To Buy or not to Buy? "Codes and Keys"

RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
edited July 2011 in History of Rock
Can anyone who has bought the new Death Cab for Cutie album "Codes and Keys" tell me if it's any good? I've gotten mixed reviews from iTunes and Amazon. Thanks!

Comments

• Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited June 2011
  • RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    Lameboy19;4420250 said:
    pirate.

argh.

If you really cared about music and respected the musicians you would pay for their music, otherwise you aren't a real fan.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    well if they don't put something out that's worth paying for I won't

I go to shows to support my favorite bands, and I try my best to buy albums I love, there's nothing wrong with downloading an album as a "sample" and then deleting it if you didn't like it or going ahead to buy it if you did

I don't like the notion that I paid for crap
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    If Death Cab's last album is any indication (as I have not heard Codes and Keys yet.), it should at least sound pretty interesting as Gibbard is being influenced by new soundscapes and textures. I'm sure some might find Gibbards style very derivative or boring, but I haven't thought either represented Death Cab for quite some time. Heck, the only song I loathe, let alone dislike by Death Cab for Cutie was the dreadful and pandering "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" from Plans.

and to add to the PIRACY OH MY debacle, real enthusiasts of music don't care about supporting the "music as an industry" model and support artists with merch and concert fare.

I'll probably pick up C&K sometime soon so I can represent a better perspective.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I think Death Cab's fanbase has become so basic that Gibbard has gradually declined in quality. Haven't heard this one and most likely never will, but singles are incredibly disappointing when compared to anything pre-Plans, and that's saying something when I think they were middling to begin with.

from herkyjerky on RYM in his review of the Laser Lens Cleaner (re: consumerism debate):

"My review of this album isn't going to be clever or funny. It's going to be deadpan and honest like I usually am, though very self-consciously so and the smirkage that usually lurks beneath is my own private pleasure. I'm giving this 0.5 stars to express my hatred of CDs, and since I type 100+ words per minute it's inevitable I'm about to elaborate on this thought. For that matter, it can be extended to express my hatred of vinyl, cassettes, 8-tracks, minidiscs, and any other format for storing musical information besides the currently optimal one. I hate owning things. I hate the culture of collecting things. I hate the obsolete system of musical commerce. I'm completely in favor of the future paradigm of universal access, advanced metadata management, and donation-based commerce. Over a year ago I eliminated at least 95% of my possessions, including virtually all of my CDs (about 3 or 4 thousand), cassettes, and vinyl (only a few hundred because I never got into that other than picking up children's records, local gospel records from the 70s, etc from thrift stores--but I did own a copy of Polly Bradfield's solo violin album that gave me all kinds of happiness and I relished the Jack Rose solo albums on vinyl I'd purchased from him as a gesture of support and genuine appreciation for a (now dearly missed) friend/neighbor/scene-mate, which included all the associations of him explaining/ranting about his love for vinyl, right down the sounds and smells of opening a new gatefold). I also got rid of about a thousand books and only kept about a hundred that I will actually use in a meaningful way in the next few years, all of which I'd happily replace with PDFs if it was practical. Now my lifestyle is simple, elegant, focused, glorious, and, above all, portable/modular. I don't use paper (except index cards HPDA-style and the grandfather-clause book collection) and I don't have objects to keep track of besides what I'm actually using in a selective way on a daily basis. I live in a tropical island rural paradise and I could move anywhere in the world tomorrow at the drop of a hat with most of my essential possessions, including about 3 TB of music I have carefully archived on hard drives, which take up very very little space and allow me to enjoy music at a completely different level of interconnectedness, spontaneity and fluid integration with the other aspects of life. I have never enjoyed music as much as I do now that I've completely rejected the ownership/object/collector paradigms. (Foobar2000 gets a lot of the credit too.) All the bull**** cliches about looking at album art (hang a painting on your wall or take a walk in nature to enjoy flowers, birds, etc while listening to an mp3 player), holding something in your hand (try genitalia as a tactile alternative), listening as a ritual (everything you ever do in life can be treated as a ****ing ritual), etc can be completely refuted. And 99% of the claims about sound quality for vinyl and CD are delusional placebo bull****. And for that other 1%, is it really worth it? The rarely used, but now very feasible, upper levels of digital recording quality like 24/96, involving a computer for all stages of input and output, are easily superior to the best possible vinyl or CD. By the way, all gods and supernatural entities are ****ing fictions from the miraculous human imagination, and astrology/horroscopes/clairvoyance/mystical-healing/etc is all a placebo effect generated by the miraculous human brain. People are generally incredibly ****ing naive and stupid, and it's a situation that puts my whole worldview into an uncomfortable stalemate. CDs are incredibly obsolete at this point in time. I have many close friends whose livelihoods or hobbies are based on the old paradigms of vinyl and CD commerce, and my heart goes out to them and their life's work/passion; my fullest respect goes to the beautiful paths they've chosen; I would be concerned about offending them with these viewpoints, but I don't think any of them will read this review of the 1989 classic CD Laser Lens Cleaner release, so I feel safe ranting here. The internet provides valuable opportunities for people to be totally honest like this in a semi-anonymous way. I'm nicely hidden away from my real-life entanglements in the music world here on RYM and I'm grateful for that. (I just remembered that I actually used to run a small record label a few years ago and release handmade crafty CDRs and even collaborated on a vinyl LP release. Ouch. Youth passion misapplied.) Simple, honest communication and the pursuit of pleasure are priceless luxuries. If I had millions of dollars sitting around, I'd give it to those beloved friends so they could retire and we could all move on to greater joys of existence and the liberation of music and all other forms of social information. By the way, I still have an optical drive in my computer and I recently went to Walmart and bought a pack of blank CDRs to burn some mixes to listen to because I was in the unfortunate situation of driving a vehicle with a CD player and no auxiliary input jack for my mp3 player! I mainly just use a bicycle and don't own a car anymore, so that was quite a double-whammy. I know I'm weak and lame; I could've spent all the driving time doing Jaap Blonk style vocal improv or learning overtone singing instead of listening to CDs, but those songs by Black Sabbath, Shirley Collins, Sun City Girls, Iron Maiden, Slapp Happy, etc from my mixes were profound moments of musical ecstasy, so I have no regrets. Idealism is best applied 80% of the time. Also, I used to have hundreds of "failed burn" CDRs sitting around that I saved for some reason (maybe thinking they would serve some kind of art/craft/interior-decorating project one day), and I kinda wish I hadn't thrown them away because they would be PERFECT to string along in the fig trees here to ward off the birds via light reflection. It is so frustrating when a big and ripe fresh fig gets eaten by a bird before I can pick it."
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    when compared to anything pre-Plans, and that's saying something when I think they were middling to begin with.
    Perhaps the singles have been dropping in quality, but Gibbard has been playing with some quasi-centric post-rock ideas as you can tell on Narrow Stairs, which I personally think was a fantastic release. His songwriting is getting denser and more layered; though I have not heard the single(s) from the new one, I don't imagine it deviating from Gibbard's growth on albums like Plans, The Photo Album and Narrow Stairs.

Yeah, I like his more straight-up "indie" pop material; but I've always found his art pop and "progressive" songwriting ahead of it as a whole, but not as single samples. Eh.
  • YingaGartenYingaGarten Unsigned
    edited July 2011
    Don't bother with it, very disappointing album. Only good song on it is You Are a Tourist.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    If you've enjoyed what the majority of Death Cab's work has been the last couple of years, you'll enjoy it the same.

If not it's just going to be annoying.