Grr! Not happy!

KonadorKonador Rising Star
edited June 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I just bought Epic Symphony Part 3 Blah Blah but the whole song title didn't at any point fit on the RB3 Store interface. It ended up being the 2x Bass Pedal version! I didn't want that version! But there's no way of telling the difference in the store as far as I can see!

Comments

• PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Yup, you couldn't see what version you were buying because title was too long haha.
    But general rule is that regular version comes first and then 2xbass pedal (located higher on the list in store so follow that simple rule and you should be in the clear next time ^^).
  • J-Roc-DrumzJ-Roc-Drumz Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    Yea I almost did that too. What saved me was when the demo finished downloading, it showed the x2 part.

I was kind of confused when I saw/previewed the other one before the demo downloaded. I remember on some songs it had the x2 thing on the album cover. I thought that was pretty cool. Easy to see. But I could understand if folks didn't want to cover up some of the album art for that to be there.

Luckily, if you have a demo of x song, and you hit the yellow button, it shows the whole title with the x2 thing and all that. Was the only way (besides hooking up drums) for me to see which version to delete and buy since I had both demos of that song.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    So the title was too long... ouch. Hopefully there's a better way to avoid that in the future. That's awful.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2011
    Doesn't the title repeat in the item description?
  • KonadorKonador Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    Bront20;4418171 said:
    Doesn't the title repeat in the item description?

It doesn't fit in that either!
  • RockGamerRockGamer Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    I do agree that this is indeed an issue; however, there is still a way to tell which version in the store. If you select the song title, then select purchase, it will bring up the Xbox info box. If you select the second option, it will show the full description for the item, where you can then scroll down to see the song's full title. This obviously doesn't help you at the current moment, but it can be something to keep in mind in the future when a song's title extends past the rightmost bar.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    I bought the wrong version as well! Why is the 2x pedal version not devil signs on drums? That could have differentiated it.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    NoThru22;4418241 said:
    I bought the wrong version as well! Why is the 2x pedal version not devil signs on drums? That could have differentiated it.

It would differentiate them, but it wouldn't help people who didn't even realize there were two versions in the store (which I assume happened with the mistakes, since if you noticed there were two versions you'd presumably investigate before purchasing).

This almost happened to me too, but luckily I decided to download the demo first even though I was almost sure I'd end up buying it, and then noticed the second version before buying it.
  • zemanator1zemanator1 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    NoThru22;4418241 said:

it's a rule that the double bass is rated the same as the regular version

also, if you scroll down to item overview, or whatever, and read the whole discription, it says

***DISCLAIMER*** this song requires a double bass setup to play this song.

right after it lists the title to the song, in its entirity, in the overview description

i read both descriptions so i made sure i got the x2bass version
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    zemanator1;4419192 said:
    it's a rule that the double bass is rated the same as the regular version
    Actually, it's not. I know of at least three songs (City of Corruption, Flag in the Ground and November) that have a higher rating for the 2x Bass Pedal version than the standard.

I can only speak for November, as it came from our studio, but the reasoning for that is that November's 2x Bass Pedal version came out significantly harder than the reduced one, and we felt that it deserved one more dot. Reviewers apparently agreed.

As for the disclaimer, that disclaimer can only be seen on the song page at creators.rockband.com. The descriptions there don't carry over to the store unfortunately. All the item overview does to help is say the full name of the song, which reveals if it is 2x Bass Pedal or not.

That said, it is still possible to figure out which song is which. RockGamer's method is spot on; I just went to the store to try it and I know which is the 2x and which one isn't. (Note: For this song, the June 9 release is the 2x Bass Pedal version.) So the song title can be seen in full, it just requires a tiny bit of digging.

This worries me a tad because we have Heavy Weather coming out soon with a 2x Bass Pedal version, and its full title is kind of long. Most people won't think to check the marketplace description and may get confused. I'll post in CTA's thread which song is which once they're live, but I agree that a better solution may be feasible.
  • JupiahJupiah Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    I spent a good five minutes puzzling over the two seemingly identical songs before it occurred to me to select the purchase option and then look at the item description before confirming my purchase.

It drove me nuts, Harmonix really should patch the music store to be able to display longer names. Or shrink the text on long song titles til it fits, or something.
    edited June 2011
    Jupiah;4421859 said:
    I spent a good five minutes puzzling over the two seemingly identical songs before it occurred to me to select the purchase option and then look at the item description before confirming my purchase.

It drove me nuts, Harmonix really should patch the music store to be able to display longer names. Or shrink the text on long song titles til it fits, or something.
    The most common solution is scrolling when you have the song selected. That would work too.
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    Bront20;4421874 said:
    The most common solution is scrolling when you have the song selected. That would work too.

Um, if the term "common solution" had any meaning maybe I'd get mad at your quote. But since you have a PS3 maybe you just don't understand the problem.

But this was an issue...I don't know how anyone saw the full title because I spent five minutes looking at both and couldn't figure out any way to do so without buying it. My solution was to download the top demo...and xbox only showed the full title after it downloaded, then I bought the second version.

A self-enforced RBN limit to characters for titles seem like the best solution, since regular Harmonix releases won't have this issue, and there's no need to spend extra money or time to fix the problem...and it's a minor annoyance if it only happens with one song, no reason to pull it.
    edited June 2011
    Arcanon;4419201 said:

As for the disclaimer, that disclaimer can only be seen on the song page at creators.rockband.com. The descriptions there don't carry over to the store unfortunately. All the item overview does to help is say the full name of the song, which reveals if it is 2x Bass Pedal or not.

coulda sworn the disclaimer was in the item description on xbl as well...

either way, it does differentiate the two in the song description, although overall most people won't check that for whatever reason. easiest solution would be, as bront suggested, when you're selecting the song from the menu, if it's title exceeds the allotted space, it should scroll horizontally.

or, the long way, and download the demo
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    I made the same mistake and felt stupid enough that I didn't think to download a demo or even think about the fact that there were two different versions, but now I feel worse knowing that the description differentiated it...
    edited June 2011
    rab39;4421909 said:
    Um, if the term "common solution" had any meaning maybe I'd get mad at your quote. But since you have a PS3 maybe you just don't understand the problem.
    Common solution = Fix on the programmers end. Not trying to slight you 360 folks. You can't write RB3 code.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    rab39;4421909 said:
    A self-enforced RBN limit to characters for titles seem like the best solution,
    Why? So a majority of the allocated characters can be (2x Bass Pedal Version)? Yeah, I'd love choosing between double bass charts and the full song title.

Learn to try before you buy. Hit the demo button. It downloads the whole thing, so the payment after you play the bit(and see the full title) is a quick unlock.
  • uprkdarkwolfuprkdarkwolf Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    Guess I won't be touching any RBN songs now til this issue is resolved (something about the double-bass demanding folks should have just left well enough alone comes to mind.)
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    uprkdarkwolf;4422679 said:
    Guess I won't be touching any RBN songs now til this issue is resolved (something about the double-bass demanding folks should have just left well enough alone comes to mind.)
    There's no issue. Either download the demo first, or hit More Info before Confirm Purchase.
    edited June 2011
    uprkdarkwolf;4422679 said:

Seriously?? If you had read even the first 5-10 replies to this thread, you would know that there are two easy solutions:
    - Checking the "more info"
    - Downloading the demo
  • JupiahJupiah Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    It also affects a grand total of 2 songs. Seriously man, get a friggin' grip.
    edited June 2011
    atalkingfish;4423146 said:
    Seriously?? If you had read even the first 5-10 replies to this thread, you would know that there are two easy solutions:
    - Checking the "more info"
    - Downloading the demo

Yeah, I did read the entire thread; and yeah, if it hadn't been for the MUSE fan-like whining over double-bass pedal not being charted, this would have been a NON-issue. And can the PS3 folks even download demos?
    Jupiah;4423513 said:
    It also affects a grand total of 2 songs. Seriously man, get a friggin' grip.

Right now, it's a grand total of two. We all know how once that snowball starts rolling downhill, you know the rest. Get a clue.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    uprkdarkwolf;4423517 said:
    Right now, it's a grand total of two. We all know how once that snowball starts rolling downhill, you know the rest. Get a clue.

Obvious troll is obvious.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2011
    I don't know if PS3 will ever get any 2x Bass versions, given the weekly limits. And even if they don't have demos, I would think that they must have their own version of the "more info" screen where they can view a PS3 store description that includes the full title. I don't know how the PS3 store works so maybe they don't.

But really this seems like you're just looking for something to be angry about. You thought the 2xBass versions were stupid to begin with, and now you've found an excuse to pretend that it might affect you in some way, so it can validate your complaining. I apologize if I'm misreading the situation but that's how you're coming across.

This issue only affects two songs right now, and since the issue has come up, I expect that the RBN community will issue new standards (like the adding 2X to the album art solution) to prevent it from being a problem in the future. To suggest that the too-long-song-titles-obscuring-2x-indicators issue is going to destroy the whole RBN experience is pretty absurd.
    PowerGamer990;4423525 said:

You are probably right. But I'm tired and I wrote this out already so I'll leave it
    edited June 2011
    PowerGamer990;4423525 said:
    Not really. He has valid points, even if he delivers it harshly. Perhaps it might be better if you simply refrain from posting unless you have something to contribute to the thread.

On topic, this can't really be fixed without a patch. In the PSN, I don't think it's an issue because of how the PSN displays song name data (If it's too long, it will scroll). It will require a patch to fix on the 360, and at the moment, there isn't a huge reason to rush the patch out (2 songs), but there will eventually be more.
    edited June 2011
    I was already annoyed earlier on with the folks complaining about the lack of double-bass charting (seriously, the folks with the double-bass setups has to be a LOT fewer in number than the folks with the stage kits.)

I'm not really complaining or trolling at all. I'm just reminded of someone's sig that says "Be careful what you b**** for, because you just might get it."

I brought up the PS3 folks because if they get 2x Bass versions somehow, there may NOT be an easy fix for them; never mind that HMX has already stated that there are "no new patches planned," since this issue seems to be a be character display limit issue. Folks posted work-arounds for the XBOX 360 folks.

(Edit: I wasn't aware that PSN scrolls the song data. Thanks Bront20!)

I never said anything about the RBN experience getting destroyed by this. Please do not put words in my mouth. My point was just simply: folks should have just left well enough alone. Now we have at least a couple people who may not be able to get those MS Points back for song versions that they did not intend to purchase.

I'm not trolling... but my demeanor right now is "Some metal-heads wanted the 2x bass versions, and now look what they've run into. Hope you're satisfied."

(For the record, being a bassist and not a drummer, I really could not care less if I accidentally purchase a 2x bass song, but for any drummers I run into online or not, it could mean the difference between being able to play the song or not. But I really don't purchase any RBN stuff, even though I've thought about it lately.)
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    uprkdarkwolf;4423552 said:
    I'm not trolling... but my demeanor right now is "Some metal-heads wanted the 2x bass versions, and now look what they've run into. Hope you're satisfied."
    So you think the minor inconvenience of having to check which version you're buying when a long song title with a 2x bass pedal version comes up is more trouble than allowing double bass charting is worth? Sure, only a minority of drummers have double bass setups but it's nice to finally be able to deliver it, songs with complicated double bass work often feel awkward to play when reduced for a single pedal. According to www.rockbandscores.com around 2000 people bought Marianas Trench (2x Bass Pedal) so the audience clearly isn't so small that it's not worth the effort.
    edited June 2011
    Oscarvarium;4423625 said:
    According to www.rockbandscores.com around 2000 people bought Marianas Trench (2x Bass Pedal) so the audience clearly isn't so small that it's not worth the effort.

i didnt even know it was that high, that's awesome then. i also know at least 5 people who bought the x2bass version because they dont play drums and me and a friend of mine both play with double bass when possible
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4422674 said:
    Why? So a majority of the allocated characters can be (2x Bass Pedal Version)? Yeah, I'd love choosing between double bass charts and the full song title.

Learn to try before you buy. Hit the demo button. It downloads the whole thing, so the payment after you play the bit(and see the full title) is a quick unlock.
    I don't need to try before I buy. I buy all the keyboard songs automatically and youtube everything else...i don't really care about charts. It's annoying to have to delete demos. And not sure why a majority of the allocated characters would be 2x bass pedal etc. since very few song titles are as long as this one.

It is an issue to people who might buy the wrong one and it merits a solution. But certainly doesn't merit a boycott. As usual, people that probably don't even buy much DLC have to go to the extremes.
    edited June 2011
    Seriously? Did you just completely ignore the fact that you could check the "more info" to see if it was a double bass edition? That takes maybe 8 seconds?