Looking to start up a charting group in Australia, but...

MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
edited July 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Is it possible / feasible?

At the moment, Australians can create XNA content, but they can not access it due to some silly illogical laws. Also, the RBN T&C states that members must live in the US. Will HMX ever look into broadening their membership base any time soon?

I live in a fairly musical part of the country (psssst, Silverchair's hometown) and I associate with a few retired rockers who, with a little persuasion, wouldn't mind having their old, classic Aussie songs in a video game.

So, HMX, any word on a possible expansion to include another incredibly musical nation?

I've contacted the XNA team to see what they're up to, I'll post the response if I ever receive it. Hopefully it's not too complex.

Comments

• Coach ZCoach Z Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Maghook;4395841 said:

...silly illogical laws...

...Hopefully it's not too complex.

Once you utter the word "law", "too complex" is virtually certain.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Maghook;4395841 said:
    and I associate with a few retired rockers who, with a little persuasion, wouldn't mind having their old, classic Aussie songs in a video game.

AC/DC, INXS? Yeah, I know, neither are retired.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited May 2011
    We would like to open up RBN access in a wide variety of countries (Australia among them), but there are complicated legalities involved, as you indicated. We don't have any timeline on further expansion at this time.

We don't currently have any plans for extending the program terms for creators.rockband.com to non-US residents.
  • UnknownLefty95UnknownLefty95 Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    Can someone please tell me what is the law is that is restricting RBN in general from reaching our (virtual) shores?
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    TubaDude49;4396152 said:
    AC/DC, INXS? Yeah, I know, neither are retired.
    Nah, nothing too huge, but you would know their songs. Take a look at any general "Great Aussie Songs" or "Best Beer Songs" compilations. They'll be on there. Well, I figure there's no harm in saying it, but the likes of the original Screaming Jets, Ted Mulry Gang, Rabbit (which featured Dave Evans from AC/DC), and their members' side-projects and other contacts they have.

It sucks that there's laws preventing such awesomeness from occurring. Hopefully one day this won't be an issue. I'd love to bring more Aussie talent to Rock Band.

Thanks for clarifying, HMXLachesis! :D
    UnknownLefty95;4396616 said:
    Can someone please tell me what is the law is that is restricting RBN in general from reaching our (virtual) shores?
    No idea, I wish I knew what it was too.
  • TalkieToasterTalkieToaster Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    I think I'm the official answerer of that question ;)

Basically, it's because it's illegal to sell unrated media, that is media that hasn't been submitted to the OFLC (ratings board) for classification. It wouldn't be worth submitting every indy game that goes up on XNA, so we don't have access. That's why we can create, but not purchase.

Back to the initial topic though, I seem to remember early on something about the possiblilty of doing all the work outside the US, but then sending it to a US based authoring group for submission.

If that idea got shot down, you could always just act as a middleman between the bands and an American authoring group. No matter how much I'd love more Aussie music, you have to wonder though if it'd be worth it though for everyone involved, since the bands' biggest market would have to jump through hoops to actually purchase the songs...

That being said, if Rabbit made it into Rock Band, I'm pretty sure I would start having problems with my mum constantly wanting to play. :D
    edited May 2011
    Since MMO games can't be rated, how is it any different to downloadable content? Especially since the content is going by the original game's guidelines? That is, Rock Band is rated PG or M, therefore the content created for it must stick to being what is considered PG / M rated.

Silly Australian laws. Making no sense and such. We are such a backwards country.

I'd prefer to do the authoring myself, with other Aussies. No disrespect to authoring groups in the US, but I feel they would not appreciate Aussie music as much as we do.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2011
    UnknownLefty95;4396616 said:

Probably international business laws. That and the potential tax situation.
    edited May 2011
    Maghook;4396639 said:
    I'd prefer to do the authoring myself, with other Aussies. No disrespect to authoring groups in the US, but I feel they would not appreciate Aussie music as much as we do.

There is a group that will submit for you and pay you everything you would have got, but I can't remember if it's Fairwood or TAG
    edited May 2011
    Maghook;4396639 said:
    Since MMO games can't be rated, how is it any different to downloadable content? Especially since the content is going by the original game's guidelines? That is, Rock Band is rated PG or M, therefore the content created for it must stick to being what is considered PG / M rated.
    Sorry, probably should have been clearer, it has nothing whatsoever to do with DLC. XNA is designed for standalone games, which have to be rated. It's just an unfortunate side effect of Harmonix using XNA as its framework that we can't access RBN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Aussie PS3 users can get the RBN tracks that are put on their store, because they're just treated as normal DLC.

And for the record, MMOs do have to be rated now. The reason they weren't until a couple of years ago was that no one noticed until then. ;)
    edited May 2011
    Baaahhhhh! It's nice to know that typical Australian laziness and incompetence also applies to corporations and legal systems governing this stuff.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    TubaDude49;4396644 said:
    There is a group that will submit for you and pay you everything you would have got, but I can't remember if it's Fairwood or TAG
    I believe it's Fairwood. Maghook, this is definitely an option if you just want to author their music and get it in the game. You can do all the authoring yourself as long as you submit it through a US company.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Quazifuji;4396728 said:
    I believe it's Fairwood. Maghook, this is definitely an option if you just want to author their music and get it in the game. You can do all the authoring yourself as long as you submit it through a US company.

Yea, it's certainly a possibility. We'd have to discuss the legal specifics, our proxy program is phrased to assume the band did the authoring so that would need adjusting. But like any good law there's a way around it. :)
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited May 2011
    TalkieToaster;4396649 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Aussie PS3 users can get the RBN tracks that are put on their store, because they're just treated as normal DLC.
    You're not wrong. Once an RBN song is ported over to PS3, it's treated like regular DLC by Sony.
    edited May 2011
    Bah, that's silly! xD

Maybe I will look into having it submitted by Fairwood. I dunno. Guess I may as well wait a bit longer and see if I luck out. seems like there's no point if the store doesn't open up to us Aussies... :(
    edited May 2011
    I was thinking, I wonder if it'd be worthwhile lobbying Microsoft to open up RBN to us. I mean, we can submit to XNA, so a least some of the framework is there. I really don't know how it all works, but you'd would think it'd be possible for them to allow RBN through, while still blocking access to the indy games, and thier evil unratedness. Just maybe not worth the hours if would take for someone to set it up. If they thought they could make enough money off us from it, they could probably figure something out.

Because I really can't see if happening any other way. If we're really lucky, we might get an R rating in the next year. Then everyone will be like "We gave you that! Stop complaining! Go play Mortal Kombat!". And we'll still be sad.
    edited May 2011
    Maybe. I'll try to get in touch with someone from Microsoft. I have not received a reply from the XNA team. I don't see how RBN can be blocked if it requires the physical Rock Band disc, which has already been rated, in order to play the content. It's entirely different from an "Indie Game"...
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2011
    Maghook;4397894 said:
    Maybe. I'll try to get in touch with someone from Microsoft. I have not received a reply from the XNA team. I don't see how RBN can be blocked if it requires the physical Rock Band disc, which has already been rated, in order to play the content. It's entirely different from an "Indie Game"...
    It's probably an all or nothing thing though. But good luck.
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I was told by MS the same thing, that Australian laws prevent anything cool from happening. I will contact Fairwood Studios through their website, but I will leave a couple questions here that I'm wondering about...

When I go to create an XNA profile, I need to submit a name and a website... I'm assuming the name will the the publishing name, such as "Fairwood Studios", but what about the website address? Can I just create a YouTube account, or WordPress blog and use that?

Also, if I partner with Fairwood Studios, will the songs be published under my authoring group's name, or Fairwood Studios' name?

I just need to think up a decent name now... any suggestions?
  • handsprimehandsprime Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    I don't think we are anywhere close to the "Australia can now accept all games" because after Mortal Kombat was made illegal in australia (That's right, it's illegal to own Mortal Kombat in Australia), we might not have the XNA untill the Lib's own Australia
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    Maghook;4401117 said:

Also, if I partner with Fairwood Studios, will the songs be published under my authoring group's name, or Fairwood Studios' name?
    There's a field in Magma for Author, which is unrelated to which account uploads the track. This is often used when a label uploads songs under its own account rather than an authoring group's account, and would also apply in this case (other proxy releases through Fairwood list the actual author in that field). This means that it would be uploaded by Fairwood account but you would be credited as the author, and it would appear under your author name if people browse the RBN store by author.
    edited May 2011
    Awesome, thanks a lot! Maybe I shall pursue the proxy submission method then. If so, I hope you guys check out any Aussie bands you've likely never heard of! xD

I plan to start small and then work my way up to the big leagues... well, big in an Australian context. Which is still quite small. Haha. I'm just trying to familiarise myself with Reaper. I usually use Ableton but it doesn't seem much different.

Still have no idea what to call the authoring group... hmmm.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Ausie Melbourne Studios? (you know, sounds kinda like Ozzy Osbourne)
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, I'm not sure whether to be blatantly Australian, mate! With something cheesy like "Down Under Studios" or maybe go the subtle and witty route with something like "Algorhythm Productions".

I'll have to think long and hard about this!

Also, I live in Newcastle, so that would make no sense, but I like it. :D

Perhaps I should just call it "Team Novocastrian".
    edited May 2011
    Maghook;4401190 said:
    Hmm, I'm not sure whether to be blatantly Australian, mate! With something cheesy like "Down Under Studios" or maybe go the subtle and witty route with something like "Algorhythm Productions".

I'll have to think long and hard about this!

Also, I live in Newcastle, so that would make no sense, but I like it. :D

Perhaps I should just call it "Team Novocastrian".

"Bruce"
  • khevenkheven Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Maghook...if you're serious about this, that's awesome because i'd love to see more Australian music in Rock Band. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.
    edited May 2011
    kheven;4401536 said:
    Maghook...if you're serious about this, that's awesome because i'd love to see more Australian music in Rock Band. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Same here. If you ever need anything, PM TriumphantBass on the creators site
  • edited May 2011
    Purhaps you could get my favorite Australian band.
    Cat Empire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFxo4mpiKg
    edited May 2011
    handsprime;4401122 said:
    I don't think we are anywhere close to the "Australia can now accept all games" because after Mortal Kombat was made illegal in australia (That's right, it's illegal to own Mortal Kombat in Australia), we might not have the XNA untill the Lib's own Australia
    Um, games are going to be made illegal until they're not. We could be one day away from an R rating, and if a game qualifies for it, it'll still be banned until the amendment passes. Also, this probably isn't even relevant to XNA, because there's still a difference between R rated and unrated.

Anyway, good luck with the charting group. I'd offer to help too, but I'm going overseas in a month. Maybe when I get back.
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the support, guys! Still working on the details, and I will most likely be authoring small, independent artists at first, but once I work on skills and reputation... hopefully we'll see some big Australian names gracing the RBN.
    MagicMurderBag7;4401684 said:
    Purhaps you could get my favorite Australian band.
    Cat Empire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFxo4mpiKg
    Ironic how they're an Australian band and that video is not available to be viewed in Australia...