Why Must We Be Divided?

ForgottenEmotionForgottenEmotion Unsigned
edited August 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I'm new to the Rock Band Network and i've delved through the lists of all the songs then come online and see that are some amazing songs that I want, but can't actually have becase I have a PS3 and not a 360. Is my money not as digitalized as theirs or is there some other problem. One band in particular i'm in contact with quite a bit as we talk on almost a day to day basis and he doesn't even know why his song is only on 360 and not PS3. My main question is why are some songs Live and aren't on PSN?

Comments

• KarioChartsJerryKarioChartsJerry Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    If a song is popular, it will be on PS3 in due time.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    ForgottenEmotion;4473784 said:
    I'm new to the Rock Band Network and i've delved through the lists of all the songs then come online and see that are some amazing songs that I want, but can't actually have becase I have a PS3 and not a 360. Is my money not as digitalized as theirs or is there some other problem. One band in particular i'm in contact with quite a bit as we talk on almost a day to day basis and he doesn't even know why his song is only on 360 and not PS3. My main question is why are some songs Live and aren't on PSN?

This is because the songs are released first through a program made by Microsoft (business rival of Sony). When they become popular enough, then the songs can be ported over to PSN.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited August 2011
    As has been explained many times in the forums, the Rock Band Network was made possible by Microsoft's XNA, a framework that allows, among other things, user-generated content to be added to games that support it, independently of the games' publishers. The PS3 and the Wii have no such framework, making it impossible for Harmonix to create anything like the RBN on those systems. The best they can do is submit RBN content themselves, the same way they do with their "official" music store offerings. Harmonix agreed to do so, but they are also limited by Nintendo's and Sony's caps on how much content can be offered by a company each week through their networks. That is why the PS3 can only get five RBN songs a week.

Harmonix also has to make sure porting and submitting RBN tracks doesn't lose the company money, so they are careful about which tracks they agree to handle. This is also why RBN tracks are no longer offered on the Wii: Wii players weren't buying enough for Harmonix to justify the time and effort needed to make them available.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    And to add: RBN tracks barely sold at all on the Wii, so HMX stopped bringing content to that platform. Also, by all measurable statistics, the PS3 accounts for roughly one-third the total number of sales for RBN songs.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2011
    Santa Claustrophobia;4474061 said:
    And to add: RBN tracks barely sold at all on the Wii, so HMX stopped bringing content to that platform. Also, by all measurable statistics, the PS3 accounts for roughly one-third the total number of sales for RBN songs.
    Not to mention it requited significantly more work to convert over than it does for the PS3, as Wii DLC is a different format.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited August 2011
    People have pretty much covered everything I wanted to say. The one thing I would add: if you're looking for specific RBN 2.0 songs that are out already on Xbox for your PS3, there's a request thread at http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222673.
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Also just FYI, I maintain a list of RBN songs available on PS3 here.