I feel like I'm betraying hmx by saying this.. but.. this is going to get heavy

edited July 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
I just read impressions by the scorehero guys on GH3.. I wasn't REALLY excited about it before ( I was still going to buy it ), but now after hearing their impressions it went not only to must buy but.. I think I'm just as excited about GH3 now as Rock Band. Of course, rock band still has drums that will be megaton awesome.. but from what I read.. the track list sounds to be freaking amazing. This year shall be awesome for us rhythm game lovers. it shall be very interesting to see and we are lucky to live during a time like this =)

heres their impressions.. im curious to see what some of you guys think:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19183

they start with the press release kinda thing, the posts after that are their impressions from a 6 hour playtest.

god, I wish we were in november!!

Comments

• DIEGOROBOT26DIEGOROBOT26 Banned
    edited July 2007
    Both games are going to make me lose what little of a life I had left, thanks HMX and Neversoft.
  • tmanrockstmanrocks Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Magnet;25068 said:
    GH3 better have a damned good track list if it's planning to compete with Rock Band at all. So no surprise there.
    Well , personally so far its like this for me

GH3 has 2 OMG songs

rock band has 0

GH3 = imo not only competing , but WINNING... in my eyes
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    tmanrocks;25071 said:

GH3 has 2 OMG songs

rock band has 0

the way i see it,

GH3 has 4-5 awesome songs

Rock Band has 2 awesome songs

GH3 has 2 instruments

Rock Band has 4 instruments

GH3 has released double the songs Rock Band has

Rock Band has alot more to come

GH3 has 70 tracks to play(some DLC)

Rock Band has potentially thousands of tracks to play thanks to DLC

GH3 has single songs by bands

Rock Band has full albums

So far, gh3 is winning with the setlist, and RB is winning with features, but in the end i know RB would easily take both.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited July 2007
    tmanrocks;25071 said:
    Thank god I don't have to see through your eyes. Ever think about getting glasses?
    edited July 2007
    Rev0lver;25073 said:
    So far, gh3 is winning with the setlist, and RB is winning with features, but in the end i know RB would easily take both.
    TRUTH!

• AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Here is my side:

Guitar hero 3 is their next step of desperation. Neversoft is getting desperate. All they're doing is wasting money on expensive masters. And they are LOADING the game with tons of little gimmicks that are just going to make the game more boring and frustrating after a while. They're making the game into a Mario Party game of sorts. They're making it into a "You better have friends or else this game is going to be boring as hell" kind of game. It's just getting repetitive. Rock band brings tons of new elements to the game. New instruments, online play, rankings, possible achievements, downloadable albums, everything that Guitar Hero doesn't! Now, I'm not trying to get you guys to not get GH3. I'm definatly getting GH3 myself, mainly because I'm a Guns N Roses mega-fan, and looking forward to facing Slash.

But, back to my point. They're making the game into a huge gimmick. Reminds me of Mario Party. The first twenty minutes of the game is amazing! But then it just gets repetitive. They're making it into a party game just so that you can use half the new features of the game.

And besides, Scorehero is hyping GH3 more than anyone is. They're probably getting paid to say it. They most likely are just trying to bring Rock Band down by saying "Guitar Hero Three is so freakin' amazing!!"
  • MrMet2087MrMet2087 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    im going to buy both, but yeah guitar hero 3 knows they can't compete with the gameplay and DLC of rock band, the only thinkg i think that puts them on the same stage as rock band right now is if they drop some zeppelin or ac/dc on us, anything else they reveal doesnt mean much to me personally, just my opinion though, now with that said i will buy both, im just looking foward to rock band right now way more
  • Jsnkr9216Jsnkr9216 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    tmanrocks;25071 said:

GH3 has 2 OMG songs

rock band has 0

Rock Band has 8 OMG songs out of 40 so far.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive
    Stone Temple Pilots - Vaseline
    Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
    Rush - Tom Sawyer
    The Ramones - Rockaway Beach
    The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
    David Bowie - Suffragette City

GH3 has 4 OMG songs out of 70 so far.

Tenacious D - The Metal
    Foghat - Slow Ride
    Guns 'N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
    ZZ Top - La Grange

Rock Band is winning in my eyes.
    Living Color - Cult Of Personality
    edited July 2007
    I'm banned from Scorehero forums... Even though i've never went to Scorehero before.

So.. Could somebody copy/paste some stuff they said on that forum?
    edited July 2007
    Well we are all entitled to our opinions

I breifly stated mine earlier but here is what I think in depth

Guitar hero 3:

Tracks I love: (2)
    Through the fire and the flames
    Rock you like a hurricane

Tracks I like: (5)
    Welcome to the jungle
    Barracuda
    Cherub rock
    The metal
    Knights of cydonia

Tracks that I strongly dislike: (2)
    Sabotage
    Number of the beast (For lyrical reasons)

Other pros:
    Over 70 songs , and the list is already looking good to me so it can only get better
    Boss battles/Battle mode
    Exchangable faceplates should be cool

Other cons:
    No DLC as far as I know

Rock band:

Tracks I love: (0)

Tracks I like: (5)
    In bloom
    Enter sandman
    Paranoid
    Rockaway beach
    Tom sawyer

Tracks I strongly dislike: (2)
    Won't get fooled again
    Mississippi queen

Other pros:
    Drums
    Microphone
    DLC songs/albums , however I hope the DLC won't be an empty promise as it was w/ gh2
    Customizable characters
    Online play

Other cons:
    Prices may be an issue

In summary,

Overall rock band IS EASILY the better game , however... my individual tastes are not pleased AT ALL by rock bands soundtrack so far , and w/o a great soundtrack a great rythm game can't be much fun

Overall GH3, is obviously inferior in every aspect but the sound track (in my opinion) , and quite honestly... soundtrack matters most in games like these

GH3 and rock band have equal numbers of songs I like , and hate , however GH3 has 2 songs I LOVE , and love is a far greater thing than like... thats the point at which I actually listen to a song on my own time.

To be the better music game to any one individual the said individual must actually enjoy SOME of the games songs

I as of right now:
    - Have decided I am without a doubt buying guitar hero 3

- Am unsure about purchasing rock band... do I really want to pay $60+ for a game with 0 songs I actually want to play? I may change my mind depending on future announced songs

Point is really , these are MUSIC rythm games and obviously , supposing someone was completley indifferent to the songs on each game , rock band would win ... I however just am not even close to liking rock bands song list... don't flame me for saying that... its just the truth about the way I feel about rock bands song list so far, they can throw fancy ass mega-popular band names and popular as hell songs at me left and right and it won't mean a thing to me.
  • BlackHoleBlackHole Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    So far I'm gonna get both, GH3 already has a stellar setlist gameplay is solid and online multiplayer. Rock Band I haven't heard a single song on this thing and I'm only getting this for online multiplayer.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    tman, i somewhat agree with you at this point but, RB has been pretty quiet about their songs so far, they've only released half as much as GH3. and once you see the final GH3 setlist THATS IT. with Rock Band you will see new stuff coming out every week. with Thousands to Seventy, you will easily find more you like in rock band than gh3. GH3 to me is like Halo 3. I will buy it eventually, but i'm not going to be one of the people waiting in line at best buy for 2 weeks straight. I pre-ordered rock band a few hours ago after i saw the gamepro article.
    edited July 2007
    Rev0lver;25116 said:
    tman, i somewhat agree with you at this point but, RB has been pretty quiet about their songs so far, they've only released half as much as GH3. and once you see the final GH3 setlist THATS IT. with Rock Band you will see new stuff coming out every week. with Thousands to Seventy, you will easily find more you like in rock band than gh3. GH3 to me is like Halo 3. I will buy it eventually, but i'm not going to be one of the people waiting in line at best buy for 2 weeks straight. I pre-ordered rock band a few hours ago after i saw the gamepro article.
    Does the gamepro arcticle say something I don't know?

For me GH3 is like .... one of those games where I go to the store 1st thing when I wake up to buy

Rock band is one of those games you said like halo 3 , you might get eventually

Really... if rock band can impress me with some newly announced songs , or announced DLC songs further down the line I most certainly will buy it... rock band said they would be making lesser known bands famous... which is a good sign imo , because so far they have been rolling with uber popular bands that I don't really care much about... with the exception of rush and the ramones... however they picked bad tracks for those two imo
    edited July 2007
    I'll be at Gamestop 10 AM on the release day of both games.
  • edited July 2007
    seriously.. I'm getting both asap. I can't wait till both parties tell us more songs. UBERHYPED
    edited July 2007
    bounchfx;25136 said:
    seriously.. I'm getting both asap. I can't wait till both parties tell us more songs. UBERHYPED
    Werd to this guy's mother.
  • lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    RB now has several OMFG songs and 2 OMFGH4XL337 albums

RB wins. Guitar hero PLUS enough features / things to play to fill a friggin canyon with. I am excited for GH, but I'm way, way, way the hell more excited for RB than I was for GH2 after playing GH -- and I was excited for GH2.

HMX you guys are my freakin heroes. Best rhythm games [or almost just games in general] ever.
  • ledrumsledrums Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    yah, i'll definetly buy both, but rock band kicks guitar hero's ass, simply because of the drums. end of story. byebye
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    I think that the fans are feuding much more bitterly then the companies themselves.

Rejoice people, we have two HUGE games coming at us, each looking incredibly awesome. Instead of arguing we should be ecstatic.
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    Yeah , GH3 has caught my attention with its killer tracklist plus heres where Harmonix Failed , At E3 their Trailer was soo Boring compared to GH3 trailer , Suffragate City in the trailer Whaaat ? They defenitly could had made a trailer with a Waay Better song , this is what is see from my point of view but yeah Playing drums and guitar thats why am getting RockBand
    edited July 2007
    bounchfx;25136 said:
    Yeah ...

I'm more so waiting for some new rock band songs since GH3 just told us 4 more the other day
    edited July 2007
    benjamin;25148 said:
    I think that the fans are feuding much more bitterly then the companies themselves.

Rejoice people, we have two HUGE games coming at us, each looking incredibly awesome. Instead of arguing we should be ecstatic.
    Yeah I really don't see why they're making it a competition. I mean I'm more excited for RB but it's not like I want GH to die just because HMX doesn't make it anymore. If anything, look at the past couple years beginning with GH1... How many master tracks did it have other than bonus... One? Not even one? I don't even remember.

GH2 had several because it was a more well known game.

GH3 Has 70 percent masters including bonus songs

RB has 2 downloadable albums and tons of master tracks..

What I'm getting at is this type of game in general is starting to get the credit it deserves from artists and companies. Granted they see there's money in it now, but still. Both franchises have a very, very bright future now that the industry knows hmx/activision are doing their damndest to stay true to the music and true to the fans.
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Guitar Hero had zero master tracks in its main track list.

Also the 80s edition had 5. Or 1/6 of the total list.
    edited July 2007
    Maybe a stupid question : Why legally have they been forced to do covers on any song?
  • StungunJonesStungunJones Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    The way I see it, the more the merrier. I intend on getting both, though if it came down to a choice, I would pick Rock Band, no question.
    edited July 2007
    benjamin;25157 said:
    Guitar Hero had zero master tracks in its main track list.

Also the 80s edition had 5. Or 1/6 of the total list.
    Thanks for confirming... Yeah, 80's is altogether a different animal to me though. I'm just pretty happy with the way they've been able to shape the games and become so well known from out of nowhere basically. Well known enough to work with some amazing artists and get some amazing music for us.

PROPS TO LITTLE STEVEN as well, we haven't really heard much about his efforts but I'm sure he's a big help.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited July 2007
    tmanrocks;25160 said:
    Maybe a stupid question : Why legally have they been forced to do covers on any song?
    Disclaimer: I don't know any of this for a fact, but this is what I've gathered.

It's much cheaper to license a cover version of a song than the master track. An artist might also take issue with these games. They could be afraid of a video game degrading their music so they might refrain from letting their original version be tampered with.

Some instances have nothing to do with legal issues though. If you played GH: 80s, two of the masters fade out at the end which is a first for Guitar Hero, and it's a little awkward. With cover versions, you can alter the songs to fit the game perfectly.

Also, some tracks are too old for their master recordings to be of any use in the games.

When Guitar Hero was starting, it had no reputation - making covers the most financially sensible and viable option. Going into the next game, a couple masters were obtained as the series was growing. Jane's Addiction and Primus were probably glad to have their masters in the game. The latest GH game (80s) has more masters than ever before as the Guitar Hero reputation keeps building.

It just makes sense that Guitar Hero III will see many masters as artists are catching onto the idea of the game and how cool the concept is. Some big guns are anxious to get their stuff in it now.

Rock Band is luckier to have the MTV-owned Harmonix developing it though. Beyond the reputation of Harmonix, its connections with MTV and record labels give it an unprecedented level of access to obtain these master tracks that some artists were never releasing before.

Neversoft might have trouble keeping up on their level of master tracks. The Guitar Hero concept can only take their master-track-seeking so far. I don't see how they could ever obtain the level of masters as a company owned by MTV will get.
  • fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    gh III has number of the beast, through fire and flames, and welcome to the jungle.

oh and a lil number called suck my kiss.

rock band has crappy nirvana, the (forgotten) who, and one good song. paranoid.
    right now rockband is looking weak to me.
    i think its gonna take reign in blood on the DLC to get rock band ahead of gh for me.
  • edited July 2007
    or some OPETH! which I have a strange feeling that GH has already.. :\

GH has the power not to worry about screaming vocals and insane double bass drums...

but RB still has tonsss of potential. but remember, it's all opinion on the songs.. (though some are distinctly more fun to play than others), I'm not a huge fan of Nirvana's "Nevermind" (well.. not anymore at least), but I'm sure that alone will sell the game a bunch.
  • edited July 2007
    that being said it would be totally BADASS for bands to debut songs on RB / GH, kinda like they used to do with myspace or whatever the crap.
    'whoevers new song from new album available NOW only on Rock Band!' would freakin' RULE.