What Would You All Think of This?

We got to talking in another thread about what is considered "music" and someone mentioned how even spoken word can be considered "music".
So i jokingly said "what if i record myself reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and submit it for playtesting"

Well it seemed to interest a few people (including an author who said he would chart it for me). So i want to see what other people thought about it.
The plan would be to release the whole book as 12 separate tracks (one per chapter assuming i could read each chapter in under 10 minutes) and have them just be vocals.

Would it really be that crazy?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Blasteroids;4481692 said:
    I think if you read out someone's book and then release it as spoken word, you can be prosecuted.

That was my only worry with this but the book is in the public domain so (like the classical pieces that have already come out) as long as i use my own recording and not some already existing one it should be fine.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    I would promote it on RBNS, if that's anything.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    As I said before, I'd author this.
  • edited August 2011
    Alright then. I'll record the first chapter tomorrow or Tuesday and send it your way. Whats the worst that could happen?
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4481859 said:
    That was my only worry with this but the book is in the public domain so (like the classical pieces that have already come out) as long as i use my own recording and not some already existing one it should be fine.

Then go for it :)
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4481882 said:
    Alright then. I'll record the first chapter tomorrow or Tuesday and send it your way. Whats the worst that could happen?

OK, thank you. What's your email, so I can contact you about it (make sure to send that through a PM rather than on this thread).
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Like I said in the other thread, I'd buy it. I think it's a really interesting concept.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2011
    Count me in the "neat idea, wouldn't buy" camp.
  • Hobo111Hobo111 Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    I'd buy it if it had pitched phrases for like, parts that show emotion or whatever instead of all talkies.

(And if it ever made it to PS3 <_<)
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited August 2011
    You better have a damn good reading voice also!
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    If this works well for you, I might just contact Stephen Fry to license his reading of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
    edited August 2011
    Hobo111;4481904 said:
    I'd buy it if it had pitched phrases for like, parts that show emotion or whatever instead of all talkies.

All suggestions will be considered. I would do that for Albuquerque from Weird Al if given the chance, so I don't see how this could be much different.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2011
    Can I make a suggestion?

Don't do the entire book, and don't do ten-minute chunks. Find a really interesting or entertaining section of the book that you can read in 3-5 minutes, and really focus on making your delivery engaging and punchy. I know it seems like worse value, but I'd definitely rather have a three minute narrative track on my hard drive than a ten minute one... because a three minute one would be a clever diversion and a ten minute one would be a massive drag.

Maybe the White Knight section of Through The Looking Glass, that has some nice quirky poetry in it. Or the tea party section of Wonderland. And maybe you could record (and chart) some simple guitar during "Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat."
    edited August 2011
    Add some double bass and scream it incoherently. You'll sell millions
    edited August 2011
    TubaDude49;4481920 said:
    Add some double bass and scream it incoherently. You'll sell millions

I'll label it as death metal... loljk.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited August 2011
    What is the HMX view on this? Theyve been open to all types of innovations with the service such as instruments charted to vocals and Double Bass charts etc but reading public domain stories and releasing them through the RBN - thats perhaps something else entirely.

Besides the stream of songs getting passed can be a trickle instead of said stream at times so people taking the time to playtest ie listen to entire chapters of novels for mistakes and errors instead of actual songs doesnt sound like a winning formula to me.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I would love to see it seeing all the other things we have on the RBN
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2011
    Why? What does this add to the game other than a cheap novelty? If it's just an all talky "song" with no other instruments, you won't be able to hear the narration. All you're doing is reading a story, and it's a lot easier to read paragraphs at your own pace than keep up with scrolling words.
  • edited August 2011
    Wow yeah i'm not doing this. I've never really listened to my voice before and it is not good. I just did a sample recording just to hear how it would sound and it sounds like ****.

If someone else wants to go ahead and do it go for it but my voice sucks lol.
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4482004 said:
    Wow yeah i'm not doing this. I've never really listened to my voice before and it is not good. I just did a sample recording just to hear how it would sound and it sounds like ****.

Perfectly understandable. Everyone hates there voice. even I do.
    edited August 2011
    Two options to make this work. Growly death metal, or autotune. The two extremes that I don't like.
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4482004 said:

I've had this experience before, when I attempted to "cover" the Gorillaz song "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head." My voice was suddenly waaay higher than I thought it was. It's part just the shock of hearing one's own voice, and partly a result of you not having any sort of experience with the skill of dramatic reading, so it is possible to improve with time. But I don't blame you for giving up, I know I did.

I still think it'd be cool to see this idea fleshed out by some people with some experience. A dramatic reading of a short, entertaining passage from the book, with a light original musical accompaniment to play along to, could be a pretty nice track. But just recording a person reading and then charting that wouldn't work nearly as well.
  • edited August 2011
    LuigiHann;4482014 said:
    I've had this experience before, when I attempted to "cover" the Gorillaz song "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head." My voice was suddenly waaay higher than I thought it was. It's part just the shock of hearing one's own voice, and partly a result of you not having any sort of experience with the skill of dramatic reading, so it is possible to improve with time. But I don't blame you for giving up, I know I did.

I still think it'd be cool to see this idea fleshed out by some people with some experience. A dramatic reading of a short, entertaining passage from the book, with a quiet original musical accompaniment to play along to, could be a pretty nice track. But just recording a person reading and then charting that wouldn't work nearly as well.
    After reading your suggestion to just do a segment of the book i decided to do my favorite poem from in the book "Your Are Old, Father William" Its the one Alice recites to the Caterpillar. After reading it a few times to myself i thought that it would sound really nice with some light musical accompaniment (maybe just a nice piano score) so i figured first thing i should do is record me saying it and then go from there. But after hearing my voice i don't think it would work well. My voice is so deep its ridiculous.
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4482021 said:
    After reading your suggestion to just do a segment of the book i decided to do my favorite poem from in the book "Your Are Old, Father William" Its the one Alice recites to the Caterpillar. After reading it a few times to myself i thought that it would sound really nice with some light musical accompaniment (maybe just a nice piano score) so i figured first thing i should do is record me saying it and then go from there. But after hearing my voice i don't think it would work well. My voice is so deep its ridiculous.

I actually think deeper voices work better for audiobooks and such, but that's just me. I myself still sound like I'm 12.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I had a professor last year that was an extremely amazing out-loud reader. He read Dracula to us every class (don't ask), and made doing work so much more fun. Wonder if he'd be interested in helping...
    edited August 2011
    In the case of this book it'd probably be ideal to get a girl actress to do the voice of Alice, and some sort of British dude to do the narration and other character voices. Stephen Fry again is the obvious ideal candidate, as always.

The argument between the caterpillar and Alice is a very entertaining bit.
  • turnitup321turnitup321 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4481687 said:
    We got to talking in another thread about what is considered "music" and someone mentioned how even spoken word can be considered "music".
    So i jokingly said "what if i record myself reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and submit it for playtesting"

Well it seemed to interest a few people (including an author who said he would chart it for me). So i want to see what other people thought about it.
    The plan would be to release the whole book as 12 separate tracks (one per chapter assuming i could read each chapter in under 10 minutes) and have them just be vocals.

Would it really be that crazy?

Is it in the public domain? If so, then you shouldn't have much trouble.

Is that idea crazy? Yes.

Is that idea COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY AWESOME?

YES.
    edited August 2011
    I just got the most silly and brilliant idea I have ever come up with:

In 2001 I won 2nd in the state for what is know as the Reading Rainbow Contest. It was a contest for K-3rd graders, and you had to write a story book, and I won 2nd place in Ohio for my grade level. I got to read my story for inclusion on PBS in Ohio.

What I'm thinking is what if I got my short story, as I read it back then (with a little kid's voice) and put it on RBn like MagicMurderBag7 was gonna do with Alice In Wonderland? I'll have to contact PBS and find out how this could work, but I think it'd be a fun way to revisit my childhood.

What do you guys think?
    edited August 2011
    I support you in your endeavor but unless it was exceptionally hilarious (like, Dexter and Computress Get Mandark hilarious) I do not think I'd buy it
  • edited August 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4482071 said:
    I just got the most silly and brilliant idea I have ever come up with:

In 2001 I won 2nd in the state for what is know as the Reading Rainbow Contest. It was a contest for K-3rd graders, and you had to write a story book, and I won 2nd place in Ohio for my grade level. I got to read my story for inclusion on PBS in Ohio.

What I'm thinking is what if I got my short story, as I read it back then (with a little kid's voice) and put it on RBn like MagicMurderBag7 was gonna do with Alice In Wonderland? I'll have to contact PBS and find out how this could work, but I think it'd be a fun way to revisit my childhood.

What do you guys think?
    How about if you take the story and use it as lyrics in one of your Chiptune songs.