I've gotten into a cycle of looking the same places for music... help

WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
edited August 2011 in History of Rock
Hey folks! Long time no see. Of course, a lot of you probably won't know me but that's all cool.

My music intake as of late has been primarily shaped by the record store I work at and the stuff that gets sent to me by labels for my radio show. I do a little searching for other stuff outside of these venues, but not much. It has actually resulted in my musical depth becoming much smaller, as there is only so much that I can cover.

I want to ask you all what I need to listen to that isn't on a decent sized label or getting fairly good distribution. While I've heard a lot from this year, I haven't heard nearly as much as I'd like. Oh, and I'm looking for stuff that's of any genre, but which I'll be able to at least find without looking too hard.

Please help me!

Comments

• MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited August 2011
    These guys only had 118 listeners on Last FM as of today when I listened to them, but Atriarch's Forever The End is an amazing doom album.

I'm not sure when exactly it came out, but there's a a rehearsal tape of the guy from Weakling's band Dispirit which is really, really good. (If you like Weakling, that is)

Another source I enjoy for more obscure (usually) stuff is the blog Cosmic Hearse which is run by Aesop Dekker of Ludicra. This is for older stuff though, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Sorry if you've heard any of this stuff.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited August 2011
    www.turntable.fm

You should come spin with all the HOR regulars. Myself, stasis, hungryfreak, a21, lameboy, supernova, pizza7, roach, rbf, lor, jbh, gowi, etc... and sometimes with special guests like Meatwad, schmeak, ult, busson, runesmith, Siara, Quinavry, etc... (sorry if I left anyone out, been a looooooong day)

Tons of music trading happening in there. psych rock. punk. glam. new wave. gazegaze. Everything.

Also www.thegorgon.com. My articles specifically, as I am the best person ever. No just kidding, check out a lot of the 2011 stuff in there. (http://www.thegorgon.com/category/album-reviews/year/2010s/) We're on a bit of a summer hiatus but i promises more coming soon.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited August 2011
    WhiffleBallTony;4482066 said:
    Hey folks! Long time no see. Of course, a lot of you probably won't know me but that's all cool.

My music intake as of late has been primarily shaped by the record store I work at and the stuff that gets sent to me by labels for my radio show. I do a little searching for other stuff outside of these venues, but not much. It has actually resulted in my musical depth becoming much smaller, as there is only so much that I can cover.

I want to ask you all what I need to listen to that isn't on a decent sized label or getting fairly good distribution. While I've heard a lot from this year, I haven't heard nearly as much as I'd like. Oh, and I'm looking for stuff that's of any genre, but which I'll be able to at least find without looking too hard.

Please help me!

download everything the label Count Your Lucky Stars released. Also everything Topshelf Records has put out, 6131 is pretty cool as well.

most of this is emo/hardcore/skramz
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited August 2011
    MrFruitLord;4482097 said:
    These guys only had 118 listeners on Last FM as of today when I listened to them, but Atriarch's Forever The End is an amazing doom album.

I'm not sure when exactly it came out, but there's a a rehearsal tape of the guy from Weakling's band Dispirit which is really, really good. (If you like Weakling, that is)

Another source I enjoy for more obscure (usually) stuff is the blog Cosmic Hearse which is run by Aesop Dekker of Ludicra. This is for older stuff though, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Sorry if you've heard any of this stuff.
    I'll check those out. Sank you.
    Onslaught_fei;4482116 said:
    www.turntable.fm

You should come spin with all the HOR regulars. Myself, stasis, hungryfreak, a21, lameboy, supernova, pizza7, roach, rbf, lor, jbh, gowi, etc... and sometimes with special guests like Meatwad, schmeak, ult, busson, runesmith, Siara, Quinavry, etc... (sorry if I left anyone out, been a looooooong day)

Tons of music trading happening in there. psych rock. punk. glam. new wave. gazegaze. Everything.

Also www.thegorgon.com. My articles specifically, as I am the best person ever. No just kidding, check out a lot of the 2011 stuff in there. (http://www.thegorgon.com/category/album-reviews/year/2010s/) We're on a bit of a summer hiatus but i promises more coming soon.
    How do I get into the Turntable.fm thing? Sounds cool.

And The Gorgon looks like a great music blog. I'll keep tabs on that. My top go-to blog recently got shut down by Wordpress, so I'm kinda out in the open there.
    Lameboy19;4482155 said:
    download everything the label Count Your Lucky Stars released. Also everything Topshelf Records has put out, 6131 is pretty cool as well.

most of this is emo/hardcore/skramz
    Not really my stuff, but I'll give it a look.
    afterstasis;4482189 said:
    Here and here.
    Mother of god you have a lot of ratings. I don't think I'll ever understand how you manage to listen to so much music.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited August 2011
    You have to know someone on facebook to get into the turntable beta. You can add me on facebook. /onslaught_fei