Looking to buy RBN songs

Eternal_DragonEternal_Dragon Unsigned
edited August 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I've never been a big buyer for RBN songs namely because you can't preview them which really bothers me. Is there any good songs out there that you would recommend? (For the ps3)

I like heavy Rock, lighter metal typically. Songs that are fun to play, that bring a challenge, but aren't annoyingly hard like Through the Fire and Flames hard.

I'm also into bass a lot, so songs that are fun to play on bass is another thing I'm looking for.

Comments

• ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but you CAN preview RBN songs on PS3. It was only discovered how a month or two ago. Basically, you go into your Parental Controls option on the XMB and set it to Off (the default setting is level 9 out of 12 I think). The default password to change it is 0000. After you turn them off, the RBN previews should work.
  • Eternal_DragonEternal_Dragon Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    I never knew that! I will try that when I get home. Being able to preview the songs is a big plus.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    Check out Children of Nova (I think they all got ported to PS3), it's reasonably heavy prog-rock with generally awesome basslines. Amberian Dawn is always worth a listen to see if you'd be into them, although the guitar often features very difficult solos (although not quite to TtFaF levels). Firewind is awesome and Head Up High isn't too difficult on Guitar.
    edited August 2011
    Also, I maintain a spreadsheet of all PS3 RBN releases. In particular, one of the ways I have it sorted is by Genre and even by Subgenre.
  • Eternal_DragonEternal_Dragon Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    Oscarvarium;4477989 said:
    Check out Children of Nova (I think they all got ported to PS3), it's reasonably heavy prog-rock with generally awesome basslines. Amberian Dawn is always worth a listen to see if you'd be into them, although the guitar often features very difficult solos (although not quite to TtFaF levels). Firewind is awesome and Head Up High isn't too difficult on Guitar.

Thanks, I will look into those. I've been hearing word about Amberian Dawn a lot, so I will definitely look into them.
    Also, I maintain a spreadsheet of all PS3 RBN releases. In particular, one of the ways I have it sorted is by Genre and even by Subgenre
    Wow, that's a lot of dedication and a good idea.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I'd be obligated to suggest Battle of Lil' Slugger, but the guitar might be a little above what you're looking for. But maybe not, it's not uber-hard but it's meant to be challenging, might be within your range.
  • alicethesisteralicethesister Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    I like chiptunes, so I'm gonna have to say anamanaguchi.

I also really enjoyed the Sunny Day Real Estate tracks.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    If you like "lighter" Metal, there are Evanescence, Creed, Drowning Pool, Seether (RBN2 song too), among the most famous ones..

Also, other bands like Drugstore Fanatics, Nonpoint.. are the first bands released recently that you could consider "light" Metal.

I'm mainly a Prog listener, on the RBN you can find practically anything. Especially if you're into Metalcore.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    I recommend Gov't Mule. Two 4-dot guitar parts. Do you like "Ramblin' Man" off RB2? Same style (and some of the same musicians, actually). For me, they hit that "just hard enough to be fun" sweet spot.
    edited August 2011
    Eternal_Dragon;4478000 said:
    Thanks, I will look into those. I've been hearing word about Amberian Dawn a lot, so I will definitely look into them.

Most of the Amberian Dawn songs are 5-dot on guitar, only a couple are devil, but most of them should be devil. I remembered after I bought most of their songs that RBN kind of has a reputation for undertiering.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4481134 said:
    Most of the Amberian Dawn songs are 5-dot on guitar, only a couple are devil, but most of them should be devil. I remembered after I bought most of their songs that RBN kind of has a reputation for undertiering.
    Tiering is obviously very subjective and I believe many people would say that RBN overtiers a lot as well as/instead of undertiering (I personally think this is particularly true for Pro Keys). In the case of the Amberian Dawn songs, they tend to have fairly simple stuff throughout most of the song and the fiendishly difficult solos, so devil tiers is only applicable to a small part of the song. On my part it usually it's a case of 'does the solo continue at devil-tier levels for long enough to fail out most people even with a full bar of overdrive?' (OD being easy to obtain due to the rest of the song being fairly easy, as mentioned). Yes = Devils, No = 5-dot.

In other words, 5-dots means you can probably fudge through it with good use of overdrive, devils means you need to have the chops. I didn't work on all the AD songs though so mileage may vary, like I said, tiers are very subjective.

Of course there are some really easy Amberian Dawn songs if you're not looking for a challenge. Snowmaiden, My Only Star, Lost Soul (and almost certainly some others) are all very easy on Guitar.
    edited August 2011
    Snowmaiden's a fun one. And of course tiering is subjective. I just remember "He Sleeps in a Grove," "Kokko - Eagle of Fire," and "River of Tuoni," all of them 5 dots, all of them being OMG HOLY CRAP hard.
    edited August 2011
    Regarding the tiering, they changed the cutoffs between RB2 and RB3, so a lot of songs that were listed as devil heads in RB2 got recategorized into 5 dots on RB3. Here is a list of RBN1 songs that this affects:
    http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33613
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I will recommend Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule and Free Spirit as MUST haves for your catalog.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    A Day To Remember, some Amberian Dawn, Sunny Day Real Estate, Children Of Nova, Seether, Drugstore Fanatics and Nonpoint are all ones to give a look.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Amberian Dawn and Firewind were the first to come to mind when reading the first post. The Sonata Arctica Song too. Any of the Hourcast songs.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Thank you ricecake...I have been trying to listen to rockband network songs forever..I wanted to change my parental control settings, but didnt know the 4 digit code that would let me in to do it. ( UNTIL TODAY ...HA!!! ) It worked like a charm. I'm so happy. Good news-I now can listen to all RBN songs I've been dying to hear. Bad news...I need more money to buy all this newly discovered dlc...... love it!