R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
edited July 2011 in History of Rock
For those who haven't heard, Amy Winehouse died today of whta they think is an overdose: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

R.I.P.

Comments

• instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Gowienczyk;4455521 said:
    Is it bad that the tasteless and painful comment made me chuckle?

Nah. Most jokes are made at another persons expense, anyway. I guess it may be a little soon, but eh, there's a reason I enjoy South Park.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Not that surprised. I care about as much as I did about Dunn's death, which is to say, not at all. Weird that she joined the 27 club though.

Also, my bro thought he was hilarious for saying "I guess she ain't going to rehab." I am more partial to "I guess Ryan Dunn goofed."
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2011
    instantdeath999;4455527 said:
    Nah. Most jokes are made at another persons expense, anyway. I guess it may be a little soon, but eh, there's a reason I enjoy South Park.

I like the September 11th jokes I've heard (some of them anyway), so I'm no stranger to controversial or tasteless humor.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    I know it sounds crass, but i can't say I didn't see this coming.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Back to Black was a damn solid album. This sucks, especially considering she still had the potential to make new music.
  • _mg3b__mg3b_ Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Dark humour about it is fine, but the amount of people I've seen making ignorant and ill-informed comments on addiction is horrible. It's sad that she died, was never a huge fan.

I only wish that rather than ignorantly decrying her as a 'junkie' people would stop buying into tabloid journalism and the stupid 'sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll' mentality that makes them imagine drug abuse is cool when it's done in a leather jacket and shades.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2011
    _mg3b_;4455612 said:
    Dark humour about it is fine, but the amount of people I've seen making ignorant and ill-informed comments on addiction is horrible. It's sad that she died, was never a huge fan.

I only wish that rather than ignorantly decrying her as a 'junkie' people would stop buying into tabloid journalism and the stupid 'sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll' mentality that makes them imagine drug abuse is cool when it's done in a leather jacket and shades.

I agree.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    I guess this thread really speaks to her impact on the world, were people are more concerned on making a joke about her death and justifying it.

it's sad, but the terrorist attacks do overshadow it
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Lameboy19;4455626 said:
    I guess this thread really speaks to her impact on the world, were people are more concerned on making a joke about her death and justifying it.

it's sad, but the terrorist attacks do overshadow it

As they should. That was absolutely horrific.
    edited July 2011
    A well known journo in the UK called for a press blackout on photos of the Oslo bomber. Ridiculous. Considering the knee jerk 'it was the Muslims!' reaction that the press had, publishing pictures of the white Nazi responsible for the bombing is all the more important.
    edited July 2011
    _mg3b_;4455644 said:
    A well known journo in the UK called for a press blackout on photos of the Oslo bomber. Ridiculous. Considering the knee jerk 'it was the Muslims!' reaction that the press had, publishing pictures of the white Nazi responsible for the bombing is all the more important.

abuhwat
    edited July 2011
    Gowienczyk;4455647 said:
    abuhwat

'He wanted the publicity so we shouldn't give it to him.' Idiotic journos.
    edited July 2011
    _mg3b_;4455666 said:
    'He wanted the publicity so we shouldn't give it to him.' Idiotic journos.

I guess I understand that logic, but the concept of informing the public should be valued more than not publicizing a lunatic because he wants fame.
    edited July 2011
    Gowienczyk;4455667 said:
    I guess I understand that logic, but the concept of informing the public should be valued more than not publicizing a lunatic because he wants fame.

Yea, I don't think anyone much took him up on it. It rather bothered me though because the amount of people that would assume the bomber was a Muslim if they don't publish a photo of the white guy responsible...
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, it's pretty much inevitable that those who commit really, really terrible crimes will become famous (it's why some do it, even). Fame in itself is really petty, especially fame gained through methods like that. Denying them their spotlight really isn't the most important thing to consider.
  • RHCPfan96RHCPfan96 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Obviously the death of 92 innocent people is more important than the death of one celebrity whose death was somewhat self-inflicted. I just didn't want to bring it up because it didn't have much to do with what is discussed on these forums and I was afraid it would spark either a racial an/or political debate.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited July 2011
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Never was a fan,but it always sucks when people die.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited July 2011
    Whoah.

That sucks - poor girl. Another troubled soul lost.

Lame.
  • HybridTacoHybridTaco Unsigned
    edited July 2011
    A blind man in a sandstorm could've seen this coming. Still sucks though.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited July 2011
    Yes it's sad she died so young, but this could be used as an example as to where untreated problems can lead to. RIP Amy Whinehouse, I'm gonna sing Rehab tonight in remembrance.
    edited July 2011
    It's worse than untreated - it's glamourised. For all the condemnation that the tabloid and music press claims to heap on the likes of Winehouse, Doherty et al there is a certain cheeky wink and nudge in how such things are reported that makes me skin crawl.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited July 2011
    No ****ing fair. I just turned 28 this weekend. How comes shes gets to join Jim Morrison and I don't?! FML.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2011
    I don't like her music, but it's always sad when someone dies, and it's even worse when everyone knows about it.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Onslaught_fei;4455948 said:
    No ****ing fair. I just turned 28 this weekend. How comes shes gets to join Jim Morrison and I don't?! FML.

Please, there's no room in the 27 club for one-hit-wonders. Because let's be honest, when it comes to music, that's all Winehouse was.

Any death is tragic, but that's all I've really got to say.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    seriousbusson;4455970 said:
    Please, there's no room in the 27 club for one-hit-wonders. Because let's be honest, when it comes to music, that's all Winehouse was.

Any death is tragic, but that's all I've really got to say.

Technically Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin were one hit wonders but that doesn't mean ****. R.I.P. Amy, I'm bumping Back to Black on vinyl and getting plastered.
    edited July 2011
    polishdog90;4456174 said:
    Technically Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin were one hit wonders but that doesn't mean ****. R.I.P. Amy, I'm bumping Back to Black on vinyl and getting plastered.

What was Jimi's one hit, then? All his music is popular, at least in my area, so maybe I don't know s***.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4456181 said:
    What was Jimi's one hit, then? All his music is popular, at least in my area, so maybe I don't know s***.

All Along the Watchtower was his only single to break the top 40 in the U.S. Billboard Top 100. Although, it's debatable whether top 100 or top 40 is required for a "hit".
    edited July 2011
    polishdog90;4456185 said:
    All Along the Watchtower was his only single to break the top 40 in the U.S. Billboard Top 100. Although, it's debatable whether top 100 or top 40 is required for a "hit".

Hmm, OK, I'm willing to accept that.
  • DrRock69DrRock69 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    im sure we all saw it coming, too bad tho, she really had the talent , just didnt know when to stop...