Is there any sort of minimum standard for artists getting on the RBN?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited August 2011 in The Rock Band Network
A few weeks ago I heard an awesome jam band at an outdoor concert (I thought they sounded like Phish...my coworker at the same show, 20 years my senior, thought they sounded like the Grateful Dead :p ). They've toured a bit but aren't signed to a label of any real consequence. Needless to say, I think they'd be awesome additions to the game, so should I just contact them and broach the idea?

This is the band in question

Comments

• OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4479748 said:
    Standard? lol
    There is a song that uses a theremin as the main instrument, it sounds like white noise.

Also this. :D
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
  • jjdude1jjdude1 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I think the only song that was below the standard was the "One-Note song"
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    TubaDude49;4479870 said:

visions is still in my top 5 songs on RB2... on everything but vocals (obviously)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    If you think these songs aren't music, be glad I didn't go with a joke I wanted to do and burp in a mic and submit that as a song for Playtesting...

I was actually thinking about that.
    edited August 2011
    I was planning a true "Songs For The Deaf"...

... as in radio silence.

I figured that wouldn't go over very well...
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    Neat. I'll send them an email. They don't know me from Eve, but that shouldn't matter. If they're interested, they're interested, and if not, not.
    edited August 2011
    Email sent. I really tried to sell them on Pro Keys, since they've got a great keyboardist.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    TubaDude49;4480146 said:
    I was planning a true "Songs For The Deaf"...

... as in radio silence.

I figured that wouldn't go over very well...

Yea, John Cage's estate might sue.
    edited August 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4480402 said:

Good to know. That way I won't be the person who wrote it.
    /offtogoliscencethat

EDIT: Fairwood, would I need a count-in for that?
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4480402 said:

I always think of Mortal Kombat when I see John Cage's name. Video games corrupt. :P

Seeing those YouTube comments for the noise songs remind me of why I enjoy the entire concept of 4'33". I can just picture high society walking out muttering their own personal YouTube comments. :D
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2011
    TubaDude49;4480407 said:
    Good to know. That way I won't be the person who wrote it.
    /offtogoliscencethat

EDIT: Fairwood, would I need a count-in for that?

Yeah but you could make a custom count-in based on the drum track of the song
    edited August 2011
    LuigiHann;4480590 said:
    Yeah but you could make a custom count-in based on the drum track of the song

I'll figure out something. Finished off a first build and am about to contact publisher for rights
    edited August 2011
    Oh Em Gee...putting 4'33" on the game would be quite the prank. Would it even be possible, or would they all just show up as "no part" instead?
    edited August 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4480799 said:
    Oh Em Gee...putting 4'33" on the game would be quite the prank. Would it even be possible...

We're actually debating this on creators at the moment. The rights holders aren't opposed
  • turnitup321turnitup321 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    TubaDude49;4480808 said:
    We're actually debating this on creators at the moment. The rights holders aren't opposed

Hope it works out.

You would either be a genius...or the greatest RBN-related troll since Kariodude's PR guy.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I'd buy that.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2011
    I think it would come off as a cheap joke, and a quick way to cash in on a fairly well-known composition that would take next to no time to author.

EDIT: I was referring to 4'33", in case that wasn't clear.
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I'd want at least a few instruments to be playable to get the effect across, but then you'd need to chart something, and that would be awkward.

Or just a vocals-only track with two two-minute talkie phrases labeled [silence]
    edited August 2011
    LuigiHann;4480895 said:

Or just a vocals-only track with two two-minute talkie phrases labeled [silence]

But that would prompt the player to play...
    The way I currently have it charted is a full 7 person band though
    edited August 2011
    Well it would prompt the player to stand there in silence, but the sensitivity could be set so high that any ambient sounds will trigger the talkie, which is in keeping with the intention of the song
    edited August 2011
    Oh, I had another question - one of Acorn Project's songs at the show I went to was well over 20 minutes long. Now, chances are the studio version of that song isn't nearly as long, but on the off chance it is, could something that long be put in the game? Is there a maximum length restriction for RBN songs?
    edited August 2011
    10 minutes, but it can be released as Part 1, 2 etc
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2011
    "As Slow As Possible" would have to be split into 33,608,736 parts.
  • alicethesisteralicethesister Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    There should be standards. For one, I think it should be MUSIC. They are called rhythm games for a reason. Quality control has its name for a reason. You'd think they'd want quality. Honestly, who wants to hear a 30 second track of a mentally ill guy recording himself yelling sex as fast as he can in his bedroom? Not me. I bought rock band to play SONGS. It makes it hard to find all the good stuff when I have to sift through awful stuff like in the OP.
    edited August 2011
    alicethesister;4481112 said:
    when I have to sift through awful stuff like in the OP.

Um...what? I didn't post any songs, just a link to the band's website. They do have a music player on it, too, but this stuff kicks ass, I'm telling you.
  • turnitup321turnitup321 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    There should be standards. For one, I think it should be MUSIC. They are called rhythm games for a reason. Quality control has its name for a reason. You'd think they'd want quality. Honestly, who wants to hear a 30 second track of a mentally ill guy recording himself yelling sex as fast as he can in his bedroom? Not me. I bought rock band to play SONGS. It makes it hard to find all the good stuff when I have to sift through awful stuff like in the OP.

I would buy that, if I had an Xbox. In fact, I think something not unlike yelling SEX over and over will be coming to the RBN. (SEX by SNMT)
    edited August 2011
    After much debate, it has been decided that 4'33" will not be coming to Rock Band.
    All apologies.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    There should be standards. For one, I think it should be MUSIC.

Define music.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited August 2011
    Honestly, who wants to hear a 30 second track of a mentally ill guy recording himself yelling sex as fast as he can in his bedroom?

Finally I can start recording again, you have given me the inspiration!