Classical Pro Keys Songs - Only Keys or add Bass?

So I don't really care either way, but I've had some people say that I should add bass as the left-handed piano part to some of the classical songs I am doing. I've begun doing this, but it won't be in Moonlight Sonata/Fur Elise because they're too far through review to add another instrument.

I think the arguments can go both ways:
For: Adds another instrument which can be fun
Against: Not a Pro Instrument, Keys specifically.

The point of these songs is the Pro Keys and teaching people how to play said songs.

Yes means yes to Bass, no means no to Bass. If you vote please describe why in a post.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, no one's going to pick them at a party, and everyone who would be interested in the songs is interested because they want to play it on keyboard. I say don't bother.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    (Left Hand Version)?
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4449194 said:
    Yeah, no one's going to pick them at a party, and everyone who would be interested in the songs is interested because they want to play it on keyboard. I say don't bother.
    This logic is sound, reasonable, and makes perfect sense. I agree with it completely and see no flaws.
    ...who are you want what have you done with GNF?
    TubaDude49;4449199 said:
    (Left Hand Version)?

lulz
  • edited July 2011
    I was actually considering a left hand version.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Yes, I was serious. That way you could have Pro charting for both parts.

Oh, and your poll answers are vauge
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, badly worded poll. You should have written both options out.

But yeah I say charting the left hand to bass adds a lot of value to the purchase, even if it is just novelty value. Your target audience might be "people who seriously want to learn the song on piano," but why not put in a little extra effort to get all the "people who think having classical music in Rock Band is neat" demographic?

Especially if there are two people putting out songs like this, if I'm choosing between a song with one charted instrument and a song with two charted instruments at the same price, I'm going to go with the one with two.

Incidentally, adding bass also makes the difference between "hey, let's play this song" and "hey, watch me play this song."
  • edited July 2011
    Well frankly the person who put out Fur Elise first only seems to be putting out that one song in terms of classical songs. I have 4 more in the pipeline, hopefully two coming out next week, albeit without bass because of their peer review status, but all the rest should have bass. I think I've come to the conclusion that bass doesn't detract anything because you can still just do Pro Keys and it adds an extra instrument for whomever wants to play as well.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    People aren't going to pay for a (Left Hand Version) of songs. That's absurd.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    I don't know. Honestly, putting these classical pieces in Rock Band seems like just a quick cash-in, to me. While the Piano Sonata sounds good, I don't think the person who put Fur Elise in the Network actually played it. It sounds like a computer program playing the piece.

Also, you're not really teaching anyone how to play the song. Classical piano music is played with both hands, whereas you can only include the right hand part. Plus, you may be teaching the notes, but there's much more to classical music than just pushing the right keys. Fur Elise is played mechanically. You're not really teaching anyone how to play this music by including them in Rock Band.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, it'd be nice if somebody either recorded these on a real piano, or at least recorded a hand-played take on a keyboard. And it'd be even nicer if they did it with a full band accompaniment.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    It's an option and gives your songs more value, so why not?
  • edited July 2011
    Well I've been using MIDI to make these songs as well as you probably have noticed, though I recently found a REALLY nice VST that makes it sound very realistic so I'm using that on some of the newer songs.

As for the teaching component, I think it's not a 100% perfect teaching tool, but I think it's better than say, for example, looking up a video of someone on YouTube and looking at their hand movements and then trying to copy that, because that's what I'm doing to make the right-hand charts and that seems like most of the work. There's obviously better methods like actually learning the songs via sheet music/teachers, but I figured this was a quick-ish way to learn the basics or the theme of a song (like the main hook on Fur Elise).
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I vote YES to the left hand on bass! It adds a lot to the song, and takes nothing away...

Also, keep the classical stuff coming! Yes, it isn't 100% perfect as a teaching tool, but these teach the basics of some classic songs