July 2011 Artist of the Month

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited July 2011 in The Rock Band Network
To recognize both Amberian Dawn's incredible musical talent and the band's intense devotion to Rock Band as a music platform, we've named Amberian Dawn the Rock Band Network Artist of the Month for July 2011.

In short, if you want to call it the Amberian Dawn Network for the next month, you have our blessing.

Interview: http://www.rockband.com/blog/rbn-aotm-july-11-amberian-dawn
Artist page (including the gorgeous video for Arctica!): http://www.rockband.com/songs/artists/Amberian%20Dawn

Comments

  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    HMXLachesis;4436285 said:
    In short, if you want to call it the Amberian Dawn Network for the next month, you have our blessing.

    Good comeback :) Arctica has a great video!
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Kudos to them, they're my favorite artist among RBN content.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436583 said:
    Really? Ugh.
    Seriously, ugh? Why? The only advantage you get from this is the thread, the blog post, and the bit of RBN Store menu. It's not like they're magically discounted and you're frustrated that Band You Like X could have been discounted by winning this.
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    I'm actually surprised to find they weren't already an artist of the month.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436583 said:
    Really? Ugh.
    I know, right? God forbid that RBN Artist of the Month should go to a band that wholeheartedly supports RBN and a shining example of the publicity RBN can give to any band...

    Seriously, I can't think of a single band more deserving of the title at this point. Even people who don't like them all that much generally seem to agree that Amberian Dawn are the definition of RBN done right.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Oscarvarium;4436604 said:
    I know, right? God forbid that RBN Artist of the Month should go to a band that wholeheartedly supports RBN and a shining example of the publicity RBN can give to any band...

    Seriously, I can't think of a single band more deserving of the title at this point. Even people who don't like them all that much generally seem to agree that Amberian Dawn are the definition of RBN done right.

    It's just annoying how popular they are in the RBN world. And I absolutely hate their vocalist.

    It's great for those who like them, but me?... It's just annoying. I'm allowed to think it's annoying, right? I'm allowed to express myself, right? So, that's why I posted. I mean, it's not like I was a douchebag about it.
  • DarkEternal37DarkEternal37 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436605 said:
    It's just annoying how popular they are in the RBN world. And I absolutely hate their vocalist.

    It's great for those who like them, but me?... It's just annoying. I'm allowed to think it's annoying, right? I'm allowed to express myself, right? So, that's why I posted. I mean, it's not like I was a douchebag about it.

    I'm actually with you for the most part. I'm happy for fans of the band because they have a ton of music available and I can only hope that my favorite bands eventually do the same thing or even do half as much. However, I personally feel they are overrated.

    The main reason they bug me as much as they do is that I'm on PS3 and I don't get all of the songs the 360 gets. If I had access to all of the songs in the RBN library, then I wouldn't care at all. But every time they get a song over to PS3 (which is A LOT) it's a wasted slot on something I might actually purchase. Yes, that's a very personal problem, but that's why it's my opinion I suppose.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    DarkEternal37;4436648 said:
    But every time they get a song over to PS3 (which is A LOT) it's a wasted slot on something I might actually purchase. Yes, that's a very personal problem, but that's why it's my opinion I suppose.
    Yes, but let's not pretend they're the sole band that applies to. ANYTHING you don't like is a 'wasted slot', so why single out one band that's treating RBN well, and clearly selling well enough to be ported, showing that it CAN be done, and possibly convincing bands you DO like to give RBN the same treatment?

    There's no more reason to dislike them being AotM than any other artist you don't musically like. But they have damn good reasons for BEING AotM.
  • DarkEternal37DarkEternal37 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4436651 said:
    Yes, but let's not pretend they're the sole band that applies to. ANYTHING you don't like is a 'wasted slot', so why single out one band that's treating RBN well, and clearly selling well enough to be ported, showing that it CAN be done, and possibly convincing bands you DO like to give RBN the same treatment?

    There's no more reason to dislike them being AotM than any other artist you don't musically like. But they have damn good reasons for BEING AotM.

    Oh I agree they should be artist of the month or artist of some prior month. They definitely have put enough effort forward to warrant it. I was just agreeing on the point that I didn't really like them as much as the masses seem to.

    You are also right that anything I don't like is a wasted slot to me. They just have an inordinate amount of those wasted slots and thus they stand out in my mind more than any other band.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436605 said:
    So, that's why I posted. I mean, it's not like I was a douchebag about it.

    Your first post in this thread was closer to being impolite than the opposite.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436583 said:
    Really? Ugh.
    Amberian Dawn has let HMX print money so you can complain about not getting what you want in Rock Band.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    How is what I said "impolite". Lol. I mean, c'mon.

    Gosh darnit, guess I can't express an opinion that's not everyone else's without sounding "impolite" or out of line or something. Two freaking words and I didn't even use the word "suck" or "bad" or anything. I said "Really? Ugh.", walked away and everyone feels the need to be so damned defensive.

    And I don't give a damn if whatever artist I want doesn't get the artist of the month, it's just the fact that this band is releasing songs so amazingly frequent (more than 2 songs one week, c'mon), they're all very popular, everyone thinks they're so amazing, and now they're Artist of the Month. I, personally, just found that annoying. Is that REALLY such a bad thing?
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Hmm. Im a fan of the band and have downloaded in full the first two albums that were released as DLC on RBN, the third ive only grabbed two songs so far but ill get the rest when ive got the loose change for the lesser known tracks to me from that album.

    The reason for the hesitant "hmm" is actually because the think i most like about these AOFM announcements is they usually are accompanied by an interview from HMX. Im not sure if there is one for this announcement as i sadly dont always notice these threads devoted to AOTM when they get posted as i dont actively seek them out but i do rather liked the HMX interviews and it also spurs me to check out the bands RBN songs on the likely chance i never gave them a look first time round.

    No word of a lie ive bought a few songs now simply because being AOTM exposed them to me enough to give them a listen and get hooked. Fair to say i dont need to check out the efforts of Amberian Dawn, im well aware of their music and delighted to have discovered them through RBN... they have done more for showing how bands can connect with their fans through RBN than hundreds of the other bands on RBN combined and i think the consistent contributions from the likes of Rose of Jerico and A.T.O.M and who ever else should be applauded not condemned.

    Im dissapointed some are being so vocally against a band getting the accolade of Artist of the Month especially with avatar pictured depicted an artist who is himself readily featured with several track offerings in RBN through various authors again showing a great sense of supporting the RBN yet not gaining any of the negativity as of late shown towards this band and some others before them.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Skode;4436855 said:
    Im dissapointed some are being so vocally against a band getting the accolade of Artist of the Month especially with avatar pictured depicted an artist who is himself readily featured with several track offerings in RBN through various authors again showing a great sense of supporting the RBN yet not gaining any of the negativity as of late shown towards this band and some others before them.
    Well, to be fair, JoCo is only about 20X as talented as them ;)

    And he doesn't release 20 songs a month. Even as a huge JoCo fanatic, I'd probably find that sort of annoying.

    Again, this is not about me not liking the band nearly as much as it's just about having this band being EVERYWHERE in the RBN world.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436858 said:
    And he doesn't release 20 songs a month. Even as a huge JoCo fanatic, I'd probably find that sort of annoying.
    But wouldn't that still be better than zero songs in 6 months? ;P
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436858 said:
    Well, to be fair, JoCo is only about 20X as talented as them ;)

    And he doesn't release 20 songs a month. Even as a huge JoCo fanatic, I'd probably find that sort of annoying.

    Again, this is not about me not liking the band nearly as much as it's just about having this band being EVERYWHERE in the RBN world.

    I understand... the problem for them i guess is having one of the biggest authors behind them means the songs do get charted, tested and released much quicker than most would even have dreamed of and not only that but TWICE in most cases with 2XBass versions also thrown in the mix.

    This is not the fault of the band though nor the fault of the authors behind it though - its just a case of the way the wind blows at the moment as once the third album is fully released you wont be seeing anymore of the band for a good while.

    At the end of the day we could well have called it the Main Drag Network for the first few months and the months following the Metal Network haha.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I thought these already had Artist of the Month, guess not.. this is well deserved to the band, they've done a lot for the Network when they didn't even have to. Kudos to these, and I hope to see the new album in January on the Network too.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436851 said:
    Is that REALLY such a bad thing?

    It is if your post is dripping with unhappiness about somebody's success. Many people would classify this as something stronger than the mild term "impolite".
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    AD absolutely deserve this, all of their tracks have a top notch production level.

    Don't like Symphonic Metal? It's optional content, it's not the end of the world.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    raynebc;4437464 said:
    It is if your post is dripping with unhappiness about somebody's success. Many people would classify this as something stronger than the mild term "impolite".

    Oh pa-lease. I SAY TWO WORDS: "Really? Ugh." And that somehow brings about all this. That I'm being impolite or perhaps even worse. It's amazing. I'd hardly call that "dripping" with unhappiness.

    If I had something along the lines of "Jesus Christ, this band sucks. It's amazing how many schmoes buy their songs."... then you might have something.
    Pankrazzo;4437472 said:
    Don't like Symphonic Metal? It's optional content, it's not the end of the world.

    I never implied that it was. I just said it was annoying. That's ALL.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4437497 said:
    Oh pa-lease. I SAY TWO WORDS: "Really? Ugh." And that somehow brings about all this. That I'm being impolite or perhaps even worse. It's amazing. I'd hardly call that "dripping" with unhappiness.
    It was a very emotive pair of words though. 'Really?' implies that you're surprised, and 'Ugh' implies that you feel they don't deserve it. 'They suck' is only two words but would have had more or less the same meaning here. Something along the lines of "not a fan but good for them" or even "I really don't like them but I get why they're AotM" would have been a more polite way of putting it.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Oscarvarium;4437507 said:
    "I really don't like them but I get why they're AotM" would have been a more polite way of putting it.

    But, I don't think they deserve it. Never did I imply that. And I'm not really happy for them (I don't hate them for it either, just not "happy" for them) because they already have way more than enough attention (which is why I find this annoying). So... in order for me to be "polite", I have to be agreeing with you. Right?

    I'm done. I'm allowed to think they don't deserve it, I'm allowed to think they suck and I'm allowed to think it's annoying how much attention they get. It's called an opinion, people.

    Do you NOT see how much you guys are blowing this out of proportion? I do NOT see how saying "Really? Ugh." is just soooooooooo rude. I could've been nicer?! What you're doing is splitting hairs. Being difficult. Sure, I could've been a little nicer, but was I rude? Really?! No!

    I should point out that I don't have a grudge or anything against the band. I JUST think it's annoying. For the love of God, can we please end this discussion? It's just plain dumb.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4437534 said:
    But, I don't think they deserve it.
    There is no argument that Amberian Dawn shouldn't get Artist of the Month. If they don't then what exactly does a band have to do to deserve it (other than be liked by you)? No other artist has shown the kind of support they have, so from a completely objective point of view it's obvious why they do and stating that they don't isn't an opinion, it's just hating.

    I don't mean to go on at you specifically, I guess I'm just slightly sick of people bashing Amberian Dawn for being so into RBN when really it's every other band that's at fault for not doing the same thing. I understand to a degree when people are mistaken and think that RBN has a limited number of spaces and one band releasing so much means that other bands don't get a chance, but just a little bit of research on their part would show that's not the case. More bands should do what they do, whereas people only seem capable of arguing that instead, they should do what other bands do and have less on RBN (again, this is general and not aimed at you). Instead of saying "Man, I don't like AD but have so much stuff on RBN, I wish they wouldn't do that" people should be saying "Man, I don't like AD but have so much stuff on RBN, I wish other bands would do that"
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I am not saying don't release tons of content. Because, that's awesome. Any band is welcome to. It's just how frequent they release their stuff. I'm talking 3 songs in one week, then at least another one in the following weeks? Jesus.

    It's like Guitar Hero and how they kept pushing out titles. It's like... dudes, one at a time.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4437620 said:
    I am not saying don't release tons of content. Because, that's awesome. Any band is welcome to. It's just how frequent they release their stuff. I'm talking 3 songs in one week, then at least another one in the following weeks? Jesus.

    It's like Guitar Hero and how they kept pushing out titles. It's like... dudes, one at a time.

    What does it matter how many songs they release. They have a back catalog and are releasing it. It's not like RBN has finite slots.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Objectively speaking, they do deserve to be artist of the month because they exemplify extremely well how Harmonix hoped artists would market themselves through the Rock Band Network. Saying they have too many songs is like saying any other particular artist has too many songs, and is just complaining.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4436858 said:
    Well, to be fair, JoCo is only about 20X as talented as them ;)

    And he doesn't release 20 songs a month. Even as a huge JoCo fanatic, I'd probably find that sort of annoying.

    Again, this is not about me not liking the band nearly as much as it's just about having this band being EVERYWHERE in the RBN world.
    That's JoCo's choice. Do you think that JoCo approached RockGamer and said "Hey, let's put my entire catalog on the Rock Band Network" and RockGamer said "F you, JoCo, we're too busy putting Amberian Dawn's catalog on the network." No, AD's catalog is on the network because they ponied up and put it on there. I'm anxiously awaiting more JoCo myself.

    Also, Amberian Dawn does not deserve to be RBN Artist of the Month. A month only has 30 or 31 days. Amberian Dawn should be RBN Artist of the Year.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    raynebc;4437665 said:
    Saying they have too many songs is like saying any other particular artist has too many songs, and is just complaining.
    It's not complaining, it's an opinion. You're free to say that it's not annoying and I'm free to say that it is. And, YET A-F***ING-GAIN, it's not how many songs they have, it's just how FREQUENT they are put out coupled with their popularity that makes this whole thing annoying for me.

    I think it's just a simple matter of you people not understanding the concept of difference of opinion. They do NOT, for a fact, deserve to be AotM. As much as you'd like to think that, it's not true. As much as you'd like to think, for a fact, the original Star Wars trilogy is vastly superior to the newer one, it's not true.

    O. P. I. N. I. O. N.

    Got it?
    NoThru22;4437790 said:
    That's JoCo's choice. Do you think that JoCo approached RockGamer and said "Hey, let's put my entire catalog on the Rock Band Network" and RockGamer said "F you, JoCo, we're too busy putting Amberian Dawn's catalog on the network." No, AD's catalog is on the network because they ponied up and put it on there. I'm anxiously awaiting more JoCo myself.

    And.... your point? Did I ever say that I thought all that AD was holding up more JoCo? No.

    You people are just simply amazing.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    It's really amazing how all this started with a simple "Really? Ugh."

    You people really need to realize just how overly defensive y'all are being. And just how much y'all ignore my points. It's blowing my mind right now.

    Picture a band you hate... let's say.... Hannah Montana.

    She puts out 3 songs in one week, and throughout previous weeks and the following, she always seemed to put at least one other song. All of her songs are bought by hundreds if not thousands of people each time, she has her very own thread on the forums, everyone talks about how she's so amazing, etc. and then she's made Artist of the Month.

    Now, you are not about to tell me that you would not be at least a LITTLE bit annoyed by that. And if you wouldn't be annoyed by that, some people very easily would and they're free to be like that.

    AD is obviously better, but they're both bands I hate nonetheless. Can't you people just live and let live? I had my opinion on the matter and I was somehow wrong for saying it. It's just so dumb.
Sign In or Register to comment.