2011 NFL thread

Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
edited August 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
This one's for you Bach. :p

And Romo, just in case you play RB and are reading this, you suck!. :p

Comments

• Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited September 2011
    I can't believe the cowboys lost that one.. Were they trying to lose the second half bruther? Congrats to the New York Jets.

New York needed some exciting news today bruther since the Giants lost ha ha ha
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2011
    Hogan2000;4495852 said:
    I can't believe the cowboys lost that one.. Were they trying to lose the second half bruther?

It certainly looked that way. :p

Romo always blows it at critical moments though. That interception was blatantly stupid.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2011
    Lawdog1521;4495851 said:
    This one's for you Bach. :p

And Romo, just in case you play RB and are reading this, you suck!. :p

THANKS LD!!! I was feeling lazy. :p

EDIT: I guess I should "move" my comment to here then. :)

I know this is a college football thread, but there isn't an NFL one started (and I don't wanna start one myself), but I had to comment that my two favorite NFL teams won today...the Eagles...and whoever played the cowboys!!!
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    I thought KC over Buffalo was a sure thing and then they go and lose by five touchdowns. Broke my Eliminator streak before it got started. THANKS GUYS.

In other news, Atlanta should have saved all those picks they gave up for Julio to replace their entire OL. Chicago was going through Matt Ryan's pockets all day long.

And then there's Indy...this is what happens when you let the QB run the team.
  • RESERVERRESERVER Unsigned
    edited September 2011
    The lions won. that all that matters
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2011
    Oh man, the Jets barely got by that game. Thanks Romo, we owe you one.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    The Bad News: Seattle lost in humiliating fashion to the 49ers

The Good News: Seattle will likely be drafting Andrew Luck with the Number 1 pick in the draft Next April thanks to the 49ers winning this game. That's right, losing to a team with Alex Smith as their QB while starting Tavaris Jackson puts the Seahawks in prime territory for "Suck for Luck" mode
    edited September 2011
    macamatic;4495879 said:
    I thought KC over Buffalo was a sure thing and then they go and lose by five touchdowns. Broke my Eliminator streak before it got started. THANKS GUYS.

In other news, Atlanta should have saved all those picks they gave up for Julio to replace their entire OL. Chicago was going through Matt Ryan's pockets all day long.

And then there's Indy...this is what happens when you let the QB run the team.
    Those picks will help the Browns finally get players.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2011
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited September 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4495913 said:

The Good News: Seattle will likely be drafting Andrew Luck with the Number 1 pick in the draft Next April thanks to the 49ers winning this game. That's right, losing to a team with Alex Smith as their QB while starting Tavaris Jackson puts the Seahawks in prime territory for "Suck for Luck" mode

Yes, ugly game - a few bright spots but not enough to get excited about.

Sigh - that's my team!
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited September 2011

So far it looks like a 3-horse race: the Seahawks, Chiefs (41-7 Buffalo? Really?) and PeytonsimeanColts. Heck, if I were the Colts, I'd shelve Manning for the year, tank the season and draft Luck as his backup. :D

It was fun watching the Bears' D-line shred Atlanta's inexperienced and injured O-line. Next week will be fun when they go up against Kreutz and the Saints.

I hope there's a Tebow sighting on Monday night, then my opening weekend wishlist will be complete.
  • edited September 2011
    I expect this year will start a lot like last year ended. The lockout means teams haven't had as much opportunity to make adjustments and personnel moves.

So far the elite teams still look pretty elite and the bad teams still look pretty bad. There were a few WTF moments though. (Pittsburgh losing big, for example)

NFC North looks like an absolute meat grinder. The only question is if they get 1 wild card team or 2.
    edited September 2011
    Apples;4496095 said:
    I expect this year will start a lot like last year ended. The lockout means teams haven't had as much opportunity to make adjustments and personnel moves.

So far the elite teams still look pretty elite and the bad teams still look pretty bad. There were a few WTF moments though. (Pittsburgh losing big, for example)

NFC North looks like an absolute meat grinder. The only question is if they get 1 wild card team or 2.

I'm going with one. I don't buy Chicago, not even for a second. The Lions should compete for a wild card spot.
    edited September 2011
    Cubecubed;4496156 said:
    I'm going with one. I don't buy Chicago, not even for a second. The Lions should compete for a wild card spot.
    You know Chicago won the division last year, right? I don't think they can hang with the Packers, but they'll sail past Minnesota and Stafford should be fearing for his life if they can keep up that pass rush. They still have to get through New Orleans and Philly, but they could easily lose as many as 6 games and still vie for a wildcard spot.

That said, I don't think they'll get two. Specifically, I don't see any way the South doesn't get one.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2011
    The season finally starts tonight
    edited September 2011
    macamatic;4496230 said:
    You know Chicago won the division last year, right? I don't think they can hang with the Packers, but they'll sail past Minnesota and Stafford should be fearing for his life if they can keep up that pass rush. They still have to get through New Orleans and Philly, but they could easily lose as many as 6 games and still vie for a wildcard spot.

That said, I don't think they'll get two. Specifically, I don't see any way the South doesn't get one.

Yeah they did, and it took a golden horseshoe up their ass to get them there. I have Chicago at 8-8 this year.
    edited September 2011
    CJHobbes;4496090 said:
    So far it looks like a 3-horse race: the Seahawks, Chiefs (41-7 Buffalo? Really?) and PeytonsimeanColts. Heck, if I were the Colts, I'd shelve Manning for the year, tank the season and draft Luck as his backup. :D

The Chiefs should still be good enough to win against their weaker division foes (Raiders and Broncos) and they have what should be a good running scheme.

The Colts I could see being bad enough to be in the Suck For Luck sweepstakes thanks to Peyton's neck issues but they play the Titans (who are relying on Matt Hasselbeck staying healthy) and the Jaguars (currently they are starting McClown?!?) twice.

I still think that the 'Skins would be the team most likely to be favorites in the Suck For Luck (Even though they won, they're still starting Rex Grossman) with the Seahawks, Broncos, and Bills being the other teams in the running, though out of those teams my Seahawks are the only ones to lose so far.
    edited September 2011
    Cubecubed;4496339 said:
    Yeah they did, and it took a golden horseshoe up their ass to get them there. I have Chicago at 8-8 this year.
    I see the Bears going 7-9 though I also see the Falcons being pretty bad this year thanks to drafting Julio Jones that high
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    The Good News: Seattle lost in humiliating fashion to the 49ers

Fixed that for you. =D
    edited September 2011
    soup567;4496505 said:
    Fixed that for you. =D
    Only good news for the 49er fans. ;)
    edited September 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4496516 said:
    Only good news for the 49er fans. ;)

All you have to do to send them into either a rage or hysterical sobbing is remind them who their QB is. :p
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    I miss Joe Montana.

;_;
    edited September 2011
    Smith is payback for all the great QB's they've had over the years.
    edited September 2011
    Lawdog1521;4496517 said:
    All you have to do to send them into either a rage or hysterical sobbing is remind them who their QB is. :p

At the moment, it also sends us Seahawks fans into a rage being reminded of who our QB is, though not quite on this level.
    Lawdog1521;4496535 said:
    With that logic, the next QB the Seahawks draft should be an All Time NFL Great to make up for Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Kelly Stouffer, etc... all by the way monumentally bad NFL busts
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    I'll just let Bart Scott tell you all my thoughts on the upcoming season.
    edited September 2011
    Well, my team is starting off as expected... a fumble on the first play and a minor fight following it. Go Raiders! :p
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Lawdog1521;4496535 said:

The great thing about Smith is he's in his 6th year.

Yep, you read that right. :P
    Cubecubed;4496339 said:

Don't forget the Bears play the AFC West this year. That'll be good for 3 wins already. Couple that with a Panthers and Seattle win, and they're already up to 6. Add another 2 wins against Minnesota, a split with Detroit, and a possible TB victory and that's 10. I think they snag a wild card, but they don't win the division. It's GB's division to lose right now.

I think they looked good against Atlanta, but it's nothing to get overly excited about. They played good Bears football: gritty D, pressure on the QB, efficient-but-not-explosive offense. Cutler looks much more comfortable in the Martz system and seemed to make all the right reads and passes. Then again, Denver fans know how much Cutler can change from week to week, so we'll see!

I'd say Detroit has a good chance at the 2nd wild card, but I think they'll be fighting against Tampa. I'm thinking NO wins the East, while Tampa takes 2nd and Atlanta under performs at 7-9 or 8-8.

@darkwinter Concerning your QB, just keep your eyes on the prize. Whenever you see Tarvaris drop back to pass, just think: "9 more months until Luck." :D
    edited September 2011
    The Raiders would be racking up a nice amount of offensive yards... if they weren't moving backwards every play due to penalties.
    edited September 2011
    CJHobbes;4496918 said:
    I'd say Detroit has a good chance at the 2nd wild card, but I think they'll be fighting against Tampa. I'm thinking NO wins the East, while Tampa takes 2nd and Atlanta under performs at 7-9 or 8-8.
    NO, TB, and ATL are in the South. The East is Philly's to lose without a doubt. Detroit is an unknown entity at this point but I simply can't pick them to compete for a playoff berth. They've won 6, 2, and 0 games in the last three years and haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. That just doesn't add up for me.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2011
    I say give Detroit another year or two. A playoff spot is a long shot right now, but wouldn't be totally unexpected. That D-Line will be fearsome for years to come, but I think Fairley will need a year to get completely accustomed to the NFL. The secondary could use a little work. They've got a really solid offense, so long as Stafford stays healthy. They play in a really tough division (Vikings notwithstanding), and I think their inexperience in a playoff race catches up with them by the end of this season.