One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

bmercibmerci Unsigned
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Please Please Please Make this song!!!! I'd pay triple!!

Comments

• don99913don99913 Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    the original is by John Lee Hooker and anyone who has only heard thorogoods version hasnt really heard the song yet
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    which means it's never coming, really...

it was released on alladin records, which was was sold to Lew Chudd's Imperial Records in 1961 and is today owned by EMI.

there ya go.

thorogood's version? owned by WMG

double no.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2011
    The Thorogood version is also a cover so that is really never happening via RBN.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Most of Thorogood's best work are covers.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited September 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4495355 said:
    The Thorogood version is also a cover so that is really never happening via RBN.

In other words, triple no.
  • lilchro2010lilchro2010 Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    FujiSkunk;4496107 said:
    In other words, triple no.

So does this mean the same thing for a cover such as Ghostrider - Spiderbait? :(
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    lilchro2010;4499186 said:
    So does this mean the same thing for a cover such as Ghostrider - Spiderbait? :(

It means the same thing for any songs that's a cover regardless of song or artist.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Catch-22;4499187 said:
    It means the same thing for any songs that's a cover regardless of song or artist.

With the exception that if the cover artist somehow obtained the rights to the song, then it could be allowed through RBN. But that would be very, very rare.

Specific song requests are probably better placed in the USL sub-forum or via the Song Request link. Especially if it's reasonably well known.
  • KarioChartsJerryKarioChartsJerry Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Santa Claustrophobia;4499450 said:
    With the exception that if the cover artist somehow obtained the rights to the song, then it could be allowed through RBN. But that would be very, very rare.

Specific song requests are probably better placed in the USL sub-forum or via the Song Request link. Especially if it's reasonably well known.

Nope! No covers period! This thread should be axed. I do love the original by Hooker and the cover by Thorogood but it's not coming to RBN.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    There was some misunderstanding about covers on RBN in the past. Even if an artist has the rights to cover a song and sell the song commercially, there is a lot more to it than that when it comes to being in Rock Band so it still wouldn't be allowed in the RBN.
    edited September 2011
    Kariodude;4499523 said:
    There was some misunderstanding about covers on RBN in the past. Even if an artist has the rights to cover a song and sell the song commercially, there is a lot more to it than that when it comes to being in Rock Band so it still wouldn't be allowed in the RBN.

I think what Santa Claustrophobia suggested was, it might be allowed if the covering artist not only had the necessary rights to publish a cover of the song, but had actually gone back and purchased all rights to the song, essentially becoming the song's true owner as far as the law is concerned. It's an interesting scenario, but one I'm sure hasn't come up yet, and is very unlikely to ever happen.
  • edited September 2011
    KarioChartsJerry;4499518 said:
    Nope! No covers period!

Which sucks because i would love to get Jonathan Coulton's cover of Baby Got Back and Honest Bob's amazing cover of Head Like A Hole.
    edited September 2011
    FujiSkunk;4499686 said:
    I think what Santa Claustrophobia suggested was, it might be allowed if the covering artist not only had the necessary rights to publish a cover of the song, but had actually gone back and purchased all rights to the song, essentially becoming the song's true owner as far as the law is concerned. It's an interesting scenario, but one I'm sure hasn't come up yet, and is very unlikely to ever happen.
    HMX doesn't want the headache of sorting out the rights to covers thus unless they're public domain they aren't happening.
    edited September 2011
    Catch-22;4499697 said:
    HMX doesn't want the headache of sorting out the rights to covers thus unless they're public domain they aren't happening.

A single source of all rights wouldn't be a headache to sort out.

Come on, we're being hypothetical here. Cut some slack.
    edited September 2011
    FujiSkunk;4499710 said:
    A single source of all rights wouldn't be a headache to sort out.

Come on, we're being hypothetical here. Cut some slack.

HMX would have to do due diligence to ensure they actually had the rights. You can't exactly take there word for it.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    We've already seen covers in RBN. Not many, but they're there. I'll let you figure out which ones they are.

And if due dilligence on HMX's part involved getting the necessary legal clearances, then if an artist can prove they own a song they didn't originally do, how is that more complicated than proving they own a song that they did originally do?

That HMX might say no anyway is pretty much a given. They refused a song that whose subject was material the song writer didn't own. The likelihood they'd refuse a song no matter how legal it was otherwise shouldn't be out of bounds.

If they changed the rules on it, then they changed the rules. But the initial position was that the song must be owned by the artist in question. At the time they made no distinction between specifically being the original artist and being somebody who owned the rights in question.

Which is academical to the idea that the OP song, whether by John Lee Hooker or George Thorogood might even see the light of day via RBN. The odds are so long that it's barely even worth debate. No matter who recorded it, it shows up as 'official' DLC.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Santa Claustrophobia;4499934 said:
    We've already seen covers in RBN. Not many, but they're there. I'll let you figure out which ones they are.

Um yeah, of public domain songs. Those are the only covers allowed and there aren't any others. Harmonix gives a flat no to any covers of non-public domain songs. No ifs, ands or buts about it.