Your Favorite Producers?

RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
edited August 2011 in History of Rock
This thread is about exactly what the title says.

For me, it's:

George "Shadow" Morton (The Shangri-Las, Vanilla Fudge, New York Dolls, Mott the Hoople)
Ray Manzarek (Echo and the Bunnymen, X)
Flood (Depeche Mode, Erasure, Nine Inch Nails, Nick Cave, Pop Will Eat Itself, Nitzer Ebb, Curve, Smashing Pumpkins...)
Al Kooper (The Tubes, Skynyrd)
Bob Ezrin (Everyone - like, I'm not kidding, look up his resume on wikipedia)
Ric Ocasek (Suicide, No Doubt, Weezer, Bad Brains)
Daniel Miller (Depeche Mode, Silicon Teens, many Mute Records acts)
Eric Radcliffe (Depeche Mode, Yaz, Fad Gadget)
Brian Eno (Also everyone)
Sam Phillips (Elvis)
Martin Hannett (Joy Division, Durutti Column)
Tony Visconti (David Bowie)

And, if self-producers can be counted, Bauhaus and Trent Reznor.

Comments

• exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Dr. Dre(too many to list)
    Bass Brothers(too many to list)
    Ross Robinson(Korn,Deftones,Limp Bizkit,Slipknot,Glassjaw)
    Trent Reznor(self-producer)
    all I can think of
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Alan Parsons (Pilot, Al Stewart, Cockney Rebel, the Alan Parsons Project, engineering work on albums by Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd)

Jeff Lynne (the Electric Light Orchestra, Traveling Wilburys, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison)

Phil Collins (Genesis, songs by Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Frida, Philip Bailey)

Bruce Fairbairn (Aerosmith, Loverboy, Poison)

R. J. "Mutt" Lange (Bryan Adams, Foreigner, AC/DC, the Cars, Def Leppard)

Glyn Johns (the Rolling Stones, the Who, Eagles, Eric Clapton, the Steve Miller Band)

Jim Steinman (Meat Loaf, songs by Air Supply and Bonnie Tyler)
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Martin Birch is up there for me.

Iron Maiden, Heaven & Hell-era Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Blue Oyster Cult, older Fleetwood Mac. Some truly great stuff there.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    I'd add:

Tom Lord-Alge (Barenaked Ladies, OMD, Supertramp, Weezer, Chaka Khan, Peter Gabriel)

David Bottrill (Muse, Tool, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Coheed & Cambria)
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Kurt Ballou and Sanford Parker.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Kurt Ballou and the RZA, that's all I can think of right now, but pretty much anything either of these guys touch in their respective genres is gold

Albini too, but I don't agree with a lot of his "views" on things
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    J Dilla

I'll think of more later.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    Ctrl+F "Steve Albini"

No Results.

wat.
    edited July 2011
    Gowienczyk;4447456 said:
    Ctrl+F "Steve Albini"

No Results.

wat.

two posts above son.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
  • DackAttacDackAttac Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I'm gonna focus on recent producers, since I didn't really start reading liner notes until college.

Brett Gurewitz (Rancid's last album sounded great. Not too glossy, robust and crisp enough. Plus he's smart enough to stay out of his own band's affairs, although I will point out that Joe Barresi is not on this list for a reason.)
    Tony Hoffer (Beck, Belle & Sebastian, Fratellis, Tally Hall... really good at bringing out a band's character and eccentricities without wielding the casual listener out.)
    Linus of Hollywood (Palmdale, Bowling for Soup, others - Really super-glossy, but he operates in the world of powerpop, so it makes sense. It never makes me feel nauseous like some pop production can.)

I did an analysis on Ric Ocasek for a music production class in college, but the conclusion I came to is he can be wildly inconsistent. He did both Blue and Green albums for Weezer, to give you an idea of what a box of chocolates the guy is.

There are some producers I respect because they make a glossy, dense record really well (Butch Walker, Butch Vig, Rob Cavallo, Brendan O'Brie—no, Brendan gets a pass for the Springsteen records he worked on) but my ideal record doesn't sound that claustrophobic.

Also, Walker gets credit because he's been pigeonholed into a pop/rock hitmaker but his own solo material displays some creatively interesting production, including an experiment in Phil Spectorism on last year's I Liked It Better When You Had No Heart. I wouldn't hire him, though, since I kinda doubt his clients get to tap into that vein of his. It'd be like my boss asking me to write a memo in the style I write thank-you notes to my grandmother in.

Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne has produced some great stuff for other artists, but I think he's made frequently bad calls for his own band in recent years.

I also loved the Hold Steady's last record sound-wise, and was shocked to find out it wasn't a big name, or even an indie champion; it was a small-potatoes guy who produced their second record. In fact, with the DIY thing gaining ground, I think we'll find some of the best and most interesting modern production comes from unlikely and obscure sources.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Bob Johnston (Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Willie Nelson, and Simon & Garfunkel)
    David Bowie (Himself, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop)
    J Dilla (too much hip hop to list)
    Nujabes (solo instrumentals + other hip hop artists)
    Dave Fridmann (MGMT, Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tame Impala, etc)
    Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)
    George Martin (Beatles)
    Phil Spector (Wall of Sound)
    Berry Gordy (Motown Sound)
    Jim Stewart (Stax Soul)
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    the dudes I mentioned earlier,plus:

Eminem did great self-production on The Eminem Show
    RZA
    Just Blaze
    plus Rick Rubin produced some good SOAD albums
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Some really good ones in this thread, especially Berry Gordy, Jim Stewart, and Butch Walker. Walker's taste is so schizophrenic you'd think he wouldn't be able to pull off some of the production jobs he does with such skill.

Also, shoot me if my memory is failing now (or don't), but has anyone mentioned Prince yet? Dude's a genius behind the console.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited July 2011
    This thread was nicely timed. Every year I put together a musical puzzle for my mother on her birthday. This year I decided on musicians in front of and behind the microphone. The challenge will be to name the lead singer of each tune on the first half of the CD, then link him to a song he produced, but didn't sing, on the second half. I'm hoping for at least eight pairs of songs, and this thread has helped me reach that minimum.

Here's what I have so far:
    • Alan Parsons - sang lead on one song off of his own A Valid Path; produced a lot of '70s pop artists
    • David Gilmour - co-lead singer of Pink Floyd; done some production over the years, particularly for Syd Barrett and Dream Academy
    • Phil Collins - solo artist and lead singer of Genesis; produced several '80s hits for other artists
    • Ric Ocasek - lead singer of the Cars; produced some successful '90s and '00s albums
    • Matthew Wilder - one hit wonder with "Break My Stride"; produced No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom among other albums
    • Jeff Lynne - lead singer of the Electric Light Orchestra; produced albums by Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and the Traveling Wilburys
    • Todd Rundgren - solo artist; produced Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell, among others
    • David Bowie - solo artist; produced albums by Lou Reed and Iggy Pop, among others
    • Joe Walsh - solo artist and member of the Eagles; produced albums by Ringo Starr and Dan Fogelberg
    It's probably obvious Mom is a classic rock fan (so am I), though I am trying to throw a couple of more recent tunes. I probably won't use Alan Parsons since he's made an appearance in several of these puzzles already. That leaves eight that I have, which is good enough, but does anybody have any others I might could use? The first song should be at least a fairly recognizable classic rock tune, though the second song can be from any time.
  • trent0090trent0090 Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    Anyone but "Bob rock" that man killed Mettalica.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited August 2011
    Glad someone mentioned both Brett Gurewitz (instrumental to 90s punk rock and beyond) and Rick Rubin (legendary everything, especially Chili Peppers).

Side note, I thought this thread was going to be about movie producers, so I got all stoked about mentioning the Coen Brothers.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    BohemianMatt;4477931 said:
    Glad someone mentioned both Brett Gurewitz (instrumental to 90s punk rock and beyond) and Rick Rubin (legendary everything, especially Chili Peppers).
    Rubin is the man with the reverse Midas Touch. He's probably in my bottom three producers of all time - I'd risk producing an album with a blind homeless crack addict first. At least then the odds are good the sound won't be quite as muddled, and definitely nowhere near as compressed.
    edited August 2011
    Kanye is probably one of the best hip hop producers of the past decade
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2011
    I'm pretty much comfortable saying it's a toss up between Dave Ogilvie and Paeth & Miro.