• seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    In terms of mainstream rock:

Linkin Park
    Nickelback
    Paramore

aka, crap.

In terms of personal interest:

I dunno. I like a lot of albums and artists from the aughts. GY!BE, Mountain Goats and Agalloch come to mind for me.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    When I think of music from the y2k decade, it's usually along the lines of Black Metal, Viking Metal, and Folk Metal bands... ...Then again, this style of music is what I spent the better part of that decade listening to.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Chicago, America, Boston, Europe, Asia, Loverboy.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Post-hardcore, dance-rock/post-punk revival, electro-pop, roots-rock and/or folk-rock revival, and pop-rap.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited September 2011
    this depends on who you ask. the 2000's had no signatory sound for me.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Oscar-Rio;4495969 said:
    this depends on who you ask. the 2000's had no signatory sound for me.

Really depends on genre. Death metal got super stale. Rise of techdeath and over production, bad wankery with no good songwriting.

Black metal officially became a trend. Split in every way possible. Symphonic and saturated or fusing with everything from indie rock to american hardcore.

Power metal in the 2000s was completely lifeless, overblown, and more symphonic, progressive, and neoclassical then ever.

Thrash metal without groove and death influences came back. Although it never really left these bands started getting signed again.

Metal remains commercial with image and juvenile emotional appeal to 14 year old boys and girls with (melodic) metalcore.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Gowienczyk;4495714 said:
    "Whether Winehouse will get her life back on track is thus far unclear,"

Ouch.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Eminem. Too many reasons why.
  • kriskokrisko Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    These things defined music in the '00s:

Alternative rock bands who think it's funny to have overly long song titles.
    Lyrically focused more on clubgoing and party concerns.
    Autotune
    Reality competition winners (American Idol, X-Factor, etc.)
    "Buzz" bands (eg Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, The Strokes)
    Myspace and Facebook recognition
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    Onslaught_fei;4495778 said:
    Chicago, America, Boston, Europe, Asia, Loverboy.
    Those bands are timeless and transcend the ages
    Onslaught_fei;4495978 said:
    Really depends on genre. Death metal got super stale. Rise of techdeath and over production, bad wankery with no good songwriting.

Black metal officially became a trend. Split in every way possible. Symphonic and saturated or fusing with everything from indie rock to american hardcore.

Power metal in the 2000s was completely lifeless, overblown, and more symphonic, progressive, and neoclassical then ever.

Thrash metal without groove and death influences came back. Although it never really left these bands started getting signed again.

Metal remains commercial with image and juvenile emotional appeal to 14 year old boys and girls with (melodic) metalcore.

Pretty good synopsis of that happened to Metal as a whole the past 11 years.
  • coolsnoopy97coolsnoopy97 Rising Star
    edited September 2011
    Crap defined the 2000s. Horrible, horrible decade for music. I miss the 70s and I'm only 14, lol.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    coolsnoopy97;4496569 said:
    Crap defined the 2000s. Horrible, horrible decade for music. I miss the 70s and I'm only 14, lol.
    Wha? The 2000's was definitely one of the best decades of music.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited September 2011

it's like I'm really on youtube
  • clippsclipps Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    Hip hop: Eminem
    Rock: Avenged Sevenfold
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Runesmith;4495836 said:
    Post-hardcore, dance-rock/post-punk revival, electro-pop, roots-rock and/or folk-rock revival, and pop-rap.

Post-punk revival? Crap, I really haven't been paying attention :p
    clipps;4496882 said:

Now I'm sad.
    edited September 2011
    clipps;4496882 said:

I wouldn't say that A7X was the Rock band that defined the 2000's...
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    instantdeath999;4496937 said:

You know post-punk revival bands, though maybe by a different name. Bands like Interpol, The Strokes, The Fratellis, and so on are some of the bigger "post-punl revival" bands (though out of those I listed, I only dig Interpol).
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4496611 said:
    Wha? The 2000's was definitely one of the best decades of music.

The best full decade of music so far, only likely to be eclipsed by the 2010s.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    When I look back in twenty years, the two bands that will stand out as far as mainstream rock goes are Green Day and the Foo Fighters.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2011
    Green Day, Foo Fighters definitely, as far as rock goes. Also throw in your hat for RHCP, Coldplay, and possibly Arctic Monkeys for more or less headlining the revival of British rock

Black Eyed Peas for whatever genre they're in, Lady Gaga for pop. I can't really think of any other 00s bands that would 'define' the decade at the moment

EDIT: Oh, derp. Avenged Sevenfold (and Slipknot) have taken the definition of current metal as it is today, and Korn and Limp Bizkit (among others) have paved the way for nu-metal (though that's incredibly debatable)

Indie rock also saw a lot of defining, probably most famously with the frontman for Death Cab for Cutie

I'll think of more genres if I can, though I'm probably wrong for some of this
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2011

The 70s had its fair share of crap, too. Every decade does. You just gotta dig deeper in every decade to find the gold mines.
    instantdeath999;4496937 said:
    Absolutely. Interpol, Editors, Arcade Fire, The Sounds, TV On The Radio, The Killers, The Wombats, Lykke Li, etc. Post-punk revival acts were mostly popular in Europe, though. The US tends more towards butt-rock in this decade, I think.
    edited October 2011
    HeyRiles;4509081 said:
    Green Day, Foo Fighters definitely, as far as rock goes. Also throw in your hat for RHCP, Coldplay, and possibly Arctic Monkeys for more or less headlining the revival of British rock

Black Eyed Peas for whatever genre they're in, Lady Gaga for pop. I can't really think of any other 00s bands that would 'define' the decade at the moment

EDIT: Oh, derp. Avenged Sevenfold (and Slipknot) have taken the definition of current metal as it is today, and Korn and Limp Bizkit (among others) have paved the way for nu-metal (though that's incredibly debatable)

Indie rock also saw a lot of defining, probably most famously with the frontman for Death Cab for Cutie

I'll think of more genres if I can, though I'm probably wrong for some of this

I don't know, LB and Korn are pretty different.
    I categorize Korn as Nu Metal and Limp Bizkit as Rapcore/Rap Rock
  • SneakylooterSneakylooter Opening Act
    edited October 2011
    exploder;4511027 said:
    I don't know, LB and Korn are pretty different.
    I categorize Korn as Nu Metal and Limp Bizkit as Rapcore/Rap Rock
    Heres my thoughts:

Faith No More influenced Korn with the alternative rock funk while Rage Against the Machine influenced Limp Bizkit with the rap rock.

Then Korn influenced the traditional nu-metal bands like Coal Chamber. Limp Bizkit influenced the rapcore bands like Crazy Town. Both bands helped some groups get record deals like LB helping Staind.

Problem was the oversaturation along with "rules" such as no guitar solos EVER. (thanks for that Korn). At least now most are doing some solos.

I'm still wondering why deathcore appeared. I don't think MTV made that very popular. Neither Korn or Limp Bizkit sound like Suicide Silence and "Shredded Wheat".
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited October 2011
    Paramore is a 2000s band. And they're the bestest thing ever!!!
    So I say them<3
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited October 2011
    Cipher_Peon;4511417 said:
    Paramore is a 2000s band. And they're the bestest thing ever!!!
    So I say them<3</div>
    they are far from it, just a pretty face the world could have gone without
    Sneakylooter;4511366 said:
    Heres my thoughts:

Faith No More influenced Korn with the alternative rock funk while Rage Against the Machine influenced Limp Bizkit with the rap rock.

Then Korn influenced the traditional nu-metal bands like Coal Chamber. Limp Bizkit influenced the rapcore bands like Crazy Town. Both bands helped some groups get record deals like LB helping Staind.

Problem was the oversaturation along with "rules" such as no guitar solos EVER. (thanks for that Korn). At least now most are doing some solos.

I'm still wondering why deathcore appeared. I don't think MTV made that very popular. Neither Korn or Limp Bizkit sound like Suicide Silence and "Shredded Wheat".

you're splitting hairs here.

and Deathcore rose up from the rich white kid SoCal scene (I was there when it happened) bands like Winds of Plauge got huge here and that sound just migrated to any kid who thought it would be fun to scream obscenities
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited October 2011
    Lameboy19;4511456 said:
    they are far from it, just a pretty face the world could have gone without
    You're a killjoy, you know that? XP
    But it's quite alright~
    I know that they're a polarizing band, and you're entitled to your opinion. Just like I'm entitled to disagree with you and you're entitled to disagree about me disagreeing and I forgot where I'm going with this.
    But saying that the world could have done without them makes me all sorts of sad... I couldn't have done without them! D:
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited October 2011
    Cipher_Peon;4511470 said:
    You're a killjoy, you know that? XP
    But it's quite alright~
    I know that they're a polarizing band, and you're entitled to your opinion. Just like I'm entitled to disagree with you and you're entitled to disagree about me disagreeing and I forgot where I'm going with this.
    But saying that the world could have done without them makes me all sorts of sad... I couldn't have done without them! D:

By your logic, I could say that Transatlantic and Phideaux defined the 2000s, even if 99% of the general population has no idea who the hell either are (well, maybe not quite that high... I'm sure the soap opera addicts are aware of Phideaux's name, just weren't aware that he's a musician as well).