Nathaniel Whitlock's (Errortunes6090) RBN official thread.

DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
edited May 2013 in The Rock Band Network
Hi, I'm Nathan. You may know me from my videos and music, and now you will know me from the ROCK BAND NETWORK!!!!! Yes, I will keep making music, I have dragged all my attention to the RBN from now and then.

My Songs
DeferredGalaxy3/AGLSolutions
The Main Thing (FF) - Song Preview - Buy
I'm Nekkid (2x Bass Pedal) (SR) - Song Preview
Summer Fun (Ft. Yogurt with Sprinkles and DangimaRocker)

GigakoopsRBN
The Feeling You Get When You Have A Happy Moment (FF) - Song Preview
Amazing (SR) - Song Preview
I Really Wish I Hadn't Had To See That (FF) - Song Preview

AskariNari
Snow Zombies [NSFR Mix] (Feat. Askari Nari) (SR) - Song Preview

Have Fun Rockin'!

Song I'm Authoring:
These are songs I have authored for other people!
Tyler Green
Lifestyles of the Poor and Obscure (FF)

...And more coming soon...

Comments

• joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    I will have the art finished withing this week... my guess is it will be finished by Sunday. Your art is looking great... monkeys and cheeseballs what more can you want :D
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    It's official that The Big Fight (Ft. Raymond Gullible) is going in on Rock Band!
    edited September 2011
    Hey your art is completed check your email
    edited September 2011
    I got the new album artwork.

OLD:

NEW:

Thanks to joescorpion for the new picture! :)
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    DeferredGalaxy3;4493576 said:
    I got the new album artwork.

OLD:

NEW:

Thanks to joescorpion for the new picture! :)

MUCH better. Impressive, Scorpion!
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Now your music MUST come to the PS3 because I want that album cover on my game. LOL.
    edited September 2011
    "The Big Fight" Will be cancelled due to having a bunch more hates than the rest. Sorry to those who thought it was good, but this one wasn't as good as my other ones. :(

I kind of agree, this one sucked.

PS It's not going in my new album, either.
    edited September 2011
    I thought it was.... interesting. Until the chorus which is just awful, to be honest. Your other stuff, while usually pretty repetitive, is pretty good.
    edited September 2011
    Ok listening to your music,I think you could make it better by writing lyrics.
    I just love reading the lyrics as the songs playing.. and when (a couple) of your songs kind of repeat the same words or Ahs.. ohs... I sit there and sing something else lol.
  • Anton_96Anton_96 Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Here to give my opinion on the songs as everyone else seems to be doing it, albeit through trolling.

Let's start out with what you're actually recording: the vocals. In contrast to everyone else, I think this is actually done pretty well. I've heard comments about it being monotone, weak and dull, but I'm not too sure I agree with that. The more monotone voice fits with the songs in my opinion. If I have to say something, it'd be that the vocals can be pretty hard to hear at times (the start of Amazing for example).

As for the instrumentation: it's okay. Creating something in Garageband may not be considered a feat by some compared to writing and recording music, but it's alright and does the job in creating a song.

Which comes down the last part, and I'll try to elaborate on this one. It's repetitive. Having the same chord progression throughout the song isn't a problem. Sticking to a drum beat the entire time isn't a problem. The problem is that the songs are just A>B>A>B>A>B for the most part; all verses sound identical. That's why I actually thought The Big Fight was your best song - things happened in it! Two things you might want to keep in mind:

- Make your songs more dynamic by making each part of the song more unique.

- Create a section that is the "peak" of the song. Changing the key for a last chorus or adding a guitar/piano/whatever solo usually works pretty well.

My two cents. I see potential in your songs, but I understand why people find them boring.
    edited September 2011
    I'm thinking about releasing The Main Thing, which was released on my site a couple of days ago. I made this summer 2010 as a test, but I was wanting to make sure I get some people's good opinions on it. I do realize the chord progression is really repetitive, but it still sounds like a fun guitar chart by the end. It also might be too easy on the other parts, but just think about the n00bs who just started out on Expert, and need a little practice. ;) I just needed opinions so I don't start what The Main Thing (Ft. Raymond Gullible) had started.
    edited September 2011
    Anton_96;4495664 said:
    Let's start out with what you're actually recording: the vocals. In contrast to everyone else, I think this is actually done pretty well. I've heard comments about it being monotone, weak and dull, but I'm not too sure I agree with that. The more monotone voice fits with the songs in my opinion. If I have to say something, it'd be that the vocals can be pretty hard to hear at times (the start of Amazing for example).
    Lol I thought my vocals being dull were the main problem, but still I could have given more feeling to that song.
    Anton_96;4495664 said:
    Which comes down the last part, and I'll try to elaborate on this one. It's repetitive. Having the same chord progression throughout the song isn't a problem. Sticking to a drum beat the entire time isn't a problem. The problem is that the songs are just A>B>A>B>A>B for the most part; all verses sound identical. That's why I actually thought The Big Fight was your best song - things happened in it! Two things you might want to keep in mind:

- Make your songs more dynamic by making each part of the song more unique.

- Create a section that is the "peak" of the song. Changing the key for a last chorus or adding a guitar/piano/whatever solo usually works pretty well.

My two cents. I see potential in your songs, but I understand why people find them boring.
    In my next song, I was focusing mainly on Chord Progression and Drum beats. I thought those were the most repetitive. I never thought of the lyrics, which they are going to be less repetitive in the next song.

Thanks for the advice.
    edited September 2011
    DeferredGalaxy3;4496318 said:
    Lol I thought my vocals being dull were the main problem, but still I could have given more feeling to that song.

In my next song, I was focusing mainly on Chord Progression and Drum beats. I thought those were the most repetitive. I never thought of the lyrics, which they are going to be less repetitive in the next song.

Thanks for the advice.

If i could write songs (my friends say i can..) I'd let you use mine.. free.. but i suck :( lol
    edited September 2011
    DeferredGalaxy3;4495970 said:
    I'm thinking about releasing The Main Thing, which was released on my site a couple of days ago. I made this summer 2010 as a test, but I was wanting to make sure I get some people's good opinions on it. I do realize the chord progression is really repetitive, but it still sounds like a fun guitar chart by the end. It also might be too easy on the other parts, but just think about the n00bs who just started out on Expert, and need a little practice. ;) I just needed opinions so I don't start what The Main Thing (Ft. Raymond Gullible) had started.

I actually like that :)
    edited September 2011
    I might buy The Main Thing if you make it longer than a minute and a half. Songs that short, for Rock Band, have to be either really freaking awesome (Charlene I'm Right Behind You) or fast/fun (They're Red Hot).
  • DeadPlayerDeadPlayer Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    I would actually recommend to try and make a re-record of The Big Fight, where you iron over some of the flaws with the original. Try to get some good actors or try to get a better flow in your "rapping" for the talking parts, try to make the main riff more engaging and dynamic (for example, add 8th held notes on Guitar where you hold the notes on the vocals) and try and re-write some of the lyrics to become a bit more intelligently humorous instead of just random (the gaming vest part for example, aswell as the choruses). I see it have some potential of being a decent novelty song after all. You could also try and add some lead Guitar action in the verses to make it become more apealing to play aswell as more interesting to listen to, maybe even a Guitar solo (and a Bass solo, people love Bass solo's).

Keep doing what you love. Haters are always gonna hate.
  • Anton_96Anton_96 Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    DeadPlayer;4497053 said:
    Keep doing what you love. Haters are always gonna hate.

So true. Those few times haters actually bring up real points you might want to listen, otherwise promptly ignore it. Criticism helps you improve; hatred won't.
    edited September 2011
    Dangimarocker;4496520 said:
    If i could write songs (my friends say i can..) I'd let you use mine.. free.. but i suck :( lol

Just keep trying. You get better as you practice.

Here's some advice: As long as there is something you always wanted to do, just keep trying. If you are doing something that you never dreamed about, and aren't interested in it, don't do it. If it's something you have always dreamed about, you are sure that's what you want to do, keep trying. Even if you suck, you get better and better, then you might possible be a big hit. I'm not all that good, but once I keep trying, and listen to some good advice, I might actually have a ton of fans. That's how all the other bands got really good.

Just remember, there are two types of critics: Your friends, and your enemies. "Your Critic Friends" give you good advice to help you improve, don't overreact or take the criticism so harshly. "Your Critic Enemies" are the trolls who you just ignore. All the advice "Your Enemies" give you is to quit and never do any of it again, which is what you DON'T do! Just keep doing what you are doing, and if you like what you are doing, things are looking up for you.
    edited October 2011
    While GigaKoopsRBN is still working on the 4, I mean 3, songs, I have joined two authoring groups, yesterday. (One needs help to catch up.) DLCQuickPlay and AGLSolutions. After Amazing, IRWIHHTST, and TFYGWYHAHM are released, I will work on any future song myself. (I might need help with Venues/Lighting, but whatever.)

I am officially planning on releasing The Main Thing, it seems easy, but near the end, the guitarist will hate you for picking that song. ;)

Also, a couple of friends told my to release I Want My Peanuts. I really want to avoid releasing it for numerous reasons. One: The Guitar and Drums are not on time. Two: It sounds really bleh. Three: It sounds like something else, but not intended to. But, I will see if you guys want it on there, anyway, just for laughs. Don't say it's terrible because you don't need to state the obvious, plus I already said it was bad, but some people might want it on there. :P
    edited October 2011
    DeferredGalaxy3;4511655 said:
    While GigaKoopsRBN is still working on the 4, I mean 3, songs, I have joined two authoring groups, yesterday. (One needs help to catch up.) DLCQuickPlay and AGLSolutions. After Amazing, IRWIHHTST, and TFYGWYHAHM are released, I will work on any future song myself. (I might need help with Venues/Lighting, but whatever.)

I am officially planning on releasing The Main Thing, it seems easy, but near the end, the guitarist will hate you for picking that song. ;)

Also, a couple of friends told my to release I Want My Peanuts. I really want to avoid releasing it for numerous reasons. One: The Guitar and Drums are not on time. Two: It sounds really bleh. Three: It sounds like something else, but not intended to. But, I will see if you guys want it on there, anyway, just for laughs. Don't say it's terrible because you don't need to state the obvious, plus I already said it was bad, but some people might want it on there. :P

Umm might not be a good idea.. really does sound like the other word. LOL.
    edited October 2011
    Hey man you check this video I made with alot of my artwork in it your song is in it along with your album design http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KNuwTcA-U
    edited November 2011
    It's been forever since I have updated this thread, the songs from the "Amazing" album are on iTunes, and the three selections are almost ready for V2 of playtesting. The Main Thing is also ready for the first round of playtesting. Expect a video preview of the four songs coming soon.

Also, I will be working on my new album "A Hard And Soggy Winter", which I will be letting authors get a chance to upload each available track, besides the tracks that I plan on writing "Snow Zombies" and "A Hard And Soggy Winter", because I will chart those.

...And I am having a contest on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M79xmotAA0U . Pretty much cover any songs from my album http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL52980BD9024DA6E5 , and may the best cover win FREE MP3 DOWNLOADS + SOURCE TRACKS TO EACH SONG. (Except I LIKE TO POTTY won't have any source tracks, so I will have to give you I like to potty mp3, and source tracks to The Main Thing.) By the end, every participant will at least have been given an MP3 to the karaoke versions to the songs + I Like To Do That from the future album that's coming out December 2011. Contest closes on Christmas.
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited November 2011
    I'm guessing by 'source tracks' you mean the multitracks. I'm probably gonna enter, cause this sounds pretty fun.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2011
    Would power metal covers have a chance of winning?
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2011
    TylerFG;4551875 said:
    I'm guessing by 'source tracks' you mean the multitracks. I'm probably gonna enter, cause this sounds pretty fun.

"stems" is probably a more accurate word.
    edited November 2011
    TylerFG;4551875 said:
    Yup, the separate guitar, bass, keyboard, lead vocal, harmony vocal, etc tracks in separate audio files. :)
    LiveHomeVideo;4551885 said:
    Would power metal covers have a chance of winning?

Yeah, it can be anything you want. I am not going for a specific genre, I'm just going for level of awesomness. Plus, in the description of the video, I said it could be any genre you want, just be creative with it. :)
    edited November 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO_N6vaV1hg Here is the preview video for "The Main Thing." I charted this myself. In the description, I put problems I already know about, and found out too late, but still tell me if there is anything else.
    edited November 2011
    "The Main Thing" is now in playtesting, I know this is kind of a late announcement.

But, while we are here, I started working on my new album, and my suckish music video!

I'm kind of tempted to put this on Rock Band, but I will wait until one of my songs go into Peer Review. (Unless there's an author who wants to chart it.)
    edited January 2012
    LOTS OF NEWS! I am finishing up my album (5 tracks like last time, I know, I kind of said it was going to be 11, but 5 tracks + 4 bonus tracks = 9 FULL TRACKS!), and I am going to start my new album "1'm N3kk36." (Translatiog, "I'm Nekkid" [Naked]) It's going to be full on Novelty songs including some tracks I have announced for Amazing that haven't made it, like "Try Before You Buy."

The videos for Amazing and The Feeling You Get When You Have A Happy Moment are out. (V3 and V2) Visit my errortunes6090's Channel for the videos, though I am too lazy to put links. :P

I did announce that I was going to bring tracks from "A Hard And Soggy Winter" into the game, but I cancelled it when I found out "Walking In A Winter Wonder Land" wasn't Public Domain, butt* after I release at least one of my songs, I will bring, if I'm finished, "Snow Zombies", "A Hard And Soggy Winter", or "O Holy Night" in there, but I don't know.

I will have a poll of my next available songs available for RBN if any authors are interested, but I will ask for authors if I have at least one song release, but I am willing to let someone author it right away, if they are interested.

AND, finally, I'm making a sound track for SuperSquad100, My other channel, so I will put those in my poll when they are released.

*Yes, I Meant to spell out "Butt."

**I made a poll so I could have a less chance of haters hating on me right before Playtesting, and ATF made one, so why can't I?

***I like pie.
    edited January 2012
    There are two ways you can get my music.

FOR FREE:
    http://nathanielwhitlock.bandcamp.com/

FOR MONEY:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/nathaniel-whitlock/id469987588

Don't ask why Amazing is listed as an "EP" in iTunes, just go with the flow. iTunes will be more releases, and Band Camp will just be releases that are main, and will also include Early Plays of the future albums....