Discussion thread for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Comments

• edited November 2011
    FloodOne;4547764 said:
    One step ahead of you, I did that on my first night with the game.

"THAT'S A VALUABLE ANIMAL!!!!"

It's the chicken equivalent of "Oh, this old stone?'

Seriously, though, I really like that the game gives you new dialogue options when you've somehow already completed the quest an NPC charges you with.

As for the Redguard woman, I had my first tough fight (it was tough at level 6 at least) on my hand during that quest that forced me to think up an actual strategy, simply because I decided that when choosing between a pretty lady and a gang of dudes who might both be lying, I'm following my... gut. That fight made me appreciate my so far underused Fury Illusion spell, because I managed to get one half of the enemy group fighting each other before I was openly hostile towards them (they thought I'd negotiate... tee hee), and the rest of the group ran towards them, setting them up for wholesale fireball slaughter. I absolutely love that daily 'recharge magicka like a BOSS' power high elves get, it makes you so much more efficient as a spellcaster.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    I think I might be juggling too many skills for my Nord character. At level 9, I have at least one perk spent on:

One handed weapons (Just normal and Blade perks)
    Block
    Light Armor
    Archery
    Speech
    and Lockpicking

I was also thinking about putting a little effort towards Restoration because the default healing spell is really good. Do you guys think seven skill trees is overdoing it?

EDIT - btw, what does armor rating mean? The first perk for Light Armor was "Increase armor rating for all worn Light Armor by 20(%?)"
  • edited November 2011
    The higher your armor rating, the less damage you receive.

By the way, Folkeye, I found out light armor has a perk that lets you dodge attacks occasionally.

And you can't really 'overdo' skill trees unless you put points in absolutely everything. Six or seven is fine considering how many levels you can gain. The only question you need to ask yourself is whether you want to master one particular skill completely first, or want to gradually get perks on all of them.
    edited November 2011
    Thanks Lex. I figure there's no point in trying to master a single skill first since I need 100 points for the final perk of the tree, (if I even want it,) and reaching the level limit takes a good amount of time that could be spent distributing perks to others skills. I just wanted to make sure six or seven trees is still a sweet spot in terms of progression.

EDIT - Sorry, one more question for now: Is there any kind of bonus for maxing out a skill tree completely? I figure with one handed, I'm just going to get the general and the blade perks, but I don't want to miss out on something sweet for full dedication to the skill.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2011
    Yeah you'll continue to go up in levels (there's no level cap in this game), until you max out every single skill at 100. So if you can figure out how to get each skill up to 100 then you'll reach level 80 give or take.

Now you won't be able to get every skill tree maxed out with perks, but if you can manage to keep getting the other skills to level up after you've maxed out your main ones (example two handed, heavy armor, destruction magic, etc) then you should have plenty of points to max out a lot of skill tree perks.

Just a warning, I've been reading that after level 50 a pure mage using destruction magic will start to get nerfed. As the spells don't increase from there, and the enemies get tougher. So plan accordingly with a secondary weapon skill (one handed for example), or make sure you're other mage trees are powered up as well.
    edited November 2011
    Bulzeeb;4548152 said:
    Thanks Lex. I figure there's no point in trying to master a single skill first since I need 100 points for the final perk of the tree, (if I even want it,) and reaching the level limit takes a good amount of time that could be spent distributing perks to others skills. I just wanted to make sure six or seven trees is still a sweet spot in terms of progression.

EDIT - Sorry, one more question for now: Is there any kind of bonus for maxing out a skill tree completely? I figure with one handed, I'm just going to get the general and the blade perks, but I don't want to miss out on something sweet for full dedication to the skill.

No I don't think there's a bonus other than getting that 100 point perk at the end of the tree.
  • edited November 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4548154 said:

Just a warning, I've been reading that after level 50 a pure mage using destruction magic will start to get nerfed. As the spells don't increase from there, and the enemies get tougher. So plan accordingly with a secondary weapon skill (one handed for example), or make sure you're other mage trees are powered up as well.

Bugger. Oh well, I wanted to branch out into Conjuration anyway, I'm sure those atronachs and dadra lords can still do some damage at higher levels.
    edited November 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4548154 said:
    Yeah you'll continue to go up in levels (there's no level cap in this game), until you max out every single skill at 100. So if you can figure out how to get each skill up to 100 then you'll reach level 80 give or take.
    Wait, do you mean there's no level limit for individual skills or no limit for base levels? I thought the max for base levels was 50 according to the "Master" Trophy requirement.
  • edited November 2011
    No limit on base levels. You just get a trophy for reaching 50.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah what Lex said.

Technically there's no level cap, but with the game using skill level increases to increase base levels of your character, eventually you will max every skill level out at 100 points (they don't go any farther than 100), and you will no longer be able to go up in levels.

So the max level (unless they add in more skill levels via DLC) is around level 80 for your character (give or take a level).
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2011
    I think I've got to play a whopping 4 hours since I got the game... SIGH, need to plan a night around playing. Hard to do with there's 3 other projects looming. 2 personal interest, and 1 involving getting a present ready for my mom in time. SIGH, stupid family.... :p
  • edited November 2011
    Also, funny Skyrim anecdote: was walking towards a quest objective on the plains when I stumbled across a random camp. Noticed 'mammoth cheese' in one of the baskets, which I had never found yet, so I decided to pick it up. Then I suddenly see my lifeless body ragdolling through the sky.

And that, boys and girls, is how I learned that giants do NOT like to share their cheese with strangers.
  • FloodOneFloodOne Headliner
    edited November 2011
    Strange happenings the other day in Skyrim. I was wandering toward the village where you start the 7000 step climb (the name escapes me) and a fugitive approached me along the river. He handed me an enchanted greatsword and told me to hang on to it. I was informed that he would pay me well for holding the weapon, but if I double crossed him, he would kill me. I'm pretty sure I can take him, but now I wonder how much money I'll get if I hold on to the weapon. If it's not enough, I'll just kill him and take the sword back.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    The world seems so alive for a video game. I've read a few pages of a "What's your best story so far?" thread on the Skyrim boards.

One dude was talking about how he ran into a bunch of children in one town and they asked him to play hide and seek. He accepted, but thinking it's a video game, started running after them when he should have been counting. A little girl stopped and said, "Cheater! You have to count!". So he went back, counted to 10, and continued the game. :)

Another anecdote came from a thief player. He was crouched at night, trying to hide in front of a door waiting for people to walk by so he could pick a house lock, when a guard walked by, stopped, and stared his way. He waited, but the guard didn't move, then she said, "I know that armor, it's from the thieves guild. You're not fooling anyone, now get a move on." He waited, the guard stayed watching him, so he had to get up and walk away.

I don't want to read more of that thread, as I'm trying to experience everything first-hand and on my own, but man, some of these stories you guys have are awesome. So far I haven't had anything all that cool happen to me.

@level cap/lack thereof: I heard that after 50, the experience required per level ramps up considerably. So anything post 50 is a grind.
  • edited November 2011
    I am hooked for sure. I am a level 11 and just joined the companions and scored my wolf armor as well as upgading it to superior status. Its some light weight heavy armor compared to steel.

I have several enchantments in the deck as I found its more valuable to destroy an item to learn its enchantment than selling them for the silly low resale prices.

I have focussed on smithing and can upgrade stuff pretty high, just need the skills to upgrade enchanted items.

I need a house to stash stuff I am not needing to carry but wanting to keep.

Anyone got 5K G I can borow? ;)
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2011
    Doc_SoCal;4548417 said:
    I am hooked for sure. I am a level 11 and just joined the companions and scored my wolf armor as well as upgading it to superior status. Its some light weight heavy armor compared to steel.

I have several enchantments in the deck as I found its more valuable to destroy an item to learn its enchantment than selling them for the silly low resale prices.

I have focussed on smithing and can upgrade stuff pretty high, just need the skills to upgrade enchanted items.

I need a house to stash stuff I am not needing to carry but wanting to keep.

Anyone got 5K G I can borow? ;)
    It didn't take you long to break down and get the game, Doc. :p

Alright, I have to figure out how to become a werewolf. I feel the need to start tearing people apart. :p
  • edited November 2011
    Lawdog1521;4548433 said:

Alright, I have to figure out how to become a werewolf. I feel the need to start tearing people apart. :p

Hehehehe, well I went to Best Buy to grab a copy of Portal 2 as a gift and Skyrim just JUMPED into my hands.

:)
    edited November 2011
    Lawdog1521;4548433 said:

Join the companions, and keep doing their quests if you want to reach the werewolf option.
    edited November 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4548449 said:
    Join the companions, and keep doing their quests if you want to reach the werewolf option.

Sweet. Thanks. :)

I guess I'll have to stop murdering people in the dark and start playing the whole "hero" routine. :p
    edited November 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4548449 said:
    Is becoming a werewolf mandatory to continue doing quests for the Companions? Seems like a major "strings attached" scenario since I'd like to stick around the group but not turn into a savage. I guess the old man's woes got to me.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2011
    Sir Bleedin' Eyes is so trustworthy....

I seriously am a Paladin at heart. :p

Eww.... shame on me.
    edited November 2011
    Bulzeeb;4548548 said:
    Is becoming a werewolf mandatory to continue doing quests for the Companions? Seems like a major "strings attached" scenario since I'd like to stick around the group but not turn into a savage. I guess the old man's woes got to me.

Not sure yet. I haven't gotten to the wolf part where I'm at, but I know the companions are werewolves, and I know that you CAN become one in the game.

So I don't know if it's an option or if it just happens at this point.

I also don't know if it's cureable if you don't like it (vampirism is, but not sure about the 'wolf)
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4548594 said:

I also don't know if it's cureable if you don't like it (vampirism is, but not sure about the 'wolf)

According to the Skyrim Wiki: (made black in case you guys didn't want the spoiler)

Cure
    Complete the Companion's Quest line and you can remove it. (Skyrim)

More detail: At the end of the Companions Questline, a Radiant Quest: Purity becomes available for those adventurers who wish to rid themselves of the beast within.
  • TheComedianTheComedian Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    I doubt i can catch the vampiric disease while being a wolf. So i'm probably going to end up getting rid of the beast within so i can experience what it's like to be a vampire in Skyrim.
    edited November 2011
    No you can't. Once you become a wolf it cures and you're immune to all diseases. So if you were a vampire you'd lose it when you became a wolf.

Just be warned if you don't like being a vampire, (and the cure is the same as it was in Oblivion), it is a massive undertaking to get back to normal.
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for the info, Hobbes. Black text response:

So temporarily mandatory. Eh, I can live with that.
  • edited November 2011
    I've just bought my first house (in Whiterun) and joined the College. I also found out that the Moon-something Camp on the plains has a little beehive-shaped house in front that's an excellent mammoth hunting lodge... if only I could convince my trusty housecarl to stay inside of it with me while I fireball the furry critters into Oblivion. ;)
  • TheComedianTheComedian Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    BOOM. Mehrunes Razor. Good loot in the shrine as well. A lot of Smithing Ore.
    edited November 2011
    Okay, the first time I ate human meat it was to advance my alchemy. But now that some Dadric she devil gave me a ring, I can get a health boost by eating the occasional bandit or villager.

Bon app
    edited November 2011