More post-hardcore in Rock Band

AlexBBMiniMeAlexBBMiniMe Unsigned
edited July 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
I would really love it if there was more post-hardcore in Rock Band, that's my favorite genre and it is becoming very popular here are some bands:

A Day To Remember, Alexisonfire, Enter Shikari, Escape The Fate, At the Drive-In, Asking Alexandria, Thrice, Alesana, The Fall of Troy, Fugazi, blessthefall, Attack Attack!, A Skylit Drive, Underoath, Chiodos, Dance Gavin Dance, Thursday, Silverstein, Saosin, Eyes Set to Kill, Funeral for a Friend, Glassjaw, From First to Last, We Came As Romans, Pierce the Veil, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Emarosa, Black Veil Brides, Of Mice & Men, The Blackout, Drop Dead, Gorgeous, La Dispute, The Word Alive, Adept, The Blood Brothers, Emery, Devil Sold His Soul, In Fear and Faith, Before Their Eyes, LoveHateHero, Sleeping With Sirens, The Amity Affliction, Confide, Story of the Year, Woe, Is Me, Greeley Estates, We Are The Ocean, I Set My Friends On Fire, Aiden, Our Last Night, I See Stars, I Am Ghost, Finch, Fightstar, Protest The Hero, Oceana, Hopes Die Last, Broadway, As Cities Burn, Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows, Vanna, Isles & Glaciers, Memphis May Fire, Abandon All Ships, mewithoutYou, Fear Before the March of Flames, Senses Fail, These Arms Are Snakes, Drive Like Jehu, Bear vs. Shark, Sparta, A Static Lullaby, He Is Legend, Burden of a Day, The Receiving End of Sirens, The Used, Close Your Eyes, VersaEmerge, The Devil Wears Prada, Jamie's Elsewhere, boysetsfire, Motionless In White, House vs. Hurricane, Glamour Of The Kill, Sky Eats Airplane, Her Bright Skies, Refused, akissforjersey, The Almost, Miss May I, Architects, From Autumn to Ashes, Hot Water Music, Madina Lake, Secret And Whisper, Four Letter Lie, HORSE the band, Scarlett O'Hara, Ice Nine Kills, The Sleeping, and many more

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4439974 said:
    A lot of the bands I listen to don't come from major labels, or even if anything, no label at all.

So it's their fault they're not on RB, don't blame other bands or RBN :/
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2011
    I agree with this, solely for the fact that it's my brother's most-wanted genre, and the stuff available isn't enough for him.

Plus, what about Wii users that want this stuff?
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited July 2011
    kingtonyx;4440103 said:
    So it's their fault they're not on RB, don't blame other bands or RBN :/

When RBN first opened, there was a lot to discover, and every band there had a chance. I must've bought a little over 30 tracks on opening day. Ever since the post-hardcore labels jumped in and hogged all whatever popularity, it hasn't been the same, and I'm lucky to buy a track there once a month because it's completely droughted of variety and potential.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2011
    It hasn't been the same ever since RBN added those rules banning anything but Post hardcore songs like Pac-Man Fever.
    edited July 2011
    true, Bed Intruder is pretty hardcore
    edited July 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4440158 said:
    It hasn't been the same ever since RBN added those rules banning anything but Post hardcore songs like Pac-Man Fever.

And why are we centering around a single band? You gather up all of the artists released on RBN the month of June and odds are the majority of artists makes up of metalcore and post-hardcore.
    kingtonyx;4440164 said:
    true, Bed Intruder is pretty hardcore

I wouldn't touch that song with a 100 foot pole.
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4440166 said:
    And why are we centering around a single band? You gather up all of the artists released on RBN the month of June and odds are the majority of artists makes up of metalcore and post-hardcore.

Sure, if you call Amberian Dawn, Db Softworks, Devin Townsend, Graveyard BBQ, B.e.t.a and the Neon Pathers, The Story Changes, NeonFly, an Unkindness, Chaotrope, LeetStreet Boys, and Fallen Angel Post-Hardcore.
    edited July 2011
    The following in bolded white are/can be called post-hardcore/metalcore:

A Day To Remember
    Action Action
    Amberian Dawn
    an Unkindness
    Antoine Dodson & The Gregory Brothers
    Asking Alexandria
    B.et.a and The Neon Panthers
    Blackguard
    Blessthefall
    Bonded By Blood
    Bring Me the Horizon
    Buckner & Garcia
    Chaotrope
    Closure In Moscow
    Cold Goodnight, The
    CyLeW
    dB soundworks
    Destruction of a Rose
    Devin Townsend
    Don Tetto
    Dr. Acula
    Garden of Eden
    Graveyard BBQ
    Grynd Rodd Muse
    Haunted, The
    Hella Donna
    Hip Kitty
    I Am Cassettes
    Ill Ni
    edited July 2011
    Hey, if it sells, there will be more of it.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4440282 said:
    20/55

Okay, perhaps not a majority, but for two subgenres alone out of a possible numerous dozens it's a criminally dangerous amount.
    Criminally dangerous to whom? Who's not giving anything else a chance? How is this taking away from anything? Normally I hate the "if you don't like it don't buy it" logic to make all complaints null and void, but it works here. There's not really a finite amount of content that can be added. The only limit is your imagination.
    edited July 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4440325 said:
    Criminally dangerous to whom? Who's not giving anything else a chance? How is this taking away from anything? Normally I hate the "if you don't like it don't buy it" logic to make all complaints null and void, but it works here. There's not really a finite amount of content that can be added. The only limit is your imagination.

That's the problem, I have become desperate to buy something. The last RBN track I bought was "30 Lives" all the way from last month and I didn't even enjoy it that much. My interests in Rock Band are steadily fading away. And in addition, where are all the keys support? Amberian Dawn are the only regular artists that even appear to be utilizing these features.

Where is the Indie Rock? Dream Pop? Shoegaze? Post-Rock? Industrial Rock? Math Rock?

Where is the Doom Metal? Black Metal? Heavy Metal? Industrial Metal? Power Metal other than Amberian Dawn? Gothic Metal?

Where is the Gothic Rock? Deathrock? Synthpop?

Blues? Jazz?

No, we get popular punk songs, worn out meme novelty and freaking 8-bit video game music!

I can tell you for sure RBN was not like this on its first months, so something indeed changed. I think some of the playtesters and charters are more interested in staying in their safe spots then letting in other bands from the rain.
    edited July 2011
    Let's avert from the argument over how RBN sucks now and keep on subject, OK? If you don't like the idea, just say you don't like it, and leave it alone. If anything, this has turned from a Post-Hardcore request thread to a "RBN has too much Post-Hardcore/Novelty/8-bit songs" thread.
    edited July 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4440357 said:
    Let's avert from the argument over how RBN sucks now and keep on subject, OK? If you don't like the idea, just say you don't like it, and leave it alone. If anything, this has turned from a Post-Hardcore request thread to a "RBN has too much Post-Hardcore/Novelty/8-bit songs" thread.

You're the ones who fueled this argument.
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4440366 said:
    You're the ones who fueled this argument.

And now I want to end it. I've seen the errors of my ways, and now just want to leave it behind in the past. Even if the past is an hour ago.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I would just like some of these bands to make it or more of it to the main DLC due to the Wii's lack of RBN anymore... :( I really wanted more Chiodos, Blessthefall, Dr. Acula, more A Day To Remember, Where The Ocean Meets The Sky, and other bands/artists from other genres
    edited July 2011
    RBN testers have no control over who puts music up for testing

It's also a good point about the Wii!
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    the only post-hardcore bands named in this thread was Rival Schools and La Dispute, and even that's stretching it

I'd love to get some post-hardcore we already have a post-hardcore song (yes. one.) by At The Drive In

personally I'd love bands like Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Ink & Dagger, End of a Year, Embrace, Mineral, Touche Amore... but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

we're just going to be continually fed crap like this cause the kids buy it.

oh and for the record the only good band in the OP was Drive Like Jehu
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    alot of those bands aren't post-hardcore. most of them are metalcore,and ADTR is Pop Mosh.
    edited July 2011
    Looking at the list of artists again, I have to agree that most of these are no Post-Hardcore. I meant my bro wants these bands, but these ain't post-harcore, so... IDK whatever.
  • HeavyMetalKingHeavyMetalKing Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4440282 said:
    The following in bolded white are/can be called post-hardcore/metalcore:

Closure In Moscow

???

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to Closure in Moscow as post-hardcore or metalcore. Every music site I've ever visited has listed them as progressive or alternative rock, with a few also attaching the emo label.
    edited July 2011
    exploder;4440792 said:
    metalcore,and ADTR is Pop Mosh.

no and no, they are all pop bands (minus DLJ and La Dispute)

and I've always thought Closure in Moscow was post-rock
  • edited July 2011
    I'd love some early Hot Snakes.
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4440950 said:
    no and no, they are all pop bands (minus DLJ and La Dispute)

and I've always thought Closure in Moscow was post-rock

The hell with these being pop! Seriously? Emo, screamo or metalcore fit better than pop.

Pop.

Metalcore.
    edited July 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4440965 said:
    The hell with these being pop! Seriously? Emo, screamo or metalcore fit better than pop.

Pop.

Metalcore.

Metalcore

pop

emo

Screamo

you see, there is the real genres that have sounds of their own, then there is the watered down sold to the masses version or the pop version

I spent way too much time doing that, but you get my point
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4441009 said:
    Metalcore

pop

emo

Screamo

you see, there is the real genres that have sounds of their own, then there is the watered down sold to the masses version or the pop version

I spent way too much time doing that, but you get my point

Just because bands aren't part of a generation of bands that you consider good does not make it "post-hardcore", is that what I'm getting from you?

Maybe they're pop punk at best, but no, they're not straight up pop bands. Genres evolve, they even fit themselves to be more accessible. It's quite amazing that the community still doesn't get this.
    edited July 2011
    Hey I finally agree with FlyGuy on something.

Genre purists are ridiculous.
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4441016 said:
    Just because bands aren't part of a generation of bands that you consider good does not make it "post-hardcore", is that what I'm getting from you?

no, you see there is still a generation of bands today, that are making actual post-hardcore, they stay true to the sound of the genre and play with it making it their own

my argument is that the every genre is founded on a basic principles and sounds, now if an artist chooses to follow said sounds and style then okay, that can be classified as that genre

now lets take this genre, you have the bands that are anti-establishment, DIY, and far from mass produced that started the sound, a dissonant sound with somewhat progressive styling, hell even Refused got this right and they were all over TV, but they did it the right way. Now we have bands in the OP (with a few exceptions) who all sound, look, and market the same way, cut copy mass produced to 16 year old girls who think "screaming" is "edgy" or something along those lines.

just because the music isn't mass produced and marketed too the mainstream market doesn't mean that it isn't pop or a style of pop (cause these bands have even less to do with punk) I don't care if anybody likes it or not, I just don't appreciate my favorite bands and artists getting stuck with the same hot topic bands, not to mention we get threads like this and HMX feels that we actually are getting post-hardcore.

I would never discredit a bands genre and leave the genre for only a select few bands that I like, I'm basing all of this in history, and objective sounds that can't be misheard
    edited July 2011
    A "punk" band doesn't define itself solely on anti-corporation and the content of mouth. By your definition, The Casualties aren't punk, and as much as I hate them, they most certainly are and here's why: A band of a genre is based around the entire instrumentation too, which for punk rock is around stripped riffwork and frequent power-chord usage, which both sides share a lot of the time.

Nobody is saying that Pierce the Veil are just as punk as Fugazi, the point is that Pierce the Veil qualify for the terms of the genre. And if there not, where else would they be lumped into, pop-rock? Don't think that's going to work.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4441070 said:
    A "punk" band doesn't define itself solely on anti-corporation and the content of mouth.
    Agreed - if that were the case, then I'd have issues with 100% of punk rock, as opposed to, say, 90-95% of it. :D

(Note that I'm being somewhat glib, seeing as I do enjoy post-punk and progressive post-hardcore, but still...)
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4441016 said:

I think the use of "generation" is wrong, because there's still plenty of bands making music that sounds like or pretty close to the start of said genres.

I think the other point he was trying to make is that what people are calling screamo and emo aren't actually screamo and emo. Like, they have almost nothing to do with them.