Could DLC be cross compatible?

SYKOgirl85SYKOgirl85 Unsigned
edited June 2011 in The Rock Band Network
This may be a noob question, but if guitar hero and rock band were to join forces could exsisting dlc for both games be cross compatible in their love child game?

I'm not a creator yet, but dabbling in the idea. Again sorry if this is a ridiculous question, that's why I'm asking you experts.

Comments

• TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    SYKOgirl85;4417052 said:
    This may be a noob question, but if guitar hero and rock band were to join forces could exsisting dlc for both games be cross compatible in their love child game?

I'm not a creator yet, but dabbling in the idea. Again sorry if this is a ridiculous question, that's why I'm asking you experts.
    No, that would require all-new licenses and would cost more time/money then it's worth.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    1. Probably not. Reason: money.

2. Wrong forum. This subforum is for RBN songs, i.e. third-party downloadable content.

3. Boobies!!!
  • SYKOgirl85SYKOgirl85 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    My apologies. I figured rock band network song creators would actually monitor more closely than harmonix employees. Thanks for your responses.
  • edited June 2011
    The charts themselves also will not be compatable I think, Rock Band and Guitar Hero will use different file types (the songs themselves, charts and animations) I assume, so it will require every song to be "remastered" for Rock Band or Guitar Hero
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Definitely not: reason, licensing.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited June 2011
    It's also not really worth it due to the fact Guitar Hero used lower quality audio mixes.
  • SYKOgirl85SYKOgirl85 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    UnbreakMeUnchainMe;4417106 said:
    The charts themselves also will not be compatable I think, Rock Band and Guitar Hero will use different file types (the songs themselves, charts and animations) I assume, so it will require every song to be "remastered" for Rock Band or Guitar Hero

Now this is more along the lines of why not I was looking for. I understand licenses wouldn't allow. Activision COULD easily afford it if they wanted. I just wondered if they were done with the same kind of program with just the different game graphics and elements thrown in there after the track creation; thus, leaving programers the option to create the compatibility software. I'm not worried about licensing or monetary drawbacks, I simply wanted to know if a program was possible bc it would be f'in sweet if it was lol.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2011
    If they were going to build a new game together, they could easily program the game to read both file types (I'm pretty sure that, at the core, both are using midi for their charts). But there's no way they could just flip a switch and have them work in existing games, probably not even with a patch.
  • JupiahJupiah Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    Also, even ignoring licenses and the impossibility of such a team-up every occuring, Rock Band and Guitar Hero have very different philosophies for how their songs are charted and mixed, so the different tracks from each series would stand out from each other very noticeably.

There would also be an awful lot duplicate songs with very different tracks for them.
  • zemanator1zemanator1 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    ignoring all the previously mentioned issues:

if this were to happen, the core rock band fans would gain a grand total of... what, 300-400 songs? while the core guitar hero fans would gain somewhere close to or above 2000 songs? who would win that deal... I can't see HMX ever going for it,

although i own over 1000 DLC, guitar hero has 10-15 songs available that i want more then about 900 of the songs i have... but that doesn't bother me, since in total i'd only have bought MAYBE 40 songs activision has released as DLC.

the merge idea just wouldn't work
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2011
    SYKOgirl85;4417097 said:
    My apologies. I figured rock band network song creators would actually monitor more closely than harmonix employees. Thanks for your responses.
    It's enough of a stretch that Harmonix and Activision could reach an agreement to allow songs with different charting philosophies and hundreds of duplicates, but what could RBN authors possibly do about it?