RMB's Rock Band 4 Realistic Setlist Idea

RMBRMB Opening Act
edited December 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
This setlist actually took me quite a while and took some cooperation with other people to make it. I'm really hoping that the rest of you will at least enjoy the setlist. I know it doesn't have too many "deep cuts", but I believe it would be more accurate the way it is. Here is the list in order of decade and then alphabetical by band/artist.

[key] Artist "Song" (Album, year) - Genre [key]
Artist = lead female vocalist
"Song" = song doesn't include keys or pro keys
"Song" = song doesn't have bass or pro bass

'60s songs (6 songs)
Aretha Franklin "Respect" (I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You, 1967) - R&B/Soul/Funk
Bob Dylan "Like a Rolling Stone" (Highway 61 Revisited, 1965) - Classic Rock
Cream "White Room" (Wheels of Fire, 1968) - Classic Rock
The Lovin' Spoonful "Do You Believe in Magic" (Do You Believe in Magic, 1965) - Pop/Rock
Shocking Blue "Venus" (At Home, 1969) - Pop/Rock
The Zombies "Time of the Season" (Odessey and Oracle, 1968) - Pop/Rock

'70s songs (16 songs)
Bob Seger "Katmandu" (Beautiful Loser, 1976) - Classic Rock
Dan Fogelberg "Phoenix" (Phoenix, 1979) - Rock
Don McLean "American Pie" (American Pie, 1971) - Classic Rock
Edgar Winter Group "Free Ride" (They All Come Out at Night, 1972) - Classic Rock
Heart "Magic Man" (Dreamboat Annie, 1976) - Classic Rock
Jackson Browne "Running on Empty (Live)" (Running on Empty, 1977) - Classic Rock
KISS "I Was Made for Loving You" (Dynasty, 1979) - Classic Rock
Lynyrd Skynyrd "Call Me the Breeze (Live)" (One More From the Road, 1976) - Southern Rock
Manfred Mann's Earth Band "Blinded by the Light" (The Roaring Silence, 1976) - Prog
Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" (What's Going On, 1971) - R&B/Soul/Funk
Nazareth "Love Hurts" (The Very Best of Nazareth, 1975 (2008)) - Rock
The Rolling Stones "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" (It's Only Rock 'n Roll, 1974) - Classic Rock
Steely Dan "Reelin' in the Years" (Can't Buy a Thrill, 1972) - Classic Rock
The Stooges "Search and Destroy" (Raw Power, 1973) - Punk
Styx "Come Sail Away" (The Grand Illusion, 1977) - Classic Rock
Sweet "Fox on the Run" (Desolation Boulevard, 1974) - Glam

'80s songs (17 songs)
Blue Oyster Cult "Burnin' for You" (Fire of Unknown Origin, 1981) - Classic Rock
The Clash "Rock the Casbah" (Combat Rock, 1982) - Punk
Corey Hart "Sunglasses at Night" (First Offense, 1983) - New Wave
Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" (Brothers in Arms, 1985) - Rock
Genesis "Land of Confusion" (Invisible Hand, 1986) - Pop/Rock
Guns 'N Roses "Paradise City" (Appetite for Destruction, 1987) - Rock
Iron Maiden "Wrathchild" (Killers, 1981) - Metal
Men at Work "Who Can It Be Now?" (Business as Usual, 1981) - New Wave
The Outfield "Your Love" (Play Deep, 1985) - Pop/Rock
Ozzy Osbourne "Suicide Solution (Live)" (Tribute, 1987) - Metal
Philip Bailey and Phil Collins "Easy Lover" (Chinese Wall, 1984) - Pop/Rock
REO Speedwagon "Keep On Loving You" (The Hits, 1980 (1988)) - Rock
Rush "Freewill" (Permanent Waves, 1980) - Prog
Scandal "The Warrior" (The Warrior, 1984) - Pop/Rock
Slayer "Angel of Death" (Reign in Blood, 1986) - Metal
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble "Crossfire" (In Step, 1989) - Blues
The Waitresses "I Know What Boys Want" (Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful, 1982) - New Wave

'90s songs (16 songs)
Anthrax and Public Enemy "Bring the Noise" (Attack of the Killer B's, 1991) - Metal
Barenaked Ladies "One Week" (Stunt, 1998) - Rock
Cake "The Distance" (Fashion Nugget, 1996) - Alternative
Citizen King "Better Days (And the Bottom Drops Out)" (Mobile Estates, 1999) - Rock
Collective Soul "Shine" (Hints, Allegations and Things Left Unsaid, 1993) - Alternative
The Cranberries "Zombie" (No Need to Argue, 1994) - Alternative
Dream Theater "Pull Me Under" (Images and Words, 1992) - Prog
Jane's Addiction "Stop!" (Ritual de lo Habitual, 1990) - Alternative
Joan Osborne "One of Us" (Relish, 1995) - Rock
Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away" (5, 1998) - Rock
Neutral Milk Hotel "Holland, 1945" (In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, 1995) - Indie Rock
Nirvana "Heart-Shaped Box" (In Utero, 1993) - Grunge
R.E.M. "Everybody Hurts" (Automatic for the People, 1992) - Alternative
Sheryl Crow "All I Wanna Do" (Tuesday Night Music Club, 1993) - Rock
Temple of the Dog "Hunger Strike" (Temple of the Dog, 1991) - Grunge
They Might Be Giants "Birdhouse in Your Soul" (Flood, 1990) - Alternative

'00s songs (24 songs)
Alicia Keys "Like You'll Never See Me Again" (As I Am, 2007) - R&B/Soul/Funk
Bad Religion "Los Angeles is Burning" (The Empire Strikes First, 2004) - Punk
Blink-182 "Stay Together for the Kids" (Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, 2001) - Punk
Bullet for My Valentine "Hearts Burst into Fire" (Scream Aim Fire, 2008) - Metal
The Fray "How to Save a Life" (How to Save a Life, 2005) - Rock
Kenji Ohtsuki and Fumihiko Kitsutaka "Odoru Akachan Ningen" (Odoru Akachan Ningen, 2006) - J-Rock
KT Tunstall "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" (Eye to the Telescope, 2004) - Rock
Maroon 5 "Harder to Breathe" (Songs About Jane, 2002) - Pop/Rock
Matchbook Romance "Monsters" (Voices, 2007) - Emo
Megadeth "A Tout le Monde" (United Abominations, 2007) - Metal
Modest Mouse "Dashboard" (We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, 2007) - Indie Rock
Muse "Stockholm Syndrome" (Absolution, 2003) - Alternative
My Chemical Romance "Helena" (Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, 2004) - Emo
Nickelback "Gotta Be Somebody" (Dark Horse, 2008) - Rock
Nightwish "Amaranth" (Dark Passion Play, 2007) - Metal
The Offspring "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" (Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, 2008) - Rock
P!nk "Funhouse" (Funhouse, 2008) - Pop/Rock
Paramore "Ignorance" Brand New Eyes, 2009) - Pop/Rock
Rage Against the Machine "Renegades of Funk" (Renegades, 2000) - Alternative
Shania Twain "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" (Up!, 2002) - Country
Silversun Pickups "There's No Secrets This Year" (Swoon, 2009) - Indie Rock
Slipknot "The Nameless" (Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses, 2004) - Metal
Sum 41 "Fat Lip" (All Killer No Filler, 2001) - Punk
Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Gold Lion" (Show Your Bones, 2006) - Rock

'10s songs (5 songs)
The Decemberists "This Is Why We Fight" (The King is Dead, 2011) - Indie Rock
Disturbed "The Infection" (Asylum, 2010) - Metal
Serj Tankian "Left of Center" (Imperfect Harmonies, 2010) - Prog
Sublime with Rome "Panic" (Yours Truly, 2011) - Reggae/Ska
Theory of a Deadman "Lowlife" (The Truth Is..., 2011) - Rock

21 songs have no keys or pro keys parts
1 song has no bass or pro bass

Genre Break-Down:
Rock - 15
Pop/Rock - 10
Classic Rock - 12
Alternative - 8
Grunge - 2
Metal - 9
J-Rock - 1
Reggae/Ska - 1
Punk - 5
Indie Rock - 4
Prog - 4
R&B/Soul/Funk - 3
Country - 1
Emo - 2
New Wave - 3
Blues - 1
Glam - 1
Southern Rock - 1

Songs that have been added since this setlists creation include:
"Heart-Shaped Box" X - added on 9/20/2011
"Rock the Casbah" X - added on 10/11/2011
"Stay Together for the Kids" - added on 10/11/2011

Comments

• 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    edited August 2011
  • rocky713rocky713 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    If anything, I'd say your assortment is...er...very strange to me. I mean, having one song with no bass, and instead of making a note, you color code it on it's on. I'm not saying the song choice is bad, I'm just saying it. And also, you didn't need another color code for female vocalists.

As for the setlist itself, some good, some bad, some personal choices that I thought would help the list...but, there were a few good choices I'd love to have in the game. The setlist is good, with a good bit of variety.

For as my final verdict: 4.1 out of 5
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited August 2011
    First off, small typo: the 's' in The Zombies. Oh, and it's Corey Hart, not Cory.

Secondly, super great setlist. Very well made. Favorite choices are Bob Dylan, Cream, The Lovin' Spoonful, The Zombies, Don McLean, Edgar Winter Group, Heart, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Nazareth, The Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Styx, Sweet, Corey Hart, Blue Oyster Cult, Dire Straits, The Clash, Genesis, Men At Work, REO Speedwagon, Cake, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sheryl Crow, R.E.M., KT Tunstall, They Might Be Giants, The Fray, Maroon 5, Shania Twain, and especially Barenaked Ladies. So yeah, I like a lot of your choices. There is also a good amount of variety, so only the really cranky people won't be happy.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    TheStuddz;4482003 said:
    First off, small typo: the 's' in The Zombies. Oh, and it's Corey Hart, not Cory.

Secondly, super great setlist. Very well made. Favorite choices are Bob Dylan, Cream, The Lovin' Spoonful, The Zombies, Don McLean, Edgar Winter Group, Heart, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Nazareth, The Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Styx, Sweet, Corey Hart, Blue Oyster Cult, Dire Straits, The Clash, Genesis, Men At Work, REO Speedwagon, Cake, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sheryl Crow, R.E.M., KT Tunstall, They Might Be Giants, The Fray, Maroon 5, Shania Twain, and especially Barenaked Ladies. So yeah, I like a lot of your choices. There is also a good amount of variety, so only the really cranky people won't be happy.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I appreciate you taking the effort to write all that you did. I especially appreciate the fact that you pointed out the slight typo. I'm very anal when it comes to the accuracy of spelling and grammar. :P But yeah, thanks again.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    rocky713;4481995 said:
    If anything, I'd say your assortment is...er...very strange to me. I mean, having one song with no bass, and instead of making a note, you color code it on it's on. I'm not saying the song choice is bad, I'm just saying it. And also, you didn't need another color code for female vocalists.

As for the setlist itself, some good, some bad, some personal choices that I thought would help the list...but, there were a few good choices I'd love to have in the game. The setlist is good, with a good bit of variety.

For as my final verdict: 4.1 out of 5

I didn't think of this until after I included the song "How to Save a Life", but the whole "one song without a bass or pro bass part" kind of settles the odd arrangement that "Imagine" (one of my favorite songs ever, so I'm not complaining at all) started in Rock Band 3. Thank you for the criticism. I really like to hear from everyone.
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited August 2011
    I'm pretty sure that Megadeth's album Youthanasia was released 1994, not 1996. Also overall it's really good, but I don't like the Metal selction after the 90's. Overall 3.5/5. 2.5/5 is what I'd rate the metal selection based on my tastes. But I just don't plain like some kinds of metal which others do, so I wouldn't say to change it.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    MegaIronDragonDeth;4482036 said:
    I'm pretty sure that Megadeth's album Youthanasia was released 1994, not 1996. Also overall it's really good, but I don't like the Metal selction after the 90's. Overall 3.5/5. 2.5/5 is what I'd rate the metal selection based on my tastes. But I just don't plain like some kinds of metal which others do, so I wouldn't say to change it.

Good catch about that album release year. I understand that I didn't have the greatest post-'90s metal song choices, but I cut out ALOT of stuff from the original setlist. There was stuff I didn't want to cut out, but I was going for a "more realistic" Rock Band 4 setlist, and some of the choices didn't make too much sense. I hear what you're saying though, and I thank you for saying it.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    More comments and suggestions would be most welcome.
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Oh, and REO's 1980 album, in which Keep On Loving You was on, was called Hi-Infidelity.
  • rocky713rocky713 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    ...I guess I'll comment again, even though I've already reviewed...

I wouldn't mind an entire view of how many songs are on the list total. Since I'm too lazy to count, do it for me...

Another thing, why pick a Sublime with Rome song? I'm not saying it's bad, but it's like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. It's just not the same. I wouldn't mind seeing a regular Sublime song (or just more ska music in general. Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, so on and so forth.)

What else...?

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, or a DLC thread, or a LRB2 list or something of the sorts. You've done a fantastic job with this one, I wanna see if you can follow through with a second. And, if you need help, you can send you me message and I'll give you some ideas.

And...er...yeah/ Thumbs up.
  • coolsnoopy97coolsnoopy97 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I actually really like it, I'd definitely buy it. It's one of the few setlists that has a real good metal selection (ANGEL OF DEATH!!!) and the classic rock is excellent as well. Hell, I'd buy it if the only good song there was Blinded by the Light.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Nightwish, nice! I like this a lot. A couple thoughts.

If your goal is realism, I'm guessing a studio verison of "Wrathchild" is unlikely. It would probably be live with Bruce instead of Paul on vocals. On Iron Maiden's more recent greatest hits collections, songs with Paul (or Blaze) on vocals are replaced with live versions sung by Bruce, and I have a feeling this would extend to RB as well. I'd prefer the original version myself, but like I said, a live version seems like the more realistic outcome.

Also, have you considered the 2007 version of "A Tout Le Monde?" Not that's it better or anything, but it does have Cristina Scabbia as a second vocalist and thus would be nice for harmonies.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Plutarch;4482601 said:
    Nightwish, nice! I like this a lot. A couple thoughts.

If your goal is realism, I'm guessing a studio verison of "Wrathchild" is unlikely. It would probably be live with Bruce instead of Paul on vocals. On Iron Maiden's more recent greatest hits collections, songs with Paul (or Blaze) on vocals are replaced with live versions sung by Bruce, and I have a feeling this would extend to RB as well. I'd prefer the original version myself, but like I said, a live version seems like the more realistic outcome.

Also, have you considered the 2007 version of "A Tout Le Monde?" Not that's it better or anything, but it does have Cristina Scabbia as a second vocalist and thus would be nice for harmonies.

What's funny is the fact that I considered both of those suggestions before I finished the setlist, but since the masters from the other albums from Iron Maiden were used (under the title of the Flight 666 tour pack), I thought I'd just put the Killers album version on Wrathchild in the setlist. Also, about the "A Tout le Monde", I do like Cristina Scabbia's vocals, I really do, but I was trying to fill the slot for '90s metal and I rather enjoy the original. I know I was trying to make a "realistic" setlist, but it's hard not to go with personal preference when it's your list. :P Thank you for the thoughts, the feedback is wonderful.

Also, did you like the setlist overall? Just curious.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    rocky713;4482527 said:
    ...I guess I'll comment again, even though I've already reviewed...

I wouldn't mind an entire view of how many songs are on the list total. Since I'm too lazy to count, do it for me...

Another thing, why pick a Sublime with Rome song? I'm not saying it's bad, but it's like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. It's just not the same. I wouldn't mind seeing a regular Sublime song (or just more ska music in general. Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, so on and so forth.)

What else...?

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, or a DLC thread, or a LRB2 list or something of the sorts. You've done a fantastic job with this one, I wanna see if you can follow through with a second. And, if you need help, you can send you me message and I'll give you some ideas.

And...er...yeah/ Thumbs up.
    First, there are 84 songs in the setlist. I wasn't sure of whether or not to number each song, so I ended up putting how many songs were in each decade (a little simpler, but not simplest). Second, "Panic" by Sublime with Rome is a fine song that would fit all the instrument parts rather well. Granted Sublime was an amazing ska band, but the only song I could think of by them to use was "Santeria", and I was really trying to avoid using too many "Guitar Hero songs". Third and lastly, after a few more comments (hopefully none bad, only one "kinda bad" so far) I'm going to make a release DLC list exclusively featuring artists that were used in my Rock Band 4 setlist. The DLC will also be as realistic as possible, meaning there won't be twenty albums from the artists on my list (lol). If that DLC list is well-received, then I'll continue other "wishful DLCs" from there. Thanks for the compliments again. :)
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I did like the overall setlist a great deal. There were a handful of songs I don't care for, but in a way that makes it more realistic haha.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Any and all comments, questions, or thoughts would be much appreciated.
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Doesn't "How To Save A Life" have bass in the chorus parts?
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    CanuckGamer;4484000 said:
    Doesn't "How To Save A Life" have bass in the chorus parts?

There's two six-string guitars, neither of them are a bass guitar. Rhythm guitars haven't been counted as bass (except in RBN), so I don't think it should count in my setlist.
  • ArchelonArchelon Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    According to an interview with Lars Ulrich before the release of Guitar Hero Metallica, Angel of Death would either be outright rejected or censored beyond reason for its lyrical content.

Which sucks especially when you consider that, since there's no outright profanity, they would have to censor whole phrases or words.

Not to mention the whole exercise is moot if RB4 doesn't support double bass drumming.

I would suggest a song like Metal Storm/Face The Slayer.
  • coolsnoopy97coolsnoopy97 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I always found it silly that Angel of Death was rejected for Guitar Hero: Metallica. There are some dark lyrical content in other Rock Band songs and the only Slayer song on the game, Black Magic, is, after all, about black magic.

I do understand how the content could be an issue, though.
  • ArchelonArchelon Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    Oh, I think it should be. In fact it seems to be the single-most requested rhythm game song to me. But I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't accepted, but we still need more Slayer songs in Rock Band aside from the measly one. (for what it's worth Black Magic is one of my favorite guitar songs on
    Expert, even though I usually don't play on Expert guitar)
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    Archelon;4485514 said:
    According to an interview with Lars Ulrich before the release of Guitar Hero Metallica, Angel of Death would either be outright rejected or censored beyond reason for its lyrical content.

Which sucks especially when you consider that, since there's no outright profanity, they would have to censor whole phrases or words.

Not to mention the whole exercise is moot if RB4 doesn't support double bass drumming.

I would suggest a song like Metal Storm/Face The Slayer.

Granted, the lyrical content is intense, but so intense as to be "too" censored to have in a Rock Band game, I don't think so. Without an actual source to go off of, I'm going to leave my Slayer choice as it is.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    I do believe I will also post a LEGO: Rock Band 2 setlist on here as well at some point. I will not use tracks already on the Rock Band 4 setlist and will have the said LRB2 setlist consist of 63 songs with 49 of the songs having keys (exculding two tiers). I will incorporate which celebrities will also appear within the proposed LRB2 game.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    I have a decent amount of songs collected for the LEGO: Rock Band 2 setlist I'm making, but if any of you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Also, anyone who actually guesses any of my picks for my LEGO: Rock Band 2 setlist will be notified and I'll post the accurate songs in the next post.
  • Pretender138Pretender138 Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    I love this setlist. I really hope rock band 4 has all of this!!!
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Pretender138;4497531 said:
    I love this setlist. I really hope rock band 4 has all of this!!!

Thanks. Any and all praise is more than welcome. Having said that, any and all criticisms are also welcome.

As a side-note, since "Heart-Shaped Box" was released as DLC recently, I'm changing that pick to "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" by Pearl Jam. It fits the decade, genre, coolness ( :P ), and the lack of keys. Plus it wasn't one of the songs on the "URL hacked" leaked songs.
  • WestLakeDragonWestLakeDragon Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    The song Money for Nothing by Dire Straits has some controversy with it, in Canada it was almost banned. (Go to 1:55 in the youtube video)

The song itself is great but I don't know if they'd use it in favor of another Dire Straits song for simplicity's sake, probably Sultans of Swing.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    WestLakeDragon;4510758 said:
    The song Money for Nothing by Dire Straits has some controversy with it, in Canada it was almost banned. (Go to 1:55 in the youtube video)

The song itself is great but I don't know if they'd use it in favor of another Dire Straits song for simplicity's sake, probably Sultans of Swing.

I was considering using "Sultans of Swing" for me LEGO: Rock Band 2 setlist. Besides, "Money for Nothing" was all right for Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited October 2011
    Serj Tankian isn't prog.

Plus your metal choices are underwhelming to say the least.

Lose the dark blue font too, I can't read it without highlighting the text.
  • RMBRMB Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4512104 said:
    Serj Tankian isn't prog.

Plus your metal choices are underwhelming to say the least.

Lose the dark blue font too, I can't read it without highlighting the text.

1. Apparently the songs off of Imperfect Harmonies are considered progressive. I was skeptical at first too, but I came to terms with it.
    2. The metal artist in the setlist include Disturbed, Iron Maiden, BFMV, Nightwish, three of the Big 4, and more, so I don't know what more you want from me. Death metal? Like Rock Band 2's "Visions" by Abnormality, also known as the most complained about part of that game. No thank you.
    3. You must have something wrong with your vision or with your computer, because I haven't heard anyone else complain about my methods of highlighting. I think it's a much easier way to distinguish what changes a song has compared to others.

Also, I really want more people to comment and leave more good criticism for me to read. Thank you all very much.