Does anybody else have this problem with "Have faith in me" by A Day To Remember?

DAI_TOU_ZAIDAI_TOU_ZAI Unsigned
edited July 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I don't know if its possible to re-due a song but the origional person who did it should really re-due it because the sound of the song is just crap its a really bad MP3 version used of the song and i just wasted my money buying it

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    If they redo it, you have to rebuy it.
  • DAI_TOU_ZAIDAI_TOU_ZAI Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4419593 said:
    If they redo it, you have to rebuy it.
    i really don't care if i have to re buy it they should have used a actual good MP3 file instead of a crappy one
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    DAI_TOU_ZAI;4420774 said:
    i really don't care if i have to re buy it they should have used a actual good MP3 file instead of a crappy one
    It's up to the charting group to apply and mix each track's EQ parameters, if the master stems they received weren't already mixed properly. It has nothing to do with using a poor "MP3 file". No one in the music industry works with MP3s. WAV and AIFF files at minimum.

The less compression and data loss, the better. Until it needs to be pressed to CD.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    All the ADTR songs sound like crap in comparison to the other Network songs out there, I don't know what it is with them but the mastering is just plain awful. Better Off This Way is the best sounding one of them but there's still something missing on that too.

I'm Made Of Wax is the worst of them all. Should just let Harmonix do A Day to Remember because The Downfall of Us All sounds great.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    I really don't know what happened with the ADTR songs. "Better Off This Way" is the first one that actually sounds almost exactly like the album. "Downfall of Us All" and "It's Complicated" are both close, but suffer some weird distortion on their guitar tracks (at least that's what it sounds like to me). "Have Faith in Me" just sounds...off...I don't know how else to put it. "All I Want" sounds like it was recorded underwater; the whole thing just sounds muddy as hell. "I'm Made of Wax..." is just terrible; volume on the vocal track is all over the place.

Unfortunately, not much you can do about it except deal with it. Songs very rarely ever get a do-over unless there is some crippling problem with the chart, and even then it's rare (see "Fat Kid").
  • bwestplaysdrumsbwestplaysdrums Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    I'll try and shed some light on the situation without going into too much detail.

On average, I spend 30 minutes to an hour and a half on a mix, depending on the number of stems and how closely they initially resemble the original mix. I spent about 8 hours mixing Better Off This Way, and as Siee mentioned it's still lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on.

Anyway, my point is that audio mixing is one of the most difficult parts of the RBN process, especially when presented with completely raw stems. Expecting authors armed with Reaper and a handful of plugins to match a mix done in a recording facility with millions of dollars worth of high-end gear is pretty unfair.
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Seems like a dodgy mixdown on the producer's end. You could always take the stems into a program like Pro Tools or Ableton and mix them that way, then mix down the stems individually and import them into Reaper.

Any kind of 7-band EQ plugin should be good enough if you aren't using one already. Try to mix them so that each track's frequency isn't melding into another's. For example, most vocals have a frequency range of 1,000Hz up to 4,000Hz. So, on a 7-band EQ, you should increase this range a bit to bring out the mid frequencies and enhance the vocals.

If a track sounds muddy, apply a high pass filter to remove any unwanted low frequencies on separate guitar, vocal, and drum tracks.

If you've already done all of this, then they must have been dud tracks to begin with. Bugger.
  • bwestplaysdrumsbwestplaysdrums Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    I actually do all the mixing right in Reaper. I have Logic Studio, which I use for tracking and mixing regular studio projects, but I find that Reaper's routing and track grouping options are both simpler and more flexible. Plus, Reaper has an option to render stems from all currently selected tracks - an option that Logic lacks and is INSANELY helpful for bouncing out stems.

Thanks for the tips. Trust me, I meticulously labored over EQ and compression settings to match the original mix as closely as possible - that plus some crazy snare stem editing to cut down on hi-hat bleed took up the bulk of the 8 hours.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited June 2011
    siee;4420832 said:
    All the ADTR songs sound like crap in comparison to the other Network songs out there, I don't know what it is with them but the mastering is just plain awful.

This!

It's a shame, because the HMX authored track, "The Downfall Of Us All", sounds so much better than the other Homesick songs that have come out on the RBN. I'm especially heartbroken about "Have Faith In Me" because that is my #1 favorite track from the album.

Being honest, and not trying to bash the RBN authors who work their butts off, but the audio quality of RBN tracks is really bad compared to HMX authored tracks. I don't know if it comes from HMX's audio team having more experience mixing for the game or what, but it really shows. Especially in the case of a band like ADTR that has had a HMX authored song to compare with the RBN tracks.
  • xAtreyuxxAtreyux Unsigned
    edited July 2011
    I'll repeat what I posted in the other thread about ADTR.
    Totally agree with everything you just said bwestplaysdrum, I'm just happy there are a few ADTR tracks in RB and I hope for some more in the very near future. To me they don't sound that bad as some people make them out to be, oh and for anyone who is wondering I'm Made Out Of Wax Larry What Are You Made Out Of is the demo version of that song done by ADTR I don't know why they chose the demo version of the song but just incase why anyone is wondering it sounds different to the album version that is why. Also great job on Better Of This Way your hard work definitely paid off with that track in my opinion it doesn't sound to far off the album version so great job! lets hope there is more to come.