PS3 Microphone Replacement Options

ScudderScudder Unsigned
edited May 2011 in Rock Band
I have been using 2 microphones - one was from RB1 and the other from the "Naked Brothers" PS2 bundle (which I got on sale for about $15 a year ago for the mic). I think both have been fine in RB3 and RB:Beatles which are the only music games I play anymore.

One of the cords on mine recently became frayed - probably from poor storage after a drunken RB session or possibly my dog deciding it would be fun to chew. In any case, I am looking for the best value on a replacement.

I saw RB ones used at Gamestop for $10 but cannot bring myself to stick my face/mouth that close to something that someone else has used no matter how anyone tries to convince me it is safe and sanitary. Looking online, the current official one (from MadCatz) seems to be $30 which is more than I'd like to pay and also seems to get mixed reviews from users. I believe the ones I've been using were from Logitech and Konami.

I did find that Amazon still has the Naked Bros PS2 bundle for $13 so I will probably opt for that again unless anyone has any other options/suggestions. Anything out there that is as good/better quality than the mics I've been using for $20 or less?

Comments

• c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    If you're looking for cheap and those mics worked for you in the past then they're probably your best bet.

I wouldn't buy a used mic either, dood.

I opted to go a more expensive route with a Shure Beta and USB attachment.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Pretty much all of the stock microphones that come packaged with singing games (i.e. NBB, Glee, High School Musical, Karaoke Revolution, American Idol, etc.) are virtually identical. If you're just looking for that level of basic quality, any of those will do.

Singstar microphones on the PS2/PS3 are also worth mentioning; the audio quality isn't the best (but then again, neither are any of the stock mics I mentioned above), but they're really durable and have a much better heft and feel to them. You also get 2 mics that way.

You're not going to find anything better than these at $20 or under.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Icemage;4395765 said:
    Pretty much all of the stock microphones that come packaged with singing games (i.e. NBB, Glee, High School Musical, Karaoke Revolution, American Idol, etc.) are virtually identical. If you're just looking for that level of basic quality, any of those will do.

Singstar microphones on the PS2/PS3 are also worth mentioning; the audio quality isn't the best (but then again, neither are any of the stock mics I mentioned above), but they're really durable and have a much better heft and feel to them. You also get 2 mics that way.

You're not going to find anything better than these at $20 or under.

Exactly this.

I have troubles with the RB1 stock mic, and since I've bought the singstar ones (wireless in the INTRO bundle) I've found them really comfortable with(as the shaky arrow seems a very far nightmare) and the fact they're wireless makes them perfect for parties.

Got them for 25 €.
  • exup35exup35 Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    i found a beatles rock band game bundled with two singstar mics which work fine, coupled with the original RB mic allows for the RB Beatles and RB3 harmony option (and the other RB games which allow to - I just don't own them)
  • ScudderScudder Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    Interesting. I thought I'd remembered people complaining about the use of Singstar Mics in RB? Do they really improve the "shaky arrow" syndrome? I thought that was just my voice! But seriously, if there is no difference in audio quality / gameplay results with the Singstar mics I would totally get some - especially if they are wireless. I have seen 2 packs for a reasonable price.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Scudder;4395878 said:
    Interesting. I thought I'd remembered people complaining about the use of Singstar Mics in RB? Do they really improve the "shaky arrow" syndrome? I thought that was just my voice! But seriously, if there is no difference in audio quality / gameplay results with the Singstar mics I would totally get some - especially if they are wireless. I have seen 2 packs for a reasonable price.
    Green Day : Rock Band, The Beatles: Rock Band and Rock Band 3 all support SingStar microphones quite well with no issues. Shaky arrow syndrome was a problem in the engine in RB1 and RB2 and had nothing to do with the hardware.

I use SingStar mics with Rock Band 3 and The Beatles: Rock Band at parties quite often and they're great for that. Reliable and sturdy.

Watch out for the wireless ones, though. They have some noticeable input lag (actually, you can say that about all wireless microphones).