Puddle of Mudd's new cover album

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited September 2011 in History of Rock
The first single is "Gimme Shelter." Now, I actually like Puddle of Mudd. "Blurry" is one of my absolute favorite songs, in and out of RB. Like a fair bit of their other stuff, too.

But holy crap, this cover has got to be some of the worst sonic excrement I have ever heard. Just a bad, bad clash between Mick's voice and Wes'. I'm hesitant to check out the album any further. The other songs on it are:

"Old Man" - Neil Young
"T.N.T." - AC/DC
"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" - Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks
"The Joker" - Steve Miller Band
"Everybody Wants You" - Billy Squier
"Rocket Man" - Elton John
"All Right Now" - Free
"Shooting Star" - Bad Company
"D'yer Mak'er" - Led Zeppelin
"Funk #49" - James Gang
"With a Little Help From My Friends" - The Beatles
"Cocaine" - Eric Clapton

Thoughts on the single/this cover album/covers in general?

Comments

• Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    this sounds like it possibly could be one of the worst things ever produced.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Lameboy19;4491789 said:

Yeah, not seeing how this doesn't end badly.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4491729 said:
    The first single is "Gimme Shelter." Now, I actually like Puddle of Mudd. "Blurry" is one of my absolute favorite songs, in and out of RB. Like a fair bit of their other stuff, too.

But holy crap, this cover has got to be some of the worst sonic excrement I have ever heard. Just a bad, bad clash between Mick's voice and Wes'.

I can't think of anything insulting to say about the cover actually, though there's nothing about it that stands out at all either.
  • milesrosemilesrose Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    I actually like quite a few of PoM's songs but after listening to this cover album. Well, it's pretty bad.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited September 2011
    Did you actually expect something else from one of the biggest disasters in post-grunge?
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Why would Puddle of Mudd make a cover album??? o_O

I have nothing against them, if fact I really like "Blurry," but if someone asked me "What is the most random band you can think of that would make a classic rock cover album?" Puddle of Mudd would still be among the very last I'd think of.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Gowienczyk;4491967 said:
    Did you actually expect something else from one of the biggest disasters in post-grunge?

well no, they're awful in their own right, but the whole "cover" album thing sounds like it really could be one of the worst things ever.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Jeez. What a generic-as-hell list of songs to cover. Could you get any more "we only listen to the singles on classic rock radio rather than the full albums these classic songs come from" than that?
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Runesmith;4492299 said:
    Jeez. What a generic-as-hell list of songs to cover. Could you get any more "we only listen to the singles on classic rock radio rather than the full albums these classic songs come from" than that?

Probably could, if you tried really hard. I don't see Stairway to Heaven or Don't Stop Believing anywhere :)
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    instantdeath999;4492565 said:
    Probably could, if you tried really hard. I don't see Stairway to Heaven or Don't Stop Believing anywhere :)

Fair enough, but when the biggest "surprise" is Neil Young, they're not doing a lot more than being generic. Hell, at least Between the Buried and Me's cover album threw in some stuff that made you go "that doesn't really seem to fit... but okay."
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    killer_roach;4492660 said:
    Fair enough, but when the biggest "surprise" is Neil Young, they're not doing a lot more than being generic. Hell, at least Between the Buried and Me's cover album threw in some stuff that made you go "that doesn't really seem to fit... but okay."

Oh, it's generic as hell... but I could do better :)