Newbie question

darkcloud13darkcloud13 Unsigned
edited August 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I've started to think about getting rb3 for the Xbox and charting my own songs. So I decided to look into it and found out about stems. But how/where do people get stems for popular songs such as "All I want" and "Megalodon"? Sorry it's a very sad question to ask but I've only started looking at RBN.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    They contact the labels.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2011
    Yeah this isn't a thing where you just grab your favorite MP3 make charts and put them up for everyone to buy.

You have to get permission, master stems, contracts, all kinds of fun stuff.

Now people DO the above (with the MP3) in the custom scene, but it's very illegal just FYI.
  • darkcloud13darkcloud13 Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the info guys! Im going to go read more about RBN and contact a certain record label for permission to chart a certain awesome song :D Thanks again
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    Do you even KNOW how to chart? And did you buy your XNA account?
    edited August 2011
    Know how to chart? I've had experience using audio programs like REAPER and I think I have the main concept of how to chart. Buy my XNA account? I haven't looked into it much but I know it'll cost me.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    darkcloud13;4476516 said:
    Thanks for the info guys! Im going to go read more about RBN and contact a certain record label for permission to chart a certain awesome song :D Thanks again

Sounds good. Make sure to read the docs, download the sample project, really get a feel for the work as much as you can.

Oh, also. You're not going to get them. I don't know who you are or who you'll be talking to, but you're not going to get them.

I don't say that to be cynical or make you change your mind. I want the authoring community to grow. But, I want to make sure your expectations are in line. It is hard as hell to get any moderately popular band involved. The guys who did "All I Want" have close connections to Harmonix. The guys who did "Megalodon" are long-time industry veterans. Most likely, you're going to be more like us or That Authoring Group- effectively carpet-bombing bands you want in the game and maybe a few have the courtesy to say "no thanks". But sometimes you get lucky, and Devin Townsend or Rockapella take you up on the idea.

So when you contact your favorite band and nothing happens, the worst you can do afterwards is nothing. Try someone else. Try a local band you like. Try someone you vaguely remember from the 90's. Try someone that's not a rock band. Because for all the bands that aren't interested in being in Rock Band, there's a ton that are. They just need someone to bring it up.
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the info. Where would you suggest a begginer to start?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2011
    Also a rookie mistake a lot of us make. If a band is signed then contact the LABEL not the band.

The band could be gung ho for it, and you'll get all excited, then the label will say get bent ;)

So check to see if a band is signed. If they are then find out which label put out which album the song you like is a part of then approach them first.

99% of the time the label that put out the album has rights to the masters, and without their permission it won't happen. No matter how much the band or their management is behind the idea :)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    darkcloud13;4476534 said:

I started out only authoring my own songs, but I recently started getting other acts. I would suggest finding small-time acts on the YouTube, Band Camp or Facebook; poking around music forums to see if anyone's interested; or trying local bands.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    darkcloud13;4476534 said:

What I did was go to a music community I'm sort of part of, and just explained what I was starting and offered good deals to anyone willing to risk working with a newbie. That got us a handful. By the time Minnesota (our first song) was out, I was already casting a wide net. Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Tame Impala, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and so forth. But the first song we released that was a result of us contacting the artist, not the artist contacting us or any other method, was "Bang Bang Bang" by The Virginmarys. That was the 15th song we released. And so far we've only released 5 more that came about that way.

But I know TAG got a lot of their clients from contacting them, so your mileage will vary. But even they have trouble getting positive replies.

Your 100% best bet, like LiveHomeVideo mentioned, is to start with your own project. But if you don't have one... that's not exactly feasible, then.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I got IG from a blog post announcing one of their games, when they decided to reply to every single comment(150), including my blank one. That's when I asked about "(pin)Ballz" and they were all for it
    Most of the other bands I've emailed, with the exception of people I actually know and talk to in person
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4476543 said:

But I know TAG got a lot of their clients from contacting them, so your mileage will vary. But even they have trouble getting positive replies.

Noble sent a mass email to about 1500 different people (number inflated) and only got like 20(?) responses... at TAG, we just brainstorm who we can go after and just send out all the emails we can... its always worth it, SOMEONE will be interested

so yeah, as you said before, we just carpet bomb as many labels/artists as possible :P