The Adventures of Raindance Maggie (RHCP is back!)

RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
edited July 2011 in History of Rock
In case you haven't heard, this Monday, July 18th, Red Hot Chili Peppers are releasing their first new song in over five years, "The Adventures of Raindance Maggie." I for one, am incredibly excited, in case you could'nt already tell. :p
Everything I've heard about the album has sounded encouraging, and I'm expecting great things from RHCP and can't wait to hear how Josh Klinghoffer will effect the band's sound.

What's everyone else feeling leading up to the release?

Comments

• WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited July 2011
    Yes! I'm a huge Chili Pepper fan and can't wait. Also because I'll probably listen to anything called "The Adventures of Raindance Maggie" at least once.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    one of my least favorite bands is making a comeback.

between this and the new blink-182 single it's going to be miserable to hang out with people
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Just reading the Wikipedia page on their new album got me stoked for the new album. It seems like there is a mutual consensus among the band members that although the album will have a new sound, it will still definitely be Chili Peppers.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Gowienczyk;4447187 said:
    I really don't feel anything, honestly. I haven't listened to an album by RHCP in over two years on purpose and I didn't think their last record was too hot. I have no animosity towards the band or anything, it's just apathy or indifference.

Then again, their last album was produced by Rick Rubin, who has been on a pretty solid Reverse Midas Touch run of late.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    The last time "Chilli Willi" recorded anything that didn't sound like "Scar Tissues" was back when Dave Navarro was in the band. Now if they somehow dug up Hillel Slovak's corpse and reanimated him into a guitar playing zombie, that might be something work hearing and seeing.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4447272 said:
    The last time "Chilli Willi" recorded anything that didn't sound like "Scar Tissues" was back when Dave Navarro was in the band. Now if they somehow dug up Hillel Slovak's corpse and reanimated him into a guitar playing zombie, that might be something work hearing and seeing.

*sagenod*

And I really, really, really hope the radio stations around here don't play this single ad nauseum like they did when Dani California came out. RHCP may be one of the biggest bands in the world, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to hear them once every forty five minutes on the radio.
    edited July 2011
    Get Omar Rodriguez-Lopez in the studio to serve as taskmaster, he's gotten some decent work out of Frusciante. :)
    Runesmith;4447402 said:
    *sagenod*

And I really, really, really hope the radio stations around here don't play this single ad nauseum like they did when Dani California came out. RHCP may be one of the biggest bands in the world, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to hear them once every forty five minutes on the radio.

Then don't listen to the radio. Problem solved. :D
    edited July 2011
    Jglaubman;4448790 said:
    I listened, but not sure what it is, but I just can't get into it. I'm gonna have to wait until the album is released to make an honest opinion, but in truth my favorite Chili Peppers songs are the ones that didn't get released as singles. Death of a Martian, Wet Sand, Torture Me, Venice Queen, Purple Stain, Throw Away Your Television, Funky Monks, and about an arms length list of others.

Anyway, thanks for the link Jglaubman!
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited July 2011

This.
    edited July 2011
    killer_roach;4447428 said:
    Then don't listen to the radio. Problem solved. :D

Great in theory, but this also means I have to avoid going to bowling alleys, burger joints, and pretty much any public place with Top 40 radio for the next year or so to avoid the song. :D
  • RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    I've never really been big on leaks.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited July 2011
    RHCPfan96;4448879 said:
    I've never really been big on leaks.

It's KROQ, I wouldn't call it a leak.
    edited July 2011
    Heard it on Sirius' AltNation this morning, too, so I don't think it's a leak either.
    edited July 2011
    Runesmith;4448850 said:
    Great in theory, but this also means I have to avoid going to bowling alleys, burger joints, and pretty much any public place with Top 40 radio for the next year or so to avoid the song. :D

Hmm... around here most of the bowling alleys play classic rock stations (unless it's one of those "youth night" events), and the burger places tend to have some satellite radio system that appears pretty heavy on the 80s music in the rotation. Heck, I managed to avoid hearing any of Lady Gaga's most recent singles until I bought the album (which is probably more than I should be admitting, but meh).
    edited July 2011
    This song has a similar sound to those on "Stadium Arcadium." I can definitely see why many people greatly prefer the older Chili Peppers' style.

If you didn't like their last few albums, you're probably not going to like this one. I'm stoked for it still.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure what was worse, the song or the comments section.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    this song isn't changing my mind or opinion on the band.
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4449169 said:
    this song isn't changing my mind or opinion on the band.

When I first saw Franklin from Arrested Development in your avatar, I felt a strong connection in interests, but somehow you seem to always bash things that interest me. But still an Arrested Development fan can't be all bad.
  • gosox333gosox333 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I don't really think it's anything special, and that's coming from a pretty huge chilli peppers fan. As far as their leadoff singles go, I like it better than Dani California, but the rest are way better. It's not bad, but it isn't great.

And I swear to god I can still hear John singing backup vocals :(
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    Jglaubman;4448790 said:

From this sample, I feel the sound is more or less more of the same which is disheartening as how much their output lately has disinterested me. Perhaps it's the fact I'm not drawn to their melodies or rhythms anymore, but I'd like to think they can do interesting things instead of rewashing the same thing album after album. I liked the Peppers originally as a child, but I still liked them into adulthood because of the multitude of soundscapes they tried to do over the years. But it seems to me since Californiacation it's not going anywhere and they won't truly change or adapt to a new soundscape.

RHCP just seems tired and lifeless; just carrying on for the sake of it.
  • gosox333gosox333 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Maybe they should've brought in a guitarist that was radically different from what they're used to, like Navarro, and have another One Hot Minute. It wasn't nearly as famous as the rest of their stuff from that era, but it was pretty damn interesting.

I guess you can't really call Josh a carbon copy of John here, but it's definitely still the same old same old. But who knows, there's still the rest of the album to go.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    I'll definitely try to take it as it comes and not dismiss it because of one single, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • _mg3b__mg3b_ Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    What irritating percussion. And the lyrics, wow. Or and here's the chorus sounding like Take That. These guys are way past their sell-by-date, huh.

Is it also worth noting that Chad Smith looks increasingly like Will Ferrell every time I see a photo of him?
    edited July 2011
    gosox333;4450249 said:

I guess you can't really call Josh a carbon copy of John here, but it's definitely still the same old same old. But who knows, there's still the rest of the album to go.

While the single definitely has a similar sound to "Stadium Arcadium," if you read the Wikipedia article on the album, or have been following closely (not to suggest you haven't) there should be some pretty big differences in the musical styles, let alone guitar. For example, many of the songs were composed on piano and Flea plays piano on several of the songs.
    edited July 2011
    Apparently the band are describing this tune as a 'signature Peppers with a sprinkling of classic rock flavours.'
    edited July 2011
    _mg3b_;4450303 said:
    Apparently the band are describing this tune as a 'signature Peppers with a sprinkling of classic rock flavours.'

Someone needs to tell the Peppers classic rock isn't a genre of music.
    edited July 2011
    Runesmith;4450372 said:
    Someone needs to tell the Peppers classic rock isn't a genre of music.

Well, I think we know what they meant. Anyone else think that the track sounded like a REALLY underwhelming Raincoats tribute?
    edited July 2011
    _mg3b_;4450378 said:
    Well, I think we know what they meant. Anyone else think that the track sounded like a REALLY underwhelming Raincoats tribute?

Yeah. I'm just being a nitpicky doucher.

I didn't notice the similarities before, but now it's smacking me in the face. Those lyrics, though....they're awful even by RHCP's standards.
    edited July 2011
    At least they're not trying to justify it by claiming it has continuity with their previous work as they did with Dani California, 'no, you should like it, cause it's like Under the Bridge!'