PS3 2x Bass Pedal Interest?

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited July 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Many RBN metal songs are being released on Rock Band with two versions. There's the regular version (which isn't marked in any way) and the 2x Bass Pedal version.

A 2x Bass Pedal version of a song is identical in all respects to the original version of the song except that the Expert Drum and Pro Drum tracks cannot be played on a standard Rock Band drum kit. They are created specifically for Expert Drum and Pro Drum players who have two bass pedals and can play nonstandard versions of the song.

To date, we have not brought any 2x Bass Pedal RBN songs to PS3. Should we? This poll is specifically to help me evaluate player interest (and disinterest).

Comments

• HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited June 2011
    Tykki-Teme;4435138 said:
    As I said in another thread, is a 2X pedal version is released, it should also have the basic version available. That way everyone could play it the way they wanted.

We only release 5 songs a week to PS3. I don't think it makes sense to release 2 versions of a song instead of releasing 2 different songs.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    I'm all for 2x Bass songs, but the 2x version shouldn't be counted in the 5 we receive. Five different songs + eventual 2x. Honestly, if we were to receive, for example, three songs only because two of them has a 2x version I'd be disappointed.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    HMXLachesis;4435153 said:
    We only release 5 songs a week to PS3. I don't think it makes sense to release 2 versions of a song instead of releasing 2 different songs.
    Well, then I voted for regular version only. I play tons of devil tiered songs on my 360 but I have no interest in 2x songs. If the PS3 can only get one version, it should be single pedal.
    edited June 2011
    LunaticSoul;4435213 said:
    I'm all for 2x Bass songs, but the 2x version shouldn't be counted in the 5 we receive. Five different songs + eventual 2x. Honestly, if we were to receive, for example, three songs only because two of them has a 2x version I'd be disappointed.
    The limit is placed by Sony, not Harmonix. They get 5 songs a week, period.
  • ZorrkiZorrki Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    I say that we stick to the single pedal due to song limit. Also if a person who plays drums on expert but doesn't have an expanded kit wouldn't these (2x bass) versions be nearly unplayable to them? I'm assuming that there's more people without a second bass pedal than those with one.

(Also I accidentally pressed the wrong button on the poll, I wanted to say the 4th option not the 3rd)
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Kariodude;4435112 said:
    I feel like there are probably plenty of great RBN songs that should be released on PS3 before a 2x Bass version of any song should. If there wasn't a 5 song a week limit, I could see this being a good option for popular songs. As it stands now, an announcement of an already available RBN song with 2x Bass would probably get a lot of "we already have that song" comments and in the end would only sell to people who play 2x Bass. Everyone that only sings or plays guitar would have already bought the song.
    This. Defenetly this. I'd be really happy to have some 2x bass pedal version of the songs (even if I don't own a double bass pedal yet) but the 5 songs limit would make everything complicated.

Look at how many songs we didn't get ported over (I'm talking as a ps3 user) from the RBN1.0 list. Imo, with the 5 song limit, having different songs it's defenetly better than having the same song two times, both for online gameplay (songs in common) and for variety (that's always a good thing).

I guess that if SONY would agree to up the gap to 10 songs per week, having a 2xBP would be great, and extremely good for the community, but, as it is, for me it's better to have a vast choice of songs, artists, and genres.
  • PeridotWeaponPeridotWeapon Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Of course, in a perfect world, they wouldn't be wasting time and effort releasing the same song twice. Patch in a "fifth" difficulty as an optional add-on (much like Pro Guitar/Pro Bass), or an "on/off" toggle for Double Bass. If that setting is on, then the applicable song measures have their pedal data altered accordingly, without any need to change the music data.

Gets around the PS3 song limit, keeps the number of "fake" songs on the RB3 total song list from rising any further, and stops cluttering up the marketplace on the 360. Also lets them offer a single paid download to upgrade the back catalog with 2x Stomp action where applicable.

Odds are, charting a single song on Pro Guitar/Pro Bass would take more effort and manpower than going through ALL the DLC and doubling the stomps on specific measures of a single chart.

Won't happen, but it'd be a lot better than the half-functional method they use now.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    PeridotWeapon;4437533 said:
    an "on/off" toggle for Double Bass. If that setting is on, then the applicable song measures have their pedal data altered accordingly, without any need to change the music data.

IMO this is the most viable option, having a double bass switch along with the cymbal switches and then have kick notes that in the MIDI data are marked to only appear if that switch is flipped. This way only one version would have to be made and everyone is happy, except people who complain about the feature not being implemented beforehand.

As for the poll, if HMX could get Sony to allow them to make exceptions and port both versions when the standard version is ported I'd be for it, but if it's either or they should only port the standard.
  • edited July 2011
    Considering the limited number of slots available per week, I'd say go for the version that is accessible to the largest number of people, ie the regular version.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Der_Lex;4438268 said:
    Considering the limited number of slots available per week, I'd say go for the version that is accessible to the largest number of people, ie the regular version.

That's the thing, as far as accesibility goes, most people don't even make it to expert, so having a 2x version wouldn't hurt them
  • edited July 2011
    TubaDude49;4438332 said:
    That's the thing, as far as accesibility goes, most people don't even make it to expert, so having a 2x version wouldn't hurt them

That's a fair point to make, actually. I guess then it becomes the question of what percentage of expert players wants to play double bass and/or has that extra bass pedal readily available. If most expert players only have the stock kit, you'd be denying them the possibility of playing the song on their usual difficulty. On the other hand, you'd be denying those that want to play double bass the opportunity to play their way if you go for the 'single pedal only' route.

It's a tough call, because either way will leave some players unhappy and there's no inherently 'better' option (at most, you can say single pedal only has been the HMX way of doing it, so it'd be good to stay in that mold, although you could just as easily say that RBN is the perfect opportunity to break that mold), but I think there has to be a choice, because I think we can all agree that we don't want to 'waste' the limited weekly PS3 RBN slots on a second version of a song that has only a marginal difference (I'd personally be fine with getting full RB3 versions of older RBN tracks, however).

Personally, I'm fine with either way of doing it: I do have an extra bass pedal from my RB1 kit, so I could give double bass a try if any of the songs I like (most likely AD) would only have their double bass pedal versions released on the PS3. If it turns out to be too tough, I could just drop down to hard (which I have to do with most AD songs anyway).
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    ii think a better way to judge instead of asking the forums is to release one 2x bass version, see how it does, and then judge weather it's worth releasing more or not
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    Zemanator;4438366 said:
    ii think a better way to judge instead of asking the forums is to release one 2x bass version, see how it does, and then judge weather it's worth releasing more or not

Unless you also release the single bass version at the same time, there's no control and so no way to tell if sales are based on it being a double bass version or based on the song itself.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited July 2011
    AskariNari;4437623 said:
    IMO this is the most viable option, having a double bass switch along with the cymbal switches and then have kick notes that in the MIDI data are marked to only appear if that switch is flipped.
    This would require both a major revamp of the RBN pipeline and a patch to the game. It's a nice idea in the abstract, but it really isn't feasible.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    HMXLachesis;4438412 said:
    This would require both a major revamp of the RBN pipeline and a patch to the game. It's a nice idea in the abstract, but it really isn't feasible.
    Rock Band 4 feature? :rolleyes:
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Oscarvarium;4438418 said:
    Rock Band 4 feature? :rolleyes:

Should already have been in RB3.
  • DrilnothDrilnoth Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    If both can be released without it cutting into the 5-a-week limit, I'd like to see both versions. Otherwise, just the normal version, please. If someone doesn't have two pedals, they can't play 2x bass tracks and so there should be at least the option of playing the track normal-speed. Since people with two bass pedals can play 1x bass songs, that should be the standard since it is available to all drummers, not just those which have two pedals.

On a separate note, why is there still no "Master" difficulty for drums which has double bass for all songs with it charted?
    edited July 2011
    NoThru22;4435240 said:
    The limit is placed by Sony, not Harmonix. They get 5 songs a week, period.

Any idea why Sony placed that limit? It seems to me that they'd probably make more money if more DLC was available...
  • edited July 2011
    Drilnoth;4438450 said:
    Any idea why Sony placed that limit? It seems to me that they'd probably make more money if more DLC was available...

Because they do not have unlimited manpower for QA testing PSN content each week. They have to test every piece of content supplied by third parties.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I don't play drums and I don't care for most of the metal that makes its way onto RBN (Visions-style difficulty tiering is an instant turnoff), so I won't claim to have a big stake in this. But my gut feeling is that it's better to release standard versions. And, of course, it should go without saying that we should not have two slightly different versions of the same song when we only get five each week.
    edited July 2011
    Der_Lex;4438453 said:
    Because they do not have unlimited manpower for QA testing PSN content each week. They have to test every piece of content supplied by third parties.

Dang. Sony, you want to hire me? I can at least test songs for content... :p

I have to admit, this is the one point where I find one of Microsoft's products superior to other companies'. It especially bugs me if Sony is the one holding things up.
  • edited July 2011
    Drilnoth;4438543 said:
    Dang. Sony, you want to hire me? I can at least test songs for content... :p

I have to admit, this is the one point where I find one of Microsoft's products superior to other companies'. It especially bugs me if Sony is the one holding things up.

I'd imagine Microsoft has about the same weekly capacity for online content QA testing. What they have that Sony doesn't, though, is the XNA Framework, that makes it unnecessary for them to be involved at all in the QA process, leaving that to peer review instead. So it's not that Sony's QA is insufficient, it's that Microsoft offers a service that Sony doesn't (which does make the Xbox a superior and even crucial platform for RBN purposes).
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2011
    I'll admit I'm torn on this.

[LIST=1]
    [*]I don't buy most of the content that would be effected by this, so from that aspect it doesn't effect me.
    [*]Even if I did buy said content, I have trouble playing expert on songs of the difficulty most 2X Bass pedal songs would be at anyway, let alone suddenly learn how to use the 2nd pedal.
    [/LIST]

What's best for most folks? Well, I don't see a lot of folks being effected either way. The normal charts have the least downside. 2X players can still play them, and normal players can too. The 2X charts make the 2X players happy (which may or may not be the majority of folks buying the song to play expert anyway), but normal folks are limited to hard, or an otherwise impossible for them expert chart.

So, while I don't have a real horse in this race, I think the normal pedals will be the least problematic for most folks.
  • DLCquickplayDLCquickplay Unsigned
    edited July 2011
    With the 5 song weekly limit, it wouldn't be fair to other songs.
    edited July 2011
    DLCquickplay;4439938 said:
    With the 5 song weekly limit, it wouldn't be fair to other songs.
    They're talking one or the other, not one or both.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    With the five song per week limit, I would prefer only one version of any song. Please no 2x bass.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    lvmathemagician;4440575 said:
    With the five song per week limit, I would prefer only one version of any song. Please no 2x bass.
    You'd only get one. This thread is to discuss if it should be the 2x or the regular.
    edited July 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4440621 said:
    You'd only get one. This thread is to discuss if it should be the 2x or the regular.
    It looks like he understands that and posted his opinion on the matter.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    Bront20;4440471 said:
    They're talking one or the other, not one or both.

Then no, as RB drummers with one pedal are the majority.
    edited July 2011
    LunaticSoul;4440761 said:
    Then no, as RB drummers with one pedal are the majority.

I'm not 100% sure about that, at least for folks who regularly play songs that might require 2X bass, but I think that there's less overall negative effect if we get only the regular chart, because I'd rather have folks be upset that they don't get the extra pedal chart rather than folks upset because they can't play the chart they got.

I find it amusing that the Wii vote is the most popular though.
This discussion has been closed.