Wipeout - The Surfaris?

lilchro2010lilchro2010 Unsigned
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I might of misspelled that band name sorry. Anywho, has anyone tried to get the rights to this song? Drums would be fun for sure :D

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2011
    I just tried. Let's hope they reply with a positive note.
  • lilchro2010lilchro2010 Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    not sure why this song popped up in my head haha. Real popular song that alot of people will remember i'm sure.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2011
    This is one of my long-time "should be in Rock Band" songs.

If you do get it, definitely chart the laughing bit to vocals

Also I wish the animations could be controlled enough to make the band members move in unison like this
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but. . .

The single was released through Dot Records, and the entire catalogue for that label is controlled by Universal. So, unless by some off chance the artists still hold the rights to the song and the recording, and the recording is still in good condition and has the proper multitracks, or if the artists are still alive and capable of doing a rerecord, this won't happen. Even if those things some how happen, I don't know if they'd be very open to the idea of having the song used and only getting 30% of the money (minus what the authoring group charges), especially for a song that has been licensed for usage in so many movies, TV shows, etc. where they get an up-front licensing payment.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    AskariNari;4494686 said:
    I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but. . .

The single was released through Dot Records, and the entire catalogue for that label is controlled by Universal. So, unless by some off chance the artists still hold the rights to the song and the recording, and the recording is still in good condition and has the proper multitracks, or if the artists are still alive and capable of doing a rerecord, this won't happen. Even if those things some how happen, I don't know if they'd be very open to the idea of having the song used and only getting 30% of the money (minus what the authoring group charges), especially for a song that has been licensed for usage in so many movies, TV shows, etc. where they get an up-front licensing payment.
    Dude its the Sufaris, they're lucky if they get the Omaha Nebraska Rib Fest free with admission gig. I'm guessing they have a rerecored version that was released long after they were dropped from they're label that would cover masters and label problems.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    General Lein979;4494690 said:
    Dude its the Sufaris, they're lucky if they get Omaha Nebraska Rib Fest free with admission gig. I'm guessing they have a rerecored version that was released long after they were dropped from they're label that would cover masters and label problems.

Are you kidding? This song is considered a classic. It's Epic. It makes money, it makes lots of money.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    lvmathemagician;4494692 said:
    Are you kidding? This song is considered a classic. It's Epic. It makes money, it makes lots of money.
    I know its a classic, but you have to remember that that they were a surf rock band with one instrumental hit from the 60's and they know that any cover band could play the song anywhere in the world and the audience would have the same level of excitement that the Surfatris would get from playing it making the Surfaris themselves not a big asset. I'm pretty sure that the Surfaris would not be all I'm too good to work with rock band because of this and would agree to any money making possibility.
  • KarioChartsJerryKarioChartsJerry Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    This song will not happen for Rock Band Network. Trust me, we've contacted and were told no for undisclosed reasons.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    General Lein979;4494703 said:
    I know its a classic, but you have to remember that that they were a surf rock band with one instrumental hit from the 60's and they know that any cover band could play the song anywhere in the world and the audience would have the same level of excitement that the Surfatris would get from playing it making the Surfaris themselves not a big asset. I'm pretty sure that the Surfaris would not be all I'm too good to work with rock band because of this and would agree to any money making possibility.

Maybe the record company owns the rights.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4494760 said:
    This song will not happen for Rock Band Network. Trust me, we've contacted and were told no for undisclosed reasons.

Ah, wish I woulda known before contacting them. Now they'll probably be my first act that I contact that would flat-out say no.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Great song, disappointing that there hasn't been any old-school surf rock in the platform as-yet.

WTF is Dick Dale?
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    What about other Sixties bands still touring today with at least one or several original members left? Besides the obvious Moody Blues and other bigger names, what about support acts like The Buckinghams ? Should I assume no one has contacted them yet? There are still 3 core members of the band - when I saw them live last year - they retain their original vintage sound live - it was great. They don't live too far from me, I imagine I could meet them in person. How about The Remains, out of Boston? Also, what about Badfinger? Peter Noone and his band? How about The Ides of March?

What's the rule? If it is ultimately owned up the chain by Universal it's a guaranteed no?

What about The Blues Brothers.
  • SplyncSplync Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Backbeat60-62;4501995 said:
    What's the rule? If it is ultimately owned up the chain by Universal it's a guaranteed no?

It depends upon who owns the publishing rights to the song. For example, Alien Ant Farm is under Universal, yet ASP was able to secure the rights to get them onto RBN.

The Surfaris re-released "Wipe Out" on an independently released album a few years ago, so there's always the chance that an author could get the publishing rights to use the song in-game (assuming that the band has the masters and is accepting of the idea, which it doesn't sound like they are).
    edited September 2011
    Splync;4502006 said:
    It depends upon who owns the publishing rights to the song. For example, Alien Ant Farm is under Universal, yet ASP was able to secure the rights to get them onto RBN.

The Surfaris re-released "Wipe Out" on an independently released album a few years ago, so there's always the chance that an author could get the publishing rights to use the song in-game (assuming that the band has the masters and is accepting of the idea, which it doesn't sound like they are).

Sufaris won't be in RBN, I've already said this.
    edited September 2011
    Alright well, what about the thousand other surf rock bands? I mean come on. It is a perfect style for beginner pro guitar players who want to play faster. Maybe there's another big surf rock hit out there from another band.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Creamskull Boogie by the Graveyard BBQ is such a tribute to this song that I'm surprised it was allowed in with the "no covers" policy. It even has the drum solo.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Backbeat60-62;4502044 said:
    Alright well, what about the thousand other surf rock bands? I mean come on. It is a perfect style for beginner pro guitar players who want to play faster. Maybe there's another big surf rock hit out there from another band.

It was just recommended today, but perhaps look at "The Pale Rider" by The Riptides? They also have "Return to Blood Beach". Or "Soy Bomb" from Honest Bob. None are uber-famous or uber-difficult but they're all decent surf instrumentals.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Somebody needs to get this band. I wish you luck finding contact info.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4502012 said:
    Sufaris won't be in RBN, I've already said this.
    Just because you had bad luck doesn't mean that other companies can't try. There's a lot of music wouldn't be in Rock Band if Harmonix took every simple "no" answer to mean "never".
    edited September 2011
    NoThru22;4502071 said:
    Creamskull Boogie by the Graveyard BBQ is such a tribute to this song that I'm surprised it was allowed in with the "no covers" policy. It even has the drum solo.
    FairwoodStudios;4502092 said:
    It was just recommended today, but perhaps look at "The Pale Rider" by The Riptides? They also have "Return to Blood Beach". Or "Soy Bomb" from Honest Bob. None are uber-famous or uber-difficult but they're all decent surf instrumentals.

Thanks I'll get onto PSN tonight on the look out for these.
    edited September 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4502102 said:
    Just because you had bad luck doesn't mean that other companies can't try. There's a lot of music wouldn't be in Rock Band if Harmonix took every simple "no" answer to mean "never".

Trust me, It's not coming to RBN:cool:
  • edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4502231 said:
    Trust me, It's not coming to RBN:cool:

Are you saying that it's coming as official HMX DLC?:confused:
  • turnitup321turnitup321 Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4502315 said:
    Are you saying that it's coming as official HMX DLC?:confused:

Jerry likes to troll. He may be right about the 'no Wipeout on RBN' thing, but the whole 'official HMX DLC' deal might not be so. Especially since he loves trolling. (Did I already say that?)
  • edited September 2011
    turnitup321;4502328 said:
    Jerry likes to troll.
    I noticed

I'm still fully expecting the Bucket Head thing to turn out to be Jerry just having some fun with the GH2 nostalgic crowd
    edited September 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4502336 said:
    I noticed

I'm still fully expecting the Bucket Head thing to turn out to be Jerry just having some fun with the GH2 nostalgic crowd

Yeah, if you paid attention, you would know that Kario was the first person to bring up Buckethead on twitter, then asked me to make a statement.

As for Sufaris, just trust me on this that it will not be coming to Rock Band Network.
  • edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4502371 said:
    Yeah, if you paid attention, you would know that Kario was the first person to bring up Buckethead on twitter, then asked me to make a statement.

As for Sufaris, just trust me on this that it will not be coming to Rock Band Network.
    I follow Kario on Twitter. He brings up Buckethead at least once a week.
    edited September 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4502374 said:
    I follow Kario on Twitter. He brings up Buckethead at least once a week.
    He said an official comment would be made last Friday and my post was the comment.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4502371 said:

Dude, this statement is so ambiguous it's giving me totally unfounded hope we may see it as official HMX DLC some point down the line. :eek:
    edited September 2011
    Runesmith;4502388 said:
    Dude, this statement is so ambiguous it's giving me totally unfounded hope we may see it as official HMX DLC some point down the line. :eek:
    Take it however you will. I'm just saying it's not coming to Rock Band Network.