Bands/Artist that should be in The Rock and Roll Hall fame.

RESERVERRESERVER Unsigned
edited June 2011 in History of Rock
Title say it all. For here three that stand out most

RUSH: 3ed only to the The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in most consecutive gold album. 2112 and Moving Pictures are to of the best albums ever made. There live show is one of the best around. There also already in the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

Bad Religion: One of the biggest bands to make it out of Hardcore punk scene of the 1980's. Help start Independent record labels boom in the 1980's with the making of Epitaph Records. Save punk with 1988's Suffer and 1989's No Control. Also help start the warped tour.

Jim Croce: A very underrated singer songwriter of the 1960's and 1970's. Lot of great hits like I got a Name, These Days, and Operator (That's Not the Way It Feels) to name a few. His live show was also one of a kind. As it was just him and his good friend Maury Muehleisen and there guitars and a piano player. No big stage show which is something you don't see a lot these days or when he played.He was also taken way to soon when he was just about to quit playing music so he could raised his kids.

Comments

• Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    there are so many bands and artists that are deserving

it ends up being a popularity contest, just like the Grammy's where the popular vote wins

To be honest there are a huge number of bands that have had just as much influence on scenes that never get publication, but are just as important to music as whole for creating such diversity, narrowing it down to such an exclusive list really seems impossible, for instance Crass, Rites of Spring, nor Black Flag will probably ever make it into the Hall of Fame because of the little recognition those scenes got, however each artist massively influenced a major genre of music each of which are still going strong today.

then again, it's late, I'm pissed, and I just need something to complain about, I didn't check my facts, and I'm damn sure that no one will read this, but **** it. I hate myself.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Until the voting criteria is reformed to factor in influence more than record sales many artists will continue to be snubbed.

And even with the status quo, many bands that are rock bands are getting snubbed in favor of pop acts.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited June 2011
    Deep Purple, The Cure, and Bon Jovi all come to mind.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Wilson Phillips and the Apples in Stereo.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    I think Korn should be added:

first nu metal band.
    first retired MTV video that ISN'T a boy-band video.
    they did the whole "make a music video for us and we give you prizes" thing before most were doing it.
    VERY loyal fanbase,with fans from all ages.
    influenced a LARGE number of bands.
    collaborated with everyone from Metallica to Ice Cube to The Cure.
    popularized seven-string guitar in metal bands.
    and they sell a lot.
    edited June 2011
    I'll drive to cleveland and set the whole building on fire if that happens.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Soror_YZBL;4424940 said:
    I'll drive to cleveland and set the whole building on fire if that happens.

at least it isn't Limp Bizkit(and this is coming from someone who kinda likes them)

EDIT: have you heard anything before Korn's last 3 or 4 albums?

if I burned down the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame it would be because of "****y indie-pop bands" as Jello Biafra describes them.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited June 2011
    I would list a bunch of great influential bands right now, but no one deserves such a fate as being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Sex Pistols had it right.
    edited June 2011
    exploder;4424944 said:
    at least it isn't Limp Bizkit(and this is coming from someone who kinda likes them)

EDIT: have you heard anything before Korn's last 3 or 4 albums?
    I never will. I value my ears.
    if I burned down the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame it would be because of "****y indie-pop bands" as Jello Biafra describes them.
    That'll be a while. I don't think Arcade Fire'll be inducted until at least 2025.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Hungryfreak;4424963 said:
    I would list a bunch of great influential bands right now, but no one deserves such a fate as being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Sex Pistols had it right.

This.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4424724 said:
    Until the voting criteria is reformed to factor in influence more than record sales many artists will continue to be snubbed.

And even with the status quo, many bands that are rock bands are getting snubbed in favor of pop acts.
    Record sales aren't it. It's basically how much they played kiss-ass to their labels. After all, if it were based on sales, Rush would have been in a long time ago.
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    It is kinda partially sales, that goes into it. They select a certain number of "big names" every time, ignoring actual influence on the world of rock, because they need to sell tickets to the charity dinner and nobody will come if it's a load of random people they've never heard of. The Rock and Roll hall of fame is a joke, I am honestly surprised anyone continues to give a crap about it. Remember the "voting criteria", as it was put in this thread, is not laid out anywhere, it's up to the vote of a VERY small group of people, it's all about their own personal taste and who they think will draw people.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Considering Laura Nyro is in the hall of fame, record sales and popularity do have absolutely nothing to do with the nomination process. It's all down to whoever the small committee likes enough to nominate.

Any way, instead of giving a snappy answer about the HoF being a joke, here's a few bands who deserve to be in the hall, unquestioningly:

Kraftwerk
    Bauhaus
    Joy Division
    Depeche Mode
    T. Rex
    The Cure
    Ministry
    Throbbing Gristle
    Nick Drake
    Misfits
    Venom
    Duran Duran

Stopping before I get all wistful and depressed about some of my favorites getting snubbed year after year.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    It's really the "Jann Werener's favorite band's" Hall of Fame (VH1 should take it over as they do much better than Rolling Stone) to the point where he lowered the entry age to 20 just so Nirvana could get in sooner. Rush is proabably the most infamous band denied entry, but here's a list from me, apologies if they are already in, and I am aware some of these bands are too young:

RHCP
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper
    Megadeth
    Anthrax
    Slayer
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Radiohead
    Rush
    Yes
    Genesis