approaching bands about RBN participation

queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
edited August 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Hey RBN fans. There are a few bands that I'd like to contact and encourage to participate in the RBN. I figure if I can coordinate with some other fans, it might provide added encouragement. You know, a few e-mails here, a couple of Facebook messages there, who knows?

So, if there is anyone out there is a fan of any of the following artists, and doesn't mind investing a few minutes of precious time, please send me a private message and maybe together we can bring them aboard:

Thursday
Mike Doughty
Ozma
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
Ozomatli
the Format
Gogol Bordello

That's probably an ambitious enough list for now. Incidentally, the only common thread between these bands is that they are favorites of mine and they're not so huge that they seem unattainable. I have no idea on which of the bands might have any control over their own destinies (and masters), so any input on that would be great.

Comments

• ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2011
    Check wiki. Find out what labels put out the albums with the songs you're wanting to get. Then contact those labels.

If its one of the big labels like Sony, Warner, Universal, then it's not going to happen so I wouldn't bother with wasting time on them.

If they have not been signed then your best bet is to try to find contact info for the band themselves and see if they're interested.

Good luck!
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    to save you time, you will know us by the trail of dead is on superball records, which is under EMI, so they wont be happening anytime soon :|

some of their stuff was released on interscope, you'd have better luck contacting them.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2011
    Interscope is owned by Universal unfortunately.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    Didn't Ozomatli have an acrimonious breakup?
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4481902 said:
    Didn't Ozomatli have an acrimonious breakup?

Did they? That would be a shame. I'm not even that huge a fan, I just think they'd translate well to the game and be a lot of fun.

Appreciate folks' advice. I will scour wiki and give it a shot. Just to be clear, is there no utility in contacting the bands themselves? I mean, if they like the idea, that's got to count for something, right? Like, if they discuss it with their own label, I would assume they might at least, I dunno, listen politely?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    No, apparently I imagined that. Wonder who I was thinking of.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    queuemark;4482148 said:
    Did they? That would be a shame. I'm not even that huge a fan, I just think they'd translate well to the game and be a lot of fun.

Appreciate folks' advice. I will scour wiki and give it a shot. Just to be clear, is there no utility in contacting the bands themselves? I mean, if they like the idea, that's got to count for something, right? Like, if they discuss it with their own label, I would assume they might at least, I dunno, listen politely?

Several bands (usually up to a certain level of popularity) will have contact info on their sites, which may be direct to the artists. The label is still usually the ultimate gatekeeper, but if you get the band interested they can help pull a bit at making it happen. If not the band, management is also a good idea, since they usually deal with this kind of stuff anyway.

I wouldn't use big-label standing as an automatic "no", but temper your expectations. When we go scouting artists, we always assume from the start that they're not interested, since only rarely are we pleasantly surprised.
  • dphouthavongdphouthavong Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4481610 said:
    Check wiki. Find out what labels put out the albums with the songs you're wanting to get. Then contact those labels.

If its one of the big labels like Sony, Warner, Universal, then it's not going to happen so I wouldn't bother with wasting time on them.

If they have not been signed then your best bet is to try to find contact info for the band themselves and see if they're interested.

Good luck!

Hey I got a band, that can be in Rock Band Network, their not a major band but their good