just some recommended albums to hear before you die

exploderexploder Road Warrior
edited August 2011 in History of Rock
I decided to actually do something on these forums.
This list mostly consists of Nu Metal and Rap.You may think that you would dislike some of these albums,but you may grow to like them.

Beastie Boys – License To Ill
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
Deftones – Adrenaline, White Pony, Around The Fur
DMX - It’s Dark And Hell Is Hot, Flesh Of My Flesh,Blood Of My Blood
Dr. Dre – The Chronic, 2001
Eminem – The Slim Shady Lp, The Marshall Mathers Lp, The Eminem Show
Faith No More - The Real Thing, Angel Dust
Godsmack – Godsmack
Korn – Korn, Follow The Leader, Issues, Untouchables
Limp Bizkit – 3 Dollar Bill Y’all$, Chocalate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water, Significant Other
LL Cool J – Mama Said Knock You Out
Mushroomhead – XX
Outkast - ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia
Primus – Sailing The Seas Of Cheese, Pork Soda, Frizzle Fry
Queens Of The Stone Age – Songs For The Deaf
Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine, Evil Empire
Slipknot – Slipknot,Iowa
Snot – Get Some
System Of A Down – System Of A Down, Toxicity, Steal This Album!
Tool - AEnema, Lateralus
Wu Tang Clan – Enter The Wu Tang(36 Chambers), Wu Tang Forever
Xzibit – Restless

so if you're bored and want to branch out your musical tastes,or if you're just interested in Rap,Nu Metal,Alternative Metal,etc. than check these out! I'll add to the list.

Comments

• Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited July 2011
    is this supposed to be a soundtrack to commit suicide to?
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2011
    This seems like some kind of soundtrack to kill yourself to.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    I was already depressed today. This thread did not help. If I were to go kill myself right now this would be what I would go out hearing.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    exploder;4449239 said:

Dr. Dre – The Chronic
    Eminem – The Slim Shady Lp, The Marshall Mathers Lp
    Wu Tang Clan – Enter The Wu Tang(36 Chambers)

are the only albums worth checking out
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    This is why regulars are not showing up and the forum is lessening in activity; I mean yeah, we get it you like nu-metal and entry level hip-hop a lot and that's cool, but really? This kind of thread?
  • PiscasisPiscasis Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    I don't think Nu-Metal is ever going to be a genre I'm interested in. I like rap and hip/hop and love metal, but I've never heard them blended in a way that I enjoy. I do like some Alt-Metal though. But honestly, I only enjoy maybe five or six bands off of that list (Tool, Primus, QOTSA, Dead Kennedys etc). I'm not sure why you chose such a Nu-Metal and early 00s/late 90s rap based list (perhaps it was a joke; I don't know you) but it seems like it would appeal mostly to an angsty teenager from 1998-2002.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4449483 said:
    are the only albums worth checking out

You're being too kind.

Bad list is bad.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited July 2011
    You plug Eminem in half of your posts, and Limp Bizkit in the other half, is this really needed?

I mean, after we all post in here, this thread will die, and it will probably end up like most of the other threads you make, being bumped by you with slight changes to your original post.
    edited July 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4449495 said:
    You're being too kind.

Bad list is bad.

to be fair those albums are really good though
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4449524 said:

The Primus, QotSA, and Deftones records are worth a listen too but....yeah pretty much.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4449524 said:

Well, other than Eminem (who I really dislike), all those other albums are fine, so yeah.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Eh,well,I tried.
    I guess you can close the thread,plus I got told by MrFruitLord,and others,once again.
    BUT,I just want you guys to give some of these albums a chance,at least check out a couple of the songs on them.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Wow guys, way to shatter someones confidence...

And just to let you guys know, that's partly the reason why HoR is always dead. This is not exactly the most welcoming place on these forums. Either you have similar tastes to the HoR regulars, and if you don't, you're pretty much out of the loop here and eventually shunned out. I don't even post anything music related here anymore because the same thing happens everytime and I've learned my lesson and now exploder looks like he's learning his.
    edited July 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4449593 said:

And just to let you guys know, that's partly the reason why HoR is always dead. This is not exactly the most welcoming place on these forums. Either you have similar tastes to the HoR regulars, and if you don't, you're pretty much out of the loop here and eventually shunned out. I don't even post anything music related here anymore because the same thing happens everytime and I've learned my lesson and now exploder looks like he's learning his.

Thanks to you and all of the people that are being nice.
    as for those HoR people you're talking about,these are the ONLY genres they enjoy:

Indie/Alternative
    "Real Metal"
    Prog
    Shoegaze
    New Wave

and if you like more genres than these,you're an unintelligant,immature,stupid,angsty,whiny,homophobic,FPS playing,13 year old kid.
    Yes YOU know who YOU are.Except,Afterstasis, he's cool.
    to you haters
    plus this
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2011
    exploder;4449623 said:
    as for those HoR people you're talking about,these are the ONLY genres they enjoy:

Indie/Alternative
    "Real Metal"
    Prog
    Shoegaze
    New Wave

and if you like more genres than these,you're an unintelligant,immature,stupid,angsty,whiny,homophobic,FPS playing,13 year old kid.
    to you haters
    plus this

Not true. I'm incredibly open about my love for pop, pop-rock, disco, goth, synth-pop, and industrial and I've never once felt unwelcome by the HoR regs.
    edited July 2011
    a21schizoidman;4449477 said:
    Onslaught_fei;4449478 said:
    Hungryfreak;4449479 said:
    This seems like some kind of soundtrack to kill yourself to.
    supernova1324;4449481 said:
    I was already depressed today. This thread did not help. If I were to go kill myself right now this would be what I would go out hearing.

Yeah, very welcoming and great showing of hospitality...
    edited July 2011
    Runesmith;4449715 said:
    Not true. I'm incredibly open about my love for pop, pop-rock, disco, goth, synth-pop, and industrial and I've never once felt unwelcome by the HoR regs.

Sorry,I was just mad
  • _mg3b__mg3b_ Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Pretty underwhelming list, but then again I didn't exactly expect much. List threads tend to be poor, and OP didn't even attempt to give reasons for the albums which is even worse. Context and discussion please, exploder. As it stands, I don't know why I should like these albums (according to you at least, like most people I've heard all these before), nevermind why you do. Plus the random list sort of makes it seem like these are the only albums you own.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    Indie/Alternative
    "Real Metal"
    Prog
    Shoegaze
    New Wave
    Except we have had regulars in the past who have been into hip-hop, electronica and punk and none of them ever was turned away. You have the right to enjoy what you enjoy, but the fact is I don't care that you like stuff I don't. I don't care that you pertain to nu-metal. Otherwise, Mega would be chastised and shot on sight; yet, he is pretty much unbaited and to some extent respected to have his opinion and move on. The difference is Mega discusses and doesn't become loud and irrate when people state their opinion (bluntly, neutrally or whathaveyou).
    Yeah, very welcoming and great showing of hospitality...
    While I do get stressed out by some posts, these still aren't justified and I'm the community-proclaimed snob and "pooper of parties".
    Indeed.
    And just to let you guys know, that's partly the reason why HoR is always dead.
    HOR is dead because some regulars left, not to mention every semi-reg and most other regs only want to stress about activity rather than post discussions themselves. I haven't seen Timmay, Fizzeler, Rocket2Russia, Fez, thedaniel, necker, theclash(x3) and others who used to frequent here daily in sometime. The only ones who turn up are Timmay and Rocket and that's a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

While HOR does have this stigma and some nasty flamebaiting, it's not the only reason it's inactive. I'd prefer this stigma that keeps "normal" people out if it's going to deteriorate into most other music forums that bask in floods of useless list threads, mediocre arguing and pools of ignorance of naivety.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Piscasis;4449491 said:
    but it seems like it would appeal mostly to an angsty teenager from 1998-2002.

That stuff got old in my opinion back when I was an angsty teen in 1998:)
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, a lot of the General regulars left as well, even WAYDRN is dead most of the time. There was a period when WAYDRN would see 50+ pages of posts per day easily, that time is long gone. I guess with the new site layout and RB not keeping people interested enough, a lot of people left. Which I thought would be OK since I thought for sure many of the regulars would keep this place alive, but that turned out not to be the case. It's a slow, painful death right now and only really the diehard regulars are left to see it happen.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    exploder;4449623 said:

Indie/Alternative
    "Real Metal"
    Prog
    Shoegaze
    New Wave

to you haters
    plus this

this post is the summation of why regs do not like the newbies and pine for RB2-era HoR: NO ONE GIVES A FLYING **** ABOUT WHAT ANY OF US SAY, BECAUSE IT IS IMMEDIATELY PIGEONHOLED INTO THIS "IDEA OF SNOBBERY." this, combined with the fact that the forum became a place to post (routinely ****ty) lists sans context (basically a Neanderthal's last.fm, a site I also quit because of its vanity). here's an idea: when joining an online community, instead of trying to fundamentally change the opinions of people who have become quite close over time, take some opportunity to learn and "lurk moar" as every ****ing site on the internet would have you do and decide for yourself if the community will be conductive to your growth or enjoyment, and if it will be, let it make you grow instead of stubbornly flashing around your taste to people who don't care. why not just make a last.fm and post its link everywhere you go on the internet and save some time?
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited July 2011
    I sort of like:

Primus
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Snot
    Tool

From what I've heard, so maybe I'll check those albums by them out. But I think maybe you (the OP) should explain why you like each album to give me reasons to listen to the albums. Since I don't know most of these artists. I wouldn't want to spend time searching all the bands and albums myself unless I thought there was a good reason to and that I might like the music.
  • mason95mason95 Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    exploder;4449239 said:
    I decided to actually do something on these forums.
    This list mostly consists of Nu Metal and Rap.You may think that you would dislike some of these albums,but you may grow to like them.

Deftones – Adrenaline, White Pony, Around The Fur
    DMX - It’s Dark And Hell Is Hot, Flesh Of My Flesh,Blood Of My Blood
    Dr. Dre – The Chronic, 2001
    Eminem – The Slim Shady Lp, The Marshall Mathers Lp, The Eminem Show
    Faith No More - The Real Thing, Angel Dust
    Godsmack – Godsmack
    Korn – Korn, Follow The Leader, Issues, Untouchables
    Limp Bizkit – 3 Dollar Bill Y’all$, Chocalate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water, Significant Other
    LL Cool J – Mama Said Knock You Out
    Mushroomhead – XX
    Outkast - ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia
    Primus – Sailing The Seas Of Cheese, Pork Soda, Frizzle Fry
    Queens Of The Stone Age – Songs For The Deaf
    Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine, Evil Empire
    Slipknot – Slipknot,Iowa
    Snot – Get Some
    System Of A Down – System Of A Down, Toxicity, Steal This Album!
    Tool - AEnema, Lateralus
    Wu Tang Clan – Enter The Wu Tang(36 Chambers), Wu Tang Forever
    Xzibit – Restless

so if you're bored and want to branch out your musical tastes,or if you're just interested in Rap,Nu Metal,Alternative Metal,etc. than check these out! I'll add to the list.

holy **** i havent listend to some of those albums i am missing out so much music ****
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2011

yep, that's why I hardly stop by anymore. I stopped caring what everyone thinks of certain bands I listen to. If I like it, I'll listen to it.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited July 2011

That's right. You learn your lesson, and you learn it good.

"Thank you sir may I have another!"
    Runesmith;4449715 said:

Nah, they snicker behind your back at the lunch table and on the playground. Don't even get me started about the showers.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited July 2011
    Ever since I got an account on an industrial website, I've never needed to bother with the HoR much at all again. Surprisingly, people are actually mature there.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    To actually contribute to the thread, I actually really like some of those albums, like Beastie Boys, Dr. Dre, Dead Kennedy's, and sue me, System of a Down (plus a few others). Also, some of the albums Mega-tallica posted are actually pretty enjoyable, even if it's been awhile for most of them.
    FlyGuyLXI;4464931 said:
    Ever since I got an account on an industrial website, I've never needed to bother with the HoR much at all again. Surprisingly, people are actually mature there.

No other music forum has really kept me for as long as HOR has, for whatever reason.
    edited July 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4464931 said:

this place is like esteemed scholars compared to /mu/

I go to /mu/ to have fun, I come here to discuss music
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited July 2011
    I've only set foot in /mu/ once. Never will I again.