Overrated Bands

RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
edited June 2011 in History of Rock
Does anyone else have those bands that eveyone else seems to like but you really don't like them at all? Mine is AC/DC, I think the vocals are obnoxious, the lyrics are awful, and the drums are boring. What's your's?

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    DerLindwurm;4419680 said:
    I doubt there are any bands out there that someone doesn't consider overrated.
    That's because 'overrated' has come to mean, "Too many people like the things I don't like, how dare they."
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    Odd Future. Just terrible.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited June 2011
    [your favorite band]
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Rubber.

How often do we really use it? And yet it gets all this attention.
  • EdwardooEdwardoo Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    I think, the most overrated band of all time, is booring Avenged Sevenfold,
    I hate when somebody saying how brutal and great they are, they aren´t even metal I think, more a Pop Rock,
    also the drummer, ok I feel sorry that the drummer died, R.I.P
    but he is not the best drummer in the world as someone says, Neil Peart can do 100 times better solos and is 100 times better on drums, also that drummer from Slayer, sorry I don´t know his name, he is also better,
    Well ok, drummer isn´t so bad from Avenged but he isn´t definitely best
    Another overated band is Nirvana, Curt Cobain sucks so much, why everybody likes someone that hated himself and killed himself? everybody says that he sayed some really wise and wonderfull words, but I mean, nobody knows them so why everybody says that he sayed something very good for our lifes, and also, a lot of songs really sounds as if he was really on drugs very bad,
    And Guns N Roses is last, but atleast I can stand them, but Axel Rose is stupid
    Well that´s all about this Thread from me, I apoligize for those who likes those bands, but I just hate Avenged Sevenfold and Nirvana, but atleast I can stand Guns N Roses
  • RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    Edwardoo;4420157 said:

Another overated band is Nirvana, Curt Cobain sucks so much, why everybody likes someone that hated himself and killed himself? everybody says that he sayed some really wise and wonderfull words, but I mean, nobody knows them so why everybody says that he sayed something very good for our lifes, and also, a lot of songs really sounds as if he was really on drugs very bad.

The thing about Nirvana is that they brought a whole new additude to the mainstream, without them music would be so different than it is now. They really helped develop alt rock and indie, although the 80's had a lot of indie too, Nirvana made it more accesible. Their actual msuic, however, is somewhat overrated, though. I agree with you there. "Smells Liek Teen Spirit" is decent, but "In Bloom" is unbearable. "Heart Shaped Box" is a pretty good song, though.
  • PapaHetPapaHet Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, now it's not because I don't respect what they did for music I do, but I don't like a single song from either yet it seems everyone else goes on and on about how awesome stairway would be on rock band but it's an 8 min song that doesn't have very much going on in the start.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    If it wasn't Nirvana, it likely would've been The Melvins, whom Nirvana basically cribbed from. Guess King Buzzo had the last laugh by outliving Cobain.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Cubecubed;4420015 said:
    Odd Future. Just terrible.

u crazy bro
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    deja vu.

RHCP
    Sublime
    GnR

these three bands get praise for no reason. I hate them all and each member (minus Flea) individually
  • SnitskySnitsky Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Well yeah AC/DC for sure

And then (Brace yourself I'm really gonna say this!) The Beatles. Yes compared to the other stuff in their time period they were totally awesome but now they seem quite boring on most songs

Pink floyd , Radiohead , The Black Keys are all over rated as well imo. The 1st 2 mostly sound extremely boring and the third sounds only a small step up from extremely boring.

Green day , because they really shouldn't have had their own video game

Going to have to say Muse as well because the demand for them on this game is ridiculous despite it seeming to me like their songs that aren't singles (And even some of their singles) honestly just sound weird

I also think QOTSA are over rated , because outside of like 4 or 5 songs I find them to sound really odd/annoying personally

Megadeth is over rated as well because even though on a technical level they are more or less the most badass musicians in the world , Daves vocals are pretty horrendous sounding alot of the time :/

Also I feel the guy cubecubed around here , that he is personally over-rating Coheed & Cambria , but in general they aren't really over rated

Like someone mentioned just because they said a band is over rated does not mean they think they are bad
    FlyGuyLXI said:
    Genesis
    Kamelot
    VNV Nation
    Tribe

They're all very overrated and I can't stand them.
    And this too , MAN KAMELOT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jk lol)
    edited June 2011
    I also think that CCR isn't all that great, they bore me. And Beastie Boys' songs literally give me headaches (except for Sabotage)/. Intergalactic and Brass Monkey are both really obnoxious.
    edited June 2011
    RHCPfan96;4420255 said:
    Beastie Boys' songs literally give me headaches (except for Sabotage)/. Intergalactic and Brass Monkey are both really obnoxious.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

I don't think I'll ever understand not liking the beastie boys
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    My top 3 would be:

Coheed And Cambria
    Muse
    Rise Against
    edited June 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4420240 said:
    u crazy bro

Im not saying they're bad,its just that music critics slobber all over themselves to praise them.Frankly i don't see the appeal.

Also if I'm going to be called out by people who are still mad about an imaginary voting thing,Chris Pennie has more talent in his pinkie toe than all of the full bands you listen to. /hyperbolebutprobablystilltrueinsomecases
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Sonic Youth. That's right ***** I just said that.
    edited June 2011
    exploder;4420342 said:
    Sonic Youth. That's right ***** I just said that.

just imagine a picture of me with crossed arms and a disappointing look on my face
    edited June 2011
    Muse would probably be up there on an overrated bands list... and I'm more or less a fan. They're good, but they're not in the same territory as fellow countrymen Radiohead or Amplifier.

As far as other bands I like that could probably be considered overrated...
    Radiohead (odds are you probably think half their catalog is "meh", even if those "meh" albums span eras)

Dream Theater (their most famous album to the average person is terribly produced and their last few are best listened to as instrumentals)

Kamelot (probably second- or third-tier progressive power metal at best)

I'd add Vampire Weekend, but I think they've fallen to a more manageable level commensurate to their abilities after the release of Contra.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    I don't have anything against Sonic Youth,in fact I like Incinerate
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited June 2011
    This topic in general has gone on so long and it bugs me that people just can't accept that there will be bands they don't like, but still a lot of people do like those bands. Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of my favorite bands in which their album "By The Way" stands as possibly my favorite album of all time. I realize that many people don't like them or more specifically that album, but that's just it, it's music. We're given freewill to love or hate things, but for some odd reason people continually get mad at others for liking something.

I'll let South Park explain my thoughts on calling things overrated in a funnier manner. (warning some language)
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153287/beating-a-dead-horse
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited June 2011
    I think it's really unfortunate how much attention Radiohead and Thom Yorke get for nearly everything they do. Put me in the camp of people who think The Bends is the best album they ever made - since then, I feel like they've been totally overshooting their abilities in an attempt to be "artsy" or "experimental", two things I don't think they're particularly talented at. To me, they will always be better as a straightforward rock band rather than anything else.

To put this all into perspective, for about a week a few months ago Pitchfork's headline was an article about Thom Yorke performing a surprise DJ gig somewhere in California. I mean...really? This is considered headline material? Now if Jeff Mangum had performed a DJ set I could totally understand the importance since that dude never makes public appearances, but come on. Thom could take a poop in a public park and Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, etc. will totally blow it out of proportion.
    edited June 2011
    Witticus;4420376 said:
    This topic in general has gone on so long and it bugs me that people just can't accept that there will be bands they don't like, but still a lot of people do like those bands. Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of my favorite bands in which their album "By The Way" stands as possibly my favorite album of all time. I realize that many people don't like them or more specifically that album, but that's just it, it's music. We're given freewill to love or hate things, but for some odd reason people continually get mad at others for liking something.

I'll let South Park explain my thoughts on calling things overrated in a funnier manner. (warning some language)
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153287/beating-a-dead-horse

Hence why I did my construction the way I did, referring only to "overrated" bands that I actually liked... if you're going to be critical like that, why not look inward?
    edited June 2011
    Witticus;4420376 said:
    for some odd reason people continually get mad at others for liking something.

nah, I just don't see why people decide to praise mediocrity

I don't care if people like it, I'll still think they're overrated
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2011
    Because everybody else is participating, why not. I'm staying away from the obvious though.

Neutral Milk Hotel (Good first album though)

The Cure (shallow wannabe goth)

The Flaming Lips

Animal Collective (Sung Tungs is an example of making 50 minutes of nonsense and passing it off as art)

The Mountain Goats (I like them but I know other folk musicians that can perform circles around them)

James Blake (Apparently some people think when you ***** and moan, your music is automatically good)

Radiohead (I don't hate them but I don't see how their albums, which I don't even consider breaking boundaries, considered to be history making)
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    ^Take out NMH and TMG and add U2 (maybe; they get a fair amount of hate, but I don't even like the "good" stuff they've done) and Converge, and that might be my list. Well, I'm not familiar with James Blake, so I'd take him off as well.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2011
    seriousbusson;4420435 said:
    ^Take out NMH and TMG and add U2 (maybe; they get a fair amount of hate, but I don't even like the "good" stuff they've done) and Converge, and that might be my list. Well, I'm not familiar with James Blake, so I'd take him off as well.

I don't like Converge either, but then again, I don't like anything metalcore which is why I never included them. The only metalcore bands I were able to stand were Protest the Hero and Merauder, and I don't listen to either one anymore.

James Blake is one artist that the HoR does not bring up a lot thankfully, but a lot of the alt/indie and Pitchfork kiddos I know somehow think he's a genius, getting a spike in popularity, which is one reason why I've included him.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited June 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4420432 said:

The Cure (shallow wannabe goth)

I don't take issue with you considering The Cure overrated, but labelling them shallow wannabe goth is a little harsh when Robert is the first to admit his band is pretty far removed from the goth movement. They were never a part of the Batcave scene, and in fact they started off as a pretty straightforward punk band.
    edited June 2011
    The Cure are ****ing amazing.
    edited June 2011
    I agree that Radiohead has some overrated songs, but songs like "Creep" "High and Dry" and "Karma Police" (their more straightforward rock songs) are incredible.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Cubecubed;4420340 said:
    Im not saying they're bad,its just that music critics slobber all over themselves to praise them.Frankly i don't see the appeal.

As my ridiculous retort hinted at, I was just playing around. I do like a good amount of what Odd Future has released, but they have some duds ("***** Suck Dick" is laughably bad, I think). Earl probably has one of the best flows I've ever heard, though.