Gigakoops: Chiptune music coming to RBN.

GigakoopsRBNGigakoopsRBN Opening Act
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Hello, friends! I'm here to announce a new development.

My first "album," entitled "Gigakoops" is coming to Rock Band Network. I still have a lot to do before the songs are released, but I can assure you: these charts are not for the weak-hearted. That's right, most of these songs will be insane on at least one instrument.

Songs so far:

Death In General
Night
Project Unknown
Levels (level 1) (level 2) (level 3) (level 4)

I'm also working on additional songs and experimenting with new sounds and effects. I also plan on making a long-ass song for the game.

I just make music for fun, and have always wanted to release songs onto RBN as soon as it was released. Now I am, and nothing can stop me! lol

Songs in Playtesting:

Death In General (2x Bass Pedal)
Night
Night (2x Bass Pedal)
Project Unknown

Songs In Peer Review:

Death In General

Published:

Comments

• joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    When I finish your album cover will it be shown with these songs your submitting.... because that will be the greatest thing ever... First time my work is ever shown in a video game if thats the case
  • GigakoopsRBNGigakoopsRBN Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    joescorpion;4429815 said:
    When I finish your album cover will it be shown with these songs your submitting.... because that will be the greatest thing ever... First time my work is ever shown in a video game if thats the case

Yes it will :D
    edited June 2011
    New Site. I'll update whenever I can.

http://gigakoopsmusic.webs.com/

Also, my first single, Death In General, is in Playtesting, if you're an active member of the creators site.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    I sent you an email, Gigakoops, but I'd be willing to make you a website for close to free (I started a business and am looking for practice/examples)
    edited June 2011
    atalkingfish;4429872 said:
    I sent you an email, Gigakoops, but I'd be willing to make you a website for close to free (I started a business and am looking for practice/examples)

Oh, you're the guy that sent me that. OK, I'll think about it, though I think I've got it covered for now.
    edited June 2011
    New song up on Youtube and soon in Playtesting:

Night
    edited June 2011
    Hey Gigakoops I finished your album cover... let me know what you think so I can improve on it...
    http://cinemetalbloghog.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/gigakoops-purple.jpg
    this is only the jpeg and is not in its highest quality so this is for the web... if you like it I will send you the PDF for print
    edited June 2011
    joescorpion;4432685 said:
    Hey Gigakoops I finished your album cover... let me know what you think so I can improve on it...
    http://cinemetalbloghog.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/gigakoops-purple.jpg
    this is only the jpeg and is not in its highest quality so this is for the web... if you like it I will send you the PDF for print

Thank you for this. This is quite awesome! Of coarse I got your revised version via email too, and they're both awesome. Thanks :D

I'll use it for future Youtube uploads and when they hit RBN.
    edited June 2011
    Glad you like it man... Let me know when the album is being released so I can perhaps purchase a copy... this is a great moment for me... the first album cover I have ever completed.
    edited June 2011
    New video showcasing joescorpion's album art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL9kxtojUKA&lc=06XPbC-ieDLwKmNVbsVCCqjTiyPW4DEy7FXSvpnKFhQ

It's a little static-looking, but that's because Windows Movie Maker is a piece of crap! Loljk, it just likes to mess up picture quality.
    edited June 2011
    More songs coming soon, including what will probably be a multi-part song similar to Veil of Illumination. I'm kind of torn between instrumentals and including vocals, though.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    GigakoopsRBN;4435373 said:
    More songs coming soon, including what will probably be a multi-part song similar to Veil of Illumination. I'm kind of torn between instrumentals and including vocals, though.

While I'd personally be interested in either (I just love chiptune, period!), chiptunes with vocals are a welcomed rarity in my eyes. Out of all the chiptune acts I know, only a handful actually use vocals, and those that do make it work.

If you find a way to make vocals work with your songs, I personally am all for it. I'd still buy instrumentals though. :)
    edited June 2011
    Arcanon;4435382 said:
    While I'd personally be interested in either (I just love chiptune, period!), chiptunes with vocals are a welcomed rarity in my eyes. Out of all the chiptune acts I know, only a handful actually use vocals, and those that do make it work.

If you find a way to make vocals work with your songs, I personally am all for it. I'd still buy instrumentals though. :)

Thing is, though, is my voice sucks. I could use REAPER to modify the sound, but I really don't like my voice. But I'd also like to start songwriting, as I've done it for school projects, it's fun and my lyrics have gotten praise by my friends.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    GigakoopsRBN;4435402 said:
    Thing is, though, is my voice sucks. I could use REAPER to modify the sound, but I really don't like my voice. But I'd also like to start songwriting, as I've done it for school projects, it's fun and my lyrics have gotten praise by my friends.

You could try a guest vocalist.
    edited June 2011
    Arcanon;4435425 said:
    You could try a guest vocalist.

Don't really know any vocalists here, but I'll make it work somehow...
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2011
    Does this count as "Chiptune," per se? I thought the premise of chiptune was rooted in the specific process of using the sound chips from old computer/game systems to create new music. Your compositions seem cool but I do think it would sound better if you could somehow record them off of some vintage hardware. Otherwise I'd suggest at least trying to find some more authentic-sounding retro synth voices.

I think adding vocals could be cool. It'd add some personality and some extra gameplay value to the tracks. If you aren't confident in your voice you could try recording it several times over to create a chorus effect, or possibly find somebody online to sing for you.
    edited July 2011
    New RBN Preview for "Death In General" thanks to ASP-Mike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHZVCLObrE
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    GigakoopsRBN;4435893 said:
    New RBN Preview for "Death In General" thanks to ASP-Mike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHZVCLObrE

I sort of like it.

Make the solo a lot more interesting (musically) and take out the double bass sound during the section @ 1:09 and I'd say it's a pretty good little track. The evil laugh was an awesome touch.
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4435920 said:
    Make the solo a lot more interesting (musically) and take out the double bass sound during the section @ 1:09 and I'd say it's a pretty good little track. The evil laugh was an awesome touch.
    Fun fact: The evil laugh is actually from one of my friend's videos. I got permission to use it (he put the video on Creative Commons on Youtube, so anyone can use it really) and so I used it to fill up what would have been complete silence. Here's the video.
    edited July 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQIx_ut1mPs

Here's a preview video for "Night" which is still in Playtesting.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    GigakoopsRBN;4438448 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQIx_ut1mPs

Here's a preview video for "Night" which is still in Playtesting.

You might need to reduce the rapid repeated keys in the solo, they might be too fast for people to hit. I know that one of the Andromeda songs had the same issue.
    edited July 2011
    New Twitter account! Updates of upcoming songs and releases will be posted here.

http://twitter.com/#!/GigakoopsRBN
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    That drum solo doesn't even look doable. That's crazy!
    edited July 2011
    Updated the OP with 2x Bass Pedal versions, and Death In General hit PR this morning.

Also, my RBN video for Night has recently gotten a bunch of hate comments. Does anyone know why there's a sudden surge of negative attention? Or sudden surge of views, for that matter?
  • turnitup321turnitup321 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Your music does not deserve hate, Gigakoops. If I had an Xbox, I'd buy all of it, and enjoy all of it.

Anyone who does have an Xbox, buy this when it comes out. It's awesome!

EDIT
    You might need to reduce the rapid repeated keys in the solo, they might be too fast for people to hit. I know that one of the Andromeda songs had the same issue.
    The repeating strikes in Night are slower than the unreduced keys in Chameleon Carnival.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Keep in mind that people who learn to play keyboards learn to alternate between a finger and a thumb for rapid-repeat notes (see "Schizophrenia" by Jukebox the Ghost. Totally playable on pro AND std keys because of that method. If you check the music video, that is how he plays it)

If you want to go by that method, just remember to never chart fast repeats to green notes on std keys (because you can't alternate between your thumb and your thumb)
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    atalkingfish;4451406 said:
    Keep in mind that people who learn to play keyboards learn to alternate between a finger and a thumb for rapid-repeat notes (see "Schizophrenia" by Jukebox the Ghost. Totally playable on pro AND std keys because of that method. If you check the music video, that is how he plays it)

It's hard to tell from just a video how hard the fast strumming is, but that makes it seem like this should be realistically possible.

BTW, I tried defending you on the Night video Gigakoops, I have no idea how you're getting all this hate. Have you tried checking your video stats and seeing if people are visiting a link or something?
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited July 2011
    I like both songs and will be getting both when on XBL :D. I just hope that more songs by you will be around the same difficulty on guitar and keys, though if one is a little difficult I'd still get it.

Keep up the good work :D.
    edited July 2011
    AskariNari;4451481 said:
    It's hard to tell from just a video how hard the fast strumming is, but that makes it seem like this should be realistically possible.

BTW, I tried defending you on the Night video Gigakoops, I have no idea how you're getting all this hate. Have you tried checking your video stats and seeing if people are visiting a link or something?

The stats page is glitchy. It says there's only been 2 views within the past few days, when it's obvious there's been more.

EDIT: Yeah, I just had to repost, because I used the wrong profile :/

And thanks for all the compliments. Even with the hate from, what, three viewers(?) I'm still making music and releasing it for you.
    edited July 2011
    MegaIronDragonDeth;4451539 said:
    I like both songs and will be getting both when on XBL :D. I just hope that more songs by you will be around the same difficulty on guitar and keys, though if one is a little difficult I'd still get it.

Keep up the good work :D.

Don't worry, my next song could be as hard as DragonForce. On everything! (Though I'm contemplating on adding vocals, and I don't think those will be that hard.)