Rocky713's LEGO Rock Band 2 Setlist

rocky713rocky713 Rising Star
edited August 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Another setlist down. Anyways, I've been seeing a lot of Rock band 4 setlists lately, but not any for Lego Rock Band 2. So, I made one. This is a little...er...rough, but I did a good bit of "research" into this. I may add or take away, but, who knows.

Features
  • A 59 song setlist, with some of your favorite artists!
  • 22 power challenges for you to enjoy! (Embolded)
  • Guest appearances from the Village People, Jonas Brothers, Katy Perry, "Weird Al" Yankovic, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones!
  • Keyboard and harmony compatible! (Keyboard marked by *, Harmony marked by ^)
  • A children-safe online mode!
  • Children-friendly DLC!
  • And much more!
1960’s (4)
The Beach Boys – “Surfin’ U.S.A” – Surf^
The Beatles – “Hey Jude” – Classic Rock*^
The Turtles – “Happy Together” – Pop^
Van Morrison – “Brown Eyed Girl” – Pop

1970’s (11)
ABBA – “Mamma Mia!” – Pop*
Aerosmith – “Dream On” – Classic Rock*
Bachman-Turner Overdrive – “Takin’ Care of Business” – Classic Rock*^
Cheap Trick – “Surrender” – Classic Rock*^
Earth, Wind, & Fire – “Shining Star” – Funk*^
Elton John – “Rocket Man” – Soft Rock*^
Neil Diamond – “Sweet Caroline” – Folk*
Pilot – “It’s Magic” – Pop*
The Village People – “Y.M.C.A” – Disco*^
Wild Cherry – “Play That Funky Music” – Funk*^

1980’s (13)
Bow Wow Wow – “I Want Candy” – Surf^
Kenny Loggins – “Footloose” – Pop*^
Lipps Inc. – “Funkytown” – Funk*^
Nena – “99 Red Balloons” – New Wave*
The Proclaimers – “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” – Pop^
The Rolling Stones – “Start Me Up” – Classic Rock^
The Romantics – “What I Like About You” – Rock^
Scandal – “The Warrior” – Classic Rock^
The Scorpions – “No One Like You” – Classic Rock^
Simple Minds – “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” – New Wave*
Twisted Sister – “We’re Not Gonna Take It” – Classic Rock^
Van Halen – “Dance the Night Away” – Arena Rock^
“Weird Al” Yankovic – “Eat It” – Novelty^

1990’s (5)
The Black Crowes – “She Talks To Angels” – Alternative*
Hanson – “MMMBop” – Pop*^
Lit – “Zip-Lock” – Rock^
Ricky Martin – “Livin’ La Vida Loca” - Rock*^
Semisonic – “Closing Time” – Rock*^

2000’s (23)
311 – “Hey You” – Rock
Coldplay – “Clocks” – Alternative*^
Fall Out Boy – “A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More ‘Touch Me’” – Alternative^
The Fray – “You Found Me” – Alternative*^
Hoobastank – “The Reason” – Pop Rock*
Incubus – “Drive” – Alternative^
JET – “Look What You’ve Done” – Rock*
Jonas Brothers – “Love Bug” – Pop-Rock^
Katy Perry – “Teenage Dream” – Pop*^
Kenny Chesney – “Summertime” – Country^
Lifehouse – “Hanging By a Moment” – Alternative^
Miley Cyrus – “Party In the U.S.A” – Pop*^
Smash Mouth – “Then the Morning Comes” – Rock*^
Simple Plan – “Addicted” – Alternative^
P!nk – “Please Don’t Leave Me” – Pop^
Plain White T’s – “Our Time Now” – Pop-Rock^
Rancid – “Fall Back Down” – Punk*^
Reel Big Fish – “My Imaginary Friend” – Rock*^
Snow Patrol – “Chasing Cars” – Alternative*^
Taylor Swift – “You Belong With Me” – Country Pop^
They Might Be Giants – “Boss of Me” – Rock*^
Train – “Hey, Soul Sister” – Pop*
Weezer – “Island In the Sun” – Alternative^

2010’s (3)
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals – “Paris (Ooh La La)” – Country Pop^
Hot Chelle Rae – “Tonight Tonight” – Pop Rock*^
OneRepublic – “Good Life” – Alternative*^

Genre Breakdown:

Surf - 2
Classic Rock - 9
Pop - 11
Funk - 3
Soft Rock - 1
Folk - 1
New Wave - 2
Rock - 8
Novelty - 1
Alternative - 8
Pop-Rock - 4
Country - 3
Punk - 1

Comments

• FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2011
    I'm not quite sure if "99 Luftballons" is kid friendly.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    I know it's a game for kids, but...

Why Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus? That's two of the four musicians/bands that I try my best not to listen to.
  • rocky713rocky713 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4480156 said:
    I know it's a game for kids, but...

Why Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus? That's two of the four musicians/bands that I try my best not to listen to.
    Well, it's just for the kids. And in all truth the Jonas Brothers' song is the only one I can tolerate. As for Miley Cyrus, like I said, it's for the children.
    I'm not quite sure if "99 Luftballons" is kid friendly.
    From what I remember, it's about nuclear warfare. But, that's the back meaning. Most kids won't think about what the songs mean while singing it. And for the older adults/teenagers, they'll know the song, and enjoy it for what it is, not for the lyrics. And, like I said, it is a little rough around the edges, I'll polish it later on, and post another version soon. In the meantime, I still have to organize a 200 song setlist...
  • coolsnoopy97coolsnoopy97 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    It's not bad, but I'm not exactly sure, as some mentioned, about some of the song choices. If the game is geared towards kids under 10, then all the kiddie pop would be natural, but the Lego games always appealed to a broader range of gamers, due to the addicting gameplay, while still being aimed for the 7-12ish range. I even bought the first LRB (only cause of Final Countdown). I'm just thinking most kids over 10 will retch at sight of Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers (I know I would've back then) and be turned off from the game.

There's a few good songs here, but mostly, not many I would imagine fun to play. I saw an excellent LRB setlist that managed to maintain an excellent variety of classic rock so as not to turn off the Rock Band crowd while still catering to the LRB audience, while here I mainly see pop.

Still, not too bad.
    edited August 2011
    coolsnoopy97;4480217 said:
    It's not bad, but I'm not exactly sure, as some mentioned, about some of the song choices. If the game is geared towards kids under 10, then all the kiddie pop would be natural, but the Lego games always appealed to a broader range of gamers, due to the addicting gameplay, while still being aimed for the 7-12ish range. I even bought the first LRB (only cause of Final Countdown). I'm just thinking most kids over 10 will retch at sight of Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers (I know I would've back then) and be turned off from the game.

There's a few good songs here, but mostly, not many I would imagine fun to play. I saw an excellent LRB setlist that managed to maintain an excellent variety of classic rock so as not to turn off the Rock Band crowd while still catering to the LRB audience, while here I mainly see pop.

Still, not too bad.

Once again, as I said, this is rough around the edges. I may take out the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus during another draft. And also, I was gearing this setlist to a younger audience, but trying to select songs that I thought the forums would want. I do feel this is a little pop-heavy, I haven't done a genre-breakdown (yet), but once again, I was gearing this setlist to a younger audience, and these days, the younger audience likes Ke$ha, and Lady GaGa, and Katy Perry, and other pop artists of the sort.

I'll edit this soon.

EDIT. Genre Breakdown up.
  • TuleRuneTuleRune Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I still fail understand why people insist on using the original 99 Luftballons by Nena instead of the Goldfinger cover. The Goldfinger version is so much more energetic and appliable to Rock Band unlike Nena. This is only acceptable if Goldfinger are already in the list and actually Superman would be a tremendous addition to the list because the 90s is... pretty awful really.
    Get rid of Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Fall Out Boy (the song is absolutely not child friendly) and Katy Perry (again, not a good choice considering the amount of pretty fun band songs *cough*Last Friday Night*cough*) to make room for a few more 90s songs.

I suppose most of the choices wouldn't be questioned if they were added and I think that there are good songs in the list. The 90s section is appalling and considering a large proportion of the Rock Band audience started discovering music in that decade it erally needs to be improved. 5 songs is pathertic, especially when you have wasted spots on the likes of Miley Cyrus who already has too many songs.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    TuleRune;4480806 said:
    I still fail understand why people insist on using the original 99 Luftballons by Nena instead of the Goldfinger cover. The Goldfinger version is so much more energetic and appliable to Rock Band unlike Nena.

I do like this version, but I grew up with the Nena version, and I pick it mainly for nostalgia. I was planning to do DLC for my video setlist, first week being a covers week with covers of songs in the game, and would include this version of the song, along with more covers.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited August 2011
    I.. uh... I actually kind of.. uh... like the Jonas Brothers' music. But I think something like "Burnin' Up", "Paranoid", "Hold On", or, my personal favorite "Don't Speak" would be better suited for the game, as "Lovebug" would be boring on most instruments for at least the first half of the song. Just putting that put there.
  • turnitup321turnitup321 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Instafail for putting in Jonas Brothers. Also, same for Miley Cyrus. Would it have killed the OP to put in REAL rock bands as opposed to purveyors of sanitized Disney crap?
    edited August 2011
    TuleRune;4480806 said:

Get rid of... Katy Perry (again, not a good choice considering the amount of pretty fun band songs *cough*Last Friday Night*cough*)

Last Friday Night is not appropriate for a Lego game. Maybe in a regular RB game. May I suggest Waking Up In Vegas instead? Oh wait. How about I Kissed A Girl? Oh yeah, that's right...
    edited August 2011
    Oh, also, I know I never really said it in these words exactly, but great setlist, man. I would buy this in a heartbeat.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2011
    TuleRune;4480806 said:
    I still fail understand why people insist on using the original 99 Luftballons by Nena instead of the Goldfinger cover.

Because the Goldfinger cover is awful.

Subjectivity aside, there aren't even any synthesizers on it.
  • Alfon1995Alfon1995 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Oh my god! the 00's section is pure garbage. Destroy it with fire!!! Miley Cyrus, Jonras Brothers, Katy Perry, Fall Out Boy. Buagh I think I'll puke
    edited August 2011
    Okay...wow...

God, I didn't think I'd get this bad of a response for a few songs. So, let me try to respond it all of this...

First off, to TuleRune, I understand the 90's was garbage. I couldn't find any good 90's songs that were appropriate for Rock Band, and for children. Once again, the audience is 7-12, and I couldn't find any songs that were appropriate. To Alfon, the 00's section were a mix of songs I liked, along with a mix of songs that I though kids would like (i.e, Miley, JBs, Perry, and FOB). I understand that some of the songs are terrible.

And to turnitup, it's two songs. I mean, when I bought RB2 (I still don't have RB3), there were two or three songs I didn't like. But the good weighed out the bad. And for the "Disney crap" how many times do I need to say this, THIS LIST WAS AIMED FOR THE APPROPRIATE AGE GROUP! I can't some bands in the game because of their style of music and lyrics. The "Disney Crap" was supposed to be for the kids.

And once again, this setlist is rough, I'll edit all the crappy music later.
  • coolsnoopy97coolsnoopy97 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    If I may point something out...

You may want to put a little more faith in kids these days. They don't all like crappy music (although lots do). Even the Miley Cyrus fans probably have a knowledge (if limited) of classic rock. I admit, I was musically adept at 11 (I have RB and GH to thank for that), but I'm sure there are a ton of kids out there who would instantly recognize the riff to Iron Man or a name like Jimi Hendrix. Again, I don't know how explicit the lyrics are, but I'm sure there are a bunch of good classic rock songs that kids would enjoy. Even a few metal ones!

Lego Rock Band had a crappy song list, but there were a few classic rock songs in there that were indeed enjoyable. You already have a few good ones in here, so it's not all pop. I'm just saying...if you went for a slightly broader variety of music than the instantly obvious, you'd be surprised what sort of music kids would enjoy.

Long piece of advice over.
    edited August 2011
    coolsnoopy97;4481020 said:
    If I may point something out...

You may want to put a little more faith in kids these days. They don't all like crappy music (although lots do). Even the Miley Cyrus fans probably have a knowledge (if limited) of classic rock. I admit, I was musically adept at 11 (I have RB and GH to thank for that), but I'm sure there are a ton of kids out there who would instantly recognize the riff to Iron Man or a name like Jimi Hendrix. Again, I don't know how explicit the lyrics are, but I'm sure there are a bunch of good classic rock songs that kids would enjoy. Even a few metal ones!

Long piece of advice over.

I was more worried over the lyrics to the song than the likability of kids liking it. I tried to make this not an all pop setlist, and tried my best to throw in some good songs...and apparently, everyone is focusing on two, but, oh well: Trial and error.

I do realize that there are kids that listen to classic rock. Hell, I knew the lyrics to "Takin' Care of Business" when I was 9. But, the majority of people at my school listen to present music, whether that be Katy Perry, to Avenged Sevenfold, and Arcade Fire. I don't know how many people listen to classic rock in my school (considering in my group of friends, I only know of two who listen to it).

Although I said this setlist had the most research, I did this over a 2-day period. I'll try to edit the list, make it better and more enjoyable.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited August 2011
    Everybody here is more worried about having Jonas Brothers in the game then noticing we already have shining star by EWF as DLC? Even if it's a RB3 version, still better to leave this noted. Also, I think you might want to skip labeling which songs have keys/harmonies, since your older songs are mislabeled. Heres a couple I saw, that I'll kindly point out:

Keyboard and harmony compatible! (Keyboard marked by *, Harmony marked by ^)

1960’s (2)
    The Turtles – “Happy Together” – Pop^
    Keys - 0:27 quick piano notes or at 0:40 Trumpet plays. 1:05 Held keys becoming more dominant, still playing. 1:13 Trumpet comes back. 1:28 Keys playing a different tune. 1:44 Trumpet comes back, keys still played throughout the song with harmonies. This song should have been noted just because GH made it possible to play both the Guitar/Trumpet in Band Hero.

Van Morrison – “Brown Eyed Girl” – Pop
    Keys - 0:15 They're faint, but there. 0:53 They finally make a more dominant loop. 1:34 They are blended right in with Harmonies.
    Harmonies- 1:34 Sha-La-la and 2:40 Sha-la-la. If "In The Meantime" can add harmonies for only 20 seconds in a 5 minute song, I'm sure this isn't much of a stretch. Not as bad as some DLC we've had either.

1970’s (3)
    ABBA – “Mamma Mia!” – Pop*
    Harmonies - 0:42 "Just Like", "One More" is clearly harmonies, hard to tell if they continue into the Mamma Mia with that damn xylophone lol. 1:55 "Just Like", "One More". 2:28 Clearly somebody is going "Oooooo"

Neil Diamond – “Sweet Caroline” – Folk*
    Harmonies - 1:03, 1:15, 2:15, 2:27, 2:52, 3:02 "Sweet Caroline" and "I've Been Inclined", female back up singers. It does a fade out, so you know they're still there till the end.

Pilot – “It’s Magic” – Pop*
    Harmonies - 1:00 "La la la la", 1:44 "La la la la", 2:30 "La la la la". In the music video, the drummer is clearly shown singing the "La La la la" part, even if he's miming it.

There are more, but these were the ones that made me do a double take, simply because they all standout as full band experiences. I would kill for any Abba, and would buy up the rest of these if they released any.