually any better or worse than this is , so its an acceptable list by realistic standards

I did want constructive criticism, and this is what I was after. :)

The metal choices... Yes, I predominantly like power metal, but the main reason the other metal songs are obvious is because they're far and away some of the greatest metal songs ever made. Overkill has been one of my favourite songs for a long, long time, and I need to play it in RB! I considered adding more metal I like (some Demon Project, Cynic, Fates Warning), but ultimately remembered that most people seem to hate metal and it wouldn't really encourage people to buy my hypothetical game.

There is a little screamo stuff in there (Funeral For A Friend, Million Dead), but perhaps it is a little under-represented. You can tell my real bias is towards classic rock...
    Negimafan;4394667 said:
    You have only 1 song with a female vocalist and it's Fergie. Every main disc has had at least 10.

There is a reasonable amount of foreign (i.e. from outside North America, UK, Ireland and Australia) music in that list:

Advent Children (Japan)
    Dream Evil (Sweden)
    Edguy (Germany)
    HIM (Finland)
    The Hives (Sweden)
    JerryC (Taiwan)
    Scorpions (Germany)
    Sonata Arctica (Finland)

So I'm not fussed about that. There is a token amount of indie, new wave etc (Noisettes, Keane... maybe others could be acceptable depending on your definition of indie) but I don't listen to any of it or I would have added more to the list.

The lack of female singers is definitely a problem.
    edited May 2011
    Negimafan;4394667 said:

Hmm, overlooked some points in your post... The difficulties are hopefully all accounted for. I know that the lower tiers, especially on guitar, are maybe a little lacking, but ultimately it shouldn't be too bad. Keys... there are quite a few that have them. Not to the same degree as RB3, but I was hoping that since keys were firmly established in that game, there shouldn't need to be such a focus on it in sequels. There are definitely quite a few harmonies there.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    First song ruined it for me. Sonata Arctica made up for it (though why live? I'm just curious.)

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it is very good.
    edited May 2011
    I_Love_You;4394699 said:
    First song ruined it for me. Sonata Arctica made up for it (though why live? I'm just curious.)

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it is very good.

I just really like the live version on For The Sake Of Revenge. Except of course for the singer botching the first line of the song... After that, I'd say it transcends the album version... until of course he botches the last line too. Other than that, flawless.

Need more Sonata Arctica in Rock Band... hopefully the Powers That Be can sort this out.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited May 2011
    Far too much rap (should be 2 at the most), needs more progressive. No new wave and indie rock whatsoever. Your punk and alternative choices are underwhelming. Metal is too much on the heavy metal/power metal side.

Almost pure perfection I think not.
    edited May 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4394710 said:
    Far too much rap (should be 2 at the most), needs more progressive. No new wave and indie rock whatsoever. Your punk and alternative choices are underwhelming. Metal is too much on the heavy metal/power metal side.

Almost pure perfection I think not.

This seems to be a common point of contention. I therefore challenge anyone to educate me on the intricacies of new wave, indie and punk? (also I apologise for the elevated diction contained herein - this is the inevitable consequence of my inebriation. Ta muchly.) I intend to amend my previous post, or alternatively pen a new one, based on the advisement of my peers in this forum. Incidentally, I shall endeavour not to write in such ludicrous wordation (not a word I know, but I like it) upon my no doubt hung-over return. Youtube videos preferable. Much love, peace, et cetera!

Heh, this post amuses me greatly. Apologies for any (the many) typing errors.
    edited May 2011
    If it's not immediately obvious from my previous post, yes, I'm English.
  • thatdrummerguythatdrummerguy Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    It ain't perfection. Not even close.
  • AQuickAliasAQuickAlias Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    In addition to what everyone else has said (all valid points, especially genre over-/under-representation), I find it odd that you would get the two cover songs you listed, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Marilyn Manson (originally Eurythmics) and "Brave New World" by Ghostlines (originally Iron Maiden), the latter especially considering you have "Wrathchild" listed a few lines later.

Still needs some work, but that's not to say I wouldn't buy a significant chunk of this setlist if it were released as DLC. Hint hint, Harmonix.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    Nice Dream Theater choice, the rest is okay I guess...
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Holy dog****! this is great!
    edited May 2011
    AQuickAlias;4395543 said:
    In addition to what everyone else has said (all valid points, especially genre over-/under-representation), I find it odd that you would get the two cover songs you listed, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Marilyn Manson (originally Eurythmics) and "Brave New World" by Ghostlines (originally Iron Maiden), the latter especially considering you have "Wrathchild" listed a few lines later.

Still needs some work, but that's not to say I wouldn't buy a significant chunk of this setlist if it were released as DLC. Hint hint, Harmonix.

There are actually three covers on the list - You Really Got Me is a Kinks cover. Four if you count Canon Rock - it's a cover of Canon In D Major by Johann Pachelbel, but on an electric guitar. Point taken. :)
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited May 2011
    No Indie at all = Fail.

:p
    edited May 2011
    Coldplayer;4396135 said:
    No Indie at all = Fail.

:p

Pfft, nobody likes indi anyway. :P

Also, Noisettes! Indie seems to mean a slightly different thing in the UK, where it also includes Biffy Clyro and arguably Placebo. The people who believe this are wrong, and I tell them so, but still that's three indie tracks!

The only proper indie I've really been exposed to is via Rock Band, and some of it has been alright (the Silversun Pickups songs have been nice, and that One Night Only song is amazing). Might like more if I took the time to listen to it.
  • JohnnyRhythmJohnnyRhythm Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    You should make it 84 and add Come Sail Away by Styx ;) other than that, pretty good setlist

EDIT: Really could use atleast one indie song, something by Mew preferably
    Thedonkeyman;4396145 said:
    Pfft, nobody likes indi anyway. :P
    You didn't just say that
    edited May 2011
    JohnnyRhythm;4396184 said:
    You should make it 84 and add Come Sail Away by Styx ;) other than that, pretty good setlist

EDIT: Really could use atleast one indie song, something by Mew preferably

You didn't just say that

I have asked a friend who is into that kind of thing to enlighten me about this indie stuff. It's a slow process. He's introduced me to Blitzen Trapper who are quite cool, but that's all that's grabbed me so far.

I know, Come Sail Away should be in there. This list may need rewriting at some point.