Deep cuts that should've been singles/deep cuts discussion thread

exploderexploder Road Warrior
edited July 2011 in History of Rock
songs that are buried on albums,without videos and/or aren't singles

Korn - Follow The Leader was a great album with some great singles,but I think "Dead Bodies Everywhere" would've been a great single with a great video.Plus "BBK","All In The Family", and "Children Of The Korn" were singles but they didn't have videos.they should have. also "One More Time" from Untouachables is a very underrated and underplayed,but great song that would've been a hit if it was a single with a music video.

Eminem - "Marshall Mathers","I'm Back", and "Amityville" from the Marshall Mathers LP would've been great singles with funny videos,probably.

Comments

• killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    I still insist that "Blue Dress" was the best song off of Depeche Mode's Violator...
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    Pretty much everything Sevendust has done.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    Well as far as my favorite band goes, i feel like they could have released "Three Evils(Embodied in Love and Shadow","Cuts Marked in the March of men",or "The Camper Velourium I:Faint of Hearts" off of their second album, and they would have hit just as hard as " A Favor House Atlantic" did. Plus I think all of them are better songs. C'mon,one of them even has Koo-koo-ka-choos in it!
    edited June 2011
    Cubecubed;4415624 said:
    Well as far as my favorite band goes, i feel like they could have released "Three Evils(Embodied in Love and Shadow","Cuts Marked in the March of men",or "The Camper Velourium I:Faint of Hearts" off of their second album, and they would have hit just as hard as " A Favor House Atlantic" did. Plus I think all of them are better songs. C'mon,one of them even has Koo-koo-ka-choos in it!

Off of that album... ahem, the title track? Possibly the best song Coheed's ever recorded.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2011
    For most bands I like, even my cherished favorites, I tend to agree that their biggest hits were the songs most deserving of wide attention, while the deeper cuts are best left to the fans looking for the gems that don't immediately scream "play me! play me!" However, I can think of a few...

Styx - "Boat on the River" - Actually this was a single, and did get a video, and ended up being Styx's most popular tune... in just about every country but the United States. Where the band calls home, this song has been criminally overlooked.

Santana - "The Calling" - Released on Supernatural, the same album that begot "Smooth," this song paired two guitar legends in a single performance, Santana and Eric Clapton. The song's length and sparse lyrics were probably responsible for keeping this one off the airwaves, and that's just a darn shame.

Boston - "Walk On" - Tom Scholz's ultra-clean production was passe by the time he finished the band's fourth album, and the lack of Brad Delp's vocals didn't help matters any. That's too bad, because this 12-minute epic is some of the best guitar work he has ever committed to disc. Yes, even as good as "More than a Feeling" and "Foreplay." The awesomeness demanded enough attention that an edit eeked out some airplay, but really the entire thing has to be heard for proper respect to be given.

Aerosmith - "Hangman Jury" - After comeback album Permanent Vacation spawned the massive hits of "Dude (Looks like a Lady)," "Rag Doll" and "Angel," there wasn't much room left for another hit single. "Hangman Jury" did see some attention from radio and earned a respectable place on the Mainstream Rock chart, but I've always thought this one was just as good as the other three.

Dire Straits - "Ride across the River" - All of Brothers in Arms is great in my opinion, but after "Walk of Life" and "Money for Nothing" burst into the stratosphere, there wasn't much chance for the rest of the album to earn attention. Actually, take away those two songs and the album's modest third hit, "So Far Away," and you are left with a collection of moody, reflective tunes, the kind that don't normally grab program directors' attention. That doesn't make them any less worthy, however. "Ride across the River" originally opened the vinyl album's second side, which turned out to be a mini-concept album about war and its effect on its participants and observers. It's good shtuff.

America - "Ports of Call" - While maybe not as excellent as "Horse with No Name" or "Lonely People," this song still deserves to be listend among America's best tunes. But, it came out in the '90s, when '70s soft rock bands had been all but forgotten.

Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven" - Okay, you can't really call this a deep cut, but guess what? The most famous song in the band's catalog was never officially released as a single.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    killer_roach;4415673 said:
    Off of that album... ahem, the title track? Possibly the best song Coheed's ever recorded.

I agree,but how often do 7 or 8 minute songs get played on the radio?
    edited June 2011
    Cubecubed;4415724 said:
    I agree,but how often do 7 or 8 minute songs get played on the radio?

Depends on the station and the format - I've heard some modern rock stations (especially up north) play "Lateralus" by Tool in its entirety... and that's nine and a half minutes. (And I'll avoid mentioning the classic rock station here playing parts I-V of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd.)

To add another one...

While not a singles-oriented band at all (they never released one), Magma's "Liri
  • DackAttacDackAttac Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    I have some self-explanatory ones...

Tom Petty - Restless
    Billy Joel - Close to the Borderline

But then there's this one that drives me nuts: Ben Folds - Hiro's Song. This is the song that I've apparently listened to most since I installed iTunes. Killer hook, great song - not only is it not a single but it remains commercially unavailable in the US. It only showed up as a bonus track in Japan. Would have no idea it existed if not for a local indie alt station.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2011
    The Killers - "Joy Ride"

I really thought this was the best song The Killers have ever done and it's not even a single.
    edited June 2011
    Wasn't it? I swear like I saw it at one point on Wikipedia with a source. The Day & Age single releases got a little messy at the end of it, what with them releasing different songs based on the country.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2011
    DackAttac;4415930 said:
    Wasn't it? I swear like I saw it at one point on Wikipedia with a source. The Day & Age single releases got a little messy at the end of it, what with them releasing different songs based on the country.

It kinda did seem like it would pass off as one. Regardless, I didn't see individual treatment for "Joy Ride" on Wikipedia or RateYourMusic.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited June 2011
    The Mountain Goats - "Lovecraft in Brooklyn": Highly accessible, uptempo rocker from the MGs.

The Cure - "The Perfect Girl": Perfect pop song.

New Order - "ICB": Another perfect pop song.

Bauhaus - "In Fear of Fear": That bassline...

Love & Rockets - "The Dog End of a Day Gone By": It would've been a nice pairing with "So Alive".

Blondie - "Die Young Stay Pretty", "Detroit 442", "Eat to the Beat": Considering the era these songs were released in, all three of them could've been enormous pop hits on the top 40, ESPECIALLY "Die Young Stay Pretty". It's stylistically similar to "Tide is High", really.

Electric Light Orchestra - "Tightrope": Everything on A New World Record should've been a hit. Everything.

Cold Cave - "Youth and Lust": Could've been enormous on the dance charts. Best song they've done, in my opinion.

The Smiths - "Unloveable": Accessible and tongue-in-cheek. Really overlooked Smiths song.

Black Sabbath - "Supernaut": This should be a classic rock staple alongside everything on Paranoid.

The Cars - "Got A Lot On My Head": Uptempo, catchy, hooky tune from Candy-O.

Aerosmith - "Big Ten Inch Record": Hehe.

There are more I can think of, but a lot of them are from industrial, post-punk, punk, or goth bands have little to no chance of placing on the charts, anyway.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Runesmith;4416544 said:
    Aerosmith - "Big Ten Inch Record": Hehe.
    I thought about listing this one, but figured it was too well known to be considered a deep cut. I guess unlike "Hangman Jury," "Big Ten Inch Record" didn't see any chart action, but it was still a popular radio staple on the stations I used to listen to.
  • Killik_13Killik_13 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Disputable whether they're true 'deep cuts', but definitely should have been singles.

"The Becoming" and "Last" by Nine Inch Nails
    "Garden of Eden" by Guns N' Roses (Got a video, but never a single)
    "Romeo Delight" and "Ice Cream Man" by Van Halen
    "Bad Boy Boogie" by Motley Crue
    "Night" by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
  • RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Although the album is still pretty recent, "I Should Have Known" from Foo Fighters's Wasting Light is fantastic, although possibly too slow for most of it for radio. "Arlandria" and "Bridge Burning" I can see getting radio play, though. I've always thought that RHCP should have put out "So Much I" and/or "Storm in a Teacup" from Stadium Arcadium, "Throw Away Your Television" from By the Way, "The Power of Equality" from Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and "This Velvet Glove" from Californication. Anyone agree?
    edited July 2011
    RHCPfan96;4439362 said:
    Although the album is still pretty recent, "I Should Have Known" from Foo Fighters's Wasting Light is fantastic, although possibly too slow for most of it for radio. "Arlandria" and "Bridge Burning" I can see getting radio play, though. [...] "Throw Away Your Television" from By the Way

I didn't think I Should Have Known was anything special, aside from being a very strong album track on a very strong album, but I wouldn't promote it above "album track". I think those are pretty accurate predictions for their next singles, though. Wouldn't mind seeing Dear Rosemary get some airplay, either—it's on songs like that where you can hear Grohl attempting to implement some pop songwriting techniques to great results—These Days also strikes me as a radio shoe-in.

Also, like half of By the Way probably could have done well on the radio. Throw Away Your Television, Cabr
  • Killik_13Killik_13 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    "These Days" and "Back and Forth" seem like obvious choices for singles, very catchy and well written. Although I love "Walk" I don't think it should have been a single.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    "On Fire" and "Cold Wind Blows" from Eminem's new CD. they're way better than the poppy singles that many people judge the album for. Plus,Cold Wind Blows would've probably had a funny video.
  • RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    DackAttac;4439369 said:
    Wouldn't mind seeing Dear Rosemary get some airplay, either—it's on songs like that where you can hear Grohl attempting to implement some pop songwriting techniques to great results—These Days also strikes me as a radio shoe-in.
    Those were my next two choices.

I'd also like to add to my list:

Muse's "The Small Print" from Absolution

Paramore's "Born For This" and "Let the Flames Begin" from Riot!

"The Fantasy" and "Savior" by 30 Seconds to Mars from their 2005 album A Beautiful Lie

From The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, "Empty Room" and, most importantly, "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"