The riddles thread

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Post your favorite riddles and brainteasters here, and try to solve others'. I'll start with one of my faves.

Imagine you're on the top floor of a two-story house. Before you are three light switches, each of which controls a bulb downstairs. How can you determine which switch controls which bulb, when you're only allowed to make one trip downstairs?

Comments

• BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited July 2011
    atalkingfish;4464954 said:
    Oo-wee-ooh, I look just like Buddy Holly. Who are you?

Is the answer: Mary Tyler Moore?
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited July 2011
    Riddle me this. What has four legs in the morning. Two legs in the afternoon and three legs at night.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited July 2011
    What jumps when it walks and sits when it stands?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    Hogan2000;4464958 said:
    Riddle me this. What has four legs in the morning. Two legs in the afternoon and three legs at night.

Hulk Hogan.

Before you are three crates, one labeled "APPLES" one labeled "ORANGES" and one labeled "APPLES AND ORANGES" All three labels are incorrectly placed. Taking one fruit from one crate, how can you determine which label correctly belongs on which crate?
  • SuperHuman33SuperHuman33 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    A plane crashes on the U.S./Canadian border. Where do you bury the survivors?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    ^ You don't. They're still alive.
    edited July 2011
    SuperHuman33;4464983 said:

You don't bury survivors bruther.

How Many bruthers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
  • edited July 2011
    Hogan2000;4465062 said:
    You don't bury survivors bruther.

How Many bruthers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

two, one to screw in the light bulb and one make it so they have the title of "bruthers"
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4464979 said:
    Before you are three crates, one labeled "APPLES" one labeled "ORANGES" and one labeled "APPLES AND ORANGES" All three labels are incorrectly placed. Taking one fruit from one crate, how can you determine which label correctly belongs on which crate?
    Take one out of 'apples and oranges'. Let's say it's an apple so I don't have to struggle with generic wording. That HAS to be apples, since it's not mixed and we didn't pull an orange. Now take the oranges tag and move it to the other box, and put mixed on the box that said oranges.
    Word tricks don't really work in a medium where 'listening' is done at the reader's pace, and going back over it is possible.
    edited July 2011
    Hulk Hogan.

I got this one bruther.

All three are marked wrong, so pal you pick what's in the mixed bag pal. If it's an apple then you know the crate that says apple is wrong. Now you know the mixed bag is apple. Since you said all the labels are wrong, you just flip the remaining two and that's how you can tell. Is that right?
    edited July 2011
    Hulk Hogan.

In order to take a fruit out of the crate, you have to open the crate. You'll be able to see what is inside each crate and label them properly.
    edited July 2011
    dog037;4465079 said:
    In order to take a fruit out of the crate, you have to open the crate. You'll be able to see what is inside each crate and label them properly.
    You then report to your superiors that someone on the team is awful at labeling things at even the most rudimentary of levels. You don't receive a promotion or bonus, but you still feel good at the end of the day.
    edited July 2011
    What kind of coat can only be put on when wet?
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    dog037;4465089 said:
    What kind of coat can only be put on when wet?
    A coat of paint

That was a fairly easy one.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    What's blue and smells like red paint?
    edited July 2011
    atalkingfish;4465230 said:
    What's blue and smells like red paint?

Blue paint!
  • SpedkillSpedkill Opening Act
    edited July 2011

In a grave.

Alright here's a hard one.
    You want to be to this town (I'm going to call it Seventown) and you enter a small town with a population of 3. Unfortuanly you don't have a map and you're cell phone doesn't have reception. An old man tells you that he doesn't know where the Seventown is but the other 2 guys do. However one of them always tells the truth while the other one always lies. You can also only tell them one question. What question will you tell them that would help you to get to seventown. (Don't think that going the wrong direction will help. It would kill him)
    edited August 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4465071 said:
    Word tricks don't really work in a medium where 'listening' is done at the reader's pace, and going back over it is possible.
    Spedkill;4465575 said:
    In a grave.
    Well. I stand corrected.
    edited August 2011
  • dschex199dschex199 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    dog037;4465699 said:
    Bury them alive.

Yeah, but where?
    ...lol

What multiplies when it divides?
    edited August 2011
    dschex199;4465778 said:
    Yeah, but where?
    ...lol

What multiplies when it divides?

living cells.
  • Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I end Life, but I am never living. What am I?
    edited August 2011
    Ledgo2;4465791 said:

A gun? (or any other weapon for that matter).

This is fun.
    edited August 2011
    BachiG;4465792 said:
    A gun? (or any other weapon for that matter).

This is fun.

Though technically correct, that is not the riddle's answer.
    edited August 2011
    True...guns don't kill people. People kill people. :)
  • edited August 2011
    Ledgo2;4465791 said:

The letter "E"
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4465913 said:
    The letter "E"

Correct.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited August 2011
    Spedkill;4465575 said:
    In a grave.

Alright here's a hard one.
    You want to be to this town (I'm going to call it Seventown) and you enter a small town with a population of 3. Unfortuanly you don't have a map and you're cell phone doesn't have reception. An old man tells you that he doesn't know where the Seventown is but the other 2 guys do. However one of them always tells the truth while the other one always lies. You can also only tell them one question. What question will you tell them that would help you to get to seventown. (Don't think that going the wrong direction will help. It would kill him)

If the only possible answers are something like "go right" or "go left" then I think I know this one... something like: You ask each one what the other would say is the right way to go and then go the opposite way. The one who tells the truth knows that the other would lie, so he would point the wrong way, And the one who lies knows the other would point the right way, but would point the wrong way.

If it wasn't a 2 choice option at the beginning, then I have no idea.
    edited August 2011
    Jglaubman;4466271 said:
    If it wasn't a 2 choice option at the beginning, then I have no idea.
    Actually, if you read it carefully...
    Unfortuanly you don't have a map and you're cell phone
    You're a cell phone. As such, you can't ask anyone questions, which isn't too bad, because you have no real need to go anywhere.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited August 2011
    In that case, I would turn myself on, touch and play with myself until I find some sort of signal. Then I would Sprint to the nearest Verizon store while blasting "Going T-Mobile" by The Who out of my speakers and eating some Blackberries.