devin townsend - ZTO (RB3 version)

ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
edited November 2012 in The Rock Band Network
Hey everyone,

Starting this thread to see how many people would be for or opposed to TAG releasing an RB3 version of ZTO, so give it a chance to get ported to the PS3, and to give people on the PS3 a chance of owning the entire album.

PLEASE NOTE, IF an RB3 version does come to fruition, it will NOT contain keys, the charts will more then likely be identical to the currently released version (there won't be a 2x bass version of the RB3 version..), but with added harmonies.

we've been discussion weather or not it's worth putting out an RB3 version, and would love community input on weather or not we should do it.

tl;dr, ZTO RB3 version, will have harmonies but NO KEYS, to give it a shot to port to the PS3. Yay or Nay?

EDIT: the awesome people at TAG are actually trying to figure out if there is a ziltoid thing they can do with keys. stay tuned!

Comments

• PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I wouldn't buy it, because it's the worst & shortest song on the album by far, and it's just not worth to spend 160msp total for.

In my opinion you should wait till at least some of the Ziltoid tracks port over to the PS3 at all, before you pump out redundant song versions, because the current Ziltoid song count on the PS3 is 0.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2011
    unless you're adding keys, don't bother.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Would be cool to get, especially since the old version wasn't ported to PS3, thus the album cannot be completed on that console.

That said, I'd buy it.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Perhaps they could fix the non 2x drums then?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2011
    Just out of curiosity what's wrong with the drums?
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4485228 said:
    ...Nothing? I had no problems with the drums.

I bought the RB3 version of Africa for pro drums and harmonies, but I draw the line at paying a dollar(+) for just harmonies.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2011
    Pankrazzo;4485091 said:
    I wouldn't buy it, because it's the worst & shortest song on the album by far, and it's just not worth to spend 160msp total for.

Introductions and interludes are common in many progressive albums.

It has no intention to be a song, just to build up to the album itself, and that said, no, don't bother with an RB3 version.
    edited August 2011
    The only reason we were even considering it was because it was the introduction of the entire Ziltoid attacks Rock Band concept. Obviously without being privy to HMX's plans we don't know how much of the album (if any) is going to make the jump to PS3. It would just seem odd if they got multiple tracks from the album and without ZTO would have no idea why an obnoxious british sounding coffee junkie was yelling at them ;)

I guess we'll just see how much of the album migrates and then take it from there, because we were doing this solely to get the track to the PS3 and not to milk 360 users who already had a perfectly acceptable copy of the song.
  • MaGna720MaGna720 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I'd buy it. I only recently started picking up the Ziltoid tracks after Ziltoidia Attaxx, and I'm interested in completing the album. I'm also a fan of harmonies, and seeing as I don't have ZTO already and that the new version will include harmonies, I'd definitely pick it up, at the very least for the sake of completing the album.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I'm a huge Townsend fan and think that Ziltoid is by far one of his best albums, but I wouldn't rebuy ZTO simply because it's just an intro for the album with not that much going on.
  • BathTubBathTub Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I guess I would buy it, simply because I haven't picked up ZTO yet.
    edited September 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4485228 said:
    I apologize for zoning out and missing this. I've heard a few people complain about the reduction of the double bass and I strongly agree. Just before the ZIIIILLTOOID each time there is a row of blues with three bass hits. For the reduction it should have only been two hits. You are playing one hit of the left foot.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    NoThru22;4492201 said:
    I apologize for zoning out and missing this. I've heard a few people complain about the reduction of the double bass and I strongly agree. Just before the ZIIIILLTOOID each time there is a row of blues with three bass hits. For the reduction it should have only been two hits. You are playing one hit of the left foot.

I remember when we authored this. The reason for the third kick was to reinforce the accent on the beat, without removing the triplet feel that the second kick represents. Nobody on creator's had complained about it then, and IDK if the authoring community would feel any different at this point.
    edited September 2011
    I can see an argument for keeping it in but that argument kind of gets blown out of the water when there are 2x versions available. It's not a playability thing, it's a comfort thing. It just feels weird to me. I still like playing the song and have played the other Ziltoid songs, but that part annoys me.
    edited September 2012
    (Wow, almost a year to the day since the last post...)

Well, there's a few Ziltoid songs now available on the PS3 (By Your Command, Ziltoidia Attaxx, and Hyperdrive); the temporary TAG Blitz sale currently discounts all of the songs to a dollar on the 360, which should eventually cross over to the PS3 store. I think now is as good a time as ever to revisit the conversation...

So, PS3 users, has anything changed in your opinion over the past 12 months about the desire for an RB3 version of ZTO? It would be the only way for it to be portable, and may encourage completion of the album to the PS3 store. And with the discounted price active for ~90 days (if/when it kicks in), there's plenty of time for those songs to be chosen to port if interest is high enough.

EDIT: Don't think you're being ignored, 360 users. I know you aren't too keen on buying a song a second time for only harmonies, and that's not an invalid opinion to hold. If it goes through, I would be understanding enough if it hardly sold on the 360, as long as PS3 users will get the opportunity to have what they want.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I'd still love to see a RB3 Version.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Give me a RB3 version and the rest of the album and I will never complain about anything ever again
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I'd be cool with it, would give us PS3 folk a chance to get it.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2012
    I don't like the idea of RB3 versions for the sole purpose of a PS3 port because there's no guarantee that it will get ported, and if the main reason for that is to get a complete album, there's no guarantee that all the other songs will get ported over.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Yep, go for it. After getting a few of the Ziltoid tracks, I'm a big fan, and I would love the chance to get this song. In fact, it was in my latest top ten requests to get ported to the PS3, until I realized it was RBN1. I know 360 users wouldn't be at all interested, but as long as it isn't too much extra work on your part to put it out so they we can get a shot at it, that would be very much appreciated!
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    as xbox user, i would get it.

but mostly because i bought the 2xbass version when it first came out. (didn't have drums yet back then) and this is a good reason to get a normal version :p
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    give me (and all the other PS3ers) a RB3 version of ZTO, and the rest of the RBN2 Ziltoid stuff that can port over and I will be very happy.
    edited September 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4876848 said:
    I don't like the idea of RB3 versions for the sole purpose of a PS3 port because there's no guarantee that it will get ported, and if the main reason for that is to get a complete album, there's no guarantee that all the other songs will get ported over.

Yeah, that would be the next step: talking with HMXLachesis about the album's... "portability" (for lack of a better term) and likelihood it would be ported. Judging by the songs that have ported over, it seems plausible that the goal is/was to port all of the songs. There's several songs that are much less dependent on the ghost vocals gimmick and/or have less dialogue than the songs already available (which focus on the earlier end of the album)

But there's no point in discussing it with her if nobody's gonna buy it. :/
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    DavyinaToga;4876888 said:

But there's no point in discussing it with her if nobody's gonna buy it. :/

But...but...I'LL buy it! Seriously, "moar Devin Townsend" is a pretty popular request on the PS3 request thread. I would guess that the vast majority of the RBN purchasing PS3 players would buy anything from Devin Townsend, and would love to have the album in it's entirety. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but if we could get the 99 cent deal with the TAG songs, and an all Devin Townsend week, we could be looking at one of the most popular PS3 RBN weeks in a very long time. Maybe if we could talk Lachesis into a two or three song DT week as a test run, and proceed with ZTO if it goes well enough, maybe that could be a deciding factor. I dunno, I'm just throwing out ideas. Bottom line is, I hope you guys don't give up on ZTO.

And hey, Jibs will even buy it on the 360, so there's that...
    edited November 2012
    Bumping this to say now would be an appropriate time to do this.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    TubaDude49;4918145 said:
    Bumping this to say now would be an appropriate time to do this.

Agreed
    edited November 2012
    Yeah we'll have to figure out a way to make this work. We don't have separated harmony or keys stems, but I'm sure we can figure out some Ziltoid way to get them in there and make it work in the context of the album (ziltoid screwing with RB, and ZTO being the worst of all since he's showing his ass over what he's done to the game).

So we'll start brainstorming on what we can do with the harms and keys in the spirit of Ziltoid and get a RB3 version.
    edited November 2012
    Couple of ideas for keys:
    During blank spots use a bunch of random lane shift notes to make thr track spaz up and down.
    Use ghost keys: have the player tap out morse code messages on a single key.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2012
    Was the new Ziltoid dialog baked onto the 'background music' stem, or was it given to you on its own track? Because if that's separate, then I think you could get away with just using the bg track as a keys stem and charting anything that makes sense to chart. Wouldn't be any weirder than the guitar solo baked onto the drum track in I Can See For Miles.