RBN DLC Discussion: 8/11/2011 (Xbox), 8/16/2011 (PS3)

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited August 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Xbox RBN Releases for Thursday, August 11

Metal

Fallen Angel - "Ashes to Ashes/Leaving It All Behind" (160 MSP)
Lich King - "Act of War" (80 MSP)

PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 8/16/2011 (Wednesday, 8/17/2011 in Europe)

Buckner & Garcia - "Pac-Man Fever" ($1.99) - Pop-Rock
Buckner & Garcia - "Froggy's Lament" ($1.99) - Pop-Rock
Buckner & Garcia - "Hyperspace" ($1.99) - Pop-Rock
Buckner & Garcia - "Mousetrap" ($1.99) - Pop-Rock
Possible Oscar - "Dead Again" ($1.99) - Rock

Comments

• LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    .. Was all that B&G really needed?

WHY??? Five songs, and only Pac-man fever managed to sell more than 500 units on 360.. Heck, I could say 200 units. Why?? except for Pac-man those songs weren't even requested here on the forums, I could understand if they were huge sellers, but those AREN'T.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Well, that is certainly a random week. PS3 got more songs than 360, and four out of the five PS3 tracks are from the same artist.

Will probably get Hyperspace, maybe Dead Again.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Horrible week for both consoles.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    LunaticSoul;4474707 said:
    .. Was all that B&G really needed?

WHY??? Five songs, and only Pac-man fever managed to sell more than 500 units on 360.. Heck, I could say 200 units. Why?? except for Pac-man those songs weren't even requested here on the forums, I could understand if they were huge sellers, but those AREN'T.
    You know I have feelings, right? :(

Sorry you apparently hate the songs, but some people really love them. And I've been getting TONS of requests outside the forums for them on PS3. The songs also received a ton of press for RBN during their initial announcement and release.

Again, sorry this pisses you off so much. Maybe next week will be better for you.
  • Nick360Nick360 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Hey HMX, if you can release poor selling 360 songs onto the PS3, then the Wii can also get new RBN songs too!!!
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Nick360;4474817 said:
    Wii
    Nope.
    edited August 2011
    Pankrazzo;4474825 said:
    Nope.

Like wii care
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    wow, for once PS3 gets more songs than xbox. i wonder why there's only 2 xbox songs this week?

anyway, i'm glad to see pac-man fever, one of the few recent RBN songs to come out that i actually want (still waiting for that Bed Intruder song). i don't care if the other less interesting B&G songs come along with it, getting 1 RBN song this week still means i'm getting 1 more RBN song than i usually get. and since it's my most desired RBN 2.0 song for RB3, that makes it a good RBN week to me.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2011
    Well, they announced seven months ago that RBN songs on the Wii weren't selling enough to justify the extra work in converting tracks, which is why they haven't released any tracks in seven months, but I'm sure they'll make an exception for a few "poor selling" tracks, on top of whatever work it would take to open up the pipeline again..
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    tnevaker;4474851 said:
    wow, for once PS3 gets more songs than xbox. i wonder why there's only 2 xbox songs this week?

This should probably explain things.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    TheOzone;4474809 said:
    You know I have feelings, right? :(

I'm sorry if it bothers you, but please remind that we PS3 users just get the "best" of RBN2, we have to hope for our favourite songs to get ported. We don't get the full choice 360 has for obvious reason, and I'm right to be pissed when songs that sold way better than some of the choices don't get ported instead of less deserving songs.

I browse the RBN section since the inception of RBN1 and I have never heard of "Possiible Oscar".
    edited August 2011
    You are not 'right' to be pissed when HMX said they will also port stuff they personally like.

Would you bet against HMX liking the Pac-Man Fever album?
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    HMXLachesis;4474706 said:
    Fallen Angel - "Ashes to Ashes/Leaving It All Behind"
    Just wanted to say this has the coolest venue I think I've ever seen.

Posting this here as well, so more people check it out.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Pankrazzo;4474779 said:
    Horrible week for both consoles.

I highly disagree. The two metal songs the 360 got are ace and Pac-Man Fever is sweet.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited August 2011
    Trivia: If we used Xbox sales alone to determine what songs got ported, then (according to my most recent notes) we'd be releasing 33 metal songs and 7 non-metal songs over the next 8 weeks. Xbox RBN players love them some metal.
    edited August 2011
    HMXLachesis;4474911 said:
    Trivia: If we used Xbox sales alone to determine what songs got ported, then (according to my most recent notes) we'd be releasing 33 metal songs and 7 non-metal songs over the next 8 weeks. Xbox RBN players love them some metal.

HMX hates popular selling DLC!
  • BathTubBathTub Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Wooo Doctor Demento Week for PS3!

Seriously big ups to Possible Oscar, clearly you have fans over at HMX!
  • war_lordwar_lord Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Complain about the PS3 picks if you'd like, but I'll personally be picking up all 5 RBN tracks this week. I've listened to those B&G songs for years now, and I'm cracking up while listening to the Possible Oscar track right now.
    edited August 2011
    Just listened to Possible Oscar. Now I want all five PS3 songs to come out for Wii :mad: The song even mentioned "Super Mario," don't tell me this stuff wouldn't sell on Wii HMX :mad::mad:
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Nick360;4474966 said:
    Just listened to Possible Oscar. Now I want all five PS3 songs to come out for Wii :mad: The song even mentioned "Super Mario," don't tell me this stuff wouldn't sell on Wii HMX :mad::mad:
    If you think that's bad, wait until "Do the Donkey Kong" comes out as part of Pac-Man Fever Set 2. ;)
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 2011
    war_lord;4474938 said:
    Complain about the PS3 picks if you'd like, but I'll personally be picking up all 5 RBN tracks this week. I've listened to those B&G songs for years now, and I'm cracking up while listening to the Possible Oscar track right now.

Me too. I love all 5.
    Much better than most of the CRAP-metal put out for us PS3 to "like".
    (Though Timeless Miracles song is one of the best power metal songs we've gotten in awhile)
  • FinalAeonFinalAeon Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Horrible week for PS3.

Sorry Ozone, I know you have feelings and I wouldn't have minded as much if we got 5 of your songs if it were from 5 different authors. I just don't like B&G and to see them fill up 4 out of the 5 weekly slots we have, really ruins this week for me. 5th song is along the same lines, so I'll pass on that too.

Heck, even if HMX are such big fans of the B&G stuff, why not spread them out over 4 weeks instead of dumping them on us all at once. For the record, even if we got 4 Amberian Dawn tracks (which I love in general), I'd still complain about the lack of variety.

Oh well, hopefully HMX can finally get Hangman and Dreamchaser up in the EU store, so I have something to buy off of RBN next week.
  • Lord_PorkswordLord_Porksword Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    I appreciate the effort to get more songs onto the PS3...but never heard of any of these songs and (from listening to samples) I just can't get into any of these this week. :(

I think a good serving of "Pray for Plagues", next week for tha PS3, will redeem this weeks songs! ;)

FinalAeon's suggestion of spread out same artist songs over more than 1 week is a good idea. It'll keep us complainers outta the release threads! (well maybe - he he)
  • PeridotWeaponPeridotWeapon Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Nick360;4474817 said:
    Hey HMX, if you can release poor selling 360 songs onto the PS3, then the Wii can also get new RBN songs too!!!
    The problem with the Wii just comes down to lack of interest by the people with the console.

All the RBN songs released on the Wii, combined, have about 30,000 scores on their high score tables. Compare those same songs to the PS3 (~200K) and 360 (~500K).

On average, a song released on the 360 sells half as well on the PS3, and one-tenth as well on the Wii (this includes standard DLC as well). (The numbers aren't exact, because that info is based off of plays as opposed to purchases.) But when "In The End" sells 60,000 copies on the 360 and only 4,000 on the Wii, it's apparent why supporting the RBN on Wii wasn't financially viable.

As for complaints about the PS3 songs, remember, if Sony didn't cap the songs at five a week, you wouldn't HAVE these issues. Take the torches and pitchforks to where the problem REALLY lies.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2011
    PeridotWeapon;4475259 said:
    The problem with the Wii just comes down to lack of interest by the people with the console.

All the RBN songs released on the Wii, combined, have about 30,000 scores on their high score tables. Compare those same songs to the PS3 (~200K) and 360 (~500K).

On average, a song released on the 360 sells half as well on the PS3, and one-tenth as well on the Wii (this includes standard DLC as well). (The numbers aren't exact, because that info is based off of plays as opposed to purchases.) But when "In The End" sells 60,000 copies on the 360 and only 4,000 on the Wii, it's apparent why supporting the RBN on Wii wasn't financially viable.

As for complaints about the PS3 songs, remember, if Sony didn't cap the songs at five a week, you wouldn't HAVE these issues. Take the torches and pitchforks to where the problem REALLY lies.
    The other issue is the cost of porting over, which is more expensive/time consuming because they need to convert them into the Wii Format. So they don't sell well and they cost more to port over. It's a kiss of death.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Slow week for me. Just the Fallen Angel.
  • BrooklynHomesBrooklynHomes Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Why can;t I do audition mode? I have Xbox LIVE wait ... how do I join a creators club?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2011
    It's through MS XNA program.

$49.99 for a four month membership, or $99 for the whole year.

Plus you need to download magma (free), and have RB3 and a PC that is connected to (via router) a 360.
  • khaosklubkhaosklub Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    yeah, I'd say the problem would be that all 5 tracks are video game themed songs. it's interesting, but 4 of the 5 are from the same author. I've always enjoyed the variety of the RBN release in contrast to the hit or miss release of the normal DLC. DLC either has a bunch of songs I like, or nothing I want, but I was always happy that RBN had at least one song I wanted to buy.

But this time, it's just 4 songs that sound the same, so if you like one, you'll prolly like them all, but if you don't like one, you probably won't like any. And the fifth song is different enough, but I find it kinda mediocre.

I'm still waiting for the legitimate Alien Ant Farm track.

I mean, 4 of the songs being from one author? at least make the 5th song contrast those 4.

well, at least there're some songs from this weeks DLC that I want, so you're getting my money this week harmonix. please release glow on the PS3, please?
  • edited August 2011
    HMXLachesis;4474911 said:

If those 33 metal songs include the Amberian Dawn RBN2.0 tracks that haven't been released on the PS3 yet, and the 7 non-metal tracks include Van Friscia, I'm actually very much in favor of this approach. ;)