Check it--a Pro G Chart on an RBN song (not for sale--yet :))

mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
edited August 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Matt Rasmussen, founding member and guitarist of the band Rose of Jericho (8 songs so far in RBN), posted an excellent video review of the Squier 5 months ago (Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3). An admitted tech geek and avid player of RB, Matt really liked pro guitar, and since that review has posted several clips of himself playing pro charts with the Squier (with an inset of the rolling chart) on the band's YouTube channel.

Of particular interest is something that I just saw on that channel yesterday (looking for links to his review to post in a reply here): this clip of Matt playing a pro guitar chart for "Buried Cold", one of Rose of Jericho's RBN songs. Tools for authoring pro guitar charts aren't supposed to be available to RBN authors, but apparently there are some :D. Cool to see a guy playing his own music in the game :cool:. (It's notable that he breaks streak several times--what's up that??? If you can't FC your own composition :rolleyes:...).

Dare we hope that we'll see pro g/b charts in RBN tracks in the near future? (And legacy upgrades, too--I've already double dipped for "Buried Cold", buying the original in May last year and a recently released RB3 version in April).

Comments

• Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2011
    As cool as it is, the lack of Pro Guitar/Bass play testers really hinders the prospect of upgrades for RBN songs. I mean, as far as I know.
    And I don't even think it's possible to make pro upgrades due to the way HMX made RBN2.0. But of course, I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure that that's the case.
    Sorry man :(
  • silenttype01silenttype01 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    I don't think there would be a big need to playtest a song if the band members provide the tabs for their own songs and accommodating it to the Rock Band engine.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    I'd love to do this with my releases, but my songs are all MIDI synths, and I don't know the tabs for all the other songs I'm working/will be working with.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2011
    mikeyts;4486528 said:
    Dare we hope that we'll see pro g/b charts in RBN tracks in the near future?

The most recent comment on this matter from HMX came less than a week ago on Creators:

"At this time, there are no plans to support Pro Guitar/Bass on RBN."

So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I wasn't seriously anticipating that we'd get pro g/b charts for RBN songs anytime soon; I posted this because I thought it was interesting that people in the RBN community have figured out how to created them. This is the first I've seen that was authored by someone outside of HMX--I think that's cool in and of itself.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    The weirdest part is that the writer and main guitarist of the song miss some notes. Why can't HMX make authors release supplementary upgrades if they are available? Because it would be pain for PS3 users?
  • rose_of_jerichorose_of_jericho Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    hey guys - we did have a long discussion on the RBN forums on the future of RBN pro upgrades and the real problem is upgrading the currently RBN pipeline to deal with pro guitar upgrades. it would require a lot of effort on HMX's side to include the pro guitar stuff - and the return on investment would be very limited. so for now we'll just have to wait.

as for the performance of the part - i literally finished the chart, uploaded it to my xbox and played it. The chart was not up to HMX standards... I've actually redone the chart to fix a couple mistakes and make the chart more HMX standard (such as including strum bars in the chorus). I'm able to do a lot better on my fixed chart and I might post another vid of it.

Glad you guys like it though - I was freaking out the first time that I saw it working on my xbox
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    silenttype01;4486533 said:
    I don't think there would be a big need to playtest a song if the band members provide the tabs for their own songs and accommodating it to the Rock Band engine.

And when they don't? Then what?
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I assisted Matt slightly in the ways of Pro Guitar and Bass authoring. Basically his video is a "custom", just done on an official song. RBN Pro Upgrades will probably never happen as the pipeline just can't support it. His video along with our video for Zombies!! are mere proof of concept videos and should not be taken as something you'll see coming in the future.
  • SeattleSauveSeattleSauve Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    rose_of_jericho;4486632 said:
    Glad you guys like it though - I was freaking out the first time that I saw it working on my xbox

Really glad you posted it!
  • SeattleSauveSeattleSauve Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    Matt, since you're probably reading the thread... any chance you'll be putting up any more pro vids of DLC, or on disc songs played with the Squier? Your Blink 182 vid was pretty sweet.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    mikeyts;4486528 said:
    ...Matt really liked pro guitar, and since that review has posted several clips of himself playing pro charts with the Squier (with an inset of the rolling chart) on the band's YouTube channel.
    Sorry for that gaffe--apparently it was only one, other than the one we're talking about. I don't know why, but I thought I'd seen a few. Matt, did you have a second YouTube channel?
  • rose_of_jerichorose_of_jericho Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    wesjett08;4486670 said:
    I assisted Matt slightly in the ways of Pro Guitar and Bass authoring.
    I definitely want to give credit to Wes as he helped me greatly in completing my chart. His video of Zombies is what got me to get off my ass and make Buried Cold.
    SeattleSauve;4486702 said:
    Matt, since you're probably reading the thread... any chance you'll be putting up any more pro vids of DLC, or on disc songs played with the Squier?
    mikeyts;4486714 said:
    Sorry for that gaffe--apparently it was only one, other than the one we're talking about. I don't know why, but I thought I'd seen a few. Matt, did you have a second YouTube channel?
    Hey guys...yes there is another youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/roseofjerichoRB

I made that channel since I was posting other people's music I didn't want to take the risk of having the ROJ channel shutdown for copyright violations. I would very much like to do more videos (in fact I made a video for killing loneliness about a month ago) I just haven't had the time to post it. We're in the process of playing shows and prepping to to go into the studio for our next album so my time has become really limited.

Our RB fans have been so supportive that I'm always trying stay active in the community. Maybe I can get a couple vids up in the next couple weeks. I'm thrilled that you guys like them that much that you're requesting more!
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited August 2011
    silenttype01;4486533 said:
    There's still the matter of the lower difficulties.
  • Pointblank41Pointblank41 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    I've seen some pretty neat custome pro guitar charts for existing songs in rock band. I hope that harmonix at some point will officially allow outsiders to contribute their work but as stated in this thread, it probably won't happen.

It's still neat to see people taking such an interest in it, pro guitar is an absolutely amazing learning tool, it just needs a greater song selection to really be great.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Technically there are three RBN songs that have pro upgrades: Hourcast - Freakshow, Johnny Cooper - Don't Feel Like That Anymore, The Gracious Few - Appetite but I don't think there's any way to get them outside of the Schick codes that are probably defunct by now. They are completely separate songs from their RBN versions.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited August 2011
    I understand the gripe against Pro guitar in rbn is accuracy and lack of play testing, but couldn't they make an exception if the song is charted by the band themselves or if the tab is sent to the rbn authors by the band? Its not like pro keys where they have to be crammed into 2 octaves or reimagined like legacy charting seeing how its 1 to 1 from the tab.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    rose_of_jericho;4486764 said:
    I definitely want to give credit to Wes as he helped me greatly in completing my chart. His video of Zombies is what got me to get off my ass and make Buried Cold.

I'm just glad another RBN author decided to stick their neck out with us! :p