A Few Suggestions for Authoring Groups.

I was just looking around on wiki and i found a few semi well known indie artists that may be easy to get.

Matt & Kim (songs you might know include Daylight, Good Old Fashion Nightmare, and Lessons Learned)
They are on Fader Label (a small indie label that only has a few artists)

Mumford & Sons (songs you might know include Little Lion Man, and The Cave)
They are on Glassnote Records (an indie label)

Two Door Cinema Club
Also on Glassnote Records

Cake
their newest album is on their own label Upbeat

Coconut Records
(songs you might know include Summer Day, and Microphone)
They are a band founded by Jason Schwartzman and are on Jason Schwartzman's record label, Young Baby Records.

Yeasayer (song you might know is Ambling Alp)
They are on Secretly Canadian (an independent record label based in Indiana)

Pink Spiders (songs you might know include Little Razor Blade and Gimme Chemicals)
They are on their own label Mean Buzz Records

Peter Bjorn and John (songs you might know include Young Folks, Amsterdam, and Nothing to Worry About)
They are on Wichita Recordings (an independent label located in london)

Comments

• GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    atalkingfish;4488419 said:
    Ooh, Mumford & Sons would be a welcome addition. The RBN could always use some more banjo!

I would see Mumford & Suns popping up in HMX sooner or later but some good sounding Indie Rock is always welcome with me :)
  • RycheMaidenPS3RycheMaidenPS3 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    How about Edguy? They are not "indie", however, they sold over 2 million records worldwide, and it would probably sell like crazy. Their music is awesome, if you are into hard rock and melodic metal.
  • edited August 2011
    RycheMaidenPS3;4488436 said:
    How about Edguy? They are not "indie", however, they sold over 2 million records worldwide, and it would probably sell like crazy. Their music is awesome, if you are into hard rock and melodic metal.

Yeah i posted this thread because i'm tiered of all the metal coming through the RBN and i thought i could help bring some more well known indie/alt bands to the RBN that have no chance of coming out normally (with the exceptions of Cake and Mumford)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2011
    I would also like Best Coast. They're an indie pop/girl band made not too long ago, and their first album is pure fun.

Before you go asking me "Isn't that a band in Rocksmith?" I'll say yes, yes it is.

Doesn't mean I can't approach them, right?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4488444 said:
    Yeah i posted this thread because i'm tiered of all the metal coming through the RBN and i thought i could help bring some more well known indie/alt bands to the RBN that have no chance of coming out normally (with the exceptions of Cake and Mumford)

You don't know how many non metal bands/labels I've contacted in the last three months. Probably a couple hundred.

Seriously. And I'm not talking big label known bands, I'm talking about the exact same type of bands you are. Small label, or unsigned, just to get some diversity not only in our own portfolio, but in the over all RBN.

I've had THREE responses out of those hundreds.

Three.

So it's not that authoring groups only go after metal bands. It's that metal bands/labels seem to be the only ones that want to play along.
  • edited August 2011
    Speaking of indie, I'd love to see one or more tracks from Shearwater on RBN, preferably from one of their last two albums. I love the melancholic sound to their songs and especially the keys parts should be a lot of fun to play. I think they're on Matador Records. (for those who don't know them, check out this and this)
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    I don't think we'll ever see Cake in RB.
    edited August 2011
    I've scoured the interwebs and can find absolutely no contact info for the band.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    You guys should get some A Talking Fish. I think they're indie but they're so famous and awesome that it might be kinda hard to do.
    edited August 2011
    Yeah they only return our emails when we agreed to send them gold plated toilets as a sign on bonus ;)
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4488484 said:
    I've scoured the interwebs and can find absolutely no contact info for the band.

Already emailed their management.
    edited August 2011
    Wow. Congrats on that. I looked all over their website and label early in the year and couldn't find anything.
    edited August 2011
    edited August 2011
    Well heck. I was looking at Cake's website for label contact info since they release their stuff on their own label.
    edited August 2011
    Yeah I did that too.
    edited August 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4488504 said:
    Yeah they only return our emails when we agreed to send them gold plated toilets as a sign on bonus ;)

gold plated toilets that recline when you sit on them.
    edited August 2011
    atalkingfish;4488533 said:
    gold plated toilets that recline when you sit on them.

Don't worry, I've almost conquered China for you. It should be yours within a week xD
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2011
    On Cake, there was a big Ultimate Setlist thread and some people got in touch with their manager (this was even before RBN was public knowledge) and the latest response was "Honestly, I share your enthusiasm... unfortunately, the band does not." For what it's worth that was two years ago.
    edited August 2011
    I don't know how likely this is, but if an authoring company got the original Charlie Daniels version of The Devil Went Down to Georgia, it'd be a classic.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2011
    Just had to read the 1st bolded piece of text and I'm on board!!!
    Matt & Kim are absolutely incredible<33333333
    Arrrrrrghhhhh, so much love for them.
  • edited August 2011
    atalkingfish;4488554 said:
    I don't know how likely this is, but if an authoring company got the original Charlie Daniels version of The Devil Went Down to Georgia, it'd be a classic.

I'd say that considering the song's popularity and legacy, that's probably a no for a few reasons. To my knowledge when the song was covered for GH3 I think that was without the band's consent and that created a feud between the band and Activision/Neversoft. If that feud didn't exist, there would probably be a hefty up-front cost for the song as well (most likely in the realm of $1,000+, but my guess is up to $10,000+) which would not be feasible in the slightest for any authoring group.
    Also doing some 30 second research on Wikipedia the song was released on Epic which is a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment which creates a dead-end.
    However, I think getting this song would be amazing, but unfortunately I don't think it's even close to possible.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    BeyondTheUniverseRBN;4488628 said:
    I'd say that considering the song's popularity and legacy, that's probably a no for a few reasons. To my knowledge when the song was covered for GH3 I think that was without the band's consent and that created a feud between the band and Activision/Neversoft. If that feud didn't exist, there would probably be a hefty up-front cost for the song as well (most likely in the realm of $1,000+, but my guess is up to $10,000+) which would not be feasible in the slightest for any authoring group.
    Also doing some 30 second research on Wikipedia the song was released on Epic which is a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment which creates a dead-end.
    However, I think getting this song would be amazing, but unfortunately I don't think it's even close to possible.

To add to all this, I recall a radio interview four years back with Charlie Daniels regarding his disapproval of how the song was used in GH3. What he said is pretty much what he wrote here:

http://www.charliedaniels.com/soapbox-2008/soapbox-2008-040408.htm

So, even though he has no real say in where the song is used anymore, I'm not sure he'd be too happy seeing it in another music game, though this one is devoid of devils winning (to the best of my knowledge).

Just something else to consider. Personally, I'd love to see the original version in the game. Would make for interesting gameplay.
    edited August 2011
    Arcanon;4488633 said:
    To add to all this, I recall a radio interview four years back with Charlie Daniels regarding his disapproval of how the song was used in GH3. What he said is pretty much what he wrote here:

http://www.charliedaniels.com/soapbox-2008/soapbox-2008-040408.htm

So, even though he has no real say in where the song is used anymore, I'm not sure he'd be too happy seeing it in another music game, though this one is devoid of devils winning (to the best of my knowledge).

Just something else to consider. Personally, I'd love to see the original version in the game. Would make for interesting gameplay.

Totally sucks about that. But if the very essence of my songs was raped and buried like that, I would be pretty upset at that, too.

But then again, that's Activision for ya. Just a lot of not giving a s*** about feelings and doing what their fat-cat asses want, which can involve pissing off the artist they're trying to "respect."
    edited August 2011
    I think, as far as gameplay goes, GHIII's cover was great. Unfortunately, I'm sure that, given the style of the original, it was probably pretty disappointing for them. To add to that, the fact that it was done without permission mixed with the fact that it's totally protected by law would make it even worse. I'm sure little things like changing the words that were originally "son of a gun" were frustrating too (I didn't really like that, though if I remember correctly, it wasn't actually in the game).
    edited August 2011
    atalkingfish;4488655 said:
    I'm sure little things like changing the words that were originally "son of a gun" were frustrating too (I didn't really like that, though if I remember correctly, it wasn't actually in the game).

Actually, I've heard recordings of the original with "Son of a b****" in it.

EDIT:

I hope I don't get banned for posting a video to prove a point about a bad word, but I found a video with the original lyrics here.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4488669 said:
    Actually, I've heard recordings of the original with "Son of a b****" in it.
    That is the original, I've got a greatest hits album and the word is intact on that recording. It was changed to "gun" for radio play.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    I'm all for more indie bands getting in!

I hope you guys don't mind me adding another band in here, but has any authoring group tried to contact Fit for Rivals? They're a Florida-based band that released an independent album back in 2009. Great songs, I think they'd fit in well with this game. They're also working on a new album (hopefully releasing it soon), so maybe they could use RBN for promotion.

A couple songs I'd love to see come to RB: Hallelujah, Crash, and Damage.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4488546 said:
    On Cake, there was a big Ultimate Setlist thread and some people got in touch with their manager (this was even before RBN was public knowledge) and the latest response was "Honestly, I share your enthusiasm... unfortunately, the band does not." For what it's worth that was two years ago.

Oh, how I remember the days when the "(Actively Updated)" part of that title wasn't a lie.

Though I have talked to Tommy (CAKE's manager) about a lot over the years, I have left him well alone regarding Rock Band. I figured as much had been done that could be done. It's definitely worth revisiting, I suppose. Though CAKE (especially John McCrea, founding frontman) aren't exactly known to change their opinions. On anything. Since Harmonix couldn't seem to strike a deal with them, if any RBN authors can, I tip my entire collection of hats to you.

While we're on the topic, do you guys see my avatar? It's my prestige license plate the band signed. I got to meet them backstage after a show a few years ago. (And no, I did not waste my breath asking them why they didn't want to be in Rock Band.) Best 10 minutes of my life.
  • edited September 2011
    I thought of another one that would be a great get for any authoring group

Sugar Hill Gang - Rappers Delight
    They are signed to their own record label
    edited September 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4491137 said:
    I thought of another one that would be a great get for any authoring group

Sugar Hill Gang - Rappers Delight
    They are signed to their own record label

The songs were sold to a Warner subsidiary when the label closed.