Question about "Ship With No Sails"

atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
edited July 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Btw, this song – "Ship With No Sails" by Neonfly – is a FANTASTIC song. One of my favorite to play on Rock Band (along with "Curse of the Werewolf"). Great song. Great playability. It's just great.

ANYWAYS, I have played the song a dozen times on Rock Band and then I got the iTunes version on my iPod and realized that there were quite a few differences. At the beginning it just seemed like it was different recordings of the same song, but then after a while, there were parts that were played by keys on Rock Band that were played on guitar on the iTunes version. Then after even longer, there were just layers that were missing (the kind of Oboe-ish part near the middle-end was gone and just the background noises were there)

So I was wondering if anyone had any information on this, and where I could get a version of the song that is on Rock Band.

Comments

• pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    atalkingfish;4460481 said:
    So I was wondering if anyone had any information on this, and where I could get a version of the song that is on Rock Band.

Rock Band.

Sorry, I had to. It is always interesting hearing different mixes of songs.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    No, I mean for download.
    And it's not even a different mix, it's a totally different record (if you had actually read my post, you would already know that)

I tried looking further into it and found the new version (looks like a 2011 rerecord) on their MySpace page (both of the band and the lead member). Unfortunately, MySpace bit rate is very low and lossiness is very obvious and hard to ignore. I emailed the band about finding a way to get this new version and am awaiting a response.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    I don't use iTunes myself so I can't check this, but is the version you have from the EP "Clever Disguise"? The version in Rock Band is from their upcoming full-length debut album "Outshine the Sun" and has a different lead singer (and obviously, slightly different instrumental parts and a higher quality of recording and production).
    edited July 2011
    Ah! "Upcoming Album" is the key word.
    Yeah I have the one from Clever Disguise.
    I never heard about Outshine the Sun, though. Any release dates? I might just have to go out and buy it, depending on how the other songs sound.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    This reminds me that whatever version of "Stay Awake" by Stretford End that I downloaded from Zune, had plenty of piano, which is completely nonexistant in the Rock Band version. Or I'm just hearing things.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Chicken.

Also, you could always rip the audio off a Youtube video of the song(FC run, sans crowd, all that), as long as they'd give you the version free anyways.
    edited July 2011
    HOLY COW! You guys aren't going to believe this!

I emailed Neonfly with my question (basically I told them that I bought it on iTunes and was asking where I could get the new version) and they alerted me of the new album (which I had already pre-ordered, but they didn't know that) and then sent me an .mp3 of the new version of the song! I thought that was so cool!

I would recommend you guys look up their website (neonfly.net). If you click on "Enter Site", you can hear a preview of the songs off their new album. I highly recommend checking it out because their music is pretty cool (especially if you like "Ship With No Sails").

Anyways, I thought I'd share that awesome story with you guys. Surely something that wouldn't happen with the average band.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    atalkingfish;4460626 said:
    No, I mean for download.
    And it's not even a different mix, it's a totally different record (if you had actually read my post, you would already know that)
    I did actually read your post and, believe it or not, it wasn't difficult to comprehend. I used the word 'mix' instead of 'version' or 'recording'. My bad. Plenty of artists have different versions/recordings of the same song and my point still stands: it is always interesting hearing them. Also, the "Sorry, I had to" should imply that I was being sarcastic and that I knew what you meant.

What's funny is my reply initially just said "Rock Band." I should have kept it at that.

Anyway, it's cool that they sent you the new version of the song. In my experience, I think more bands do that than you might realize. The smart ones understand that doing things like that make fans more loyal.