"Getting our songs on Rock Band is too expensive, not worth it sorry!"

kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
edited September 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I've talked to a ton of bands over the past couple months and I've heard the "too expensive" reasoning from quite a few of them. These are bands that are tour nationally and would probably sell a pretty decent amount... so what sort of prices are scaring them away?

This could be something else to think about when wondering why certain bands aren't interested in RBN...

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2011
    kingtonyx;4496381 said:
    I've talked to a ton of bands over the past couple months and I've heard the "too expensive" reasoning from quite a few of them. These are bands that are tour nationally and would probably sell a pretty decent amount... so what sort of prices are scaring them away?

This could be something else to think about when wondering why certain bands aren't interested in RBN...

Maybe they only know of the authors who have an upfront charge, and don't realize that most do not, and only ask for a curtain amount of the income.

With a certain band I'm in contact with, their first question was "How much will it cost?" So maybe they think they always have to pay additional money to get their songs in. Of coarse, I explained that I don't ask for a charge and such, and they're trying to see if their publisher will allow it.
  • Rise 2 FallRise 2 Fall Opening Act
    edited September 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4496395 said:
    Maybe they only know of the authors who have an upfront charge, and don't realize that most do not, and only ask for a curtain amount of the income.

With a certain band I'm in contact with, their first question was "How much will it cost?" So maybe they think they always have to pay additional money to get their songs in. Of coarse, I explained that I don't ask for a charge and such, and they're trying to see if their publisher will allow it.

I think artists & labels need to be made more aware of authors rates. I think for the most part it could be a misunderstanding, or RBN is seen as a gamble to many because of the growing lack of interest in music games. IMO.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    Heck, some artists think the exact opposite. I remember some post about a guy who wanted to charge $1000 for liscencing his track for release.

Personally I just do percentage splits for my personal work
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2011
    Tell them to talk to us. Or Fairwood. I know both of our groups charge next to nothing for this very reason.

We're trying to work with the bands that wouldn't come to RBN in the first place due to the high cost of entry. Even more so now that sales have really slowed on the RBN front.

So yeah. Point em to us or Fairwood (and of course any other percentage authors that wants to chime in the thread as well :) ).

In our case tell them to name their price. We're about the music, not the money.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited September 2011
    Yeah the "I paid nothing" info has certainly piqued the interest of a few of them, mostly bands I was already friends with. One of the bands I was going to send your way ended up being associated with Century Media so I guess they have to go through them or something.

The other two more recent ones hopefully will get in contact with you soon :D
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4496453 said:
    Tell them to talk to us. Or Fairwood. I know both of our groups charge next to nothing for this very reason.

...Well I wouldn't say "next to nothing". :P The way we structure rates it's entirely possible at least one client will work out to be better up-front than by split.

That said, don't expect anyone to say specific rates out in the open, it's usually kept quiet for good reason.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited September 2011
    yeah I'm not trying to call anyone out in particular or looking for people to name prices

it's just unfortunate that there were bands that we probably could have gotten but were scared away by price