More Punk, Less Metal

LesFleursLesFleurs Opening Act
edited July 2011 in The Rock Band Network
There's 345 metal songs, and 8 nu metal songs.

There's 73 punk songs. 69 of those are from the year 2008-present.

4 punk songs that are older than a toddler. Come on, who's in charge here?

Comments

• ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    Without saying too much, we're working on some awesome thrash punk that I hope to announce soon. It's gonna be awesome.

Though as mentioned earlier, we work with what we're able to get. If we contact 50 punk bands and 40 metal bands, and get half that punk and all that metal, then we're naturally going to put out more metal than punk because it's what we got.
    LesFleurs;4446085 said:
    Come on, who's in charge here?
    The bands and labels. For a band to be on RBN, they or their management have to want it. Email the bands you want to see and get them interested. If they're not interested, then we can't get them in the game!
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    I've emailed many punk rocks bands, and what happens every time is they either never respond or they tell me to "**** off." That might have something to do with it.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    LesFleurs;4446085 said:
    There's 345 metal songs, and 8 nu metal songs.

There's 73 punk songs. 69 of those are from the year 2008-present.

4 punk songs that are older than a toddler. Come on, who's in charge here?
    Who's in charge? The mighty dollar is number one and the music labels are number two. Metal sells and metal bands participate in the RBN. That is all the answer that you need.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited July 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4446123 said:
    You mean, 'Less Metalcore & more Thrash Metal'.
    Pretty much, though I wouldn't even mind of some normal death metal.
    AskariNari;4446176 said:
    or they tell me to "**** off."
    If that's their chosen etiquette, I wouldn't want them in the game at all then.
    NoThru22;4446210 said:
    Who's in charge? The mighty dollar is number one and the music labels are number two. Metal sells and metal bands participate in the RBN. That is all the answer that you need.
    You'd be surprised how many bands are much willing to put music and fandom over the dollar bill.

And people, it's metalcore. There's hardly even any metal variety.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    The real problem is, the major record labels (Sony, WMG, UMG, etc.) all are opposed to the Network. Metal has always been considered a niche genre, no matter it's size, so very often, metal bands are signed to smaller labels or are independent, making them prime canidates for the RBN
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4446221 said:
    Pretty much, though I wouldn't even mind of some normal death metal.
    I'd kill for some normal Death Metal, like Atheist, Death and Morbid Angel.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4446281 said:
    I'd kill for some normal Death Metal, like Atheist, Death and Morbid Angel.

We're getting Morbid Angel and Atheist soon, though it's new tracks.
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4446221 said:
    You'd be surprised how many bands are much willing to put music and fandom over the dollar bill.
    What's your point here? I don't see many of these punk groups putting their music on the RBN themselves and the authoring groups aren't going after them as much as metal groups (though, like I said, it's common consensus that the metal groups and labels are just more willing to work with RBN authors in the first place.)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2011
    NoThru22;4446292 said:
    What's your point here? I don't see many of these punk groups putting their music on the RBN themselves and the authoring groups aren't going after them as much as metal groups (though, like I said, it's common consensus that the metal groups and labels are just more willing to work with RBN authors in the first place.)

There's actually a thread similar to this at the creator's site right now, and their replies are that they are trying, but bands in other genres (not just punk) just don't want to.
  • don99913don99913 Unsigned
    edited July 2011
    joescorpion;4446136 said:
    I agree with LesFleurs... The RbN and even the regular rock band store is lacking in Punk DLC...
    Vice Records would be a good label to contact (****ed Up, Off!)

SST (has a best bands but doesnt seem to like replying) (Black Flag, Descendents, Bad Brains, Husker DU, Minutemen, Saint Vitus, Meat Puppets)

Dine Alone Records (Alexisonfire, ****er, Black Lungs, Dinosaur Bones, City And Colour, Moneed)

But I would kill for Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Off, Bad BRains and the Desendents

Also we shouldnt be attacking metal we should be attack that attack of metalcore and power metal (cough amberian dawn)

Amberian Dawn is Symphonic Metal. I wouldnt advise attacking them because lead singer could be a witch and you might end up in a dark place with insects and snakes crawling around your immobile body.
    edited July 2011
    don99913;4446408 said:
    Amberian Dawn is Symphonic Metal.

Power metal and symphonic metal are often interchangeable just so you know.

In this case, Amberian Dawn are symphonic power metal.

But yes, we shouldn't attack the entire metal genre, solely for the fact we don't have a single doom metal track in RBN, and like 3 or 4 black metal tracks.
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4446437 said:
    Power metal and symphonic metal are often interchangeable just so you know.

In this case, Amberian Dawn are symphonic power metal.

But yes, we shouldn't attack the entire metal genre, solely for the fact we don't have a single doom metal track in RBN, and like 3 or 4 black metal tracks.

What about the fact there is no Paradise Lost.; I think the song "Christendom" was a forerunner to a lot of songs. I found one Dimmu Borgir is that black or doom?
    edited July 2011
    don99913;4446450 said:
    I found one Dimmu Borgir is that black or doom?

100% Symphonic Black
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2011
    No one to blame for what is/isn't on RBN but the bands and/or labels...
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    NoThru22;4446292 said:
    the authoring groups aren't going after them as much as metal groups

That is completely false, the number of bands and genres authoring groups contact is staggering. I know TAG has literally attempted to contact 100s if not a thousand bands. If the bands don't respond they can't do anything, there's nothing to pursue.
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4446283 said:
    We're getting Morbid Angel and Atheist soon, though it's new tracks.
    I guess it's better than nothing...
    edited July 2011
    Catch-22;4446488 said:
    That is completely false, the number of bands and genres authoring groups contact is staggering. I know TAG has literally attempted to contact 100s if not a thousand bands. If the bands don't respond they can't do anything, there's nothing to pursue.

Why wouldnt bands want to respond? It seems like a good way to make money considering people cant get these for free like with file sharing.
    edited July 2011
    don99913;4446600 said:
    Why wouldnt bands want to respond? It seems like a good way to make money considering people cant get these for free like with file sharing.

A million reasons.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    joescorpion;4446136 said:
    I agree with LesFleurs... The RbN and even the regular rock band store is lacking in Punk DLC...
    Vice Records would be a good label to contact (****ed Up, Off!)

SST (has a best bands but doesnt seem to like replying) (Black Flag, Descendents, Bad Brains, Husker DU, Minutemen, Saint Vitus, Meat Puppets)

Dine Alone Records (Alexisonfire, ****er, Black Lungs, Dinosaur Bones, City And Colour, Moneed)

But I would kill for Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Off, Bad BRains and the Desendents

Also we shouldnt be attacking metal we should be attack that attack of metalcore and power metal (cough amberian dawn)

if the icons on SST or Dischord are released on RBN then there is a large problem, these legends deserve at least a official release.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited July 2011
    AskariNari;4446176 said:
    I've emailed many punk rocks bands, and what happens every time is they either never respond or they tell me to "**** off."

What a bunch of punks
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4446653 said:
    if the icons on SST or Dischord are released on RBN then there is a large problem, these legends deserve at least a official release.

It's this sort of thinking that makes bands not show up at all...

If RBN is good enough for megaselling bands like Creed, Evanescence, Seether, and Drowning Pool it's good enough for those bands.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2011
    kingtonyx;4446896 said:
    It's this sort of thinking that makes bands not show up at all...

If RBN is good enough for megaselling bands like Creed, Evanescence, Seether, and Drowning Pool it's good enough for those bands.

Not to mention cult icons like Converge, of Montreal, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and The Apples in Stereo.
    edited July 2011
    Catch-22;4446488 said:
    It's not completely false. Don't tell me my statement is completely false. It's a proven fact. I acknowledge that most if not all of the authoring companies are trying to diversify their catalogs, but the ongoing dialogue is happening with metal groups and labels. This also happens to be the type of music that sells the most to the niche players.
    LiveHomeVideo;4446295 said:
    There's actually a thread similar to this at the creator's site right now, and their replies are that they are trying, but bands in other genres (not just punk) just don't want to.
    Yes, I referenced that in my post that you quoted.
    edited July 2011
    don99913;4446600 said:

This happens a LOT more than you think. Less than five percent of all the artists I try to contact respond to the first email, and then most of the ones who do respond to that email either end up declining or they stop responding.

Now, I have had some very good luck getting diverse artists interested (I can't say much, but a folk/rap group I've emailed is looking into releasing some of their music from the early 90's). People really are contacting a lot of different groups, but that doesn't mean that deals will always work out.
  • joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Maybe punk artists view the Rock Band Network as a way of selling out... which is sort of against the punk philosophy. They should definitely be involved just because they could get more attention from people who don't typically listen to punk and some artists like Black Flag and The Descendents will sell like wildfire. Like you can always tell them that the RBN is like the underground of Rock Band where they are not selling out.
    edited July 2011
    joescorpion;4447013 said:
    Maybe punk artists view the Rock Band Network as a way of selling out... which is sort of against the punk philosophy.

This is probably the problem. Whenever they ask me what Rock band is and I mention Guitar Hero they lose interest. This is also true for other genres (I was in talks with Jerry Martin, the guy who recorded the piano tracks used in The Sims 1, and he was interested until I mentioned Guitar Hero).
    edited July 2011
    NoThru22;4446973 said:
    It's not completely false. Don't tell me my statement is completely false. It's a proven fact. I acknowledge that most if not all of the authoring companies are trying to diversify their catalogs, but the ongoing dialogue is happening with metal groups and labels. This also happens to be the type of music that sells the most to the niche players.

It is completely false, while dialogue may be happening more with metal groups it has nothing to do with authoring groups focusing on them or pursuing them more intently. THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES TO REPLY TO INQUIRIES. What do you suggest authoring groups do, ignore replies from metal bands to focus on no replies? Most companies pursue non metal acts to a far greater extent when they express interest but most don't so the process stops.
    edited July 2011
    Catch-22;4447052 said:
    It is completely false, while dialogue may be happening more with metal groups it has nothing to do with authoring groups focusing on them or pursuing them more intently. THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES TO REPLY TO INQUIRIES. What do you suggest authoring groups do, ignore replies from metal bands to focus on no replies? Most companies pursue non metal acts to a far greater extent when they express interest but most don't so the process stops.
    So you're trying to tell me that despite the fact that most authors (including you) agree that metal groups are easier to approach and more responsive to advances, and that the majority of music that is being released is metal, that the majority of groups being approached by all authors is not metal? Your statements are completely false.
    edited July 2011
    NoThru22;4447059 said:
    So you're trying to tell me that despite the fact that most authors (including you) agree that metal groups are easier to approach and more responsive to advances, and that the majority of music that is being released is metal, that the majority of groups being approached by all authors is not metal? Your statements are completely false.

That's exactly what I'm telling you. Authors approach way more non metal acts then metal ones.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    AskariNari;4447032 said:
    This is probably the problem. Whenever they ask me what Rock band is and I mention Guitar Hero they lose interest. This is also true for other genres (I was in talks with Jerry Martin, the guy who recorded the piano tracks used in The Sims 1, and he was interested until I mentioned Guitar Hero).

Hmmm.... sounds like you should no longer mention GH. I'm sure it's possible to interest them without saying "Well, it's a lot like GH...".