phrases that you hate

exploderexploder Road Warrior
edited June 2011 in Less Rokk More Talk
here we go:

"I'm in way over my head" - WHAT THE **** IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? what,is their a movie called "way over my head",or something? this phrase just sounds stupid.no matter what. why can't you just say "I'm way over my head"

"Swag" - next time someone says that I will knock them the **** out. most rap these days is crappy soulja boy ringtone Rap with repeated song titles for lyrics,autotoned vocals,and computerized beats instead of samples....oh,and half of the lyrics consist of "swaggy swag swag swaggity swag swag swag". but anyway I hate that phrase

Comments

• DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited June 2011
    I hate any phrase that includes "Epic"

And "party like a rock star"

And "that's what she said"
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    i hate when people pretend all hip hop is bad,because they can't find the good stuff. Its there,i assure you.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    exploder;4411690 said:
    "I'm in way over my head" - WHAT THE **** IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? what,is their a movie called "way over my head",or something? this phrase just sounds stupid.no matter what. why can't you just say "I'm way over my head"
    Way over my head = you missed something, like a joke, because you were unable to comprehend it.

In way over my head = you're metaphorically drowning in the sheer amount of things around you.

That's why you don't just say 'I'm way over my head'. Because it means something entirely different. I don't say I ride a bike to work when I actually take a car.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    on topic,the term "less is more" has always annoyed me.
    edited June 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4411706 said:
    Way over my head = you missed something, like a joke, because you were unable to comprehend it.

In way over my head = you're metaphorically drowning in the sheer amount of things around you.

That's why you don't just say 'I'm way over my head'. Because it means something entirely different. I don't say I ride a bike to work when I actually take a car.

When I read the OP, I thought to myself "he kinda missed it there, but I'm sure GNF will come along and enlighten him"

Thanks for not disappointing me buddy!
    edited June 2011
    DrowGamer77;4411726 said:
    When I read the OP, I thought to myself "he kinda missed it there, but I'm sure GNF will come along and enlighten him"

Thanks for not disappointing me buddy!
    I aim to please!
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Cubecubed;4411705 said:
    i hate when people pretend all hip hop is bad,because they can't find the good stuff. Its there,i assure you.

.....I said most Hip Hop these days,not all Hip Hop
    plus,I hate the phrase "Supper",it's dinner,dang it!
    edited June 2011
    You realize that one word does not constitute a phrase, right?
  • DackAttacDackAttac Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    "I could care less." - It's one thing when people bastardize a idiom here or there, but people say this one when they mean the complete opposite. Drives me nuts.
    DrowGamer77;4411699 said:

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/thatswhatshesaid2.png
    edited June 2011
    exploder;4411736 said:
    plus,I hate the phrase "Supper",it's dinner,dang it!
    Supper means 'large meal'. My friend's family uses it to refer to their noon meal, usually.

Again, you've run into that pesky problem of what people use and what you think it should be being two completely different things.
    edited June 2011
    oh,that's why! thanks for the help!
    well,now I hate the misuse of Supper,'cause people use it when it's just a normal dinner,nothing special,with a small amount of food
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2011
    And this is in "History of Rock" because... ?
    edited June 2011
    FujiSkunk;4411807 said:
    And this is in "History of Rock" because... ?

sorry,that was a mistake
    edited June 2011
    exploder;4411803 said:
    well,now I hate the misuse of Supper,'cause people use it when it's just a normal dinner,nothing special,with a small amount of food
    Good lord...

Supper can refer to the last meal of the day. Hell, took a quick visit to Wikipedia, and
    supper [can be] used to describe a less formal, simpler family meal
    and
    In...most parts of The United States and Canada, "supper" and "dinner" are considered synonyms
    which is EXACTLY what you're trying to say you 'hate' now(which is hilarious since you were the exact same way ten seconds before typing that).
    edited June 2011
    Wow,I just got told,AGAIN.
    well,knowing is half the battle,so thanks GNF!
  • Cubefreak53Cubefreak53 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    DrowGamer77;4411699 said:
    Anyone who uses that phrase should be publicly executed.
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    "Touch base." If people weren't so damn busy "touching base" all the time, they might get a lot more done.

Also anything about "creative juices." If you've got something to show me, then show me already. I don't care about your juices or whatever you plan to do to get them flowing or whatever.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited June 2011
    No one has said it, so I have to...

I hate the term "Winning"
  • edited June 2011
    I HATE the phrase "I am dissapoint" like most things on the internet it got really old really fast and hasn't been funny since about 5 minutes after it was started.

also (although they are words and not phrases) I HATE the words "noob" and "pown" and any use of "leet speak". Or is it "1337 5p34k"?
  • Cubefreak53Cubefreak53 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    DerLindwurm;4413290 said:
    "Touch base." If people weren't so damn busy "touching base" all the time, they might get a lot more done.

Also anything about "creative juices." If you've got something to show me, then show me already. I don't care about your juices or whatever you plan to do to get them flowing or whatever.

I lol'd
    edited June 2011
    DerLindwurm;4413290 said:

My creative juices only get flowing if I've been touching base too much.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited June 2011
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4413342 said:
    I HATE the phrase "I am dissapoint" like most things on the internet it got really old really fast and hasn't been funny since about 5 minutes after it was started.

u mad?
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    I am apologize for all the times I've said "I am disappoint."
  • LampyLampLamp12LampyLampLamp12 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    "Figures, it's always in the last place you look."

No, actually, I found it and kept looking, just to be safe...
    edited June 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4413342 said:
    also (although they are words and not phrases) I HATE the words "noob" and "pown" and any use of "leet speak". Or is it "1337 5p34k"?
    Pretty sure pwn was added to the dictionary a few years back. Same with omg and lol.
    edited June 2011
    "That's how I roll" is now past it's expiration date.

When I hear somebody use it, I have the urge to push them really hard so that they fall down and roll around on the floor while I shout "No, that's how you roll!"
    edited June 2011
    DrowGamer77;4414219 said:
    "That's how I roll" is now past it's expiration date.

I think that one's so long since dead that it's OK to use if attempting tongue-in-cheek kitschiness.
  • exup35exup35 Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    using the word "well" instead of "really" or "very"
    As in
    "That's well good" or
    "That's well difficult"

people who accomplish something, even something thats pretty simple like putting a kettle on for a hot drink and then say
    "Jobs a good 'un" (jobs a good one) << that really naffs me off.

And not so much the phrase - but when somebody's voice goes up at the end of a statement, and makes them sound like they are always asking questions. Like one of my bike pupils
    "What make of bike have you got?"
    "It's, like, a Honda (?)" ("like" gets on my **** too)
    "Are you asking me, or telling me?"
  • RuseBalaxinRuseBalaxin Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    As a poet and writer I heartily dislike the slang used in this particular
    generation to the point where I had to purchase a recreational punching bag
    to pummel whenever someone uttered the following in my presence:

"Epic Fail," "Pwned," "Noob," "Whatever," "Whambulance,"
    and "Go Die In a Fire."

I also believe that "L33t" or Leet vocabulary is the most fundamentally
    backwards form of communication on the planet and that contrary
    to what some people might think, sending text messages using vague
    letters and numbers DOES NOT increase one's memory or intelligence,
    which is the argument a friend of mine insinuated.