Why don't YOU buy tracks from the Rock Band Network?

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited October 2011 in Rock Band
I was browsing another thread and noticed a lot of people brought up the fact that they don't buy tracks from the Rock Band Network.

Why is that?

For the guys that say they never or rarely buy anything from the Rock Band Network, why?

I'm not talking about if it's not available in your country or console. I mean if you have full access to the RBN, why don't you buy songs?

I'm just curious as to the reasoning.

Is it unfamiliarity with the artists? Is it you think that all the RBN is demo bands, and screamy Metulz?

As part of an authoring group, and more importantly a fan of the game and all forms of music, I want to know if there's something other than availability that is driving your decision to not purchase RBN tracks. Because known or not, there is a LOT of massively awesome music on RBN.

If sales go down too much artists and labels might decide it's no longer worth their time to put music into RBN, and that would suck for all of us.

So let's hear it. Let us know (authoring groups as a whole) what we can do to help change your perception and drive more people to browse the RBN and pick up tracks.

***HMX EDIT 9/12***
HMXLachesis;4496105 said:
I think this is a pretty interesting question.

However, most people who frequent the Rock Band Network forum are already buying music from the Rock Band Network.

As a result, I'm moving this thread from the RBN forum into the general Rock Band forum.

Comments

• ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    i'm waiting for someone to come in and say something like the charting sucks, or the quality is terrible, or because they bought one song that had bad charts that they are boycotting it or something a long those lines...

well, 1400 RBN songs, and even if 140 of them have bad charts/bad quality thats less then 10%, and is not a viable excuse to NOT buy tracks you enjoy from the RBN. everyone has preview videos up, and there's lots of feedback around, so you know weather or not a song is worth it.

if youre worried about them being pulled last minute? don't buy till they're in the store,

wavegroup is gone, so don't worry about their ****ty everything with the new songs.

aand a last point, the only HMX DLC i wanted in the last two months was RHCP, and i got that for free, so I've bought ONE pack from HMX in 4 months now, and every week i buy at least 2-5 songs from the network, the stuff on the network is just a lot more fun. /oppinion

(i also take the 10-15 minutes/week to look up the stuff i'm unfamilliar with)
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Zemanator;4494924 said:
    everyone has preview videos up

if youre worried about them being pulled last minute? don't buy till they're in the store,

wavegroup is gone, so don't worry about their ****ty everything with the new songs.
    Not true. I guarantee if there had been a preview for "A Slight Amplification", I would NOT have bought it. There are a bunch of songs authored by the band, or some obscure one-and-done charting group that do not have preview videos.

Also, as "A Fruit Fly in the Beehive" has proved, songs can be pulled after being added to the store.

And why are we happy an authoring group who brought a bunch of great artists to RBN is gone? I must have missed the memo on that one.
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    DragoonXD;4494925 said:
    Not true. I guarantee if there had been a preview for "A Slight Amplification", I would NOT have bought it. There are a bunch of songs authored by the band, or some obscure one-and-done charting group that do not have preview videos.

Also, as "A Fruit Fly in the Beehive" has proved, songs can be pulled after being added to the store.

And why are we happy an authoring group who brought a bunch of great artists to RBN is gone? I must have missed the memo on that one.

ok, slight amplification was bad, but the RBN back then was a lot of 1 and done groups, now it's almost exclusively the authoring companies everyone is familliar with, who all have previews to pretty much all of their songs on youtube. (RA's previews are on their site, not youtube, but they still have them)

and yes, i know 4/1400 songs were pulled from the store, but that doesn't validate the argument at all

ask nothru what he thinks about wavegroup;)
    and a lot of people think the same thing. I know they brought a lot of great artists, but the job they did was just terrible
  • cyborggrimreapercyborggrimreaper Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Well be honest, it is a lot of favoritism towards bands I know, but really the press for the songs isn't really out there for me on a lot. And really after tons and tons of Metal came out to the RBN it was hard for me to find the gems. But the thing I do love is the Country Genre is growing, plus when and authoring group decides to have a free mp3 of the song I tend to check that out more and usually enjoy the song. But would like it to more when they do announce what is coming to have a mp3 link with the announcement, so its easier to go, ok what is this let me click here.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2011
    When RBN was first announced, I was ecstatic because it meant indie bands would be given a strong presence in RB. Other than a few selections this turned out to not be the case. Admittedly, this is my fault for hyping myself up like that. I love obscure music, but a lot of the music on RBN is a different type of obscure; a local, bar band-ish type of obscure. That's not to say they're bad music, so much as it is music I don't really want to invest any money in when HMX's official DLC includes tons of personal favorites.

Gang of Four is a perfect example of the type of band I was hoping would make up the majority of the RBN's output. You know, cultish bands. There are a couple here and there - Ween, Sleater-Kinney, Inkubus Sukkubus (major props to them for releasing their classic stuff even if they are re-records) - but it's a vast minority. Now, we got Gang of Four on RBN, but it's from the album they just released this year which, while a 'good' album, is not at all up to their usual standard of excellence. It's empy-sounding. Coupled with the fact that their song was pulled before I could buy it...yeah. :(
  • edited September 2011
    A lack of preview function on PS3 probably keeps me from making impulse buys on RBN while browsing. I have to recognize it fully to consider it.

That one feature alone would probably increase PS3 sales quite a bit. I am just too lazy to look stuff up when there is a huge list of previewable DLC from the regular channels.

Then I was tunred off when the whole pro drum chart issue thing came up and I did not revist RBN again until recently. No ones fault really.

Also.... I am a classic rock, 1st gen, 2nd gen and 80's music fan for sure and well... RBN has not catered to that taste much especially on PS3. Sure I like and buy new stuff as well, but again, a preview makes or brakes a decsion to buy when browsing. Nu Metal is alright but, its not a party favorite with my usual Rock Band party goers, 35-45 crowd.

You would think with all the great bands selling great songs for mayo, car, vacation, etc commercials that they would be interestd in any cash making opportunity, including RBN, but I am sure I am over-simplifying that concept to playskool levels. :)

Lately I have been beefing up my XBOX library and with the preview-ability I just may make some more RBN 2.0 purchases. In fact its been on my to do list but ahhh man... thats a long list.

Lastly.... the "thing" that would probably be fairly big for RBN... Pro Guitar.

The Pro players will generally buy just about ANYTHING with a pro guitar/bass option. I don't know if thats even in the waaaay initial stages of discussion or if it ever will be but that would be HUGE IMO.

So yeah... you asked, I had four cups of coffee and that is all I have to say about that.... unless you have more questions. :)
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    Doc_SoCal;4494933 said:
    A lack of preview function on PS3 probably keeps me from making impulse buys on RBN while browsing. I have to recognize it fully to consider it.

That one feature alone would probably increase PS3 sales quite a bit. I am just too lazy to look stuff up when there is a huge list of previewable DLC from the regular channels.
    http://www.rockbandaide.com/12782/psa-how-to-get-rbn-song-previews-on-ps3/
    Doc_SoCal;4494933 said:

Lastly.... the "thing" that would probably be fairly big for RBN... Pro Guitar.

The Pro players will generally buy just about ANYTHING with a pro guitar/bass option. I don't know if thats even in the waaaay initial stages of discussion or if it ever will be but that would be HUGE IMO.

Pro guitar is a big feature with stuff like Deep Purple and Queen where everybody knows the song and would be interested in playing it for real, but I can't see unknown artists on RBN having the same kind of pull. I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome to have it, it would just be attracting a very small subset of the already small protar-wielding audience.
  • edited September 2011
    I actually take the time to look up vids of just about every song that gets released (at least in genres that I know I enjoy, like prog, new wave, metal and rock), but as with official HMX DLC, I'm simply pretty selective about what music I enjoy, and also what music I enjoy playing in the game. In the average Xbox release week, there'll be about 1-2 RBN songs that I'm interested in, which means that in the average PS3 DLC week, I'll pick up about 1 RBN song. It's not much, but it's all I like.

Again, I'm just as picky about official DLC... I've gone as much as 2 months without buying anything in the past. And the biggest praise I can give is that some of those RBN tracks that I have bought rank extremely high in my 'favorite RB tracks of all time list'... bands like Amberian Dawn, Ayreon and Cynic are bands that I absolutely love and would choose over 99.9% of the HMX-released bands, and songs like The Great Plains and Curse of the Werewolf are incredible as well. I especially hope labels like Nuclear Blast and Season of Mist will continue to support RBN as much as they have, because they have a lot of bands and songs that I'd very much like to purchase.
  • edited September 2011
    Oscarvarium;4494935 said:
    WOW that preview setting tip should be sticked in the DLC support forum.

Thanks!
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    I don't not buy, but the reason I'm sometimes a little gunshy is mainly difficulty. I've often found that whatever RBN songs are tiered at, you should add two tiers to it and that'll reflect the true difficulty. So I am extremely leery of purchasing any RBN song that's tiered at 5 dots or devil tiers on my preferred instruments. I've had this experience with several of the Amberian Dawn songs - most of them are so absurdly difficult I still haven't played through them in full (yet only one is devil tier). Yeah, I could play on Hard, and I will if someone picks them online, but that's just not as fun to me.

Mainly what I do is look for indie/rock/alternative songs (tend to steer clear of metal, generally speaking) and if they're 3-4 dots or lower, I preview on 'em on YouTube. If I can stand to listen to them, buy! Yesterday I bought the two songs from TesseracT. "Deception Part Two Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla" is much harder than the tiering would suggest, but "Eden" is FREAKING AWESOME and one of my new faves. They're the same tier, so....yeeeeeah. I almost bought the newest Amberian Dawn song brought over as well, "Dreamchaser," but when I pulled it up here and saw that it is devil tier on every instrument, I said "no thanks."

The only stuff I buy without a lengthy perusal is stuff from big-name bands (Seether, Evanescence, Creed, Drowning Pool), and there's not very much of that on RBN. It's just easier to buy official DLC, which is almost never stuff I haven't even heard of.
  • AkuryuAkuryu Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    1) Nobody else buys them. I prefer to play rock BAND in a BAND, and I know that with the vast majority of RBN songs I'll just end up playing alone because none of my other friends are buying them. I'll get far more play for my buck with regular DLC.

2) RAWWWWRRRRRRRRRR. I'M ANGRY YEAWWWW. (inaudible) BY MYSELFFFFFF! GROWLLL. MY MOM JUST BOUGHT ME A DOUBLE BASS PEDALLLLL AND NOW I'M GONNA USE ITTT! DESPAIRRRR! I'll be the one to say it: garbage screamo/growly metal has become the dominate genre. For every one interesting indie rock or alternative tune, there are like 10 of these. Apparently they sell well, as you keep churning them out, but I have no interest.

3) 3000 song limit. I buy all the regular DLC and plan to continue that. Heavily investing in RBN will only ensure I reach this cap sooner and I'll have to start deleting songs (likely the very RBN songs that got me there).
  • JerkinatorJerkinator Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    I purchase some songs from RBN, but they're almost always the ones sold at 80 msp. I like to play with groups of people and when they search through my library 99.9% if the time non-RBN tracks get picked because nobody knows the RBN tunes. Not to say they're bad, but there are a LOT of relative unkowns charging $2 per song. That's their call, but usually I won't pick up a random $2 metal band when there are still like 8 songs from the Iron Maiden pack that I don't own which cost the same price.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited September 2011
    I've used to buy plenty of RBN content, but the quality has significantly been reduced this past year ever since those post-hardcore labels jumped on board imo. The newly found support of chiptune and internet memes is not helping either.

Another reason is that, it's that I don't mind supporting unknowns if a song is good enough to warrant a purchase, but it would be more enjoyable to play songs I already know and there's actually a severe lack of that. I've listened to 150+ albums released from this year and the only artist that came through RBN to support their new album from those numbers was Seether, and Seether didn't rank high on my list that I would want to purchase "Country House".
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Akuryu;4494944 said:
    1) Nobody else buys them. I prefer to play rock BAND in a BAND, and I know that with the vast majority of RBN songs I'll just end up playing alone because none of my other friends are buying them. I'll get far more play for my buck with regular DLC.
    That's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Here's a tip. Recommend the good RBN songs you buy to your friends.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2011
    So would it make it easier if the authors got together and put together a Youtube video thread?

Make it a one stop place where you can go in and just click the links to the songs and have a full blown video preview?

I just think there are a lot of fantastic and awesome tracks from every authoring group that are getting severely overlooked because of the mentality that RBN is nothing but extreme metal and garage bands, etc.

I'm looking for any and all ways to increase the sales and visibility for all the authoring groups and the bands they are working with.

Every week it seems I'm noticing yet another authoring group that has just stopped bringing material into RBN.

I'd say we're probably down to ten or less groups that are left, and that is extremely worrisome to me.

So I want to help keep the visibility and profitability of the groups that are left in any way I can.

Which is why I started this thread in the first place :)
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited September 2011
    I've actually really enjoyed RBN's out put. I don't usually buy a whole lot from RBN because I don't really like metalcore/post-hardcore. I normally buy just mainly metal (no metalcore) and chiptune music from RBN though. I don't check out other genre bands on RBN unless they're devil tiered on guitar. But I do usually check out all the metal released on RBN, unless I know the band's metalcore.
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4494960 said:
    So would it make it easier if the authors got together and put together a Youtube video thread?

Make it a one stop place where you can go in and just click the links to the songs and have a full blown video preview?
    I think this could be a good idea. :) If this happened then maybe I might check out more artists on RBN that aren't metal. I also forgot to say I also like some of the prog released on RBN like the Andromeda songs.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4494960 said:

Every week it seems I'm noticing yet another authoring group that has just stopped bringing material into RBN.

I'd say we're probably down to ten or less groups that are left, and that is extremely worrisome to me.

AH! Wow, that's shocking. I haven't noticed this, and I hope I get to stick around and release all the songs I've announced, more I'm working on, and more in the future.
    edited September 2011
    Akuryu;4494944 said:

2) RAWWWWRRRRRRRRRR. I'M ANGRY YEAWWWW. (inaudible) BY MYSELFFFFFF! GROWLLL. MY MOM JUST BOUGHT ME A DOUBLE BASS PEDALLLLL AND NOW I'M GONNA USE ITTT! DESPAIRRRR! I'll be the one to say it: garbage screamo/growly metal has become the dominate genre. For every one interesting indie rock or alternative tune, there are like 10 of these. Apparently they sell well, as you keep churning them out, but I have no interest.

3) 3000 song limit. I buy all the regular DLC and plan to continue that. Heavily investing in RBN will only ensure I reach this cap sooner and I'll have to start deleting songs (likely the very RBN songs that got me there).

To respond to your second point. (and I can't speak for other authoring groups, just my own personal experience). Earlier this year I noticed there was a really vocal backlash about metal overtaking the RBN as the dominant genre. So I thought I'd do something about it. I sent out feelers to bands, and labels of all sizes and genres. From known acts, to youtube and myspace bands that haven't been signed, large labels, and labels with bands no one had ever heard of. The only criteria was that they were not metal. So country, jazz, indie, pop rock, blues, arena rock, urban, techno, you name it. I approached them about bringing material into the rock band network.

I told them that if they don't want to use our authoring group, then there are plenty of others that might be a better fit, or if they didn't have the budget that the process wasn't as difficult as it seems to learn and they should see if one of their band members or label staff might be interested in charting the stuff on their own.

I'd wager that I contacted (if you throw in the labels with multiple bands), well over 400 non metal acts in the span of three weeks.

Do you want to know how many responded out of that 400?

1. One. Uno.

So it's not that we're ONLY going after metal acts. It's that the metal acts are the only one that even seem interested in working with authoring groups to bring tracks into the game via RBN.

So don't think we (the authoring community as a whole) are only going after the metulz screamz bands. Because that's not the case. It's just that they are the only ones that ever show any interest (outside of the few rare exceptions).
    edited September 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4494967 said:
    AH! Wow, that's shocking. I haven't noticed this, and I hope I get to stick around and release all the songs I've announced, more I'm working on, and more in the future.

Yeah if you go back and look at the RBN forums from even a few months ago, you'll notice three or four groups that are no longer active.

There's a list here on the forums of active RBN authoring groups from when RBN first started. If you look at that list compared to now, there's a fraction of groups from that original list still active.
  • The FriskThe Frisk Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    I know I don't fit quite into the category defined in the OP, but of the songs I've been interested in buying but haven't, is due to the lack of preview videos.

For example, I'm curious about the RB3 version of Asking Alexandria's The Final Episode, mainly for the keys, but the demo/trial doesn't get to the keys part and there aren't any videos online. Makes me wonder if the keys part would be fun or not, and I'd rather not risk $2 and end up grabbing something that I feel isn't fun. Plus, after getting Morte et Dabo which had a 3 star rating (with only a couple of short parts on keys, should've been much lower rating than 3), I'm skeptical that the other AA songs with keys are up to the higher ratings they have.

There's been a few tracks that were like that, but that one is the first to come to mind.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    The Frisk;4495025 said:
    For example, I'm curious about the RB3 version of Asking Alexandria's The Final Episode, mainly for the keys, but the demo/trial doesn't get to the keys part and there aren't any videos online.

You're kidding, right?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4494885 said:
    Is it unfamiliarity with the artists?
    That's pretty much it for me, combined with the fact that I spend way too much money on this stuff as it is. The disproportionate amount of crappy metal doesn't help (though as I understand it, that's more the other artists'/labels' fault). That said, I don't generalize and I always take a quick look at the release and the past few weeks have pretty good for me.

(for what it's worth I have something like 45 RBN songs)
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Santa Claustrophobia;4495045 said:
    Also here.

Can't find a video for "A Prophecy" yet.
  • edited September 2011
    The Frisk;4495025 said:
    I know I don't fit quite into the category defined in the OP, but of the songs I've been interested in buying but haven't, is due to the lack of preview videos.

For example, I'm curious about the RB3 version of Asking Alexandria's The Final Episode, mainly for the keys, but the demo/trial doesn't get to the keys part and there aren't any videos online. Makes me wonder if the keys part would be fun or not, and I'd rather not risk $2 and end up grabbing something that I feel isn't fun. Plus, after getting Morte et Dabo which had a 3 star rating (with only a couple of short parts on keys, should've been much lower rating than 3), I'm skeptical that the other AA songs with keys are up to the higher ratings they have.

There's been a few tracks that were like that, but that one is the first to come to mind.
    I'm not sure what you're typing into YouTube to find videos but i recently discovered that if you put in it works better then

More videos would be great though. I try to look up every 80 point song that comes out to see what its like and sometimes its really hard to find any vid. Just last week i had 80 points left over and tried to look up that English Rock Anthems song to see what the keys were like and all i could find was some guy FCing the drum chart. Well i ended up not getting it and now (thanks to Xbox Rewards) that 80 points is now 160 so i'm using it on next week Weezer DLC.

And about the keys on that Asking Alexandria song: the keys on that song suck. My brother insisted on getting one of their songs so i told him to get one with keys and i would play it with him and he got that one. After sitting there for what felt like 5 minutes of some guy screaming "Oh my God" there is like 10 notes at the very end.
  • The FriskThe Frisk Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    DragoonXD;4495056 said:
    Also here.

Can't find a video for "A Prophecy" yet.

Wasn't aware they hosted videos on their site, as I've always just checked youtube.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember this for future RA songs.
    MagicMurderBag7;4495063 said:
    I'm not sure what you're typing into YouTube to find videos but i recently discovered that if you put in it works better then

And about the keys on that Asking Alexandria song: the keys on that song suck. My brother insisted on getting one of their songs so i told him to get one with keys and i would play it with him and he got that one. After sitting there for what felt like 5 minutes of some guy screaming "Oh my God" there is like 10 notes at the very end.

Yeah, I was just typing in Asking Alexandria Final Episode Rock Band 3, and all I've gotten were the non RB3 version just played in rb3. In the past,that's always pulled up the video's I've been looking for, with very few exceptions. Looks like I need to be more specific in the future.

And yeah, looking at the chart, it doesn't seem to be worth it for the almost four minutes of waiting. Rather disappointing. I'm curious to see if the keys for A Prophecy is just as disappointing as Morte et Dabo and The Final Episode's.
    /offtopic
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    I've spent probably 2 grand on this platform, but I am still a casual music fan.

I buy stuff from bands that I have heard of and have produced popular music. I realize that's not "cool", but give me the hits from the big names, and I will buy them.

I've bought stuff from RBN, but its more "well-known" artists like Third Eye Blind, Creed, Finger Eleven, and Stan Bush.
    edited September 2011
    DragoonXD;4495056 said:

I'd say that video sums it up pretty good. Rightly or wrongly, I tend to assume all RBN songs are utter crap like this until I can conclusively prove otherwise.

That's also a pretty money-grabby "RB3 Version." Backup vocals are almost exclusively talkies, and there's like 30 seconds of keys. There would be a major crapstorm if that were official DLC.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited September 2011
    My short answer: HMX releases awesome DLC.

I've always thought so. Thus I don't have the time/money to look up the videos of RBN songs, but if something mainstream pops up (Flogging Molly, Anti-Flag, Bouncing Souls, Third Eye Blind, etc), I'll definitely buy.

Also, I could go off on a generalization and say I hate TEH METALZ and chiptune/novelty songs.
    edited September 2011
    I'd say it's still probably not too well-known, either. I remember playing RB2 and one of the loading screens said something like "If you have a favorite band you'd love to see in the game, tell them to release their songs on the Rock Band Network!" I had no clue what that was and just assumed it meant regular old, official DLC, and therefore had no clue why I would have any part in that. It's a little harder to be completely oblivious of it these days, considering both the in-game music store and the PlayStation Store (I imagine the same is true for Xbox) force you to come across the Network when DLC shopping, but I'm sure there's lots of DLC customers who see RBN or RBN2.0 and say "what the heck is that?" and then just go buy something they know from the ranks of official DLC.
  • edited September 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4495089 said:
    That's also a pretty money-grabby "RB3 Version." Backup vocals are almost exclusively talkies, and there's like 30 seconds of keys. There would be a major crapstorm if that were official DLC.
    Not sure if it is a problem with that song but some RB3 versions are just to give them proper pro-drums